It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 126
<< 123  124  125    127  128  129 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

No thank you, I will be away from the Yydryl a lot.
I cannot TT the Yydryl maybe the whales but not the ship.
Actually I can take them back to Atlantean days if they wish but it will have to wait in real time not story time.

I want to write with NPC characters after I am done with Silo, I want and need the freedom and leisure to do so. I will be on and off the Yydryl.

No Captain for me, what you want me to dissapear too!

Joking.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It would be a high honor to step into Skyfloatings position TTTP. Interesting that I sense you have a melovolent side about to come out and Sky was pure consciousness and benevolence. I like it. Balance.

Silo and Cin are you good with TTTP becoming Nav? Now how to smoothly transition into that one on the thread?

And how do we explain scurvy? Maybe I could go looking for him to tell him about the whales and none of us know where he is and with ship still repairing, soon to be fully functional, we could all meet on the bridge and discuss this together? We at that point make ship the captain!

It almost makes sense to have Silo do both parts because she seems to have ships personality down to a T... But this will be easier and we can interact with our Captain without having to wait.

I see the ship incorporating all of our past Captains attitudes into her mainframe... Lol, yes this will be interesting, a ship that commands the passengers and crew...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Cool so you can transport the whales and their 'bubble' safetly to earth in any time frame they wish , good! Also I did not 'want' either of you to become Captain for fear the Opera would loose you too!

Good to be back!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I get so confused when people use TTTP lol If it's not too much of a bother can we just refer to me as Keeper? lol

Too many abreviations here on ATS haha.

Yeah, umms, I like your scurvy idea, and I REALLY like the ship taking in all their personalities, that's pure genius.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

We have yet to give The Dark Lord justice, so if you want to bring out his destiny in the thread be sure and read the beginning f the Opera to get the facts right ok?

Great! YYdryl Navigator Keeper it is!

[edit on 17-6-2009 by antar]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Agreed every writer needs to have read the entire Opera.

Also please all call my character Cim and me Cindy if you would please.
Thank you so much.

PS: I am good with Ship being its own Captain and Keeper can be Nav or whatever he wants. Everybody just be happy in RL and creative at the Opera.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yes I will certainly do so, My post will go up today or perhaps tomorrow I am not sure, kind of a busy week.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Sounds great Navigating Officer Keeper!

As for explaining Scurvy - IMO it would make sense to the readers that you take on that task Antar - I say this only because you’ve both been out of sight for a while. Question is do you want to do it?

It almost makes sense to have Silo do both parts because she seems to have ships personality down to a T

I'm not even remotely interested in talking for Ship with the rest of the crew.

IMO it would be more feasible and convenient for writers to interact with Ship on their own as it falls within their story line.

Big decisions for the storyline we can hammer out here in the working thread and then whoever is speaking with Ship at the moment in the story can reveal any important directions the story will take. (Suggestion)

I see the ship incorporating all of our past Captains attitudes into her mainframe... Lol, yes this will be interesting, a ship that commands the passengers and crew...

That’s genius talk Antar, thank you!
That would perfectly explain the different *tones* in Ships voice!

[edit on 18-6-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars
Agreed every writer needs to have read the entire Opera.

PS: I am good with Ship being its own Captain and Keeper can be Nav or whatever he wants. Everybody just be happy in RL and creative at the Opera.

Agreed; Learning the back story should be a requirement.

Well I have a couple of questions and a request for Everyone.

First off...
I had proposed a few weeks back that at the beginning of the opera on the first page that the rank and name badges be linked to the players profiles, either the real players/writers or link them to a characters fictional profile page. The proposal was well received back then but nothing further was said or came of it as of yet. Just curious.

Second.

What about chapters? I was thinking that since we have writers who seem to be sticking around and the storyline is starting to flow again. We should declare that what has been written thus far as Chapter 1. I think linkable chapter jumps would be a fantastic way for the reader to locate and navigate their way through the storyline. Any reader can just jump to where they left off in references to the chapters?

Lastly but not least!

I have a personal request to all the present/current writers. If you know for a fact that you will be out of action for more than say 3 days. It is your responsibility to inform at least one other opera writer to carry a message and explain your absents. It gets very frustrating to maintain the story line and interrupts the flow of ideas and the creative spark when we have to constantly rewrite situations for the plot in order to accomidate somebody going AWOL from the opera.

Thanks

Slay

[edit on 17-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Agreed Slayer!
I like your idea but who is going to execute it?
I don't want to change my avatar.
Whats a faux profile page and where would it be?

I just wanted to invite fellow writers to share their perseptions on the Opera and how it affects your life.

If you feel like it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Because it dang sure affects mine.

And it would be off topic here.

Peace!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I had proposed...badges...link them to a characters fictional profile page.

Wholeheartedly in agreement with the badges linking to bio‘s/profiles. Great idea...

I can’t comment on chapters because I’m not sure how that would work with people following their separate story lines but you’ve not led us astray so far so I’ll just follow you on this one and say YES! I Agree, lol.

I have a personal request to all the present/current writers. If you know for a fact that you will be out of action for more than say 3 days. It is your responsibility to inform at least one other opera writer to carry a message and explain your absents. It gets very frustrating to maintain the story line and interrupts the flow of ideas and the creative spark when we have to constantly rewrite situations for the plot in order to accommodate somebody going AWOL from the opera.

You bet’ya!
And, there should also be a penalty here.
Sorry, but if people don’t have enough respect for their fellow writers to make some accommodations for them I don’t see why the writers left active hold bend over backwards for them.
Write them out of the Opera (for good) and move on.

Of course there are real life interruptions and emergencies, but that’s not what I’m talking about.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I agree totally. Great ideas slayer and yes there should be a penalty. We need to have writers who are committed to the long haul, I mean at least a dozen posts or so before they want to leave.

It's just too much of a jumble to have 40 writers in and out all the time.

I like the badges Idea, but don't know how that would work.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I can agree with all of that and have been doing so regularly on the number 3 suggestion.

I also think the link to each of our profiles is an awesome idea as well.

I was planning on one weekend sitting down and transferring the entire thread to Microsoft Word format by hand.

Then - taking our posts and making them into actual story-like format with each character coming in as naturally as they would during a regular book.

I was then intending to make that available on my media portal for all to download.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Oh and also - I can promise that with the material we all have already written....

there's far more than Chapter 1.

LOL

I sometimes wish we had actual character names - I've dreaded explaining why my parents gave me a name w/ an underscore in it.

lol

[edit on 17-6-2009 by mf_luder]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
It's remarkable the way the Science forums seem to be picking up on the same stuff that the Opera is using. I wonder if the main thread is actually acting as a source for members to start searching out some of the terms like Dark Energy and the possibilities of FTL through folding spacetime and womholes.

I love it.

Great posts on the visit to contemporary Earth, btw.

Or, and this is a scary thought, we might be creating reality as we go! If that's the case, remind me NOT to board an actual space ship with this crew in the future, not even for just a "3 hour tour"...
they are thoroughly dangerous bunch, and I'd hate to get swatted by the skipper's hat all the time!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deson

You want a model of the warpship? I can probably build it. I'll have to take a look see. Got the thread already bookmarked. Did you want a actual 3d model or a rendering? By the way, I'm in the process of rebuilding the Yydryl fighter design. Got most of the main body built and the pylons already. Now it's a matter of adding in the engines, weapons systems, and further texture work. This'll take a couple of days so please bear with me on this.

The actual model, if you can find the time, so I can use it for Celestia renders, like we tested out with the Civ2 ship. As I said before, I still have that model, and can use it instead if you can't find the time. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure another application for it will evolve in the story as we go.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Studious

Studious: “Give me the cane.”

Guard: “No way! I got this from some prisoner.”

“Look at me I’m like 100…just give me the cane.”

Well I guess to 19 and 20 year olds you would be ancient.

I spat my coffee out when I read that.

Good move! I inhaled mine instead, and that never turns out well.

I'm still drying my lungs out.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deson

On a related note: I've just finished rebuilding the basic framework for the Yydryl fighter. Next will be adding in of weapons systems and maybe some touch up.

Full sized pic

Wow! Organic fighter that looks sort of dragon-fly-ish to me. I like that, but I'm glad I won't have to face it. Study up, Badger!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I've got WAY too many replies in a row here, so I'll try wrapping up two in one.

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Well I have a couple of questions and a request for Everyone.

First off...
I had proposed a few weeks back that at the beginning of the opera on the first page that the rank and name badges be linked to the players profiles, either the real players/writers or link them to a characters fictional profile page. The proposal was well received back then but nothing further was said or came of it as of yet. Just curious.

Grand idea, if the badge pictures can be 'linked' by Masqua. I'm still puzzling out neno's backstory, but a link to my profile, or neno's character in Luder's thread when I get it done, or a separate 'profile' for the neno character all works for me.

Second.

What about chapters? I was thinking that since we have writers who seem to be sticking around and the storyline is starting to flow again. We should declare that what has been written thus far as Chapter 1. I think linkable chapter jumps would be a fantastic way for the reader to locate and navigate their way through the storyline. Any reader can just jump to where they left off in references to the chapters?

Another excellent idea. But I'm with Luder on the notion that there are multiple chapters already. We need to puzzle out chapter breaks. For Penelope, I'd imagine each trip out, ending in the inevitable disaster, would be a chapter of it's own. Yydryl I dunno. The Yydryl crew would have to figure out what suits them.

Originally posted by mf_luder

I was planning on one weekend sitting down and transferring the entire thread to Microsoft Word format by hand.

Then - taking our posts and making them into actual story-like format with each character coming in as naturally as they would during a regular book.

I was then intending to make that available on my media portal for all to download.

Another Grand Idea! Lotta work there, but I'd be happy to see it! Studious has a good start with his Synopsis writeups.

Originally posted by mf_luder

I sometimes wish we had actual character names - I've dreaded explaining why my parents gave me a name w/ an underscore in it.

I've just taken to calling your character 'Captain Luder', and treating the mf_ as if they were his initials. That's MY strategy, anyhow.

'nenothtu' is a title, really more of a descriptive noun for a type of person. It's Shawnee, and means 'warrior', hence the reason that I don't capitalize it except at the beginning of a sentence.

Since you brought it up, why DID your parents give you a name with an underscore in it?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Wow! Organic fighter that looks sort of dragon-fly-ish to me. I like that, but I'm glad I won't have to face it. Study up, Badger!

In that case your just gonna hate what I have to show you. OK, from what I'm figuring that this is a Very Heavy Fighter (as shown) Weapons can be added or removed to suit. This picture shows the "Loaded for Bear" mode.

Full sized pic

Engines: 4 (Mounted on the ends of the Pylons)

2 being capacity (Pilot and Weapons Officer)

Armament (maximum):

4 Beam weapons each mounted on a Pylon (Mid Pylon Mount)
4 Anti-Fighter missiles (2 top mount and 2 bottom)
1 Anti Capital Ship Torpedo (Bottom mount, for use against larger vessels)
1 Rear Mounted "Scatter pack" missile array. (To discourage anyone from coming up on your rear)

You'll note the gray background on this. It saved me time trying to get lighting appropriate etc with the textures. This is only a preliminary rendering to see what you people think of the design.

---------------------------------------

Concerning the Warp ship, I can probably do that. I'm trying to remember the format that we exported the other ship in. .3ds format I believe?

new topics

top topics

<< 123  124  125    127  128  129 >>

join