It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 154
<< 151  152  153    155  156  157 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
On a separate thought concerning avian intelligence.

Flight would be out of the question unless they came from a planet with an abnormally thick atmosphere and that would require a higher gravity to hold it. Here's how I figure it, you need a certain amount of brain mass to have sentience. A creature the size of a crow wouldn't have the cranial mass needed. Most bird bones are hollow to save weight.

So, start with a bird that has the mass and lost flight long ago. I would say either a Emu type, Ostrich, or Moa.
Considering that a Moa could be 12 feet in height there would be more than enough body mass. Structurally wings are pretty much modified arms and hands. No reason that couldn't be reversed by a bird that didn't need to fly anymore. Now the Moa didn't have wings but a variant of a Moa type of bird could indeed. So you've got the mass to not only support a larger braincase, but it could defend itself against predators (Massive kick potential there).

The feathers on the body would (Like the modern day ostrich) serve as body temperature control and protection against the elements.

ok, here's the kicker about how strange you want this critter to be. You could go with a Larger head (thus allowing intelligence) or a secondary brain located in the main body. You could have the secondary brain (located in the body) being actually the main brain (as far as thinking) or taking over automatic functions allowing the brain in the head to do the thinking.

Just a few thoughts of mine. Yeah, I'll admit it, been reading SF for years and I have a particular fascination non humanoid aliens. (chuckle)

Edit for spelling
Edit to also add the fact that the Moa didn't have wings itself but this would be Moa like in size or somewhere in between.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Deson]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Very good, we are going outside of conventional science, this is fiction, although some may need reality to believe. They are not the size of a bird more like a 7 foot human with a very large bird head. I like what Deson had to say here, I can see the creature in my mind clearly.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Just dropping in to say hey.
Been busy. The job has been like juggling a bowling ball,a running chain saw and a puppy.

You know how it is, don't want to scratch my bowling ball.

I'm keeping up with everything but it's not allowing any time to write.
Lots of interesting stuff going on. I like it.

Silo is doing some real nice stuff.

Lots of good ideas going back and forth too.

I will be back to writing as soon as I can.

FYI
I think I remember one of the Opie spec ops guys from my days on Black Rock. His name was not pronouncable with human vocal chords but we just called him Corvus. He was a bad bad dude. He liked to torture prisoners but never wanted military info. Just did it to hurt them. He was good at war too. Very formidable.

If I remember correctly, the opie clans are run by leaders, tribal captians. The military groups adopt their leaders name symbol as an insignia. Some of the claw ship debris has a symbol that looks almost identical to the Corvus family crest. Not a good sign.

Gotta go.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by badgerprints]

[edit on 24-7-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Some further thoughts about the avian species (if you go with what I'm proposing):

Males and Females would have a feathery crest on the top if their heads. Originally it served for courtship and mating but now serves as showing of emotions instead. Since these guys won't have either lips or eyebrows I was busy trying to figure out how they could show emotion and here's what I came up with. Crest and head position are key to showing emotions to others.

Some that I've come up with:

Surprise: Head held high and crest fully extended. Originally to show alarm to "The flock" in primitive times.

Interest or curiosity: Crest extended but head tilted to the side. (Think of what a dog sometimes does when it's interested in something).

Anger or combativeness: Crest lowered fully, neck extended, and looking eyeball to eyeball with whomever or whatever is the potential target, eyes partially shut or maybe squinting.

Fear: Crest lowered fully, head retracted to as close to the body as it will go.

Laughing: Crest partially extended, mouth open, head and neck raised mostly up but not to full extent. (Think of a stretched "S") Some sort of sound may or may not come out of the being depending on whether it's a smile or a full on laugh. Your choice really.

Neutral: Head partially raised, crest partially extended, neck curved in a sort of "S" shape when viewed from the side. (Typically when walking down a hall lost in their own thoughts).

Deep in thought: (Sort of like "The thinker statue") Head tucked partially in and looking down towards the floor, Crest rises and falls smoothly, eyes are partially shut.

Asleep: Legs tucked under body and laying down, head is tucked under one arm/wing. Prefers a circular bed that would remind him/her of a nest.

What do you think?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Note: I had this written up before I read Badger's post above. His information there would enhance this report considerably, and his character was stationed at Black Rock for a long time, fighting the Ophiuchis there.

Edit: Badger's post above has been incorporated into this report, under the "Black Rock Colonial Archipelago" heading.

This is what I've been able to glean from the 3 threads concerned with the Ophiuchi subject, condensed and gathered into one place for reference. I'll try to keep it current with new developments and decisions as to body type, etc., and eventually post the Intel report in Luder's "UEF Canon" thread if there are no objections.

INTELLIGENCE REPORT 232007242331SCN

UEF-MIHQ
NOFORN

SUBJECT: Ophiuchi Consortium - Limits of Knowledge

1. GENERAL

The Ophiuchi Consortium is located in the direction of the consellation Ophiuchi, as seen from Earth. The Consortium, although possessing far more volume than the UEF, is located in a more thinly starred region of the galaxy due to it’s greater distance above the galactic plane. Because of this, it is believed that the Ophiuchi Consortium has access to fewer resources than the UEF, and far fewer than the Orion Alliance.

Source: (Encyclopedia Galactica - Galactographic Reference) (nenothtu) post by nenothtu (towards the bottom of the post)

2. HISTORY

2.1 Deep Space disturbance

ALERT

Gravity waves detected

Location - NGC 6240

Massive Astrophysical Compact Halo Object (MACHO) Two Supermassive Black Holes on verge of merging.

Constellation Ophiuchus - Earth Distance 400-million light years

Potential hazard:

Ophiuchus Consortium in state of disarray. Outposts warring.

Source: (Masqua) post by masqua

2.2 Black Rock Colonial Archepelago

The Black Rock Colonial Archepelago is a cluster of UEF colonial outposts in the Black Rock Sector, in the direction of the constellation Ophiuchius as seen from Earth. There is an on-site military presence to guarantee the safety and security of the colonists. The colony cluster came under attack by Ophiuchi Out Marauders, resulting in a protracted military campaign between the UEF and the Ophiuchi Marauders. The military units stationed there had their hands full with the hit-and-git raids of the Ophiuchis. No one really knew what had stirred the Ophiuchis up, but they came on with a vengeance. None were ever captured alive to gain intelligence of their reasons. They had weapons that would melt solid rock into slag, and a man didn't stand much of a chance. It was considered better to die by friendly fire than to be captured by the Ophiuchis. Federation forces had to wipe out entire Ophiuchi raiding parties. That was one fighting bunch of aliens. they'd die before they'd break off the attack, and die they did.

The fighting was like that all through the Black Rock Sector, for a long time. Neno couldn't imagine being stuck in that for any length of time. Badger had been.

Source: (nenothtu) post by nenothtu

Report by "Badger" Chase, from his time stationed at Black Rock:

FYI
I think I remember one of the Opie spec ops guys from my days on Black Rock. His name was not pronouncable with human vocal chords but we just called him Corvus. He was a bad bad dude. He liked to torture prisoners but never wanted military info. Just did it to hurt them. He was good at war too. Very formidable.

If I remember correctly, the opie clans are run by leaders, tribal captians. The military groups adopt their leaders name symbol as an insignia. Some of the claw ship debris has a symbol that looks almost identical to the Corvus family crest. Not a good sign.

Source: (Badger) post by badgerprints

2.3 Ophiuchi Attack on Earth

On Standard Date 232007130249 Earth was attacked and heavily damaged by elements of the Ophiuchi Consortium. An armada of gargantuan, claw-shaped spacecraft, described by Captain M.F. Luder, USS Penelope, commanding, as " akin to the half-torn claws of some ancient demi-god. They looked to be more of a combination of organics and machinery than they did anything else. They were making quick work of everything the UEF was throwing at them."

Earth was decimated by what appeared to be a nuclear attack, thousands of detonations launched from the claw-ships. After decimating the Earth, the Ophiuchi ships moved to the Lagrange Station and obliterated it, killing all personnel except those few who escaped in escape pods before it's total destruction and the subsequent withdrawal of the Ophiuchi ships after they had once again turned weapons upon the Earth to complete the destruction.

Source: (Luder) post by mf_luder

2.4 Positive ID of Vessels involved in Earth's Destruction

The ships engaged in the destruction of planet Earth were positively identified as belonging to the Ophiuchi Consortium by Security Chief nenothtu, USS Penelope. Ships records indicate that he said specifically: " I've seen those kinda ships before , Cap'n. They were Ophiuchi Dragon Claw dreadnoughts. Badger's probably seen 'em too, at the Black Rock Colonial Archepelago. They were... bothersome thereabouts. Never seen that many at one time, or this far in, though. Can't imagine what they found so important it'd provide an excuse for THIS..."

Source: (nenothtu) post by nenothtu

3. ANALYSIS

It was only a matter of time before the Opiuchi attacked. Maybe there could have been battles further out towards from whence the black holes collided and the displaced begin encroaching on Earth Federation.

Doesn't matter that Earth got nailed, though, because it places all the remaining planets under Earth control in the same panel. Humankind is now out of its nest and must learn to consolidate from a new base. This certainly isn't the end of the Federation just yet.

The demise of the Ophiuchus Consortium was mentioned by me only as a result of two immense black holes merging. The threat that they pose are the remnants fleeing from the outposts of their civilization and they obviously headed for earth first, so the logical notion is that they knew about Earth beforehand.

4. CONCLUSION

The above information constitutes all of the confirmed intelligence on the Ophiuchi Consortium at this time.

Edit: to add ex tags, and of course for my normal spelling errors.

[edit on 2009/7/25 by nenothtu]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Studious: Your post on the Second Invasion of Yydryl has a double post in the single post. The first half appears to be appended to it at the end of the post.

We gotta kill the NI infiltrators all over again?

(neno grubles "frakkin' clones!" as he goes to retrieve his rattle rig and weaponry)

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Oops sorry about the doubled up part in my last post.

I fixed it now and added...

Then turning his gun to the right he saw Evans and then Monroe and finally Nathan. They were all built into the side of the ship. But continuing to look further to the right he saw three more cocoons.

Moving closer to it Studious couldn’t see very well what who was inside. Assuming it must be another captured UEF crewman he pulled the membranes aside and what he saw made his face turn pale white. It was another alien. This one had a mechanical suit attached to it.

Studious assumed that they must be making duplicates of races outside the UEF. Wondering how many duplicates these aliens had created and among how many other groups. The UEF, these mechanical aliens and perhaps the Opiuchi.

He checked the next cocoon and found that it was a human with civilian clothes.

Moving to the third cocoon he was shocked. It was the same type as the aliens that had captured him.

Studious said aloud “Why would they cocoon their own?”

Mechanical suit alien is supposed to be "ToTheTenthPower."

The human in civilian clothes is supposed to be "TheMythLives."

The alien that looks like the ones that captured him before (Regellian) is supposed to be "Scurvy."

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Studious]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Hi. I am Mr. Toodles. I will be joining the penelope crew. Thinking Science officer position. Love me cause I am cool.....haha.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

Well Hello there.
Welcome aboard.
This is kind of a surprise.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

We'll love you when you earn it...haha.

Welcome to the Space Opera.

Have fun on the Penelope!

[edit on 25-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Welcome aboard!

We def. could use a science officer.

As a way of introducing you into the opera, we could say he was picked up from one of the escape pods floating in near-earth orbit.

Maybe that will allow us to explain why he's here now.

Look foward to seeing you around the thread.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Welcome aboard! We sure can use a science officer right about now... got lots of analysis to do!

[edit on 2009/7/25 by nenothtu]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

I noticed that but didn't have time to really dig. I thought he was in some form of thought loop to display symptoms of insanity for the reader. I noticed that but didn't have time to really dig. I thought he was in some form of thought loop to display symptoms of insanity for the reader.

Welcome Mr.T
You'll have a great time discussing the vagaries of wormhole/hyperspace travel with Myron Francis and skeeter.
Nice to have you aboard.

Want some nice opie scraps to autopsy (sp?) and add your 2 cents on the new evil bird people that are threatening humanity?

Badger and Nasty will snag a floating feathered corpse and drag it home with the rest of our scavenger hunt loot if you are interested.

Later

[edit on 25-7-2009 by badgerprints]

[edit on 25-7-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

I noticed that but didn't have time to really dig. I thought he was in some form of thought loop to display symptoms of insanity for the reader. I noticed that but didn't have time to really dig. I thought he was in some form of thought loop to display symptoms of insanity for the reader.

Has anyone told you that you ain't right yet today?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Has anyone told you that you ain't right yet today?

No but I have been accused of being nuttier than rat poop in a peanut factory.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

The last 4 posts nearly killed me today... just thought I'd let you two know.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Note to all readers.

Beware.

It is possible to shoot half chewed marshmallow from your nostrils while reading BadgerPants posts.

End of my Space Opera public service announcement for the day.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Ok, my first post has been made. Hope I didn't screw up too bad

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Looked fine to me.

welcome aboard, Mr. Toodles.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Awesome first post, man!

We'll get things moving along here soon.

new topics

top topics

<< 151  152  153    155  156  157 >>

join