It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 209
<< 206  207  208    210  211  212 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
We seem to be thinned out on writers a bit, so I've sent out a message to a fantastic writer at ATS to see if they might be interested in signing on for a while. We'll see how it goes. This could be a grand point in the story to introduce another character, if they agree.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Sorry about not being able to post - had a mess in my hen house to clean up. Something got in and played massacre.

Also, Neno, I've worked out the dialog so we're all set - though I'll add if there's something you want changed, of course I'll change it, but though there's a chunk of story, it contains very little back and forth between myself and your 'apparition'...

Off to work on post.

And thanks for sending out the recruiting notices!

peace

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The writer I mentioned, 'A boy in a dress', likes the story line, and is a GREAT writer, but hasn't got writer status yet. He came to my attention in a thread on the hoax perpetrated by "Dr." Judy Faltskog and Wayne Herschel concerning a spurious "UV signal" alleged to have been received on a radio telescope (long story, but the short and skinny is 'can't happen'). The levity he injected into that thread kept a lot of folks just rolling.

Here's an example of his writing: The Good, the BIAD, and the Ungainly. I've no doubt he'll be an asset to the Space Opera, but we need to get his writer status expedited.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Sorry about not being able to post - had a mess in my hen house to clean up. Something got in and played massacre.

We used to have problems like that when I was growing up, with weasels and foxes and such. Started raising game chickens (AKA 'fighting roosters'), and the problem got solved. Then we had an ancillary problem with the hens roosting in trees instead of the chicken house, and hiding their nests out in the wilderness. Made gathering eggs interesting, though. Those types of chickens are just a half-step away from wild, but they don't take much crap from predators. 400 of them at one time were a bit much, though. Dear old dad liked his fowls.

Raised ducks, too, the big white ones, and a wild mallard drake came and took up with them. Disappeared every winter, cam right back every spring. Snapping turtles were the predators on them. That's how I learned to make turtle soup.

Also, Neno, I've worked out the dialog so we're all set - though I'll add if there's something you want changed, of course I'll change it, but though there's a chunk of story, it contains very little back and forth between myself and your 'apparition'...

I've no doubt in your ability to hash it out, and I'm sure it'll be fine!

Off to work on post.

What was it that SOMEONE said a few posts above? Oh, yeah, "anticipayshunnn..." My knuckles on my index finger are getting worn down, what with sitting here, clicking the 'refresh' button...

And thanks for sending out the recruiting notices!

No problem! Thrashing around ATS, I stumbled across a perfect candidate, and couldn't let it pass without at least TRYING!

[edit on 2010/6/20 by nenothtu]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Great opening posts, BIAD!

That 'Creator' character sounds disturbingly like the real me... you been peeping out of my monitor?

Worryingly thin? - Check.

Old? - Check.

Bony shoulders? - Check

The only thing you left out is the beard long enough to get caught in his belt buckle!

And this line: "... it's your heart that will conquer all" ... that's right close to what I've been trying to impress on my son (who is hell bent on a military career). He's all worried about bulking up, and I keep telling him all that muscle won't do a bit of good without the heart to employ it, except I phrase it more along the lines of:

"Determination. You gotta be determined that ain't nothing gonna slow you down. Anything your mind leads to, your ass will follow, however scrawny. It's ALL 90% in the mind."

Don't know why he settled on one sort of SpecOps or another, where they drag your bedraggled carcass through (and you sometimes die IN) all manner of mud and unpleasantness - and that's just the training.

Of course, my scrawny old butt can still take him, bulked up or not. Practical demonstrations are everything!

Once again, great posts! I'm looking forward to working with you.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Thank you Neno, and I hope I'm not encroaching on anything
that's being built... new guys are always looked on warily.

I feel for you with your advice to your son, but heh...? did we
understand everything at that age?
We thought we did!

I'm not too up on 'techno-talk' and you'll see my scribblings
will give off an impression of someone who's been left behind.
I hope that's okay, I know it can give other's a greater freedom
to inflate the story... sometimes, a tale is ruined by too many cooks!

Keep clattering away on that keyboard and see you soon.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

WELCOME!

Great first posts - I really enjoyed them.
You've got a great style and it's obvious you'll be a great addition!

Welcome again!

Neno - I've got some heavy editing to do to my last posts, but, I had to get them up there for you as not to hold you up any longer.

I had some huge connection problems yesterday and just couldn't get on line to post them.

Anyway, I hope it works for you.

I had to finish up the little problem of Ship's water in the first post - before moving on to your 'ghostly' self, so they ended up being a couple long posts, but, there ya go.

Again, I hope it works for you.

peace

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I'm still playing 'catch-up' as I wish to attempt to 'smooth'
BIAD's passage (hoo-er!) into the storyline.
Thank you very much for this opportunity.
BIAD.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress
reply to post by silo13

I'm still playing 'catch-up' as I wish to attempt to 'smooth'
BIAD's passage (hoo-er!) into the storyline.
Thank you very much for this opportunity.
BIAD.

Welcome, welcome BIAD...very fun introduction of your character.
Good stuff from you to Silo, sorry I missed the party.

Neno as well.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Yeah, it was a bummer not having you there (as I said in the story line too)...
My character misses your character...

So, I'll not be going to the cabin after all - at least for now.

In between figuring out what to do for Neno I'll be stuck doing housecleaning fixing up the Hydroponic areas etc.

BUT! I'm ready to jump in any time you call! (Pirate things, cabin things, etc etc.)

I think what I will do though if it's ok with you is ask Carpet to contact your babies there at the cabin and ask around about you...

Please let me know if or how you want me to do this.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Neno - I've got some heavy editing to do to my last posts, but, I had to get them up there for you as not to hold you up any longer.

I had some huge connection problems yesterday and just couldn't get on line to post them.

Anyway, I hope it works for you.

Yup. looks great to me!

I've been having some connectivity problem of my own, so I feel for ya. The router here has gone wonky, and cuts the internet off at random, then I have to reset the blasted thing. On top of that, I had to re-do the windows partition on this machine from the ground up, then, since I set it up as a dual boot system with both windows and linux, I had to re-do the boot leader, too, so it could find both of those operating systems, depending on which one I want to boot into. Still mucking about in the windows to get that straight, and useful software reinstalled.

I'll try to raise another post in the next day or so, but it won't be anything Earth shattering (no puns intended, there) until I see which way Cindymars and Studious go.

BIAD, your character is gonna be mighty disappointed if he manages to snatch that wee bauble when he finds out it's already used up all it's power in that one shot! Not to mention that neno may get a little rowdy over it, since he's found out it's an Earth globe after it stopped glowing from the power. Earth is about the only thing he's got all emotional over. It'll be sort of like trying to steal a steak from a tiger... AND he'd be buck naked then!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Thank you for the welcome and I will try my best.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
BIAD, what software are you using to create and manipulate the figures in your avatars and pictures? Is it DAZ Studio, or Poser, or something of that nature? Just curious, as I've been tinkering with DAZ in an amateurish manner, trying to produce something useable, but without much luck so far.

Now that I've re-done my Windows partition, I can't get much of anything I previously created in it to work. Life in the fast lane, I reckon! I was trying to manipulate figures to represent characters in the Space Opera (like the Cim Pictures I posted several pages back), and just haven't been lucky enough to stumble across the right answers, and probably just too bull-headed to read instructions.

I don't use the instruction sheet to build models or bicycles, either - but generally have better luck with them...

[edit on 2010/6/22 by nenothtu]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Instructions? What instructions!

We 'Spacers' write them as we go -

Speaking of 'where we're going...' Neno... Where we goin?

Ok ok I got it you're holding off to hear from Studious (me too)... And while we're waiting I'm going to be trying to figure out how to 'talk' to you or to get another message from you.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Instructions? What instructions!

We 'Spacers' write them as we go -

Speaking of 'where we're going...' Neno... Where we goin?

Ok ok I got it you're holding off to hear from Studious (me too)... And while we're waiting I'm going to be trying to figure out how to 'talk' to you or to get another message from you.

Any thoughts?

Well, neno has to take another trip into the 'tween to get a message out that Studious doesn't have him any more, but considering the 'unconsciousness' he has to undergo to get there, it just ain't safe for him to do it at the moment - I think. I'm not really sure how that works just yet. Still have to figure out just where he 'is', too. I'm toying with the notion of him finding a derelict spaceship on the surface of wherever he is, and if he can't use bubblegum and bailing wire to make it fly again, at least he might be able to make the communication unit work to get a message out that way.

That option could provide some of the modern conveniences of life, too, so he can stop fiddling around with pointy sticks and sharp rocks. Heck, he might even find an apron on it that the cook left behind to cover his nethers with or something like that!

The catch is, if he's in Elven Land, he's not likely to find such a thing, or, if he did, it might not work to communicate across dimensions and time.

I'm stumped at the moment, but I bet I don't stay that way!

[edit on 2010/6/23 by nenothtu]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Ok...love you guys but you have both placed yourselves in Elf land, so I have some say so...I love everything so far, especially some of the scary creatures that BIAD created.

I had an ideal last night, up too you two guys though. What about a Robinson Cruso and Boy?Girl Friday scenario? The old Elf discovers the scary creatures are in their territory as are you 2 and ask Cim to raise a shield if she can. Then we can eventually find the portal and go thru it either to the Yydryl or somewhere.

What say you? Neno? BIAD?.....No space ships in Elf forest.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Sounds like a winner to me, but I've got a couple of questions/comments:

1) how would this shield work? Is it something that neno would bump up against (I see visions of naked street mimes doing the 'inside a box' routine... and they are DISTURBING visions...
), thus preventing entry to the Elven village?

2) Robinson Crusoe does come to mind, but given the take I've got on BIAD's character so far, I'm not sure that a 'servant' type of Friday would be in order. I get a distinct feeling that BIAD would balk at any such arrangement, and neno would be decidedly uneasy with having a servant.

Maybe a modification of that would work out. I get a feeling that BIAD is decidedly able to take care of himself in this environment (I'm still pondering what happened to the rest of the bloke whose EAR was on the ground under the captive BIAD), and that BIAD has been in this place long enough to have a much firmer grasp on the way things work there than neno. Kinda puts neno at a disadvantage, but it's not like that's a strange place to be to him.

3) Spaceships? we don' need no stinkin' spaceships!
Finding any sort of spaceship in this forest would do no good if it's in Elven Land anyhow. No where to travel to in that dimensional shift/ time shift to further the story, and 'radio' wouldn't be likely to punch messages through to the 'home' dimension or time. Therefore, there's nothing useful to be found in a derelict spaceship that couldn't be found in, say for instance, an abandoned cottage.

So agreed, no spaceships will be harmed in the development of this branch of the Opera.

I reckon we could further develop this subplot while waiting on the Old Elf's story to roll out of the aetheric muses. It's rolling that way anyhow. Neno now has confirmation that he ain't alone... and really HAS been watched, as opposed to fallible 'feelings' of being watched.

I'll take that as assent that we ARE in Elven land, and proceed accordingly, unless instructed otherwise. After all, it IS your creation, and I'm just not willing to stomp on it.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Sounds like a winner to me, but I've got a couple of questions/comments:

1) how would this shield work? Is it something that neno would bump up against (I see visions of naked street mimes doing the 'inside a box' routine... and they are DISTURBING visions...
), thus preventing entry to the Elven village?

Yes it would be like a large bubble and yes you described it correctly and made me LMAO.

2) Robinson Crusoe does come to mind, but given the take I've got on BIAD's character so far, I'm not sure that a 'servant' type of Friday would be in order. I get a distinct feeling that BIAD would balk at any such arrangement, and neno would be decidedly uneasy with having a servant.

A version not a servant but reluctant ally.

Maybe a modification of that would work out. I get a feeling that BIAD is decidedly able to take care of himself in this environment (I'm still pondering what happened to the rest of the bloke whose EAR was on the ground under the captive BIAD), and that BIAD has been in this place long enough to have a much firmer grasp on the way things work there than neno. Kinda puts neno at a disadvantage, but it's not like that's a strange place to be to him.

3) Spaceships? we don' need no stinkin' spaceships!
Finding any sort of spaceship in this forest would do no good if it's in Elven Land anyhow. No where to travel to in that dimensional shift/ time shift to further the story, and 'radio' wouldn't be likely to punch messages through to the 'home' dimension or time. Therefore, there's nothing useful to be found in a derelict spaceship that couldn't be found in, say for instance, an abandoned cottage.

So agreed, no spaceships will be harmed in the development of this branch
of the Opera.

LOL

I reckon we could further develop this subplot while waiting on the Old Elf's story to roll out of the aetheric muses. It's rolling that way anyhow. Neno now has confirmation that he ain't alone... and really HAS been watched, as opposed to fallible 'feelings' of being watched.

I'll take that as assent that we ARE in Elven land, and proceed accordingly, unless instructed otherwise. After all, it IS your creation, and I'm just not willing to stomp on it.

Ok, already the flipping muses have been on vacation. I am sorry. I still have not come up with a story and will use the creatures BIAD mentioned as a diversion. LMFAO!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Fear not, the muse will flow again... probably in a torrent. That's the way it seems to go around here! Meanwhile, back in the forest, the diversionary tactic is a splendid idea.

I'll hang back until BIAD finishes his fight to the death yarn, so that we get a bit more insight into the character. What I'm getting so far is a pragmatist, who can be a very dangerous opponent indeed. That's the thing about pragmatism - it frequently prevents needless bloodshed - and goes whole hog when bloodshed is called for.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu and CindyMars

Hi you two
- well you 3 including BIAD!

The impression I got from Neno and BIAD comes from a movie and I'm just beside myself I can't remember the name of it.

An older movie - black and white - takes place on an island during or just after the big war. Two male inhabitants on the island - one American, one Chinese or Japanese (sorry I don't remember) - Anyway - they go to hell and back trying to live together. Caprturing each other. Quasi torturing each other. Really interesting study in human nature though.

Anyway - it's a fantastic movie... I'll see what I can do to hunt down the name...

Elf Land huh... This should be cool! Can't wait to read more...

peace

EDIT TO ADD: *Reminds self to finish morning coffee before reading Neno posts...* The naked mime thingy got me...

[edit on 24-6-2010 by silo13]

new topics

top topics

<< 206  207  208    210  211  212 >>

join