It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 203
<< 200  201  202    204  205  206 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Did a temporary upload of the 3ds model to ATS. You can find it at:

media.abovetopsecret.com...

But I had to change the file extension to BMP from ZIP to get it to upload, so you'll have to change the extension back on your end, from BMP to ZIP.

It's 3.4 MB zipped, and unzips to 15 or 16 MB. It's the entire setup from the Celestia folder, so the model is in one subfolder, and the surface textures are in a separate folder called "textures" (oddly enough). The .ssc file is just a text file, a script to tell Celestia what to do with it, so is superfluous in any other software.

Edit: Well. THAT didn't work so well. It expects a bitmap image, so gives a big black screen, without any download options. I reckon I'll have to drop back and punt. I'll leave it as it is until I can figure out a better system.

[edit on 2010/2/23 by nenothtu]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
Edit: AHA! I just read your post, figured it out all on my own. You meant neno's boat, the "StarWolf". I think Luder's boat was the "Rolling Thunder".
[edit on 2010/2/23 by nenothtu]

If you go back a few posts we picked up Luder in the Rolling Thunder a bit battered and bruised and shoved it in hanger bay 1, the Star Wolf, as far as the participants are concerned, was hit by the Opi's when Neno did his kamikaze run at the Dreadnought, to wit we think he bought the farm, but you can't keep a good man down and so the Lazarus like return of Neno is anticipated. We were originally going to have him call for the AA and a tow rope but there seems to be other things afoot!

"Calling Captain Luder, please stop chasing the pretty nurses and get back to the bridge, I'm starving!"

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Edit: AHA! I just read your post, figured it out all on my own. You meant neno's boat, the "StarWolf". I think Luder's boat was the "Rolling Thunder".

Sorry about that.

You are correct about my error in the name of the ship.

I've sent a U2U to Masqua so he can correct it.

Sure, but I don't know which one you mean, precisely. Have you got a picture or a link to a picture so I can narrow it down? I've gathered a fairly large collection of 3d models since this project started, and if I can't find the link, I ought to at least be able to get the model itself to you somehow, if I know which one.

You're correct I was asking for the 3d model itself.

The name of the vessel was "Firefly Sport" or "Sport Model" or "QJFFsport" if you want to Google it. If you can't find the right one, or the right format, let me know and I'll get one of these conversions of it to you. 3ds seems to be the most universal. If you can import it into your software, resaving it to your own format ought to be a breeze. An obj file may be better for you, but let me know and I'll figure something out.

.3ds is perfect.

In fact it's one of the only non native 3d formats Google Sketchup lets me import.

I found it here
Here

On this Forum Thread

However it's in an .MSH file format and I'm not sure how to change that to .3ds file format.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Studious]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Just sent you a U2U about means to get the model to you in .3ds, and a suggestion for a conversion program to convert it yourself, if the program is still 'out there'.

Sometimes the program works right, sometimes you have to jump through hoops with it, and I can't really remember which models worked right and which didn't.

Experimentation is GOOD, eh?

I'm off to ransack the ragtag fleet page, and add the ships, and their distinctiveness to my ship collection collective...

Oh, before I forget, there IS a Starship Troopers 'dropship' model out there, in several variations, if you need that for your setup too.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Studious I loved your post - hysterical...

So, the Boys Are Back! Woohooo!

Can't wait to see what you'll are up to now...

Give my love to 'Twitchy N'

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Studious I loved your post - hysterical...

So, the Boys Are Back! Woohooo!

Can't wait to see what you'll are up to now...

Give my love to 'Twitchy N'

Nicely done! so, a little genetic splicing?

Uncle Carpet! love it!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by prof-rabbit

A little three some actually...

And then it gets weird...

'Daddy' Carpet... lol

Actually all the clues are already there. Must have buried them too deep...

Off to check the story!

peace

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

A little three some actually...

And then it gets weird...

'Daddy' Carpet... lol

Actually all the clues are already there. Must have buried them too deep...

Off to check the story!

peace

Ohh, a Ménage à trois! you will need to elucidate just a little more for the readers, remember we only read your words, not your thoughts, but I was thinking Carpet might have had a hand in the shag pile :>

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Yeah, that's the next post, lol.
Just kind of trying to get the picture right first.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Where'd everybody go?

Oh CindyMarssssss - Saw a pirate movie last night... I was cheering for the bad guy lol - looked like Cadbury!
Anyway, hope to hear from you soon. Need to get some info from you on the Pirate end of this...

That and if I stole a tab from you could I go back in time? One of your discs?

thanks

[edit on 1-3-2010 by silo13]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

No problem silo.
Hey I promise to re_write the Cadbury post this week.

Also just need to figure out where I went thru that portal, its so endless in possibilities that's the problem I am having. Plus just getting back on the pony.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars
Plus just getting back on the pony.

No one told me I could get a pony!

I'll take a Ford Mustang!

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
So are we all going to get together at some point and figure you where we're headed from here?

Ideas anyone?

I've no problem going back to finish the mystery of what's in the Center (who was talking in dreams that night) and the water 'problem' etc, but, that's all a sideline...

WHAT'S THE SKINNY FOLKS?

peace

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

WHAT'S THE SKINNY FOLKS?

I'm not sure if Neno wants me to enter the ship and find him unconscious or whether he wants to be awake when NI-7 boards his ship. So I'll hold off posting further until I know how he wants that to occur.

And then there's the important message NI-7 has for Luder.

Originally posted by nenothtu
reply to post by Studious

Just sent you a U2U about means to get the model to you in .3ds, and a suggestion for a conversion program to convert it yourself, if the program is still 'out there'.

Sometimes the program works right, sometimes you have to jump through hoops with it, and I can't really remember which models worked right and which didn't.

Thank you the Mesh Converter was a very good suggestion and I've been able to get the model into .3ds and imported it into Sketchup successfully.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by Studious]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Studious:

Go ahead and post, neno will either be unconscious or so groggy as to pass for unconscious. If I post anything at all in the next day or two, it will probably be nothing more than a "dream sequence" I've been kicking around in my head, and shouldn't affect the way your post plays out.

The dream post, if it occurs, will involve a "meeting" between neno and his dead wife, and tie into the episode where he passed out on the bridge and was "changed" by it without realizing how, and then go into some wonky science that a mercenary has no business delving into, much less a chance of understanding, as an explanation for paranormal occurrences and telepathic messages.

What is it with these Penelope crewmen and their ex's, anyhow?

Anybody heard anything from SeekerOfAUTUMN lately? I looked him up a couple weeks ago and saw his last logon was last year. Hope he hasn't gotten hisself lost in the quantum flux!

Had to go look up my own character's background to get his wife's name and where she died. Either this is too complex, or I'm too simple! anyhow, the relevant info was in the UEF Background Data thread, in this post: post by nenothtu

[edit on 2010/3/5 by nenothtu]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Neno's "dream sequence" post is up. It got pretty huge, and I had to split it into two separate posts.

Remember, especially toward the end, that neno has no way of knowing that Teresa is already dead, or that Swarg is dead, and Silo is "in the family way".

Fire away, Studious.

I don't mean that literally...

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Wow - what a read - a very pleasurable one!

Just a couple of my favorite lines...

Things going 'pfzzzt' all over the place.

rotfl

"Wish I could find one of those 'fields' right now, so I could run through it to get away from your crazy ass"

hehehehe

"I'm dead, or hallucinating, or dead AND hallucinating.

Love it...

Oh and by the way I think I understand 'string theory' a bit better now thanks to your post. And I mean that - THANKS to your post.

Oh! And this one!

There's always later for forever. Learn to manipulate the fields, use your mind, ride the 'tween, love..."

Utterly 'King-ish' (Steven Kingish)...

5 Thumbs up...

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thanks! I was afraid it was too long, too rambling, and too boring. I never quite got a grasp on string theory myself. This is a notion that has been growing in my head for a while now (much like a fungus - in the dark) and the idea isn't fully formed yet. It, like the Space Opera, seems to be taking on a life of it's own. It just rolls around in my head like a marble in a bowling alley (too much space in there, I'm afraid, even with the fungus clutter).

After I posted last night in this thread, I went home, and the idea wouldn't leave me alone any more, so I got up and started typing. About two hours after sunrise, I could finally go to sleep.

Then I got up later and started trying to polish it again.

Anyhow, if it goes anywhere, it may have some implication for the work yet to be done in the Opera on the Big Rip, and against the Dark Lord further down the line.

Not to mention an interesting "new" communications medium.

"This is your operator. Which ghost are you dialing, please?"

Strangely enough, I've actually had 3 dreams similar to this (but somewhat scarier) in the last 5 years, 2 of those in the last 2 years. That's probably where this wacky stuff comes from.

Maybe it would help if I laid off of the coffee?

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I don't think laying off coffee is going to help - I don't drink coffee and I've still got the nights awake thinking of the Opera and as you said that idea that just takes on a life of it's own.

I had NO idea and NO plans for Silo to get, well, knocked up. Now I have to just wait and see myself what happens with it all...

As for your post? Anything but boring and rambling. Thanks again.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Evil Cim returns thru the portal and beats Silo, killing the infestation.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7eb49b68a820.jpg[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

<< 200  201  202    204  205  206 >>

join