It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 135
<< 132  133  134    136  137  138 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
A little something to get the blood pumping

[edit on 1-7-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Thankee sai. Francis Myron.

Slayer,
Nice vid.
Wash is my co pilot.

Originally posted by nenothtu
I'm.... I'm... I'm... FLABBERGASTED. How many times can Asher give his life to save the Penelope? Two down, seven to go?

Yup.
I suggest we petition the powesrs that be for an ATS first. If Asher gets to nine lives we have his avatar name permanently changed to "Earl the dead cat."

[edit on 1-7-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I will have a post up in less than an hour. (EDIT: That was a bad estimate.
)

Please don't capture me yet.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by Studious]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Again,

This: www.youtube.com... is eating up a lot of my free time, so please forgive me.

Can't wait to see how the battle unfolds.....

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
EDIT: I've posted. Mutiny Part II

(Although technically it wouldn't be mutiny as the Captain had "gone rogue" and therefore Studious would actually be the loyalist in this situation.)

The image is a flashback of Studious on the Saratoga Bridge with the Syntiro burning on the viewscreen.

Click the link with the "I" to see the full image.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Studious

I'm so confused now.
Is the P still in a fight?
Has she opened fire yet on the other two ships?
Will our heroes live another day?
Will Studious find his long lost cane?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The Penelope is still engaged in a fight.

The fighters are engaging one of the three NI Battleships.

One of the three NI ships the Khaos has been damaged by the explosion of the dropship in it's hangar bay. It's shields are down.

Studious is threatening the Captain with a gun.....again

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

But what about the cane? Our readers are dying to find out.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Hidden for the moment in case Seeker should find a way to "unplug" and start shooting me.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
"Cap'n, why is it every time I come onto your bridge, I gotta whack somebody?

Totally unexpected.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
"Cap'n, why is it every time I come onto your bridge, I gotta whack somebody?

Totally unexpected.

Not to neno. He's beginning to expect a fight on every approach to the bridge, and might even start approaching with a weapon already drawn from here on out.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Some notes on general law as applied to Penelope's dire straits:

1) Ships, just as individuals, have a right to self-defense when threatened. The NI threat to destroy Penelope, and/or kidnap her captain and a crewman was an act of piracy. A genuine and valid "arrest" would have occurred when Penelope got to port, OR a fleet vessel would have effected the arrest, NOT NI. Piracy, plain and simple. Penelope is within her rights of self-defense. It's the NI ships who've gone rogue. Besides, the likeliest course of action for NI would have been to destroy Penelope to hide the evidence, with an attack while she was "headless" had the captain and Asher gone over as demanded.

2) Mutiny is a serious problem with ships far from port, with no immediate support. That's why the penalties for it are so severe. Shooting the captain would be the act of a "fifth columnist", an NI agent sent to assasinate him to facilitate an NI takeover or destruction of the vessel.

3) Trying to kill your own leadership in the middle of a firefight is generally frowned upon, and considered bad form. Especially in front of witnesses, whose very lives depend on that leadership's continual functionality through the fight. A leaderless group is a DEAD group under such circumstances.

4) No valid Persons in Luder's chain of command ordered him to stand down. The NI ships were not "friendlies", they were hostiles, who had already signaled their intent to commit a crime "on the high seas", and decidedly NOT in Luder's chain of command. This made them valid targets for destruction.

Neno knew and evaluated all this, and knew Studious DIDN'T know all the circumstances, so he didn't feel justified in outright shooting him dead, except as a last resort. Neno DIDN'T know that Studious was under the impression that Penelope was firing on "friendlies", and in fact he wasn't quite sure where Studious gained his knowledge of WHO was being fired upon, not having been privy to the occurrences on the bridge. I presume studious found out the ships were NI when he appropriated the earbud at sickbay, but neno knew nothing of that, and had to presume that Studious got his information from a comm link to NI, and the possession of such would indicate that Studious was a 5th columnist NI sleeper agent.

Or maybe he just wanted to whack somebody so they didn't spoil the fight in NI's favor, regardless of what was on anyone's mind.

Or maybe it was just the call of duty to defend Penelope and the Captain from any dangers he could (both foreign and domestic), at any cost.

Or maybe he just wanted to whack somebody, and didn't really think about it at all.

[edit on 2009/7/1 by nenothtu]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Or maybe he just wanted to whack somebody, and didn't really think about it at all.

Yeah that's the ticket.
You're a closet psychopathic whacker.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Studious is under the impression that mind control is afoot and that the Penelope is being used by some foreign power to kill friendly ships.

The Colonel has experienced this sort of thing at Norfolk. (Not mind control per se but friendly fire.)

Studious sees it this way…

NI’s threat is more of a “Freeze. Drop your weapons and surrender yourselves. Or you will be fired upon.”

Than “Hey, stick ‘em up or I’ll full you full of lead.”

Sequence of events…

1. A crewman aboard a warship kills a special ops team.

2. The ship's Captain promotes the murderer and no investigation into the event is launched.

3. Those who protest are imprisoned.

4. Other ships arrive to arrest the Captain and the murderer with the warning that they will be fired upon if they do not comply.

5. Instead of complying the rogue warship opens fire.
(Studious doesn’t know it yet but this is the real number 5. Instead of complying the rogue warship sends a vessel with sedated prisoners across which explodes damaging one of the three vessels. The rogue ship then readies it’s weapons to fire.)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
My next post is modified from "Crimson Tide"

"Crimson Tide" Youtube video watch between 7:46-9:12

Though I hear Gene Hackman saying "Mr. Donaghey" in the clip the IMDB refers to the character as Dougherty (Doe-er-tee) so that's the name I picked.

The character Charles wasn't pulled out of nowhere he was mentioned in a previous post in one line.

Lt. Jones: “I’ll be right back, Charles keep these guys focused.”

I'm assuming the guards that loaded the prisoners onto the ill-fated dropship would probably have spread the information about the death of the prisoners. However I'm assuming many people would initially think it was a rumor.

EDIT: I just realized Studious hasn't really met Slayer in the Story personally so I've changed that line to "get to the Chief Engineer."

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Yeah that's the ticket.
You're a closet psychopathic whacker.

Yeah, you got my number!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Once again, Penelope is going to be the scene of as much fighting INSIDE as it is OUTSIDE.

The two security contingent guarding Studious is in a WORLD of trouble. They seem to have forgotten who they take orders from. I'll bet neno can remind them, probably not "ever so gently".

The Marines, who are also under neno at this point, really ought to think this out, but I bet they won't. If ANY of 'em want to live to fight another day, their best bet is to lock themselves in their quarters, and call for an arrest party to come get 'em. Any marine drawing a weapon on any Penelope crew person has forfeited his life.

Remember, neno was about to shoot most of his own men who panicked into a retreat on Black Rock, one of whom was his own son in his first combat action.

Imagine what he'll do to strangers who forget what their chain of command is, and are collaborating with the enemy and trying to kill off the entire Penelope crew.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Is it just me, or does it seem like almost everyone on the Penelope is a stone cold killer?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I'll wait a little bit longer before I start decompressing decks

That's no gravity for you, and no gravity for you and for you my pretty here is
1000 Gs damn that was the wrong gravity plate to stand on...

[edit on 1-7-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Studious
Is it just me, or does it seem like almost everyone on the Penelope is a stone cold killer?

Well, some of us are crazy, and some of us are stone cold killers, but it might be a safe bet to say ALL of us are crazy, stone cold killers!

well, except Luder. He's just trying to keep us all alive and get us home... I think he and Slayer are the only ones who haven't killed, or at least attempted or threatened to kill, someone so far. Humanity is such a bloodthirsty bunch... it just ain't safe to get around us sometimes!

There's an old italian word, "vendetta". NI better study up on it, 'cause neno just grew one for 'em!

One thing that amuses me to no end is the fact that Charles and Jones don't seem to have figured out that there's a WAR going on outside their little protective bubbles, and are intent on wreaking havoc INSIDE Penelope.

Are you SURE those guys are Marines?

[edit on 2009/7/1 by nenothtu]

top topics

<< 132  133  134    136  137  138 >>

join