It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 145
<< 142  143  144    146  147  148 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Nope nobody....I have the secret map, he might try and steal it from me, so maybe I will have hide it on Earth's past.

Robot flesheaters scarey!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
hey everyone! Sorry about the delay but a number of things came up here. Including such things as trying to deal with a lice infestation on Kathy's Guinea Pig.

Anyway, I've finished constructing the torp and missiles for the Yydryl fighter. Hope you like it.

Here is a side view.

Link to full sized side view pic.

Angle view showing the steering nozzle arrangement better.

Link to full sized angle view

Some things to note:

There is one main nozzle and 8 steering nozzles (4 front and 4 rear). The front 4 are at a 45 degree rotation from the rear 4 giving it a 8 way steering capability. More if 2 or more nozzles are fired. It can be used in either atmosphere or in space. The range on the Anti ship Torp is much longer than the missiles themselves so a attack run against a larger vessel would consist of getting in range of the Torp launch against larger vessel and then break off to go after any fighters.

The Missiles and the Torp are about the same shape and rough design except for the size. The Torp (one per fighter) is against larger vessels (anything that carrys more than 4 people). The missiles (4) are used against fighters and small craft (fighters, shuttles) and things like that.

The warhead on both uses a image recognition seeker warhead and guidance system. In other words it builds up a 3d model of what your aiming at and goes for it. Chaff, flare, and jamming won't affect it. Aproximate time for lockon is roughly 5 seconds. A trifle longer than a typical heat seeker but MUCH harder to spoof.

Warheads:

Missile:
Uses a high explosive charge that sends shrapnel as well. Does nasty damage.

Torp:
Uses a armor piercing shape charge designed to go through at least one probably 2 layers of hull material.

Your best counter measure against this little monstrosity of my design is to out fly it using maneuverability. Perhaps a head on pass and then jerk out of the way at the last second. That could certainly build suspense for the reader. Out running it wont work since it can fire all 8 steering rockets as well as the main one for additional speed in a straight chase and then steer once it gets close for the kill.

Well what do you think?

oh and Silo, I've been giving some thought to your knives and here is what I've come up with. I hope that I'm not too late on these thoughts.

A total of 9 knives maximum.
All of them would have narrow sheaths to protect you until you use them and can be stored in a pouch. Blade length would be about 6 inches or so. Basic blade design would be pointed for piercing making them very effective at Piercing and viewed point on would be a basic wedge shaped blade. You can also throw these as well.

4 Blades would excrete a neurotoxin that affects the central nervous system sort of like a rattlesnake venom does but much faster. I figure from stab to unconsciousness would be about 10 seconds. Death in roughly a minute.

4 blades would use a modified version of the electrical generation gland that you would find in a Earthly Electric Eel. Recharge time is about 20 seconds or so.

The last one is what I call a "Special" Looks like a ordinary knife with a blade of 6 inches however the upper 4 inches (away from the hilt) would be edged with Monofilament. Monofilament is a wire (typically carbon) that is one molecule thick. It slices in the spaces between molecules. It'll cut through just about anything material. About the only thing that it won't slice through is a wall made of pure carbon and who's gonna have armor or a wall made out of a Flawless Diamond? Very nasty and multi usable. The sheath for this one is made out of pure carbon to keep you from slicing yourself when you put it way and the monofilament covers the upper 4 inches so that will allow you to use it in relative safety.

Hope that the ideas meet with your approval.

Edit to add attack run strategy.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by Deson]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Badger just checking in.
Still very busy. Trying to come up with time for a post but I think I am going to have to let the wing go with the flow for another day or two. Just assume that badger and his wing ared dutifully carrying out rescue ops.
Will get back as soon as I can.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Ok, I'm groggy and prepared for sleep but I seem to have finished the yydryl fighter.

Angle view.

Angle view full sized pic

Side view.

Side view full sized pic.

Something that I forgot to mention earlier. This little creampuff had a pair of rear mounted, Rapid fire, Pulse lasers. This serves two functions.

1) For taking out missiles that are coming up the rear.
2) To discourage enemy on your tail.

I'm sorry, I don't have a full sized pic of the rear turret because in my rather groggy state of mind, didn't think to render one but you can see it clearly in the smaller sized pic.

OK, now I fall down and go boom into the bed.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Sorry, but that albatross jump ship isn't coming back on board the Penelope.

I'll save the last of our ammo specifically for that one vessel......

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Deson those are some pretty sharp looking crafts.

Great work man.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deson

Angle view showing the steering nozzle arrangement better.

Link to full sized angle view

Well what do you think?

The phrase "evil genius" comes to mind...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder

I'm not sure where it came from, unless a contingent of "our" Marines stole it and took off, since we'd decimated every other Earth ship in the system... that would add "Desertion" to the charges of "Mutiny" for that bunch.

Anyhow, we're no longer in that system for a "pickup", so where they gonna go? Earth is zapped, so they can't go home, even if a jump ship (aka troop transport = armored shuttle) could make the run to Earth...

[edit on 2009/7/15 by nenothtu]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Good work Deson!
I know right where to insert that missile.

PS: TMI on the GP.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

I'm not sure where it came from, unless a contingent of "our" Marines stole it and took off, since we'd decimated every other Earth ship in the system... that would add "Desertion" to the charges of "Mutiny" for that bunch.

Anyhow, we're no longer in that system for a "pickup", so where they gonna go? Earth is zapped, so they can't go home, even if a jump ship (aka troop transport = armored shuttle) could make the run to Earth...

[edit on 2009/7/15 by nenothtu]

Sorry about the confusion.

I did mention what was happening but only in passing.

Originally posted by Studious
He passed out again and they took him aboard the Altair placing him in a high pressure 100% oxygen chamber just in time.

(Emphasis added.)

Plus there is a large picture of a ship in the background of the Albatross dropship. Here and in the Story Thread.

I've posted my next post early. It should clear things up entirely.

How did this ship find Studious you ask?

Colburn: "Looks like I won't be able to tell Fleet Command we found our lost ship."

Since the Penelope was missing for a long time a ship was sent out to find her. That ship was the Altair. It may not have found the Penelope but it did save Studious.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by Studious]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
The only thing I can see being an issue is I already established the run from where Studious is to Earth as being a 2 hour wormhole hop.....

He has a tendency to not see the whole picture and the last thing we need is some Captain he's "convinced" we're evil to come barging in during the middle of rescue operations....

Jesus.

Good thing the UEF has those ship-to-ship dialing codes that only Luder knows that can shut down the ship.

LOL, totally j/k.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
OK I'll try this one last time (my posts keep dropping out when I submit them)

I thought it would be nice to get everybody together in real time so we can throw ideas around and get a general consensus on the direction of the thread. (It seems there has been a bit of frustration lately) I just though it might be a good idea so that we can work together better.

I'd like to suggest that we agree on a time to all get into a chat room and well,.....chat.

It might clear up some things and I think it would be usefull for the thread and fun as well.

Opinions on that ?

My job has been very time consuming (like putting pajamas on a porcupine) this deployment and I am short on time but if we can set a date and time I'll be there.

I've got people with pitchforks and torches running in my direction so I gotta go.

Later.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

The only thing I can see being an issue is I already established the run from where Studious is to Earth as being a 2 hour wormhole hop.....

If you're referencing the fact that I had the ship arrive so quickly I can explain that.

If you were not referencing that disregard the following explanation...

I assumed that were a ship, like the Penelope, to "disappear" like she did. (Disappear as in jumping away without contacting the fleet.) That a ship would be sent out to search for the "lost" ship.

I figured that the ship send out to search (The Altair) would, since so much time had passed, at least be close to the last location of the Penelope. Meaning it would be closer to the Penelope than to the Earth. Remember during the entire battle with NI the Penelope was out of contact with the fleet. This means that the Altair would have had a very long time to get close the Penelope.

With the Penelope jumping away and heading to Earth the Altair, which would be close to where the Penelope was, would be the closest ship to Studious. Thus being the first ship to reach him.

Here's the line from my most recent post which references this in passing...

Colburn: "Looks like I won't be able to tell Fleet Command we found our lost ship."

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Studious]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Studious

I was more referencing the fact that it will only take 2 hours for you to get to where we are and start being a massive pain in the arse again....

lol

[edit on 16-7-2009 by mf_luder]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I can see neno taking a drastic turn toward the Dark Side. Get them cookies ready, Vader, 'cause here he comes!

An exploration of the human condition, if you will. Just how far will one man go to defeat an insidiously creeping, spreading insanity that threatens everything he's ever know, and everything he's ever stood for?

An insanity that knows no bounds in it's disregard for, and manipulation of, "facts" to achieve it's own nefarious ends?

Can combat of such an opponent even be viewed as having gone over to the Dark Side? What means does the liberty of the entire human race, and ultimately all other UEF races, justify?

Can I get those cookies in peanut butter?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I'm just curious at what point Studious managed to omit the fact that the "NI" ships blatantly threatened the Penelope's crew before showing those "data" tapes to the Captain of the Altair.

It isn't normal procedure to have the data tapes or any backups of such tapes anywhere than on the command center itself. That's only a local recorder for primary events that take place outside the vessel or combat, etc.

Secondly, I'm almost at the end of my rope here.

Luder isn't going to even blink at taking.... steps.... to ensure a rebellion isn't fomented on the Penelope because of a crazed character's misconceptions of past events.

and believe me

The Altair is a medical relief/search and rescue ship.

It's no match for a Ventura-Class.

So let's dance.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Badger as much as I think that is a good idea, I can only access ATS at work.
I screwed my home PC and have not fixed it yet. So yall let me know. I am now ok with Luders choice because I am the only character with access to Earth, HA!

Enjoy your Battlestar Galatica search for a home. whilst I can still enjoy yours. HA!

BTW Luder your backstory was a good read.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

She's a Light Cruiser
.......But your still right the Penelope would completely obliterate the Altair in about 3 seconds.

(The Penelope's blown up carriers and battleships with relative ease so I doubt a little light crusier could do anything.)

You don't have to worry about me coming in guns blazing I have something entirely different planned.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Luder isn't going to even blink at taking.... steps.... to ensure a rebellion isn't fomented on the Penelope because of a crazed character's misconceptions of past events.

A bit of review may be in order at this point:

1) Studious, in company with known and confirmed NI agents, attacked a peaceful alien vessel that was rendering aid to one of Penelope's crew, the apparent objective of said attack being to destabilize relations between the races.

2) Medical records indicate Studious is clinically insane, and talks to people no one else can see. Somehow, those records were "removed" from the official UEF medical records of the Altair.

3) Further record tampering is evident in the fact that, while knowing WHO he was, the Altair crew Apparently had no access to records of his demotion by his legitimate chain of command. Who can "disappear" records like that? NI.

4) NI ships appear out of nowhere, and promise destruction of Penelope if their demands for illegal action are not met. Said ships are obliterated for terroristic activities of the NI personnel aboard.

5) in the middle of a fight for life, Studious, and several of his Marines, in a blatant disregard for chain of command, life of crew, and the good of Penelope and the UEF, attempt to stage a mutiny, in support of the same NI that is trying to erase Penelope.

6) After this action is over, Studious runs for his life, but is miraculously picked up by a ship that "just happened" to be in the right place, at the right time. Just like the NI ships, and not very long after, either.

7) The captain of the Altair, in complete disregard of Studious' legitimate chain of command, medical history, prisoner status, and recent activity, not only fails to restrain him, but illegally promotes him.

8) Studious has used doctored data tapes, manipulated to remove exhonerative content, and stolen by some means from the Penelope's Command Center, and smuggled past several layers of security measures, to influence UEF personel into taking a stance AGAINST the UEF, in time of war. Treason is thus added to mutiny. These methods also indicate an NI connection (data manipulation and smuggling).

All of the above, taken together, indicate that Studious is actually working for: 1)NI; or 2) the Ophiuchi Consortium; or 3) NI, who is working for the Ophiuchis. In any event, neno's analysis of the situation has placed Studious at the end of the enemy food chain.

Unfortunately, neno is at war with both NI, and the Ophiuchis who have just made a mess of his homeworld.

That means Studious too, at this point. His actions indicate that he can only be working for one or both enemy factions as an agent. The next question is how many Marines has he infected? Are there ANY Marines loyal to the UEF left aboard Penelope?

Cap'n, reccommend another full lockdown of the Marines until such time as their loyalties can be verified, or they can be replaced with fresh troops. The ones aboard were not terribly effective during the NI episode, and as a matter of fact actively worked against the UEF.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Several corrections need to be made. Some of them are important for continuity. (See Numbers 2 and 6.)

1) Studious, in company with known and confirmed NI agents, attacked a peaceful alien vessel that was rendering aid to one of Penelope's crew, the apparent objective of said attack being to destabilize relations between the races.

The attack was an authorized mission to attack a hostile vessel that if we recall was behind the mind control of the Nimitz incident and thus the entire war with Alpha Centauri. The objective of said attack was to rescue a fellow crewman that had been captured by the enemy.

Luder's refusal to review the Chief engineer's scans, which would prove the ship was hostile, is suspicious.

2) Medical records indicate Studious is clinically insane, and talks to people no one else can see. Somehow, those records were "removed" from the official UEF medical records of the Altair.

Incorrect I had Studious seal the brig so no one would hear his insane rantings. The only reason Horkos knew about this was because of the bugging device on Studious given at L2 around the time of the Tribunal. I called it the ID badge then and it was the thing that kept beeping. Logically the bugging device would not be in the ships records.

3) Further record tampering is evident in the fact that, while knowing WHO he was, the Altair crew Apparently had no access to records of his demotion by his legitimate chain of command. Who can "disappear" records like that? NI.

Also incorrect the Penelope never made contact with Earth about the demotion. They didn't know because Luder never sent a message to Earth that Studious was demoted.

If however you're referencing that the demotion would have been in the data tapes you are correct. The Altair's Captain after reviewing the records would've deemed the demotion suspicious. Particularly since Seeker who had also commit a criminal act was promoted. The refusal to review the scans of the hostile ship was the last straw.

4) NI ships appear out of nowhere, and promise destruction of Penelope if their demands for illegal action are not met. Said ships are obliterated for terroristic activities of the NI personnel aboard.

The legality of actions on both sides is highly debatable.

(Example: The CIA shows up and tries to arrest people. Saying basically "Come out with your hands up or we will fire."

Once NI was disarmed they were killed in cold blood.

Though this could be seen as illegal because most "Western" intelligence agencies do not have the power of arrest.)

5) in the middle of a fight for life, Studious, and several of his Marines, in a blatant disregard for chain of command, life of crew, and the good of Penelope and the UEF, attempt to stage a mutiny, in support of the same NI that is trying to erase Penelope.

The threat made by NI was unknown to Studious and definitely unknown to the Marines. All were acting in the idea that Luder was attacking Earth ships for no reason.

6) After this action is over, Studious runs for his life, but is miraculously picked up by a ship that "just happened" to be in the right place, at the right time. Just like the NI ships, and not very long after, either.

I'll say this one more time. (See my posts in the working thread on this Here.) The ship was sent to search for the Penelope because she had jumped away and had not made contact with the fleet for a considerable period of time. The ship did NOT "just happen" to appear.

7) The captain of the Altair, in complete disregard of Studious' legitimate chain of command, medical history, prisoner status, and recent activity, not only fails to restrain him, but illegally promotes him.

Studious is only a rescued survivor given the guest quarters. He has taken no command position aboard the Altair. As I stated medical history would not have been in the data tapes ONLY NI would have known that. (See the description under number 2.) If the promotion of Studious was illegal so was the promotion of Seeker who had also committed a criminal act.

8) Studious has used doctored data tapes, manipulated to remove exhonerative content, and stolen by some means from the Penelope's Command Center, and smuggled past several layers of security measures, to influence UEF personel into taking a stance AGAINST the UEF, in time of war. Treason is thus added to mutiny. These methods also indicate an NI connection (data manipulation and smuggling).

The data tapes are undoctored. Studious is not telling them to take a stance against the UEF rather he is attempting to inform Fleet Command (Which unbeknownst to him is decimated) of the true actions of Luder. (Studious assumed incorrectly that Luder would wipe the records.)

new topics

top topics

<< 142  143  144    146  147  148 >>

join