It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 206
<< 203  204  205    207  208  209 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
How'd that happen :O

Sorry!

[edit on 16-4-2010 by silo13]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Hey my best friend died last week so I have only been writing his eulogy.

see yall soon.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

My heart goes out to you...
If there's anything I can do please don't hesitate to get in touch.
I hope you find peace soon friend...

As for the Opera, it will be here when you get back.
In the mean time I'll stick up the Deez post and then sit back and stop in every once in a while to see what you all are up to.

peace

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Apologies for my prolonged absence. I've been busy cleaning up tornado wreckage from my yard, and this past Monday, after 2 weeks, the city saw fit to grace my humble abode with an inspector, who promptly pronounced my domicile as 'uninhabitable', effectively rendering me homeless once again. As I've said elsewhere, a man ought to be prepared to pack his bags many times over a lifetime, and this is but one more of those times. This too shall pass.

I'm staying with a friend in the interim, while I plot my next course of action. The upshot of that is that I still have internet.

I've made my next post in the continuing Studious-neno saga. Oh, the ignominy of it all! Neno a captive of the very man he came to imprison! Ain't it funny how life throws curves at you? What was, is no more, and what ought not to be comes to pass with regularity!

For the rest of you facing trying times (and that seems to be nearly all at present) I've found over time that it's best to face directly into the oncoming waves, and ride them to the crest. Don't ever let them catch you broadside.

That'll cause a capsize, every time.

Prof-Rabbit: I've been where you are, and not so long ago. That's why I have all the confidence in the world that you can grit your teeth and get through to the other side. Should you need someone to rage to, or at, someone to bounce frustrations off of, or express incoherencies to, or just a place to vent, my office door is always open.

Cindy Mars: I've been where you are, too, more than once, which is how I know that I just don't have the words to express my sympathy. Nonetheless, my thoughts are with you.

Silo13: Your predicament sounds like a detached retina to me. That's somewhere I AIN'T been. I'm hoping all the best for you. Take care of it, and know that, as you've ably expressed to others, the Opera will be here, it ain't going nowhere. I have a pretty good idea of how tough you are, so I've got all the faith in the world in you.

[edit on 2010/4/22 by nenothtu]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Neno,
Ya know, looking over your post and all 'we' Opera people are going through - wow - almost makes me think we're cursed. Thank goodness the lot of us have grit and grin to get us through! My best to you and the rest, keeping the 'good vibes' (prayers) going for you all.

Your post in the Neno Studious saga was my most enjoyable read all day. I can't wait to see how it goes from there... At least you're not getting your eyes pecked out by those Buzzards~!

peace to all of you

gracie

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The sky is flat white and cloudless. The sand colored horizon stretches as far as the eye can see. Waves of heat radiate in the distance and dust devils dance in the glare.

In the distance a cloud of dust rises from a point on the horizon. A glint of sunlight is reflected from a cracked windshield. As the dust approaches a fast moving vehicle comes into view. Gun barrels protrude from the open windows of a small battered pickup.

As the truck approaches figures in the back can be seen wearing sun glasses and cloth wrapped around their faces. The driver is a six foot badger with a full growth of beard wearing a ball cap with a bullet hole in the bill. The radio blares out an Arabic rendition of Steve Earl's 'Copperhead Road ' through blown speakers.

The rumble of mortar fire can be heard in the distance.
The driver honks the horn as the truck speeds past. A furry paw waves fom the drivers window and is lost in the ensuing cloud of dust.

Overhead a C-130 Cargo plane drones past at low altitude. The jump gate opens and a box is pushed from the plane. It descends on a parachute and lands with a puff of dust.

On the box is a label that reads "Contents, Chocolate Cake and Tequila. Enjoy."

Badger

[edit on 27-4-2010 by badgerprints]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Ok People, it's been ages.
I understand the problems people are encountering in their lives... And no, I'm not trying to be pushy... I'm asking a question:

Are you '_____' (Add your name here) going to continue the Space Opera or not? (and I SO HOPE SO)!

I want to go ahead - So please, could everyone involved let me know if I should just keep posting and wait for others to join in - OR - do you want me to hold off until you all get back into the swing?

I hope you all are finding life better than the day before...

peace

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Are you '_____' (Add your name here) going to continue the Space Opera or not? (and I SO HOPE SO)!

I Studious am going to continue the Space Opera.

I wouldn't mind if you kept posting as long as we don't do anything too drastic or do things that effect everyone.

We need to let everyone catch up. If you want to continue posting more character development stories that won't effect people while they are still gone then I'm all for you continuing to post.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Studious]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Point taken - and no I wouldn't post anything to foul others up.
I would like to clear up the cocoons though but we all agreed a while back that wouldn't be a problem but since your crew was involved in that I probably should leave them around - gives you a reason to come back on the Yydryl.
Not that you need one I'm sure you can write one up all by yourself!

Thank you Studious and I'm wicked glad you're sticking around. I for one miss your posts!

peace

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I'm still in, too! Keep posting, by all means! I'm dying to find out what that devious little rat with opposable thumbs and power of speech is up to. Unfortunately for the Universe, neno is in no condition to melt Deez's brain at a distance with powerful thought waves at the moment...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

HE'S ALIVE!

Hi ya Neno, soooo glad to hear you're sticking around - that's just FAB news!

*Doing Happy Dance*

Will be posting again today or tomorrow - thanks!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I have recently said that I am still on board but I had an accident on Friday and life is just tough.

Post away I enjoy reading them.

Got an idea finally what happened when Cim went into portal.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

I hope things are easing up a bit - a lot...

So you've got the portal thing worked out? Looking forward to a good read from you!

hugs

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Question to anyone reading this post, lol!

If a space ship, for whatever reason - the inside pressure were to drop and without the means to stabilize the pressure wouldn't it implode?

Here's the scenario in quotes.

Let's say there's a big ball in space and it's filled with half air and half water.

The water begins to build, causing pressure inside the ball.

If you release too much of the water and all at once, you create a vacuum inside the ball right?

Wouldn't the ball implode???

Space Opera Writers
Same question...

We all know the Yydryl is alive, but, if her pressure, for whatever reason, were to drop drastically inside wouldn't she implode??? Especially if she has nothing in place at this moment to regulate a huge drop in pressure?

It's something I know nothing about so asking for help from everyone here.

Thanks~!

peace

[edit on 7-5-2010 by silo13]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Naw, it wouldn't implode. There is virtually NO pressure in space, so there would be no external pressure to bear on the outer surface to crush it.

I used to take 1 gallon tin cans with screw on caps and use them to demonstrate air pressure. You put a little water inside (maybe an inch deep or so in a 1 gallon paint thinner can), heat it to a good rolling boil, then take it off the fire and cap it. Then, just sit and watch. As the water inside cools, and the steam condenses back into water, the pressure inside it drops, and reaches a point where the can seems to implode. Whats actually happening is that as the pressure inside it drops, the pressure outside it bears down, and it's actually the outside pressure crushing it.

But in space, there isn't any outside pressure to do the crushing.

What would likely happen is that, if it were a slow 'leak', and the pressure equalized slowly, you would just end up with no pressure inside, as the inside pressure leaked slowly out and tried to fill all of space. If it were a FAST leak, there's always the chance of structural failure cascading at the leak site, causing what amounts to an explosion, from inside towards the outside.

Now, biological systems are another matter. Every cell in a body has internal pressure, to balance out the atmospheric pressure in the environment around it. Otherwise, our bodies would implode. The integumentary system (skin and such) as a whole would probably stay intact, but individual cells would probably rupture, and capillaries would leak, most notably around the weaker, more tender areas, like the eyeballs.

I've heard, but ain't sure, that lungs will emerge from the mouth through the throat, eyes will bleed, and eventually the body will freeze solid in that condition.

I know, gruesome. It just is what it is.

In the case of Yydryl, we know her outer 'shell' is designed or grown, or however formed, to withstand the vacuum of space. We know this because she hasn't exploded or ruptured cell membranes on her outer skin. Inside is another matter altogether. I suppose her insides could be of the same material as her outsides, or it could be more like normal biological tissue. I suppose that in the final analysis, that's really a call that you and CindyMars will have to make.

[edit on 2010/5/7 by nenothtu]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Wow. What a cool post... I'm going to go back and read it again to make sure I burn it on my memory - no joke. I was absolutely sure if something happened to the pressure you'd implode or explode. I guess I watched 'Outland' with ol Sean Conory too many times!

As for the Yydryl, well, her outside, as you said is 'grown that way' (how's that for a technical description) and her inside is both hardware and bio-ware meshed together...

EDIT TO GO TO U2U! Too much of a spoiler!

THANK YOU TONS NENO!

peace

[edit on 8-5-2010 by silo13]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

As long as the Yydryl stays in tact Silo can do whatever she likes.
Still working on post.

Love you guys!

Peace!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
*Waves hi to all the above*...

Well, I held off on my post for several reasons.

One, I had to digest the info Neno sent - and I THANK YOU AGAIN Neno for the time and information you afforded me concerning implosions, etc.

Second, I was in contact with the REAL DESON and was waiting to hear if he would pop in for a cameo of sorts.

Believe me, he wanted to in the worst way, but, for reasons beyond his control he wont be adding to the Opera for the time being.

So! Let's see if the post I cam up with will work - or not!

PEACE ALL!

HUGGERS

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Still working on a post, should finish soon.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Excellent post, Silo! I could just about see Ship trying to cross her legs tight and dance!

And the part at the end - Deez, Dark Lord, Hell - seems we get a glimpse of an ancient association for the Dark Lord. Some things are constant in human perception, and only the names change over time...

Does this make Deez a 'little devil'? An Imp? He certainly seems to fit the mold with all those nefarious goings-on he's up to... LOL

top topics

<< 203  204  205    207  208  209 >>

join