It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 176
<< 173  174  175    177  178  179 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

It's interesting but I would consult with Silo as she has her ideas on what and who SHIP is. I know the character you spoke of from that short lived SciFi show with Hecules as the Captain. LOL

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Yay. A minor problem for our engineer to work on. I have set it up as a collaborative problem.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
Yay. A minor problem for our engineer to work on. I have set it up as a collaborative problem.

Looks good, Mr. Toodles I will need you to play devils advocate between two pieces something along the lines of "oh noes, think of the risk!" but leave it to your excellent imagination...

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

Excellent post Toodles! Remember, you can shout out for Asher if you need him. If it starts causing problems on the Penelope end, he won't be doing that anymore...

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
People, please...
There are SO MANY story lines going on right now IN MY OPINION it’s insane to start another one.
Plus, I started cleaning up the Delia thing and I’ve been bringing her along slowly for a reason.

Please can we just stick together and clean up the many story lines we’ve got, NONE OF THEM CONCLUDED, plus the two new ones coming along with Asher and Studious BEFORE we go about screwing anything else up?

Sorry, but if you can’t tell I’m getting so sick of loose ends. I’ve tried and tried to patch them up but we need to get together on these not create new ones. (IMO)

Beyond that, can we please leave Delia alone for the time being.
Once I can finally get back to Ship’s Center, where I should be, I’ll release the reason fro Delia and why I’ve been bringing her along slowly ---> then I could care less what people do with her.

Ship is still Ship, she’d not mine, I’ve no exclusive on Ship, and I never will.
We all need to bring her around to realizing she can’t just let anyone aboard that wants to hop on.
She’s still in her infancy - we need to help her *grow up* as we go along - but not (please) for the moment with Delia.

I just don’t see Ship having more internal problems, when one, we can’t even keep a Captain, two, Ship is now Captain for us all to use as a NPC and three WE DON’T EVEN HAVE A REASON FOR BEING. lol

It’s as basic as this.

WHAT IS THE YYDRYL DOING?

She was decked out to go with Captain Cadbury - where? To do what? And for what reason?

We don't even have that nailed down yet.

So if I sound frustrated when I keep seeing new story lines popping up everywhere I think you can understand why - maybe?

[edit on 29-8-2009 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Silo, I think I know where you're coming from but consider:

It's not as if Yydryl can suddenly say "I've had enough" and make itself impervious to intrusion. If Penelope can't do that, neither can Yydryl. This whole issue of ship being a 'pushover' just doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps Yydryl had a reason for allowing people to board it? Maybe as a way of training its crew? It's not like it has much to fear from the likes of Studious' gang for example.

Further, if you want ship to have some sort of direction, write it in. Ship is a generally passive being, if you want a direction to go in, perhaps you should chat with it?

When you make an NPC out of your spacecraft, expect things to go in ways you didn't originally plan. Not everyone shares the same idea of storyline.

Anyway, just thought I would speak my mind on the subject. Again, the opera shouldn't be stressing anyone out. If it is, you're taking it too seriously. It should be about having a good time.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Don't worry, I present things here in the Story thread first for a reason.

I presented it merely as a way to fill an obvious plot hole you brought to our attention.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by Studious]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Plot holes are where you bury the dead...

Meanwhile why not have ship cruise past a sun to refuel and dump any "unwanteds"?

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by prof-rabbit

Originally posted by prof-rabbit
Plot holes are where you bury the dead...

Is this a play on words for Plot Hole as grave plot?

Creepy mystery show narrator voice says...

"The writer buried the dead in his plot hole in order to fill it." (Lightning flashes in the background.)

But if I understand you correctly the suggestion of killing off the "unwanteds" doesn't particularly get rid of Seeker as he's "in the 5th dimension."

However it looks like the old man's going to find himself floating home.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerOfAUTMN

Silo, I think I know where you're coming from but consider:
It's not as if Yydryl can suddenly say "I've had enough" and make itself impervious to intrusion.

She did after ToTheTenth infused her with some of his personal nano-whatever to make her impervious to being invaded.
I didn't write it, and, I don't even understand it, but, it’s already in the storyline.

If Penelope can't do that, neither can Yydryl. This whole issue of ship being a 'pushover' just doesn't make sense to me.

But the Penelope isn’t a living Ship - You can't compare the two.
(I’m not being intentionaly confrontational, I’m trying to work this out, I promise).

Plus, you have to remember Ship is our Captain and we’re taking turns, as it comes up in the story, being our own Captains as it were. Only choice we have at the moment and I hope it works well.

Perhaps Yydryl had a reason for allowing people to board it? Maybe as a way of training its crew? It's not like it has much to fear from the likes of Studious' gang for example.

I agree with you.
But, none of this is in the story line, it just *happened* again.
At the same time we still haven’t cleaned up how the crew got on Ship - it’s not known to readers or the crew for that matter, about the cocoons.

Further, if you want ship to have some sort of direction, write it in.

Do you know how long I’ve been trying to clean up all the loose ends?
I can’t do it on my own.

Ship is a generally passive being, if you want a direction to go in, perhaps you should chat with it?

Um, Ship stopped being a *passive being* when she commanded Deson to shoot Studious - to death, if he didn’t give up his tapes.
Like I said, I’ve been trying to clean this up slowly but surely and give Ship some backbone - for once.

When you make an NPC out of your spacecraft, expect things to go in ways you didn't originally plan. Not everyone shares the same idea of storyline.

I didn’t make her into a NPS, Whisper did by going on about how she was sentient. (Long time ago).

And I agree, things don’t always go my way, and guess what? I could care less if they do - and they haven't many times - and I write around it...
I just am doing all I can to try to get people to clean up old story lines instead of keep creating new ones.

And Delia?
Delia is something brought onto Ship by someone else.
A storyline I have been trying to clean up - first by mentioning in a post long ago Ship could give a *physical presence* in a *invisible way*.
Then having Ship *hug*.
Now, by bringing Delia into the story, but not revealing who *She* is.
I’ve got a use for her - I’ve been grooming her for it for weeks.
But - if it doesn’t happen, so be it, not a problem, I’ll just write around it.

IMO I just don’t see the need, at the moment, to make Delia and Ship.
They’re both too *young* and one of them is our Captain.
It will just confuse things to no end and it's just getting ridiculous.
I mean, put it this way - if I was a reader - I’d a put this book down long ago.

Anyway, do what you will, I’m not the ring leader here, only trying to take responsibility for some of the dirty work - or that’s how I feel.

Write away! Plot away! *Go with it* in any direction you want. Nooo problem at all.
Me? I choose accountability over cotton candy fluff that the majority of the *plots* on the Yydryl consist of so far.
I dare you to tell me one - just one story line - that's come to any fruition other than Ship's Center.
That actually has a beginning, a middle and an is working on the end.

Anyway, just thought I would speak my mind on the subject. Again, the opera shouldn't be stressing anyone out. If it is, you're taking it too seriously. It should be about having a good time.

I’m not stressing.
But I can’t *have fun* when I’m embarrassed at the quality (and quality control) taking place on the Yydryl at the moment.

Sorry, have no time to edit this - so don’t take any of it personal.
I do not mean it in any way to reflect anything other than delight that you Studious and Asher are aboard the Yydryl.
I just think it's time to get these loose ends tied up and stop creating more havoc and confusion.

So - what do you two want to work out?
Where do we go from here?

Edit to add.
Thank you very much to CindyMars for starting the *tie up* on the loose ends of Captain Cadbury.
I really hope you keep going on that mission to *fix* that plot, and, if there's anything I can do to help, I'll assist you in any way I can.

(Plus anything Pirate is just so way hot, lol.)

[edit on 30-8-2009 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You bring up an excellent point, and one that really NEEDS to be nailed down in the interest of progress. Any good story has conflict (which we have PLENTY of
), but it also need direction, a general thrust of events to work towards, otherwise known as a plot line. That creates the framework within which conflict is brought to climax and resolved, en route to the goal set by the plot.

Now, in general terms, the plot we pretty much settled on was conflict with the destruction of the fabric of the universe via the Big Rip. During the course of that, we apparently are going to come into conflict with the products of that threatened destruction, I.E. The Dark Lord (mostly dealt with by Yydryl so far) and the Ophiuchi Consortium expansionism caused by the disturbances created by the Big Rip (mostly dealt with by Penelope so far).

IMO, these two conflicts, or sub plots, are just two facets of the same jewel, and eventually we'll have to connect those dots, which will naturally bring Yydryl and Penelope into and alliance of sorts, most likely an uneasy one based on what's gone on so far. We've been working on separate parts of the same problem, as often happens in RL.

Sub-sub plots, and sub-sub-sub plots are to be expected in an undertaking of this nature, and ought to be dealt with and the conflicts they create resolved en-route to the prize. You are absolutely correct, we have allowed them to create a lot of loose ends, which we need to take stock of and resolve now, before opening too many more worm cans, and with a bit of creativity, which I see in abundance here, I think it can be done in such a way as to advance us along the main story line.

On another line of thought, I found this ship, and converted it into something I could use:

It's a Firefly class Sport model, a smaller, high performance version of the "Serenity" Firefly class cargo model seen here in the same setting for comparison:

I believe the high performance sport model would be suitable for conversion to military use for things like reconnaisance.

These pictures are not up to snuff for actual use, they're just samples. I did them on this computer, and my computers with the butt kicking graphics capabilities are still out of my possession *. I hope to rectify that in the very near future. Also, the bb code I used for my "Security /Tactical" tag at the head of each post is on the other computers, and my technologically challenged and inept self has yet to track it down for use here.

On a personal note, it's my understanding that the charges pending against me have been dropped. The investigator never did come to interview me, but they did appear to try to trick me into an admission of wrongdoing that I never did, which of course came up empty. Hard to prosecute a non-existent crime. My sweetheart has told me she's dropping the matter (out of the goodness of her heart, but I suspect other reasonings
), and that I'll soon be able to pick up all of my stuff, other than what was sold or pawned. I expect that will be another pill to swallow getting those items fixed. One of those is an AK that I put quite a lot of work into, transforming it from what it WAS into what I wanted it to BE (heavily "customized", if you will) and another is my laptop computer.

Anyhow, I expect I'll be back in fightin' trim before long, and I thank all of you for the moral support I gained here. You we're more comfort through that than you'll ever know.

* Note: this machine is an old Pentium III at 933 Mhz, with an ATI rage 128 Pro graphics card, and 512 MB RAM under the hood. By contrast, my desktop machine has a P4 at 2.4 Ghz, and an Nvidia graphics card with 256MB of dedicated video memory on the card, and a gigabyte and a half under the hood in the machine. I built it myself, specifically with graphics in mind. Needs more RAM, though. You can never have TOO much RAM. The laptop has some super-duper AMD processor, and 3 gigs under the hood, all of which serves to wring out the most performance Celestia is capable of.

[edit on 2009/8/29 by nenothtu]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Forgot to mention, regarding the Recon Firefly (I prefer to think of it as the "lightning Bug"), and directed to Captain Luder:

Dad, can I have a car?

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silo13
Like I said, I’ve been trying to clean this up slowly but surely and give Ship some backbone - for once.

I have a way for Ship to have had a strong backbone all along. (I've sent you a U2U about it.)

If you like the idea I'll present it to everyone. If not just say the word.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Hey you, don't wait on my word!

Get it on!
Let's see what you got...

*Excited*

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Replaced by new idea (See the really long post of mine several posts after this one.)

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Clarification achieved.

(I'm working on a solution.)

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

U2U translation = Talk to Cim, see how she feels and have fun.

I can't wrap my head around Delia and Ship fighting, it's absurd to me that Ship, who is Delia, would fight with herself, but hey, as you said, not everything goes the way we all want it and if you’ve the talent to write it, make it believable, carry it off and do so in a way the readers will welcome the tying up of story line, then that’s all good.

*I'm off to dump the whole story line I had for Delia I've been working towards now for weeks*

Oh well... No sacrifice is too great to get story lines worked out.

Have fun - I’m headed back to Ship’s Center so please write yourself out of my cabin please - as soon as possible so I can get back to what I’ve wanted to be doing for ages.

Edit: Ok, you're all set.

Enjoy.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
*I'm off to dump the whole story line I had for Delia I've been working towards now for weeks*

Don't do that!

I have a feeling a solution which will tie up storylines and keep your Delia ideas intact can be found. And I'm going to try to find it.

I'm not going to let an idea I only came up with today destroy so much of your planning.

A better solution can be found.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
AHA! By George, I think I've got it.

(It being a better solution)

Remember when Questioningall left the ship? Well I was looking over that section looking for a solution and I came across this line...

Originally posted by questioningall
The rulers had threatened the lives of everyone on the ship of Yydryl if she ever went astray again, or even if Captain loam ever pulled the wires out again.

Very shortly after pulling out the wires connecting Questioningall to the mind control machine, Loam was never seen again.

A later line from the same post...

Originally posted by questioningall
She had to hurry and leave, because once the rulers found out Theresa was herself, they would take vengence upon QA and the crew of Yydryl, as they threatened her with earlier.

Around this time the strange disappearances of the Yydryl crew also began. Coincidence or not?

That got me thinking. What if Loam was punished severely by the "rulers" for pulling out the wires? Would Delia/Ship upon learning of this tragic event, vow to prevent it from ever happening again?

(This doesn't necessarily kill Loam it just means he's not in the cocoons. Which actually fits my inaccurate post in which Studious finds only three other cocoons.)

Originally posted by Studious
But continuing to look further to the right he saw three more cocoons.

(Emphasis Added)
My Innaccurate Post

(There should be four. One for Loam, Scurvy, ToTheTenthPower and TheMythLives.)

The first mysterious disappearance was Loam's, and he was the first to defy the "rulers" QA spoke of. Perhaps eventually being the only victim of them.

The next to disappear was Scurvy the new Captain. (Then Whisper's disappearance but that was because of the Dark Lord.)

Then the new Captain ToTheTenth disappeared followed shortly by TheMythLives.

(Though several crew members had left before, they had not left mysteriously. Visible_Villian commit suicide, Cadbury was gone but that was because of pirates and SkyFloating left in an escape pod accident.)

What did all of these people have in common when they disappeared?

All those who disappeared were Captains. Except TheMythLives.

All of those who were disappeared were alone, except ToTheTenthPower and TheMythLives.

Perhaps Ship/Delia wanted to protect the Yydyrl Captain's and TheMythLives just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The new Yydyrl Captain had to be hidden, and TheMythLives couldn't be allowed to see ToTheTenthPower hauled away. So Delia/Ship took both of them.

So Ship/Delia was hiding the other Yydryl Captains to protect them from the fate Captain Loam suffered. But she had to do it without the shapeshifter, or the "rulers" he works for, from finding out.

(The "rulers" may have created the duplicates of NI-7 to infiltrate the UEF but Ship/Delia was able to rescue the real team and keep them hidden.)

I believe this plan fits far better than the old plan I presented. (which is now removed) Because it ties into older storylines, Solves "The Myth of the Missing Captains" and hopefully keeps Silo's plans for Delia intact.

Plus it consolidates the threat into a singular person, the one who just shot Studious.....The Shapeshifter.

I'd like to hear what anyone has to say about this new plan.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Studious]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
Forgot to mention, regarding the Recon Firefly (I prefer to think of it as the "lightning Bug"), and directed to Captain Luder:

Dad, can I have a car?

To paraphrase what the age old answer is likely to be, "I can only afford a fixer-upper son"

Meanwhile I like the look of your "lightning bug" :>

new topics

top topics

<< 173  174  175    177  178  179 >>

join