It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 198
<< 195  196  197    199  200  201 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder
Sorry guys, I was absent there for a bit. Got back to the states from Korea in December and have been spending time w/ both sets of parents and my wife and son.

I know I created a huge gap due to my absence, but I would love to continue contributing if possible and once again I apologize for my not being around.

Yo Capt'! just remember you are currently in sick bay, seemingly without injury but you were taken there unconscious. A little oxygen therapy might be enough to bring you 'round.
or some of Ms Craig's Colombian coffee!

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Ok folks.
I don't do well with *evil*...
Or horns...
Or fangs for that matter...

(By the way, the fangs are invisible)...

[edit on 27-1-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Ok folks.
I don't do well with *evil*...
Or horns...
Or fangs for that matter...

(By the way, the fangs are invisible)...

The red wings are very devilish! personally I like the beak as is. They remind me a little of the creatures from the first Beastmaster movie that folded their wings around people before eating them, they however had bat like wings.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by prof-rabbit]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I hated the horns...

Then I hated the wings...

Maybe I should stop now, lol...

???

(I still like the fluffy white wings... Nothing so evil as something that looks soft and fluffy and warm and will kill you)...

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I prefer your first version, but I will go along with whatever because I certainly can't create them.

Welcome back Luder! Great timing just in time to kill some Buzzards!

Good research Neno.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Let me get situated and caught up on the story, then I would like to come back in as Commander of the Penelope if you guys will allow it.

I report to Ft. Huachuca, AZ tonight and start work tomorrow. My family and I should have housing by the 11th or so, then I'll get a stable internet connection, so I won't make any huge posts right away. Rather not get involved in something and cause you all to have to wait on me.

Good to be back.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

That's an awesome pic for the enemy.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Welcome back

Thanks for the vote of confidence...

As for the pictures - I'm not going to post them on my threads yet.

I agree with CindyMars liking the first one. I don't know her reasons but mine are as I said before, there's something very disturbing about an adversary that looks menacing yet almost gentle.

And anyway, since I can't imagine all the Ophi look the same, as we don't, what the hell, make them whatever you want them to be - just helps me having a visual to go by...

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by prof-rabbit

Just read your last post - please don't forget to include Chumley and Bransom in your communiques and radio checks!
Deson is commanding a squad of drones but Chumley is out there on his ownage with Bramsom following hot on his tail. (I think she just can't stand for the Big Guy to be out of her sight).

Thankers

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Just read your last post - please don't forget to include Chumley and Bransom in your communiques and radio checks!
Deson is commanding a squad of drones but Chumley is out there on his ownage with Bramsom following hot on his tail. (I think she just can't stand for the Big Guy to be out of her sight).

Thankers

Ahh, my mistake, I thought they were with Deson, I will correct my post and include them by having Deson call in to let us know. :>

Just as an aside, did you ever mock up anything on the Deson fighters?

Hint page from B5 SA-26 Star Fury
www.kitsune.addr.com...

Or the JemHadar fighter

www.kitsune.addr.com...

[edit on 27-1-2010 by prof-rabbit]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Chumley is in his own *Deson Fighter* - A fighter I might add was designed by Deson and I believe one he lost when he lost all his computer stuff. I'll go look through his old posts and posts here and see if I can find it. I might accidentally have a copy too - accidental because I thought it was another type of bird but Deson U2U's me privy to tell me it was a fighter. I'll go look.

Beyond that Bransom wasn't going to let her big He Stud out of sight, and, surprisingly enough she's not just a whiner, but, an ace flier - so she's out there on Chumley's tail, in more ways than one. (Also her flying abilities may go a step farther giving credence as to why she's the President of her party. Not just all fluff and feathers)...

Deson is behind his control center manning his drones from his personal command post on the Yydryl.

Have fun!

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I think neno has in mind nuking the wings off of the dreadnought. The rationale is this: the dreadnought is what they'd use to damage the planet itself. Furthermore, it won't come into play until the cruisers neutralize the planetary defense net. The cruisers will be distracted first with that task.

Should he get behind it (which he is at the moment), he ought to be able to send 60 megatons or so (I can't recall where I saw the yields of the nukes mentioned, but I think the prof listed them at 60MT each) of lovin' goodness straight at the point where the "wings", and so the engines, attach to the hull. Regardless of other consequential damages, if the engines are detached, maneuverability goes out the window, and, unable to bring it's larger weapons to bear, the dreadnought becomes a big 'ol hood ornament, to be disassembled at will.

That leaves the cruisers for Penelope to graunch, since, once he blows the wings off the big bad fly, his cover is blown, and he's gotta scoot.

Of course, he's gonna try to lead them off like a mother bird from her nest, which, if done properly, exposes their flanks and rears to fire from Penelope, making the job a little easier, since they don't know SHE'S there yet either.

Sound like a plan? Thoughts? Objections?

This is what I managed by way of illustration:

Picture 1 - StarWolf firing the nuke at the Buzzards:

Picture 2 - StarWolf scooting past the Buzzards as the nuke explodes:

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Sweet make-ups there Neno! They look awesome.

I found some pictures of the Deson Fighter (by Deson of course) and have stuck them into a space-black-starry sky kind of thing. When my connection is better (later today) I'll post them here in case anyone wants to use them.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
I think neno has in mind nuking the wings off of the dreadnought. The rationale is this: the dreadnought is what they'd use to damage the planet itself. Furthermore, it won't come into play until the cruisers neutralize the planetary defense net. The cruisers will be distracted first with that task.

Should he get behind it (which he is at the moment), he ought to be able to send 60 megatons or so (I can't recall where I saw the yields of the nukes mentioned, but I think the prof listed them at 60MT each) of lovin' goodness straight at the point where the "wings", and so the engines, attach to the hull. Regardless of other consequential damages, if the engines are detached, maneuverability goes out the window, and, unable to bring it's larger weapons to bear, the dreadnought becomes a big 'ol hood ornament, to be disassembled at will.

Maybe a bit simplistic, remember these guys blew the crap out of Earth defence, vis from page 28.

Luder's post
As the Penelope cleared the moon and the wreckage of the Ticonderoga the scene coming into view was sobering. There were literally hundreds upon hundreds of lifeless hulks of vessels, thousands of fighters and bodies and over near the day/night terminator line of Earth, Luder could see flashes of light around LaGrange 1.

Battle Stations! Full Alert Code 1!

"Helm, move us into firing range of LaGrange 1 and let's see what we can do to help." Luder took his station and punched up a few commands on the console. Whatever was out there had taken out another Ventura Class carrier and her crew with what looked like no problem and that fact alone concerned him greatly.

That leaves the cruisers for Penelope to graunch, since, once he blows the wings off the big bad fly, his cover is blown, and he's gotta scoot.

Of course, he's gonna try to lead them off like a mother bird from her nest, which, if done properly, exposes their flanks and rears to fire from Penelope, making the job a little easier, since they don't know SHE'S there yet either.

Sound like a plan? Thoughts? Objections?

My concept was for Penelope to come round the moon while the Opi's are lining up to carpet bomb the planet, remember we have two "super guns" and shields that won't quit. The Opi's are not stupid and check their asses, so as we come over the moon we get a chance at a rear shot on one cruiser, the super slugs at 60% of light speed go almost straight down the length and hit their power source, bang goes the ship, the other cruiser and the big mother try to shoot the crap out of Penelope.

Penelope loses one of it's guns, the remaining gun is used to cripple both of the engines on the Opi ships, (don't want them to get away) down to the last of our slugs we weaken the shields on both ships, the planetary mil. finally get their # together and nuke the second cruiser, ably assisted by Bransom and Chumley, Deson and his drones save the planet by chasing down a load of nuke missiles fired by big mother.

You do your gung ho bit and fire the two (2) 60 kiloton nukes up the ass of big momma breaking off two of the three pylons, as you pass they fire a beam nearly up your ass so we think you bought the farm, then I have a nice finally for momma, with sobering thoughts of revenge we fry momma, you call in with a "have you got a tow rope handy", while we are all cheering an errant nuke missile is heading for Yydryl, Swarg does his heroic bit.

This is what I managed by way of illustration:

Picture 1 - StarWolf firing the nuke at the Buzzards:

Picture 2 - StarWolf scooting past the Buzzards as the nuke explodes:

Great pics, you guys and gals make me jealous, I still draw stick figures...

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Ok, one more post tomorrow or the next day and Swarg will be ready to go to his glorious heroic doom.

I hope I can get the cocoons and the rest wrapped up before then, but please don't hold up the war on my account.

We'll be ready when you are.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Here's the Deson Heavy fighters, Light fighters and well, Fighter fighters... Sorry I didn't get a name for all of them, we pretty much just talked about them as 'Deson Fighters"...

So feel free to use them as you wish. Deson gave his blessing on the lot of us to use at will.

If you want to manipulate them you'll have to right click on them and save to your computer as I have no other idea how to get them to you.

Let me know if there's something you'd like me to do to them...

Happy Hunting!

peace

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Cripes! I had this post hashed out, and was just getting ready to send it, when the power blinked out, so now I have to attempt to reconstruct it.

Prof-Rabbit, that scenario works for me. I have a couple of thoughts to add to it, for your consideration.

Originally posted by prof-rabbit

Maybe a bit simplistic, remember these guys blew the crap out of Earth defence, vis from page 28.

I may have misunderstood the post, but I was under the impression that there were considerably more than 3 Buzzads involved in that attack. You're right, if only 3 of them created that whole mess, we truly have our work cut out for us considering what we have left here to work with.

My concept was for Penelope to come round the moon while the Opi's are lining up to carpet bomb the planet, remember we have two "super guns" and shields that won't quit.

In that event, when the dreadnought is lining up to nuke the planet, the cruisers will have already taken out the planetary defense grid, and will have nothing better to do than run security for the big momma dreadnought as she disassembles the planet. They'll be paying much more attention to details, like unexpected interlopers.

Speaking of shields that won't quit, have I got the proper notion in mind that these new shields 'absorb' inbound energy weapon hits and grow stronger? in effect having the opposition 'feed' our shields when they're trying to damage us?

The Opi's are not stupid and check their asses,

Exactly so, which is why neno is shadowing them in a recon/scout ship, at maximum stealth. It also helps create unexpected surprises that the StarWolf is considerably smaller than Penelope, thus harder to detect on the best of days. Penelope is in the neighborhood of 2500 meters long, while StarWolf is around 40 to 50 meters long.

so as we come over the moon we get a chance at a rear shot on one cruiser, the super slugs at 60% of light speed go almost straight down the length and hit their power source, bang goes the ship, the other cruiser and the big mother try to shoot the crap out of Penelope.

Penelope loses one of it's guns, the remaining gun is used to cripple both of the engines on the Opi ships, (don't want them to get away) down to the last of our slugs we weaken the shields on both ships, the planetary mil. finally get their # together and nuke the second cruiser, ably assisted by Bransom and Chumley, Deson and his drones save the planet by chasing down a load of nuke missiles fired by big mother.

I like it, I like it! You have a flair for the dramatic!

You do your gung ho bit and fire the two (2) 60 kiloton nukes up the ass of big momma breaking off two of the three pylons, as you pass they fire a beam nearly up your ass so we think you bought the farm, then I have a nice finally for momma, with sobering thoughts of revenge we fry momma, you call in with a "have you got a tow rope handy", while we are all cheering an errant nuke missile is heading for Yydryl, Swarg does his heroic bit.

This particular portion is why I wanted a secure comms channel set up. My concept was to nuke the dreadnought, scoot past it, vent plasma intentionally from the port engine, throw the StarWolf into a 'controlled' spin, scream "I'm hit! I'm hit!" over the clear channel (after having used the secure channel to tell you to ignore transmissions in the clear) in a bid to draw off the Opis, giving them an 'easy kill' to chase. The 'mother bird' strategy. That would in turn have left Penelope with flank/rear shots on the cruisers when she popped out from behind the moon, and the dreadnought disabled.

I like your ideas better, with Penelope thinking neno is a goner from the outset, and the dreadnought only having 2 wings blown off instead of all 3. It still cripples the dreadnought, but doesn't take it out of the action altogether, leaving it a still a danger to be dealt with, but a manageable danger, due to it's reduced mobility. Additionally, the 'near miss' provides a plausible excuse for the plasma vent, and the apparent distress of the StarWolf. Originally, I had thought to have an Opi fighter then damage StarWolf for real, after Penelope was thinking that neno was ok, but I think I can still work that in, with Penelope thinking he's done for. That will provide a platform for the necessity of a tow rope in the aftermath of the battle as well.

I'm going to unabashedly steal the "have you got a tow rope handy" line, and use it verbatim.

I think both of these scenarios would mesh together rather well if I make a couple of changes to mine, such as leaving out the warning to ignore communications in the clear, and we move the part where StarWolf fires the nukes at the dreadnought up to the opening shot.

Great pics, you guys and gals make me jealous, I still draw stick figures...

Naah. I cheat. I use a program called "Celestia' to create the pictures by just dropping in suitable 3d mesh models into the appropriate spots, and snapping picture of the results. In the case of those two, I did a little post production in Paint Shop Pro, using the starburst effect to create the explosions in the second one, and the exhaust from the nuke in the first one. The toughest part is writing script files to position the models properly.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Cripes! I had this post hashed out, and was just getting ready to send it, when the power blinked out, so now I have to attempt to reconstruct it.

As a semi retired technician all I can say is "Save, Save,Save!" and backup everything, but no one ever listens.

Originally posted by prof-rabbit

I may have misunderstood the post, but I was under the impression that there were considerably more than 3 Buzzads involved in that attack. You're right, if only 3 of them created that whole mess, we truly have our work cut out for us considering what we have left here to work with.

We have no real idea how many ships attacked Earth, however we can assume Earth was heavily defended, hence these ships are no pushover.

In that event, when the dreadnought is lining up to nuke the planet, the cruisers will have already taken out the planetary defense grid, and will have nothing better to do than run security for the big momma dreadnought as she disassembles the planet. They'll be paying much more attention to details, like unexpected interlopers.

Pretty much.

Speaking of shields that won't quit, have I got the proper notion in mind that these new shields 'absorb' inbound energy weapon hits and grow stronger? in effect having the opposition 'feed' our shields when they're trying to damage us?

Yes, that's about right, but beware of some obvious things, you cannot fire conventional weapons through them for the same reason, (something Star trek overlooks) and your "tail" is unprotected

Exactly so, which is why neno is shadowing them in a recon/scout ship, at maximum stealth. It also helps create unexpected surprises that the StarWolf is considerably smaller than Penelope, thus harder to detect on the best of days. Penelope is in the neighborhood of 2500 meters long, while StarWolf is around 40 to 50 meters long.

You could also add diffracting frontal cross section, non reflecting surface covering, anti sensors and active stealth projectors (to make you look like an asteroid).

Originally posted by Prof-Rabbit
so as we come over the moon we get a chance at a rear shot on one cruiser, the super slugs at 60% of light speed go almost straight down the length and hit their power source, bang goes the ship, the other cruiser and the big mother try to shoot the crap out of Penelope.

I like it, I like it! You have a flair for the dramatic!

Thank you.

I had thought to have an Opi fighter then damage StarWolf for real, after Penelope was thinking that neno was ok, but I think I can still work that in, with Penelope thinking he's done for. That will provide a platform for the necessity of a tow rope in the aftermath of the battle as well.

I'm going to unabashedly steal the "have you got a tow rope handy" line, and use it verbatim.

Your welcome, I think it easier for you to cop a glancing blow from momma, (big splash, lots of pyrotechnics) than to involve Opi fighters,

I think both of these scenarios would mesh together rather well if I make a couple of changes to mine, such as leaving out the warning to ignore communications in the clear, and we move the part where StarWolf fires the nukes at the dreadnought up to the opening shot.

Sounds like a plan...

The toughest part is writing script files to position the models properly.

I dislike scripting at the best of times, I'm a hardware tech, (old school) so we leave such things to programmers, I was one of the first people in Aussie to overclock early processors, just to give you an idea, during the early 90's I paid $1100 for 4 matched 1 MEGABYTE ram chips.

Ok, so the order of battle.

Opi ships arrive at the planet, while Opi's are engaged in cutting down the planets space platforms Neno goes for momma's ass, cops a big shot from momma's guns, Penelope gets one cruiser, Penelope loses one of it's guns, the remaining gun is used to cripple both of the engines on the Opi ships, (don't want them to get away) down to the last of our slugs we weaken the shields on both ships, the planetary mil. finally get their # together and nuke the second cruiser, ably assisted by Bransom and Chumley, Deson and his drones save the planet by chasing down a load of nuke missiles fired by big mother.

Ok so far?

Not forgetting Swarg saving Yydryl.

[edit on 1-2-2010 by prof-rabbit]

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Note to keep in mind.

I don't think it's important for Swarg to save the Yydryl.

Maybe somehow he saves Neno?

Point let him save whoever's in trouble - just make sure he ends up dead... (Yes, I think I've mentioned that before) lol...

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Silo, great piece of writing! wait for the que as the errant Opi nuke heads for Yydryl near the end of the battle. No one will be close enough to save you so Swarg will need to jump in the "last Deson fighter" left because it has no active weapons (?) or another type of craft and make a kamikaze run at the missile, remember to detonate it at a safe distance from Yydryl, don't want her irradiated :>

new topics

top topics

<< 195  196  197    199  200  201 >>

join