It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 149
<< 146  147  148    150  151  152 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I had thought it was one long wormhole and that's why I didn't understand it, but since you meant multiple wormholes it makes perfect sense.

I have a question before I post in the story thread. Can I use the terms "hyperspace" and "hyperspace away" etc... if I mean the wormhole version of the term?

[edit on 19-7-2009 by Studious]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerOfAUTMN

That's what I tried to say, but you said it a lot better. The only thing I would add is the bit about the intervening masses, which distort spacetime on their own, some for better, some for worse, depending on which way you're travelling (the energy of some would hinder, and have to be overcome, while others would help, and probably be sought out). The intervening masses are one of the reasons that a series of wormholes would appear "random" in normal space, because of routing to either avoid or seek them out.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

My personal attempt at a visual concept of travelling through a wormhole. I doubt you could use that image in the Opera without some major CGI, but there it is anyways.

I don't see why that wouldn't work to illustrate the opera - the circles or spheres would represent the light from stars either before or behind the travelling ship (I recall seeing somewhere how relativistic travel would make them appear bunched together like that), and travel speed would cause a color shift...

Naw, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Studious

I had thought it was one long wormhole and that's why I didn't understand it, but since you meant multiple wormholes it makes perfect sense.

I have a question before I post in the story thread. Can I use the terms "hyperspace" and "hyperspace away" etc... if I mean the wormhole version of the term?

I don't see why not. "Hyperspace" would be (higher dimensional) space other than our normally recognized 3D space, which gets into N-dimensional problems, but sure, I'd say "hyperspace" to distinguish it from "normal" space could be used with whichever travel method. It's main point is to show there is something taking place in other than "normal" space.

In the case of wormholes, they would be a "bridge" containing normal space, between folds of normal space, but utterly surrounded by hyperspace except at the ends. A series of them would be acting "through" hyperspace in such a manner as to allow movement that appears to be superluminal (from the viewpoint of "normal" space).

Lordy, all this talk is making me see visions of Galactic Whack-a-mole: spaceship pops out and back in, first here, then there, then over there...

Edit: What is "hyperspace away"? I'm not familiar with the term.

[edit on 2009/7/19 by nenothtu]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
Edit: What is "hyperspace away"? I'm not familiar with the term.

I think I've been watching too many Stargate reruns.

It just means leaving via hyperspace.

The Wraith cruisers hyperspace away and all remaining darts make a kamikaze run. Fortunately the Z.P.M. is connected and powers the city shield,

Source

(Emphasis added)

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Exactly right, intervening variability of space time would have a tremendous effect on a folded wormhole.

People like to think of wormholes as drawing points A and B on a piece of paper and then folding the paper until the points meet. In a way, that's correct, but the reality would be much more chaotic.

More like taking a piece of paper, crinkling it into a ball, and then drilling a tiny hole between points A and B. There are going to be variations in the composition of paper (space/time) along the drill path. The wormhole would compensate for this by taking the path of least resistance, just like everything else in the universe.

This is also why wormholes are still science fiction. The amount of computing power needed to do the math for something like this is beyond colossal.

The key is to first understand and interpret the "quantum foam" beneath the atomic level to a point where one could locate a wormhole going to the proper location. It would take a huge leap in quantum computing technology to make this possible. Then, the trouble would come from taking that quantum wormhole and making it big enough to fit a spacecraft through.

If you figure out how to make it work, let me know. I want in on it.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerOfAUTMN
Then, the trouble would come from taking that quantum wormhole and making it big enough to fit a spacecraft through.

If you figure out how to make it work, let me know. I want in on it.

To make the spacecraft fit, you will need:

1) A matchbox
2) A pair of tweezers
3) A telescope or pair of binoculars, and
4) A spacecraft

You open the matchbox, and put it beside the spacecraft, then look at the spacecraft through the binoculars or telescope, but backwards (objective to ocular, instead of ocular to objective), and while it's shrunk like that, you pick it up with the tweezers, drop it in the matchbox, then close the matchbox while it's still small.

Easy. Think I can patent the method?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I hope you all enjoyed my last post.
I really had a blast working the pictures.
I accidentally hit *reply* once again so I’ll have to go back and edit the text after work.

SORRY!

Anyway, I’m learning a lot about PhotoShop thanks to the Opera!
I’ve still got a long way to go to get to the quality of pic I want, but, since I hope the Opera will be around for ages it should give me some time to refine my pics...

[edit on 20-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Yydryl has really cool rifles and pistols, Woods to hide in, and now caves to live in.

I'm gonna defect.

NOT gonna volunteer for Captain there, though. Ya can't even DRAFT me for that!

Excellent post and pix, Silo!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Thank you Neno.

The Yydryl still owes you U-Mans a dinner... (The one CindyMars promised you all.)

After my antenna are fixed I’m going to delve into those communication boards... I’ll get the full extent of the report on Earth’s damage and info on the warrant for Studious...

Maybe then Ship will head your way and meet you instead of waiting for you all to show back up in our neck of the woods...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The Captain of the Altair would have known all that was mentioned in the arrest warrant after he reviewed the data tapes.

"It's a trick. Send no reply. Send no transmissions of any kind." is a quote from Obi-wan in "Episode I: The Phantom Menace."

Modified to "It could be a trick. Send no..."

Determining age by the rings on someone’s teeth is real. Source

Fitting that I’ve had Studious develop a way to test for infiltrators because Luder called me Gaius Baltar. (For those that don’t know that fits with the actions of the re-imagined series’ Gaius Baltar.)

“Cruise Liner 798” is a reference to “Colonial 798” which was renamed “Colonial One” after the Cylon attack in the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series.

(I would have just had the Altair have had an FTL capable ship aboard but I remember that it was said that the smaller craft launched from the ships were not capable of that and I wanted to keep continuity intact. I apologize if it makes it more confusing and that it makes a long post even longer.)

[edit on 20-7-2009 by Studious]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Oh my...

If we'd known you were coming we'd have Cim bake you a cake!

She makes a mean chocolate cake - Yum!

Well, whatever happens this should be interesting!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Oh my...

If we'd known you were coming we'd have Cim bake you a cake!

She makes a mean chocolate cake - Yum!

Well, whatever happens this should be interesting!

You're gonna bake a cake for the guy that just cut Yydryl up, set her on fire, and attacked your crew for performing a mission of mercy?

And to think Studious was carrying on about what vicious man-eaters y'all are!

Make sure you sift all the teeth and fingernails out of the cake dough...

You'll recognized him - he's coming in a leaky scow beaming out a distress signal (perfect cover to invade a ship known for errands of mercy, if ya ask me), and will evidently do a final insertion in a covert ops pod while you're concentrating on helping the "crippled", but empty, starship. Covert Ops? Wasn't that the infiltration route LAST time?

Yeah, it ought to get interesting for sure!

[edit on 2009/7/20 by nenothtu]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Whisper would love a human cake.
Maybe that would get her back here. LOL

Shuffels through cookbook.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

Whisper would love a human cake.
Maybe that would get her back here. LOL

Shuffels through cookbook.

Whisper will be back, probably in the fall. I'm pretty sure of that.

I think the recipe you're looking for is for a pie, rather than a cake. Mincemeat, to be more precise. With the recent trip to Earth's past, you probably already have all the apples and raisins and stuff to mix in, so that you don't get those "Hey! This tastes just like CHICKEN!" comments...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

You trying to make me jealous?
You saying you have talked to her?
Kidding yes that is what she has said.
Still some Studious pie might get her to stop by earlier.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Badger lies slumped over the bar with an empty bottle of tequila next to him. He opens one eye.

"Cake?" he mumbles.

He closes his eye again and begins to snore.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Awesome way to work in the Baltar reference. I was thinking straight BSG when I read your post.... lol.

Good work.

Oh, and I think you should be given the honorary title, "Sci-Fi Guru." You have seen them ALL!!!

lol

[edit on 20-7-2009 by mf_luder]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I’ve done my best to keep Whisper alive in everyone’s minds in the Opera cause I really hope she comes back ‘home’.

And she’d better come back! Poor Chumley will just die if she doesn’t.

As for Studious, sure he set cut up the Yydryl, set fire, didn’t give me the time of day - but - wasn’t he on a mercy mission?

Hey, with my fascination and obsession for U-Mans only being slightly fractured I’ll probably still want to feed him cake.

Hey wait a minute - was Scurvy a rascally fellow when he was younger?
Could it have been him who gave me that lip -lock on earth?

Nawww...

*Places another basket of limes next to Badger and wipes a bit of drool off his chin* ... *Since no one’s looking - does a shot of Badgerbritches tequila*...

Holy hellfire! What's in that stuff!
Woohoo!
I hope you bring a bottle a that to the YYdryl when you come for dinner some day!

[edit on 21-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I’d hoped to run into Slayer today.

Anyone seen him around?

I remember back when he said he might be off line for a while.

Is he AWL?

peace

new topics

top topics

<< 146  147  148    150  151  152 >>

join