It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I'd just like to say kudos to the interplay developing between you two - that had me in tears listening to Neno's response to Studious. LOL

I'm still laughing -

"...before my belt buckle slaps the hell out of my backbone..."

ROFL

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Speaking of the interplay, are there any ideas out there as to a better way to handle the dialogs? I like the way it shapes up, but can anyone suggest a way to put it all together so that the dialog flows together, instead of several comments - end of scene - responses - end of scene again?

And I stole the part about killing privates from a staff sergeant who broke up a barracks fight (they were going at it with tent pegs). one of the combatants, in the heat of battle, failed to recognize the stripes. When he headed for sarge, tent peg in hand, sarge pulls out his trusty .45 (years ago - long before M9's), draws down on the miscreant, and calmly says " I'll KILL a private for that s---." The line stuck with me, and I been dying to use it for years.

nenothtu out

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Captain Cadybury, I am having a little writers block about what we want to call the sickbay? I dont want to use human terminology, so am having one heck of a time figuring a good name, kind of came up with a few like 'wellness bay' or my son suggested vitality bay, I just don't want t to sound like a medicare insane asylum ward off shoot... Any ideas anyone?

Also how big is our ship and how much room do I have for the clinic? I have some interesting pieces that need to take up space and of course I never travel without certain, critters as well as my botanist shelves.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Captain Cadybury, I am having a little writers block about what we want to call the sickbay? I dont want to use human terminology, so am having one heck of a time figuring a good name, kind of came up with a few like 'wellness bay' or my son suggested vitality bay, I just don't want t to sound like a medicare insane asylum ward off shoot... Any ideas anyone?

Sorry I’m not very good at making up names. All the names below certainly still would be human terminology but would be less recognized as such by English speakers.

Latin: valetudinaria (Where slaves and gladiators were treated.)

Persian (middle and modern): Bimaristan

Italian: lazaretto, lazaret (A place to quarantine sailors to ensure they would not infect the town with a disease brought from afar.)

Aesculapian: (adjective) Of or relating to the healing art. Of or relating to Aesculapius (the Greco-Roman god of medicine)

Czech: nemocnice

Slovak: nemocnica

Dutch: hospitaal, ziekenhuis

Estonian: haigla

Finnish: sairaala

French: hôpital

German: das Krankenhaus

Hungarian: kórház

Icelandic: spítali

Indonesian: rumah sakit

Italian: ospedale

Latvian: slimnīca

Lithuanian: ligoninė

Norwegian: sykehus, hospital

Polish: szpital

Romanian: spital

Slovenian: bolnišnica

Swedish: sjukhus

Turkish: hastane

If you were looking for something more English these words may be useful.

therapeutic

Restorative

Recuperative

Such as Place of Recuperation or something like that. (You can tell I am bad at making up names.
)

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Studious]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Sorry for the delay with my opening post... I blame work and all that real life stuff lol.

My intro will be done today (Friday 20th) first im gonna back read this thread and the story to see whats going on.

Thanks,

JQ.

Does anyone know if we can hyperlink banners (for signatures) yet, I tried the other day and it didnt work... unless I didnt code it right

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

I hadn't thought about that... But I'm sure whatever you come up with will be fine. I'll go along with it.

Also how big is our ship and how much room do I have for the clinic? I have some interesting pieces that need to take up space and of course I never travel without certain, critters as well as my botanist shelves.

I hadn't thought too much about that either but I'm sure we can just invent as much space as necesarry. Just go with what you want to do (within reason, of course) and we'll all work with it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I was thinking…

It might be a good idea to have some sections clearly defined as to what occurs. And then each person’s post would reflect their personal perspective of that event.

Something like the example below.

(Obviously I am not suggesting we have an event exactly like this but rather that we sometimes use a style similar to this.)

Example:

Event:
Ship is rocked by something. Systems are damaged and crew members are thrown out of their seats, Each character would then write their outward reaction in the non main story thread (here), allowing the writers to know what their characters would be able to see. Then each person would right their post in the Story thread.

Person #1: The ship was thrown about and when it finally stopped, people had been knocked right out of their chairs. Equipment had fallen to the ground and smashed. When I finally clawed my way back to my post the readings were haywire. As I looked around everyone seemed as shaken up as I was except Person #2, he was so calm. I guess that comes with experience.

Person #2: The rest of the crew seemed panicked but I wasn’t worried. Ships get blasted about all the time out here. Everyone needs to learn to roll with the punches this vast emptiness throws at ya. Panic is useless out here. That’s what this cold emptiness wants you to feel. The universe won’t kill you, your own fear will.

Person #3: As I looked at the shattered ruins of the bridge people, were clamoring back to their stations trying to get some understanding of what had just happened. Sparks were still flying from damaged consoles all over. But one man was calm, too calm. It’s like he knew this was going to happen. Knew nothing else was going to happen after this…

The above example illustrates how this would allow characters to act based on a situation and other characters reactions to it.

As always, this concept is just a suggestion. Please tell me what you think.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Hiyas All

Just wanted to drop in with a few comments:

I've been really overwhelmed the last 24 hrs ::whimpers:: and need to re-focus on the opera; that's one of the reasons I wanted to contribute to remind myself not to take everything so seriously
I'm going to make use of this!! But, I need a 24-48 window of ATS break - lmao - like that's going to happen - I can't quit you guys ::insert brokeback mountain music:: Seriously, I need to catch up on the postings. ACK with respect Captin - pdf? I'm on lame arse dial up and it seems to take a bit to get these up. Of course I'm going to read them
however, trying to juggle home life, ats, and the opera makes this process a bit slower - I know, my problem ::blush:: I'll deal with it - just have yours load while I'm makin dinner.

antar - thank you so much for the gift! Can I have one for real life or at least ATS life? ty Thanks for the link too!

So, I've got some reading to do
Happy Equinox,
Whisper

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Studious, I really liked the options and appreciate the effort you put into it
I personally liked the Lazaret, but am thinking of using the Recovery Bay??? Recuperative center? Id prefer one word which says it all, but have to make a final decision to write into my opening dialog and script.

Also Captain Cadbury thanks, I do have a wall sized ethereal waterfall which works as a total scanner/ restrative flow for healing injuries quickly.

I had to bring this as it helps me also identify unknown species and their Genetic makeup almost instantly.

Everyone will have to stand in it once I board and start doing 'physicals'. No One can get shy around me, and it really feels good.

BTW Captain what do you look like?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Studious

Aesculapian: (adjective) Of or relating to the healing art. Of or relating to Aesculapius (the Greco-Roman god of medicine)

Why not cut it short with Aesculpian Quarters? AQ for short?

"Will Studious please report to the AQ"

I dont know it will just have to jump out and poke me in the eye when the time is right...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

I know aren't those beautiful? I figured that one would be nice to rub your tentacles across and it is for ethereal boundary cleansing... Something we all have to face as we live in a world and dimension where the etheric planes do come in and we work with them too. I think your character was taken to an etheric plain against her will once long ago and held there, which was part of her anger issues or hidden anger now. So it will keep the etheric energies at bay for you...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Sounds like a good idea. Event (likely announced by nature or the captain) - crew reaction. Should help to keep things in line.

Unrelated note: I got nothing but sympathy for fooks. Divorce finalized AND his dog died on the same day? How does one go on after that? ESPECIALLY the dog dying part...

[edit on 2009/3/20 by nenothtu]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Seeker:

I've a couple questions for you to clarify things in my mind. Does your physical. or corporeal body have a station on the bridge, where it is "plugged in" or wirelessly networked in? If so, is that "you" visible on the bridge, or enclosed or walled off somehow?

regarding the projected "you", how solid is the projection? For example, could you shake hands with someone if you were inclined, or would it go "pfffzzzt" and pass THROUGH the targetted hand?

I gather the projected "you" is of a more "conventional" appearance, and I'm trying to figure out how startled my character will be if he sees the physical "you", what with his technophobia and all.

nenothtu out

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The whole CNN hologram thing in my post is real. It was used during the election coverage, but it only shows up in after effects.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the images are actually "projected" onto the floor of the CNN studio so that Wolf can actually talk to the person, you know, in a face to face. So it's not quite Star Wars just yet. Only after computers merge the video feeds together do you get a coherent hologram + person scenario

Source

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Studious]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Does it seem like we shanghai'ed the thread?

lol

I mean, I'll keep writing responses, because it's necessary to drive the overall story, but what happened to the other ship?

LOL

See you in the void.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by mf_luder]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
A couple new pictures:

Yydryl in orbit around a planet near the Orion Nebula:

Penelope approaching a wormhole:

I think the other ship is just laying low... maybe they're gonna ambush us!

nenothtu out

[edit on 2009/3/20 by nenothtu]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Those are awesome pictures. The ship needs some skin, man. lol

I certainly hope an ambush is not the case. I'd hate to have our first meeting be from the other ends of our respective gun tubes.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Yeah, I been working on the skin issue, haven't had any luck yet. I've got the model, and the skins (including glow for the engines), but I've yet to get 'em to work together right. Might have to download anim8or, and learn how to use it.

The alien ship isn't right yet either, but it's turned out better so far.

I'm trying to watch for bushwhackers - is it possible for someone to look EVERYWHERE at once?

nenothtu out

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I just have some questions before I post in the story again..

Who out ranks me (apart from the captain) do all heads of departments have equal rank?

Whats our crew doing about their own department staff... I intend on having about 500 engineers (on split shifts) and then maybe 5 to 10 officers that report directly to me. How do we interplay this.. can we make up names for these people or are we hoping new writers will take their roles.

think thats it..

Ive made this banner for anyone who wants to use it..

Again, not sure about the hyperlink code... if someone knows what it is then please post it on this thread. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Q
I just have some questions before I post in the story again..

Who out ranks me (apart from the captain) do all heads of departments have equal rank?

My intent was for the dept. heads to be of equal status, so that you guys would be able to work together without too much trouble. The fact that you are an ensign could bring some interesting story conflicts up later on, but as long as you are Chief Engineer on the Penelope, you are the equivalent of Security Chief Neno or the Doctor as far as I'm concerned.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join