It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 175
<< 172  173  174    176  177  178 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
I will be making a post shortly. My apologies for delays. Have gotten pretty involved in the Crypto Chronicles. Wanted to make sure my first few posts were awesome. Back to the opera now. I see a cataclysmic quantum failure in the making. Something to put our new engineer to work

Aye! may I remind you that the Chief Engineer is the one who ensures your toilet flushes and your shower runs, upsetting the Chief may have those two articles in reverse!

Don't worry, I kick start wormholes before breakfast and eat quantum sandwiches for lunch! But give me a few minutes to get out of med bay and research the ships' coffee.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Sorry crummy post folks but I'm trying to pump these out in minutes as this old machine is heating up in under ten.
I'll come back and edit it in a bit after the thing cools down - but you've got the main idea so you can move forward and not get hung up waiting for me.

Studious, you've got pics back a few pages of my quarters and the PHARS machine. I'm going to shove you into it and hope for the best.

Good luck!

Asher, again, don't take it personal man, it's just what my character would do.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I am going to be really drunk in the bar talking weird stuff and phasing in and out. Might need to slap me or dump me in water.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Ha! No worries, it's a rare thing in life that I take personally.

You're playing your character well. Asher is probably wondering what the hades is going on. He could just as easily follow both Silo and Chumley to get to the bottom of it.

So at this point, Asher knows Studious is at least alive, and that Silo is taking care of him. He also knows that the Yydryl has cool 'healing waterfalls' that can keep just about anything alive. Antar helped Asher out once before if you recall.

So he's probably just going to hang back and wait to see what happens. Studious isn't in much of a mood to talk at the moment and everyone else has their undergarments in a bunch so he'll just watch and chat with Yydryl most likely.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerOfAUTMN

He could just as easily follow both Silo and Chumley to get to the bottom of it.
So at this point, Asher knows Studious is at least alive, and that Silo is taking care of him.

Yeah, you could have followed us and I was wondering if you were going to or not - will be fun to hear what you come up with.

So, leaving the next move up to Studious, my plan was to stick him in my PHARS (unlike the waterfall thingy Antar uses my PHARS was designed for more human like re-animation) and get him all fixed up in the quiet confines of my impenetrable quarters.

But.

Will Studious like that idea? Or not...

So, I’ll sit back and see!

So, there’s poor Silo with Studious across her back trying to reach her quarters...and Studious is getting heavy.

Do your worst kids! Er, I mean best!

OH! If someone is going to write me into their script, go right ahead, but, I’d just love it if myself or someone sends Carpet to go get CindyMars in the bar.
I want to hear CindyMars, drunk-on-her-bum talking to a rug...

hehehe

That is if that’s your plan there Cim!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I am at a loss. Not sure where to start in terms of quantum failure. Maybe a ripoff of star trek is in order? lol. Maybe some bugs will eat the computer cores processing hardware. Nah.

Could say that the link between seeker and the 5th dimension has begun a slow overload of the computing systems. Not fast enough to cause disaster, but enough to keep everyone busy trying to compensate for it. Making wormhole travel impossible for the moment. Would have to move away at sublight speeds

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Mr. Toodles]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

He could just as easily follow both Silo and Chumley to get to the bottom of it.

So at this point, Asher knows Studious is at least alive, and that Silo is taking care of him.

Yeah, you could have followed us and I was wondering if you were going to or not - will be fun to hear what you come up with.

As for me I'm leaving the next move up to Studious.

My plan was to stick him in my PHARS (unlike the waterfall thingy Antar uses my PHARS was designed for more human like re-animation) and get him all fixed up in the quiet confines of my impenetrable quarters.

But. Will Studious like that idea? Or not... I’ll sit back and see!

So, there’s poor Silo with Studious across her back trying to reach her quarters...and Studious is getting heavy.

Do your worst kids! Er, I mean best!

OH! If someone is going to write me into their script, go right ahead, but, I’d just love it if myself or someone sends Carpet to go get CindyMars in the bar.
I want to hear CindyMars, drunk-on-her-bum talking to a rug...

hehehe

That is if that’s your plan there Cim!

[edit on 27-8-2009 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

What do you mean by quantum failure? If you clarify what you're going for, maybe I can help out.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hey ladies and gentlemen of the Yydryl and Penelope! I just wanted to thank you guys/gals, because you provided me with the strength and the inspiration to start the Crypto-Chronicles. I just wanted to thank you all, in all honesty and respect
I only hope that we can achieve the success that all of you have reached. The OPERA is a classic and I still enjoy reading it everyday. Keep the EXCELLENT WORK UP!

In all respect,
~TheMythLives
Case Review Investigator
Crypto-Chronicles Creator

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerOfAUTMN

I mean like a processor overload or something. Since the systems were not engineered to receive data from the 5th dimension, it seems logical that data coming from it (IE seeker) then it could cause some redundancy error that would be un noticed at first. Call it a logical error

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
I am at a loss. Not sure where to start in terms of quantum failure. Maybe a ripoff of star trek is in order? lol. Maybe some bugs will eat the computer cores processing hardware. Nah.

Could say that the link between seeker and the 5th dimension has begun a slow overload of the computing systems. Not fast enough to cause disaster, but enough to keep everyone busy trying to compensate for it. Making wormhole travel impossible for the moment. Would have to move away at sublight speeds

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Mr. Toodles]

Back toward the beginning, Penelope had a problem with a nanobot infestation. Perhaps some of them could have gone to ground, bidden their time, and are now beginning to attack the processor core, with untoward results...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Will Studious like that idea? Or not... I’ll sit back and see!

I'm sure Studious will like the idea of being rescued but when he figures out Seeker is back aboard he's probably going to freak out again.

Unrelated:

reply to post by TheMythLives

Very interesting I'll be keeping my eye on those threads, it seems like a good read.

Plus it's good to see our former engineers (JohnQ and Slayer69) are involved as well. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Studious]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Silo's device is much like the sarcophagus on Stargate.
She doesn't even watch SciFi I don't think. LOL
So you are going to live.
Be careful Cim might hurt you if Seeker doesn't.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

Silo's device is much like the sarcophagus on Stargate.
She doesn't even watch SciFi I don't think. LOL
So you are going to live.

You're right, it is a like a sarcophagus!

I just hope it doesn't have the megalomania side effects the sarcophagus has.

It can heal all illness and damage done to the body. Using it very occasionally produces no ill effects. However, when using regularly, especially when unneeded, the side effects can be meglomania and feelings of superiority. This was one of the reasons that makes the Goa'uld and Tok'ra different, as the Goa'uld are evil and meglomatic
Stargate Wiki

And yes Studious is going to live.

Originally posted by cindymars
Be careful Cim might hurt you if Seeker doesn't.

I can see it now.

A Fight announcer says...

"In this coroner we have a drunk Time Traveler, two time champion of the universe!"

"And this coroner we have an old man with a cane!"

Ding Ding!

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Studious]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Yeah *blushing* my only contact with Sci-Fi is old reruns of Star Trek I poured over after meeting William Shatner.
He’s an avid horseman (surprisingly good rider for his body type).
When I met him he was the owner of WC Sultan’s Great Day, a world champion Saddlebred Stallion.
I owned (one of) the stallions Sisters, a daughter and bred some of my mares to the his Stud.

So, the most involvement I’ve ever had with Sci-Fi is here on the Opera and a movie or two (like Alien and The Thing) (Only two I can remember).

I’m probably missing out on a LOT not being an avid reader and participant in Sci-Fi - but, it’s my loss. Maybe more in the future when I can get my hands on some books. (I can’t get any books in English where I am much less Sci-Fi)...

So, Yeah, Studious, my PHARS (personal healing and relaxation system) is a bit sarcophagus like. For me, it’s worked great. Who knows what will happen to you - if you choose to let me stick you in the thing.

EDIT: Ok I edited my post, lol. I hadn't read your post yet Studious (I came right here to working thread)...

So, you're in the PHARS and healing and I've a fork ready to poke you to see when you're done.

Studious and Asher if you two could get together and let me know what you want to do with each other when Studious is through getting fixed.

I've left a number of ways you Asher could have either helped (or not) or made your way into my room (or not).

Or - Maybe it was the Shadowthingy trying to ge at Studious again???

Either way... What's next?

(Any gross mistakes i nmy post please let me know - I'm still not able to post as I'd like - thanks)..

[edit on 28-8-2009 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Or - Maybe it was the Shadowthingy trying to ge at Studious again???

Either way... What's next?

(Any gross mistakes i nmy post please let me know - I'm still not able to post as I'd like - thanks)..

For a sentient ship you sure get a lot of "bad" visitors, surely ship should be able to throw a bad guy/gal/thing out the nearest airlock? (just thinking)
:>

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by prof-rabbit

For a sentient ship you sure get a lot of "bad" visitors, surely ship should be able to throw a bad guy/gal/thing out the nearest airlock? (just thinking)

I agree with you 100 percent.
But, it seems like the Yydryl gets turned into the Good Ship Lollypop - at will.
One reason I (tried) to write Chumley ripping the newest - *add on* - out by the roots.

I want Asher on board, don’t get me wrong, but, I’m finding it more and more unbelievable that each and every time Ship comes into contact with *something else* she opens up her nether doors like an old *bleep* (can’t say that word here can I)...

Since the last intrusion at least she can’t be *cut* through any longer, and at least she has restricted areas now, but, it still seems like she can’t keep herself buttoned up.

Hopefully, in time, she will *learn*, and the crew will be in accord that those events are not allowed to continue.

At minimum at least when someone-something *tries* to interact with her - in the future- and in an invasive way - She’ll be given a chance to refuse or not.

Again, I’m not at all against Asher being aboard, just think it’s time for the Yydryl to step up and agree on what’s allowable, and not, in the future for their Ship.
And when that decision is made, stick to it.

At the moment I write it off as she's still in her infancy as a Ship.
I guess she is going ot have ot learn the hard way.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Studious and Asher if you two could get together and let me know what you want to do with each other when Studious is through getting fixed.

I think Studious is going to try to go all "Don Quixote" again when he realizes Seeker is on the Yydyrl.

But he'll be too weak to do anything of consequence besides a lot of yelling.

EDIT: I've been thinking is Delia somewhat autonomous from Ship?

Sort of like Rommie on Andromeda?

As a ship's avatar, Rommie is a unique aspect of the Andromeda's AI, which also manifests itself as a hologram and an on-screen image. Early on in the series, it is stated that avatars were created to allow the crew to relate to their ship on a more human level, and vice versa.

Since her creation, Rommie is shown to have evolved differently from the ship's AI. Rommie maintains a certain amount of individuality and is distinct from the core AI to a large but unspecified degree; they are often seen chatting, disagreeing, and even arguing. These disagreements often occur because Rommie exhibits human emotions much more deeply and strongly than the logic-oriented core AI.
Source

If this is how Delia is, perhaps she and Ship (herself) could argue.

Ship knows Asher/Seeker's intentions and has spoken more to Asher. But Delia has seen Studious sacrifice himself for her and trusts the Colonel more.

This could lead to an interesting internal struggle "within" Ship. With each "half" of Ship wanting to exact vengeance on a different intruder.

That could explain why Ship hasn't reacted decisively against any of the intruders this time.

If she didn't have this internal struggle she would have killed Studious and Asher (if that's possible now that he's in the 5th dimension
) a long time ago.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by Studious]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Well it would be against Opera rules to kill either of you but Asher is technically dead. I do not believe you can kill his consciousness in the 5th D, SHIP may not have allowed him to come into her main frame but he wrote it and so it is. BTW I have no problem with you there.

Studious dont start anything, you can yell and freak and stuff but no more fighting until we can wrap up some loose ends, ok?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Don't worry I made it so Studious would be too weak to do anything besides have a hissy fit.

What do you think of the idea of an internal struggle between Delia and Ship (herself)? (Mentioned in my previous post.)

It would explain why she hasn't killed anyone. With Ship defending Seeker because she's talked with him more and Delia defending Studious because he sacrificed himself to allow her to escape.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by Studious]

new topics

top topics

<< 172  173  174    176  177  178 >>

join