It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 107
<< 104  105  106    108  109  110 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
Holy crap.
You guys don't do crazy by halves do you.

Nope, we tend to jump right in, and splash around!

I'm a Major?

I don't know what neno was thinkin.
This'll be a hoot.

What neno DIDN'T tell you, in the 'interview' is that you are part of the ship's "Command Staff", and as such hold an equivalency rank on board ship. The Captain outranks all of us, well except for me right now 'cause he left me in charge so he could go down to the planet, and probably get in some sort of trouble (that tends to follow us - no wonder we're nuts!)

By 'equivalency rank', I mean that you, I, Slayer and Studious hold a rank relative to Penelope of 'Commander', even though otherwise, away from Penelope and Penelope functions, we hold a different rank. Studious is a Colonel, on the outside, and sometimes is called by that title here (I'm guessing that his 'colonel' rank also assists his Marines in getting a firmer grip on his place in their universe). Slayer and I are both 'Chiefs', now you are a Major. If your uncle didn't want you to soar like an eagle, he shouldn't have let you cross neno's path. The secret is, that we all, except the Captain, have the same 'rank' and don't outrank one another.

I think neno might be jerking your chain

On my last job, my rank depended on what specific site I was at. Sergeant one place, Lt in another, etc. It was kinda confusing, but I got used to it. Also on a personal note, as a general rule, Warrant Officers are the only officers I ever met who had any common sense about them. I'm not sure why that is, but while the rest of the officer corps would run around like headless chickens, ANY Warrant Officer would generally get the job DONE. They were like Super Sergeants as I recall, without the general need for attitude, in a limbo between Enlisted and Officer Corps, and frequently SEEMED to outrank both.

on a serious note
I need a bit of help if somebody wouldn't mind.

Where can I get the wing commander badge? Are there some made up and in a location or will I need to fabricate one?

I'd also like a copy of the Penelope symbol to incorporate into my avatar during my time with the thread.

I'm also looking for a picture of a badger wearing a flight helmet or at least a pair of pants.
That one might be hard to come by.

Yeah, make sure it's got them pants on!

I believe a badge is in the works for you, and you may already have it, I've been away a while and don't know. The Avatars were made by JohnQ for us, and I lettered in mine and Luder's with our shipboard positions. I'm pretty sure I still have the blank, and can label one for you if you want, or just send the blank to you to do what you want with it, and trick it up as you please.

I'm off to get caught back up now.

Edit: in getting caught up, I saw that Deson already posted your badge. Let me know how you want to handle the avatar.

[edit on 2009/6/3 by nenothtu]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deson
ok, people a brief reminder before it get's buried. I need to know whether to go with the Carbine (short rifle) design that I've got a picture of here or not. If not then how can I improve it. I just woke up myself and I'll be looking through the thread at the latest posts to try to mentally keep up with what's going on so that I know what to work on next.

Besides, it'll prove to be something pleasant to wake up to while I drink some coffee.

Yydryl Crew, prepare for boarding! neno's gonna raid you, so he can git him one of them guns too! ARGH, maties!

Or I might try to find something to trade for one, y'all can be a violent bunch at times and I'd prefer NOT to be eaten, if I can avoid it... I'm guessing pirates might fall into the 'food' category for some over there...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Badgerprints, here are the Penelope avatars for your approval:

the blank one -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/01e96b8b155f.jpg[/atsimg]

One labelled specific to your position:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/834ef608a1a3.jpg[/atsimg]

Right click on the images, download them to your computer, and you can put them in your media pictures folder, and set whichever you want as your avatar.

If they get botched up, I can convert them to PNG, and re-upload them.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars
Hey Opera writers...
Should I just freeze time as a lot of people are away and such?
Antar is on vacation,Tenth has family emergency,Luder cannot be around.
Just a thought!

Since Neno did not comment, I did not want this to get lost. Now I am going to leave the ship soon, as I want to create, not leave the story but the area, so Silo, want to come with, I blowing this pop stand.

Edited to clarify:

Not leaving but popping into another time and place.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Hey guys
Thanks for the avatar and blank.
I've been doing some reeeeesearch and found out a ting or too aboot
Military air force makeup.
We've got 72 birds according to info on Penelope.

That breaks down to
1 wing - 72 birds
2 squadrons - 36 birds each
8 flights at 9 birds each
24 sections at 3 birds each.

so, that's how I'll set it up with some basics for characters and positions.

I'm going to have to add these in for dialog and interactions within the wing.
People would think I was nuts if I flew around talking to nobody.

I'm working on an avvy based on the one you provided neno. Thanks.
I'll add a new post this evening.
I've got lots to do so I'll just keep on writing. Badgers got a lot to do before he can go joyriding.

Back later.
Thanks.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Hey Opera writers...
Should I just freeze time as a lot of people are away and such?
Antar is on vacation,Tenth has family emergency,Luder cannot be around.
Just a thought!

Since Neno did not comment, I did not want this to get lost. Now I am going to leave the ship soon, as I want to create, not leave the story but the area, so Silo, want to come with, I blowing this pop stand.

Quick question, will you be leaving for good, or will this just be for a few days?
The reason that I'm asking is that in some respects i'm gonna be busy. On either saturday night or sunday, I'll be taking off with my friend Carol to do some work on the horse farm. I'll be back on Tuesday (probably afternoon or evening). I'll try to get as much accomplished graphically as I can between now and then. I'll start working on the rifle design tonight. Luckily in some respects I can re-use some of the parts from the Carbine. So I should have it done by then and maybe one of the Semi-portables as well.

Edit to add: Just added the Carbine section to the Yydryl spec thread. I guess with the addition of aliens perhaps more accurately a guide to the Orion Alliance. (chuckle) Which suits me fine.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Deson]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Hey guys

We've got 72 birds according to info on Penelope.

That breaks down to
1 wing - 72 birds
2 squadrons - 36 birds each
8 flights at 9 birds each
24 sections at 3 birds each.

Do you mind if I borrow those numbers info for the Fighter Compliment of the Yydryl? Since both of the vessels are pretty much evenly matched, I figure go with a matching number. If that's ok with you.

Edit to add: WOW!! I just noticed your new avatar. Very snazzy!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Thanks Deson.
I figure if we're all putting in this much effort, we might as well advertise. I don't think many member know about it.

As far as the numbers on the birds , no problem. Use them however you like. Me statistica es su statistica, or something like that.

I'm testing my badge to see if it stays on the left side of the post. First try, might not work.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by badgerprints]

Nope , still sticks in the middle

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

reply to post by Deson

Quote my post and you can see the appropriate tags in the square brackets.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Ahhh. The letter at the right in the first set of brackets indicates placement.
Coolie cool.
Thanks.
You get a cookie.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

That's correct.
imgr = Image right
imgl = image left

don't forget to change at the end the /atsimg to /img but keep the square brackets.

Edit to add:
I'll have to pass on the cookie. Thanks to a combination of homemade hash browns and Diet Dew, the stomach is a tad upset therfore I'm drinking some tea to mellow things out. On the good news, assuming that things are coming together, I should have a Rifle design ready this evening.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

something to think about.
Boarding parties on ships use shotguns. They don't shoot at the other guy, they shoot at the floor in front of him. Big spread that takes out their legs.

maybe your rifle doesn't need to be long because it will be used in cramped cooridors.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Well, I was figuring that the Rifle design would be more suited for Planetary surfaces, exploration partys, and long corridors, inside the hanger bay, the atrium, etc. I figure that the carbines would be best to use inside of ships. The Rifle would counterbalance the carbines accuracy problem.

The idea of a shot gun does however have appeal however for in ship combat. I figure it like this, having appropriate weapons for certain situations. The Pistols and the Carbines would excel aboard ship but have some problems on a landing party for example where range and accuracy are important. Not all combat is gonna take place aboard ship.

For ultimate corridor protection there are the Semi-Portables to really make things difficult for intruders. (chuckle)

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you, My mind has just been trying to go in several different directions at once lately.

I'm not sure when Antar will be back from vacation, but Tenth sould be back by monday at the latest, I hope, and Luder will be back around that time, too.

I think we can keep it going, and write around those events, if we post a little lighter, like when we have those unscheduled 'lulls'.

And if you and Silo take a side trip, that would be great, because then it doesn't require the presence of the MIA for you to keep us enthralled!

I, for one, can't wait to see what you two have up your sleeves, as long as it doesn't kill me or leave me zombiefied!

Of course 'up your sleeves' is just a figure of speech, especially if Silo decides to morph...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Badger done the HOMEWORK!

The NPC thing is something we all had to deal with on Penelope, since we come off as unstable enough as is, without going around talking to ourselves, too.

Plus, it gives us other characters to play off of, without having to move someone else or speak for them.

We've developed a habit of using the other writer's NPCs to play off of ourselves, too.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

reply to post by Deson

something to think about.
Boarding parties on ships use shotguns. They don't shoot at the other guy, they shoot at the floor in front of him. Big spread that takes out their legs.

maybe your rifle doesn't need to be long because it will be used in cramped cooridors.

Yep. They taught me in cop school that you can shoot at the ground UNDERNEATH a car, and take out a guy on the other side, or drop him at the ankles, depending on how he's situated.

Same for my urban combat training. we were taught that you could bounce a bullet off of a hard wall, like brick or stone, and it would fly straight down the line, parallel to the wall, and about 18" away from it.

And 'duckbill' attachments to control the size and shape of the pellet spread are da bomb!

I'm sorta goofy over that avatar, and thinking the Pene crew avs may need a revamp. You have the blank for it?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
ok,What I have here is a concept for the Rifle design (when accuracy counts). Please note that there is texture work to be done but the construction is complete enough I can point out some features.

First the Image.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f88dff3b0489.jpg[/atsimg]

Link to full sized picture

Some features:

The front grip folds thus allowing Bipeds to grip it efficiently. When deployed those with Tentacles can use it. Bipeds will however be able to shoot more accurately with it.

The scope can be detached if need be. The mount is hollow allowing anyone to use the regular iron sights (just like the pistol and the carbine).

The oval area on the stock is a seed container. How it works is that feed it sugar water and minerals and it will grow about a dozen seeds in the oval plate. Open the plate, plant the seeds and a new crop of Rifles (without the scope) will grow.

This weapon is primarily used by landing parties for extended durations. It CAN be used aboard ship but it's most effective firing down long hallways, hanger bays, etc.

The butt stock is padded to reduce any sort of recoil. You'll notice that the feed port has been moved to the area of the reaction chamber.

Later on, I'll finish up the texture work.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY! I gotta GET me one of those!

Is there anyone aboard Yydryl I can bribe? I only need one... Reproduction will take care of itself from there.

Maybe even only a couple of seeds...

I'm off to bribe the guys in hydroponics now, so I can grow a few.

Badger: Excellent post! You seem to have a bit 'o military experience under your belt. I kinda picked up on that with the 'goat roping' comment, but that post just splashes it all OVER the place. Even got the idioms and attitudes down.

And you've got that puke Abernathy right where you want him...
I bet he learns which end wags and which end bites NOW!

A DEFINITE asset to the writing team.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Now I am going to leave the ship soon, as I want to create, not leave the story but the area, so Silo, want to come with, I blowing this pop stand.

If we're leaving on the expedition you suggested before I'm all for a go.
I'd need get in a post to clear up the last scene I had in Whisper's quarters.

Let me go over a few things in the story while I wait to hear from you.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
hey guys,

I think I will be able to still be around a bit. My son will be in the hospital threw the weekend, and I need something to take my mind of off things.

Writing in the opera seems perfect. I will check periodically. I've already introduced me and Cim to each other.

Cim, the ball is in your court. Lead me into something, given the circumstances you can move me to get things going.

Here's the rundown of what I look like

Watchers Bio-Mech Exoskeleton

- From the Confederate Archives

No one truly knows what the materials are that comprise the suit. It can be form factored at will by the usage of nano cells which are linked and act according to directions from the central nervous system.

It also is linked to the nano-cyber processing units implanted within the brain to increase conscious input analysis from ten percent, to recorded maximums of of eighty-five percent.

It has been rumored that upon Ascension, the usage of Watchers can increase conscious reality manipulation and analysis to increase past the 100% mark.

The only current known and active user of a Watcher, Adilaris, has kept a consistent appearance in the public for as long as anyone can remember. His cynical nature pulled him towards a darker, imposing looking appearance.

His record indicates he stands 6"1, estimated weight 220lbs. In favoring close, hand to hand combat, knives are his specialty. His clothing is similar to that of an assassin's. Multiple niches and slits conceal up to 50 different blades of all shapes and sizes.

Most beings have never seen the lower have of his face, due to the high rising cloth that circles above his cloak. However, they can never forget those eyes. A deep blue with hints of yellow and orange. Pale skin gives them a sort of luminescent glow. Some have sworn to have seen images of entire solar systems and galaxies when locking eyes in close quarters.

-End of log...

new topics

top topics

<< 104  105  106    108  109  110 >>

join