It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 150
<< 147  148  149    151  152  153 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
There is getting to be a growing list of participants who are not participating. Most have left without as much as a sayonara while a few have given a reasonable explanation and a willingness to return.

It's a perfect time, in the confusion of the OC surprise attack, to post the demise of those who have left their participation dangling (pardon the pun).

A rule from the OP:

A team member may choose to park a character for some period of time, provided that time does not exceed 30 days. Thereafter, Nature reserves the right to cause the untimely death of the Team Member.

The solution may be the certain demise of those who have left without expressing a reason and an uncertain one to the ones who expressed a desire to return one day.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

You have my 100% backing for that action.

By all means.

Rest assured the current crew of the Penelope are all still present and accounted for.

+ Our rogue Colonel (Lieutenant) -

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
... post the demise of those who have left their participation dangling (pardon the pun).

Is 2/3 of a pun a P-U?

Whisper wrote herself out so as to enable a return. Have Tenth and Myth been out 30 days? My how time flies when you're having explosions! If they have, maybe our rogue Colonel can take 'em out when he arrives at Yydryl, a glorious death and journey to Valhalla.

The missing captains of Yydryl present a special problem, as they seem to have vanished in the story without a trace, and so aren't around for a glorious death. Maybe find their carcasses stashed between a couple of bulkheads, with a rouge assasin on the loose in Yydryl? I know poor old Chumley would be freaking out if the captains' bodies were found, and Whisper was still MIA.

And Penelope still has a missing doctor that wasn't ever killed off.

I'm not sure what angle to approach the investigation into war crimes aboard Penelope. We have the UEF VP aboard now, and presumably she's the president, since Earth got zapped, unless the REAL pres was somewhere else...

She's "barred" from the bridge, but would have to go there to "interview" Asher, since he's pretty well bolted in to the structure now. Other than Luder, who would have to recuse himself, she's the highest ranking UEF person aboard, and there ain't no telling where the next highest ranking "JAG" type individuals are in the universe, what with all the destruction, confusion, and scattering. I'm not sure of legalities here. Can a VP hold an inquest? Or is she likely to become president, and so CinC?

[edit on 2009/7/22 by nenothtu]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Well, before the real president miraculously appears exactly where Studious is and gets his side of the story - the real one WAS killed on Earth.

I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to write the whole inquest thing in. Right now, she doesn't even know about the events the Penelope's been through. She, I think, was more concerned with being in the middle of everything and wanting to take a type of stance on getting control of what appears to be an out of control situation.

Other than that - we'll have the inquest start up soon enough. Expect that you'll probably either be leading it or be one of the heads of counsel, based on the fact you are now the highest ranking Security officer for at least 4 ly in any direciton.......

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Those Yydryllians sure are a forgiving bunch of aliens!

Here's where Luder warned Yydryl that an unauthorized attack was inbound to them, and not Penelope's doing (should be in Yydryl's records): post by mf_luder

Here's where the NI team's goal was to plunder the Yydryl of some sort of "device" (might be in Yydryl's records, depending on how well she monitor's stuff, or whether Carpet can understand Human): post by Studious

Here's where NI was intent on killing anything that got in their way: post by Studious (Silo was spared only because they expected to turn her into a guide for them, and against her own crew)

Cim reported the assault to Luder as a "vicious attack": post by cindymars

Luder's response aboard Penelope (which of course wouldn't be known to thos on Yydryl): post by mf_luder

Luder's farewell message to Yydryl (should be in Yydryl's records - Cim and Silo were already gone to Earth): post by mf_luder

Here's my post establishing prior conflict with Ophiuchis at Black Rock: post by nenothtu

Tenth's last post: posted on 2009/6/16 @ 21:48

Myth's last post: posted on 2009/6/19 @ 17:10

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Masqua I am still around, please don't kill me.
Just contemplating my next move.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I guess that means my head can stop hurting now! (From banging on the keyboard)!

Thank you Masqua for making that clear for everyone.

I know I’m looking forward to cleaning the Yydryl up a bit.

What the heck, a lot.

peace

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Maybe find their carcasses stashed between a couple of bulkheads, with a rouge assassin on the loose in Yydryl?

Well, hmmm, that does present a problem.

Ship’s a living thing - highly sensitive and all that blah blah... She’d know if something was on her right? Some *rouge assassin.*

Having bodies stored on Ship is even more implausible - Unless someone can write up a way they’re hidden even from Ship?

I mean sure, we (people) have gross cootie bugs on us we can’t see - parasites on our eyelashes, worms, etc... So, maybe someone can pull this out of their hat and make it plausible - I just hope not at the expense of making Ship look like a fool. That would get some serious write around.

Any ideas Neno?

By the way THANK YOU for your post. It's going to make my job a LOT easier trying to smash things together. I really appreciate it.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

I'm not about to go 'wild west' on this at all, so you're safe.

I've composed a U2U which I'll send out to all of those ET's hanging in empty space to either come home or die trying.

Let's compile a list...

Lost in Space

Cadbury
loam
whiterabbit85
DJMEssiah

Still Orbiting

TheMythLives
tothetenthpower
scurvy

Please add to it or remove someone and I'll send the U2U once we've agreed.

[edit on 22/7/09 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

QA and Whisper did write themselves in the Opera to a place, so I think they can do their thing. The others?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

I've taken Whisper67 off the list, QA too. Anyone to add?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I really feel compelled to post this for the Space Opera.
I saw it in another thread here on ATS but can't find which one.

I hope you all enjoy it - I just LOVE it.

Also, there is a free download if you like it and want to keep it on your computer outside of YouTube or transfer it onto an Ipod.

I’ll post it as soon as I get it sent to me again in my email or YouTube account if anyone’s interested.

And yeah, I'm using it for inspiration while I'm tying in to whatever *inspiritous* helps me write for Silo on the Yydryl.

(Course the beer and the marshmallows don't help either, lol - I'm such a lightweight - One beer and a half a pack a candy and I‘m all sappy happy)! lol

Edit: Here's the download link.

EDIT 2: It was this thread by GOTZEUS here where I saw the clip the first time.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Scurvy's last post on ATS was here in the working thread, where he said he "might" be back in the fall if work slows down for him. It also sounded kinda final, with an "I've enjoyed writing here" sort of flavor, so I don't know where that stands.

SILO! Beer and MARSHMALLOWS?!?!? You ARE one tough kind of little lady! Come to think of it, I recall you posting about ATS Silo drinking wine to wash down pretzels... I had to go back and review that whole segment of story, so as not to get lost without details, and thought it might benefit the general population here, hence the linky post.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

hehehe

The beer and marshmallows was for real... Thank goodness I stuck to one (ok two beers) or I'd not be back here at 0600 in the morning.

The marshmallows are a real treat. I can't get them where I live and a friend of mine sent me a package from the States thinking it would be *cute* to use real marshmallows as packing peanuts. So I ate them.

Let me reply here about Scurvy in another post so it does not seem like it's directed at you.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
About Scurvy He said:

If there's anything you guys want me to tie up please let me know via a U2U and I'll include it in my final post.

I U2U’d Scurvy (when he was on line) reminding him (of the above quote) and asking him:

1. Can we keep you alive in name only and use your character like a NPC so at least we don’t loose another Captain?

2. If we write you out, how should we go about doing it? You disappear exactly when the Yydryl gets hit with an attack and it looks horrid.

Well I got no answer to either inquiry - Not even a quick ‘Do what you will’.

So, after weeks of the Yydryl writers being put on-hold, it all boiled down to just another abandon ship leaving the Yydryl even more inept than before.

How is it left now?

To Date - Scurvy, the Yydryl Captain, ditched us at the first sign of a fight, with NO explanation for the crew, or readers. UGH!

I wish it was different. I tried to keep that character alive for the sake of the Yydryl and for Scurvy’s sake (I really felt bad him having to leave he seemed to like the Opera so much) but in the end it was his choice.

peace

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Ok, that's it.
All of the nonparticipating characters are hereby transferred to the Federation garbage scow "Speed Of Smell" until properly written out of the Opera.
They will wear unflattering jumpsuits with their names on them. They will smell of rotten potato peels and moldy cheese.
They will only have six month old copies of readers digest and hot rod magazine for entertainment and their fridge dont work.

So there.

They ship out for the hunky junky planet of discarded "as seen on TV products" first thing in the morning.

[edit on 23-7-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Hi All,

Because what happens on the Yydryl effects the Penelope I hope everyone will give me some input here.

The Yydryl has problems and one of them, in my mind, is what is she and what is she all about.

This has never been tackled and since there is no one around and we’re trying to do some cleanup with back stories I figured it’s time to add something about Ship. (I mean all we know about her is Captain Cadbury brought a bunch of us together, and that's that).

In a segment of my next post Ship explains herself.

I’d appreciate it if you all would read the bit about Ship and tell me if it’s plausible, if it’s not too hokey-dorky etc.

If you’ve anything to ADD to it I so hope you do!

Remember it's a very ROUGH segment as there’s no reason to refine it until I get feedback from everyone.

Also, I’m leaving the last part (about Cadbury) open until I hear from the writers.

If I don't hear back - I’ll just post it in completion and get it over with.
It’s just too painful to continue writing without doing some clean up.

Thanks
gracie

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I’ve edited out all but when Ship speaks so it will seem a bit disjointed but a quicker read for you.

'Silo, I'm as alive as you are but I didn’t start out like you see me now. Far from it.‘

‘I was one of the first Ship’s ever designed, somewhat like you were in LAB, but most people don’t even know what Ship means, they just take it as an offshoot of Starship. It’s not.’

‘Ship,’ she went on without waiting for me to ask, ‘stands for Symbiotic Homophoric, meaning self specifying, Intergalactic Propulsion System, or Ship. Intergalactic or interspace because I wasn't designed for dimensional travel but, it doesn’t rule out I can’t in the future.’

‘There was no regulations on S,H.I.P.S back then, like there is now. Sadly enough the UEF has come down so hard with regulations lately I doubt you’ll ever see a ’free flyer’ like me again. The few of us out there? Thanks to a lack of funding, ongoing wars, ignorance on the parts of our many designers and some fate tossed in we were - for the lack of a better way of explaining it, we were just let go.‘

‘There was a time Silo I didn't even control my own navigation. I was young and still growing and learning and back then all I did was regular cargo runs for LAB. I was new, one of a kind, and needed flight time. How better to fund LAB’s ongoing work than to *rent* me out. I learned every time I made a mission and it generated funds and saved the cost of LAB training me themselves.’

‘Later, as I grew, I took on droids to help with crew and passengers as demanded by independent contractors. It wasn’t until the UEF needed me for a mission and Deson came aboard that I was fitted with weapons and fighters.‘

‘It’s just a coincidence that at the same time I matured to the point I didn’t need a captain, the Captains started disappearing. The first to go was the Rigelian Captain Cadbury.’

‘What did the Rigelians contract you out for Ship?’

‘I don’t know. Once the crew came aboard Cadbury vanished before anyone, including me, found out. The same with the ‘other Captains‘.’

‘So what now Ship?’

But Ship didn’t answer.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Please let me know if you think the above will work.

Of course it is fleshed out for the post.

Also, if anyone can come up with a better idea for the S.H.I.P please add that too!

Symbiotic, Homophoric - (meaning self specifying), Intergalactic Propulsion System or Ship.

Thanks...

*Crossing fingers this works*

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

That is AWESOME!!!!

Work that into the story and I think it'll make perfect sense, plus it adds background to your side of the story - the Yydryl and it's origins.

I like it.

new topics

top topics

<< 147  148  149    151  152  153 >>

join