It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 187
<< 184  185  186    188  189  190 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I'm aware of the *feeling* you're talking of.
To not feel it?
Honestly I think I'd be more disturbed than if I did.
When that *feeling this way comes* at least I know what I'm up against - scum that needs to be rubbed out - as they say.
Without it?
I'd be at a real loss to be minus that gut knot that tells me not to feel bad if I pulled the trigger on that one.

Feeling nothing at all would be most like hell I can think of - and much harder to face that's for sure.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Hey Neno!

I've just posted my next installment and I had to come thank you.

I really want to thank you for supplying the answer to a struggle I’ve been having.

It just made no sense to me that Ship wouldn’t be able to track the Shifter but I couldn't explain why - even to myself.

In reading your own struggle, to explain how you didn’t feel anything - it echoed the problem Ship’s been having.

Now, not only does Ship's description of the Shifter tie into what you’re saying about your own experience with it, (so there’s some continuity there), but, it also answers the question why Ship can’t do more to help us *get* the Shifter.

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Ya know, I've no idea how you catch the Shifter... One reason I'm trying to open up him flitting from person to person so we (and the readers) can get a feel of what a slippery guy this Shifter an be.

Also about blowing things up... I dunno where people get the idea I want a fight, but I don't - unless it's while taking a bead on the Shifter.

Look forward to seeing ya all soon.

In regard to capturing the SS may I suggest you reread the very first experience you had with Carpet...

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by prof-rabbit

Ohhhhhhh that's a post all full of intrigue!

First experience I had with Carpet (that I remember) was falling down dead in a faint and Carpet covered me up out of, well, Carpet wanted to *keep me* (originally)...

The good thing about being a Carpet was you pretty much went unnoticed until someone dropped something on you.
The best thing about being a Carpet was claiming whatever was dropped.
In this case its was a S.I.L.O.
Ok, so no one had actually dropped the S.I.L.O on Carpet, thought millions of tiny minds in synchronicity, and yes, it was true the Silo had fainted dead away and landed on Carpet, but Carpet didn’t care.
Silo now belonged to Carpet.

I'm dying to know what you're referring to!

By the by - I hope I don't have to catch the Shifty Shifter - that's up to the Penelope crew so us girls have to throw ourselves at your feet in undying gratitude.

Ok, maybe not, but you all catching the Shifter part is good.

By the way.
I'm watching *The Fifth Element* for the first time.
Call it *Space Opera* homework (as I've never read or seen much sci-fi at all)...

What a trip this film is huh!

Gives me a whole new outlook on *Space* and *Beings*...

[edit on 17-10-2009 by silo13]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Rabbit may be making a link between the way Silo "morphs" and the shapeshifter "shifts". The limitations on one may have some bearing on the limitations of the other, physics being the same wherever one looks.

If that's the case. it's an intriguing concept. If it's NOT the case, I apologize, and will promptly go back to sleep.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
reply to post by silo13

Rabbit may be making a link between the way Silo "morphs" and the shapeshifter "shifts". The limitations on one may have some bearing on the limitations of the other, physics being the same wherever one looks.

If that's the case. it's an intriguing concept. If it's NOT the case, I apologize, and will promptly go back to sleep.

Wow Rabbit that's some imaginative thinking. I like it. You guys are really working this out. I am intriged! Carry on!

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I wonder if we could somehow FORCE the Shifter to choose a Milli-Being?
Or what about water?

I mean, until I learn to control myself, water would kill me.
All that life held in water?
A good dunking would force a morph and I'd go mad or would be completely lost forever...

So, how could we force the Shifter to do the same?
Not necessarily with water, but, to *Shift* into something that would kill him.

Like Swarg who's infested with that thing that's so horrid it can't even be described. He's still cooling his heals in the brig.

Or what about inject him with nanites?

Could we use him?

Ideas anyone?

Have a good Sunday all

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Need Studious's input on what plans he has for the Shapeshifter before we work out a strategy for catching it.

I'd really rather catch it than kill it, and get it to give the readers some answers to nagging, hanging questions, maybe firm up some suspicions and conclusions.

You know, good old informational interrogation. I promise I won't waterboard it, honest!

[edit on 2009/10/18 by nenothtu]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Ohhhhhhh that's a post all full of intrigue!

First experience I had with Carpet (that I remember) was falling down dead in a faint and Carpet covered me up out of, well, Carpet wanted to *keep me* (originally)...

The good thing about being a Carpet was you pretty much went unnoticed until someone dropped something on you.
The best thing about being a Carpet was claiming whatever was dropped.
In this case its was a S.I.L.O.
Ok, so no one had actually dropped the S.I.L.O on Carpet, thought millions of tiny minds in synchronicity, and yes, it was true the Silo had fainted dead away and landed on Carpet, but Carpet didn’t care.
Silo now belonged to Carpet.

I'm dying to know what you're referring to!

By the by - I hope I don't have to catch the Shifty Shifter - that's up to the Penelope crew so us girls have to throw ourselves at your feet in undying gratitude.

Ok, maybe not, but you all catching the Shifter part is good.

By the way.
I'm watching *The Fifth Element* for the first time.
Call it *Space Opera* homework (as I've never read or seen much sci-fi at all)...

What a trip this film is huh!

Gives me a whole new outlook on *Space* and *Beings*...

[edit on 17-10-2009 by silo13]

Now you have the right idea!, Carpet " dithered" about keeping you, so Carpet has a sense of right and wrong, you also mentioned that Carpet liked cleaning up the more gruesome "spills", so, Carpet is now aware that the SS is not a "friend" of ship.

So as the SS crosses Carpet we have Carpet roll the SS up, whatever the SS tries to morph into Carpet simply counters with more "Carpet!" Then Carpet contacts Silo and asks if Carpet is allowed to recycle the SS!

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

*blink*
*blink blink*

I'm seeing Carpet in a whole knew light.

I never thought of Carpet being able to *roll* before
Always envisioned him as a material, changeable (within reason for rug like fibers), fibrous, integrated and interwoven into Ship's floors.

May have to re think that too.

Scary to think of him being able to be rolled though...

Cause anything that can be rolled can be *rolled up*...

Hmmm.....

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
Need Studious's input on what plans he has for the Shapeshifter before we work out a strategy for catching it.

I agree with Neno about capturing the SS rather than killing him.

I still need the shapeshifter for one more post I'm working on but after that he's all yours.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

You got it. It will probably take us a little while to work out the details of a capture, anyhow.

I wonder what sort of substance a shapeshifter is made of, and how electricity would effect it? What about water? I presume it uses a different mechanism to shapeshift than the one Silo uses to morph, so while the same rules of matter would apply, they may have different methods of application.

Carpet wouldn't necessarily have to roll up. Didn't it grab Silo at one time and so enshroud her with it's tendrils that it nearly amounted to a merge? Whatever shape it shifts into, Carpet can just grab that new shape with it's tendrils, right?

If we get Carpet to do the actual capture, we then just have to work out a method of KEEPING it captured, some sort of stasis to block a shapeshifting, but not so much that it can't talk for an interrogation. It wouldn't hurt for the method to scare it enough that it will want to talk - something that it might see as life threatening, but doesn't actually kill it.

[edit on 2009/10/18 by nenothtu]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
So we’re going to meet in the Swamp, and then what?

Any suggestions on how we’re going to *round table* it?

I’m in hopes after the initial introduction (CindyMars welcoming you all to the Swamp???) that from there we’re all going to write short bio-like posts to *introduce* ourselves.

--> 'Hi, I'm *insert name here* and I'm *insert rank here*' - kind of thing???

How does that sound?

Any other ideas???

thanks

[edit on 19-10-2009 by silo13]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I all I will make every effort to get a post up today but it depends on work
and if my boss is up my bum or not.

Hey Neno is your characher hirsute? LOL

Hirsute (HIR-soot; hir-SOOT) adj. - hairy or bristly
Example: Tony's long beard and bushy eyebrows gave him quite a HIRSUTE appearance.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

Example: Tony's long beard and bushy eyebrows gave him quite a HIRSUTE appearance.

Neno isn't particularly hirsute. I'd say he habitually carries about 3 days worth of whisker bristles, but of course he scraped them off for the big meeting.

The rest of him isn't smooth OR furry, somewhere between, I reckon. Definitely no bushy eyebrows, and no unibrow.

He's most likely wearing some sort of camouflaged jumpsuit, camo composed of black, brown, 2 shades of green. It will have several pockets for stowing things away, and not have much in the way of insignia or shiny things on it.

An equipment belt with a sidearm holstered, a comm unit, and a couple other gadgets pretty much completes it.

Think of him as a shade over 6 feet tall, and somewhat on the skinny side, maybe around 175 lbs.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

Holy crap.
I never knew I was hirsute.

Oppenheimers, opposumchihiahuahs, chahulahulies... nope. I still like blackbirds.

How goes the war guys?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Holy crap.
I never knew I was hirsute.

Oppenheimers, opposumchihiahuahs, chahulahulies... nope. I still like blackbirds.

How goes the war guys?

We're in an interlude... Trying to give peace a chance...

Cue music... AAllll weee are saaaayyiiing....

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Ok, well, I dragged Chumley in and there we are ready to take a seat at the round table.

I've a small bio worked up and hope you all find it useful.

Let's get the intro's going!

I'm dying to see how you U-Mans are going to present yourselves to 'aliens' in a real sit down diplomatic setting.

CindyMars.

When we're all set and ready to begin I'm sure everyone will notice an empty seat at the table. Harvey of course set a place for Deson, who will not be joining us as he's gone missing.

If you ask Silo about Deson she'll lean over and tell you he's still missing.

From there you'll have to decide whether to share this information with the U-Mans, or, keep that info quiet for the moment. I'll leave that decision up to you as you're the figure head for the Yydryl at this meeting.

Also. How do you want Ship herself to welcome the U-mans? Are you going to work it into your opening statement?

Have fun all!

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Good thing you didn't touch the StarWolf. I had meant to work it into the post where we left it, and forgot to, but the first line of defense is an electrified hull. Sheila will have to be told to allow access first, so she can verify voiceprints, before removing the electric field so that other biometric identifiers can be used to gain access. There should be a bluish haze of ionized air around it, not a big glow, maybe an inch or so deep around the entire hull. Sort of like a Van de Graff generator.

I bet that glow would be really pretty in the dark!

Also, I'm wondering how the shapeshifter would stand up to electricity? Might it knock him out temporarily?

Hmmmm....

[edit on 2009/10/20 by nenothtu]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Girl your crazy! I have no idea what to tell the U mans, why you think I was waiting for you? LOL

new topics

top topics

<< 184  185  186    188  189  190 >>

join