It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 100
<< 97  98  99    101  102  103 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
reply to post by silo13

Antar posted on the actual thread just within the last 48 hours. I don't see that as MIA
I'd give her some time and if you don't hear back shoot her another U2U.

I didn't post about Scurvy at all. The rules state I can't 'move' a character unless they are walking along with me. Also, I was writing my post as CM posted hers. I have zero interest in getting into FUBARness I did like last 'holiday' weekend. I left it all pretty open ended for you and Studious except for major activites.

I like the idea but, I'd like to give it a small time window of having all members respond to it and not blindside anyone including Scurvy. I think the actual opera thread will allow for this as well. This just came up within the last 24 hours so I'd like to suggest at least a 48 hour window or so. Fair enough?

That said, I see nothing wrong at all with CM responding to the Penny

If Masqua wants he can delete the post. I really don't care.
Not mad at anyone so don't worry just saying. I was just trying to help.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Hey all, just wanted to let you know.

In about two days I am going to be out of the loop for 10 days without internet access due to some stuff we have to go do.

I will have no way to post for that duration.

Since Studious is currently interred on the Yydryl and Seeker is semi-MIA, I'm going to leave the Penelope in the hands of Nenothtu until I return. I'm sure you guys won't have too much issues.

I'll be around for the next two days before we head out though, so don't toss me out an airlock just yet.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

What's wrong with it?
It's great!

EDIT: Didn't see that part - thought he was already where you said he was...

[edit on 29-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I broke the rules of the Opera by moving a character without their permission.

Luder, Neno is a good choice to fillin. wink wink at Neno

[edit on 28-5-2009 by cindymars]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I didn't want to ruffle Slayer's feathers, but I need him in the engine room in case you crazies over there on your life-ship decide to attack the Penelope with your moon-wasting cannon of utter doom.... LOL.

Anyhoo - I hope he's around, I haven't seen him post in a few days. Heard from him through U2U/Email, but not on here.

Oh neno.................... Where are you!?!???

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I was typing up my next Story Thread post and accidentally stayed logged in. It probably says I've been logged in for hours. That's why I haven't been responding.

Originally posted by mf_luder
Hey all, just wanted to let you know.

In about two days I am going to be out of the loop for 10 days without internet access due to some stuff we have to go do.

Yes things do look serious where you are right now. (If you are, at the moment, where I think you are.)

Unrelated:
I've typed it all up already but I'm going to refrain from posting it until I get approval. (Plus it's really long and might need some cutting down.)

I won't post the whole thing here rather I'll give everyone the basic synopsis of it and see if anyone objects to it.

Synopsis...

Studious sees and thinks about Whisper's actions.

The team is led off to the brig.

Some tricky Macgyver techniques follow and voila a big fire.

The point is to force the Yydryl crew to open the door. The team does this because they have lost all their gear and can't find anything conventional to open it with.

(I'm probably going to get my *ehem* kicked when the Yydryl crew opens that door.
)

[edit on 28-5-2009 by Studious]

[edit on 28-5-2009 by Studious]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder
Since Studious is currently interred on the Yydryl and Seeker is semi-MIA, I'm going to leave the Penelope in the hands of Nenothtu until I return. I'm sure you guys won't have too much issues.

Yaaay! I get to keep my finger on the big red button!

Looks like i need to break a coma now... working on that.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Here's the idea I had Deson:

Also, I had an idea but would like to leave it for Deson. Mostly because I feel like with all his work he could use some stars and flags he should start the thread. I'd like to see a thead called something like "Yydryl: A ship companion" Around my house, we have several books on Star Wars and Star Trek of the actual ships and specs of those ships. Not that we have to get that technical but, I think having a general outline or map would be good as well as each member of the Yydryl can post any pictures they have. Remember how much trouble we all had locating The Swamp? LOL I think I've only ever mentioned that crew quarters were on deck 6. Other then that, I don't think there's anything in writing about where anything is - we could all contribute to the overall layout of the ship design.

As far as the warp core, these are usually in the center of the ship so we could do one of two things - silo if you were to build a temple in the center of the jungle, engineering and the warp core could be housed in there or we could just put the warp core some where else on the ship. Again, these are just brainstorming ideas.

But, Deson if you'd like to start this thread - I'd like you to have the accolades that come with - not saying you have to do all the work. And not that all things have to come with a picture either. We can make descriptions of our quarters - anything and everything. Deson you could repost the pics you already have of the elevators and such. Whatcha guys think?

I'll be very brief since it's very late right now. Yes, I'll give the idea some thought as far as the thread goes. The more I think of it, yes indeed a ship's companion might be in order. Give me a couple of days to collate things and then I'll post it.

oh and a brief thought. Due to the warp drives essentially making a field around the ship, typically Warp type drives are located on the outside of the ship otherwise it makes it more difficult to balance the field of the drive if the hull of the ship is in the way.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Thanks for letting us know!

Hope you have a good time whatever you’re doing... We’ll have fun with your character while you’re gone...

*wink*

Take Care!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Ok guys I have some bad news. I'm dropping out.

My time for writing was always at work during the day as it was slow enough that I could. As it is we're seeing 150% more volume than last year and I simply do not have the time to get on here, let alone contribute a post. I'll be this busy all summer and my nights are my time, I spend it out in nature or with friends, not on the computer. I'm very sorry to all I just can't keep up and at the pace you guys are moving this at I barely have time to read all the posts.

If there's anything you guys want me to tie up please let me know via a U2U and I'll include it in my final post.

Again very sorry... I'm just too overwhelmed and I feel as though I'm holding up the show and pissing a lot of you off in the process, whether you'll admit it or not.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Scurvy

You're not pissing me off...

I'm so sorry to see you go Scurvy - You'll be missed on the Yydryl for sure. How you leaving? As in *forever* or might you come back again?

What if the posting pace was slowed way down, would you reconsider?

[edit on 29-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Scurvy

Originally posted by Scurvy
Ok guys I have some bad news. I'm dropping out.

Bad news indeed, but I understand and respect your reasons for departing.
(Plus it's good to hear business is booming in this economy.)

Originally posted by Scurvy
Again very sorry... I'm just too overwhelmed and I feel as though I'm holding up the show and pissing a lot of you off in the process, whether you'll admit it or not.

For the record, I wasn't mad at all. Stuff happens, I understand inability to post.

Hmm.... What will Whisper and Scurvy's goodbye scene look like. Or will the mysterious "Disappearing Captain Phenomenon" strike again.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Studious]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Scurvy

Well you will certainly be missed a great deal.
But it is understandable.
Hugs!

Edited to add: Like Studious said it is good to hear something in industry is booming.

Wow we really have a weird Captain thing going on here.
Who wants to be the next Captain?

[edit on 29-5-2009 by cindymars]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada, we're the only place in Canada to show any growth... our province's economy grew 1.6% overall for the first quarter. Don't ask me how, our biggest city is like 300K people lol.

Thanks guys, I've LOVED writing the opera and in the fall if you guys are still kicking it I'll definitely be back. You guys have all been awesome to work with. It's given me a great creative outlet and for that I want to thank each and every one of you. On the plus side... you'll always have one reader
I'll be keeping up.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
So you know, I've started a thread on a sort of guide to the Yydryl. Feel free to add things in and if I have something wrong feel free to let me know. To the best of my knowlege no definitive crew numbers, marines, attack fighters, etc have been established. If it has somewhere please let me know. If not then I may end up basing some of the numbers using the Penelope as a basis to work with.

Please let me know. In the meantime, I'll keep adding to the post as much as I can. Perhaps after a general overview, I'll concentrate on specifics systems (The elevators, monorail systems, hand held weaponry etc.)

Edit to add:

ok, been doing some thinking. Has it ever been decided exactly what type of Star Drive the Yydryl uses? I noticed in one post something about (I was quickly scanning the thread) the Yydryl entering another dimension as far as it's travel. If there has already been proposed a specific type of Star Drive then please ignore this idea.

A number of years for a SF Novel that didn't even get off the launchpad I designed a star drive for an starship. The humans would call it a Strider drive due to it at one point resembling a Water Strider. A insect that walks on the surface tension of water without sinking. Now I know that this drive concept isn't fully Scientifically accurate but I think it's got enough to give it a shot depending on what you people think.

The Strider drive and how it works:

1) 4 turrets on the underside of the ship swivel and fire a beam of some sort. The beams intersect with each other and a interference pattern is created. The beams could be something pseudo scientific like Modulated Tachyon Particles setup at a precise frequency of some such.

2) The Interference pattern rips a small "hole" in our space. Leading to a "Hyper-spacial sinkhole"

3) The turrets slowly swivel making the hole larger until it's a little larger than the ship.

4) The ship then enters the "Hyper-Spacial sinkhole" submerging like a submarine. Thus exiting our space and entering Hyperspace.

5) The turrets shut off and the hole closes. The ship has left our 3d space and entered hyperspace.

6) Using the engines on the side of the ship, it travels via hyperspace until it reaches it's target area and reverses the process popping out into our space.

7) Travel time is diminished massively.

Now assuming that you people go for such a drive there are some things to be aware of.

1) Due to warpiture of space from anything with a grav pull of larger than 1/4 of Earth Gravity you can't come out in orbit in normal circumstances. You need to come out further out. The larger the pull the farther out you have to come out.

2) Likewise as you travel you want to stay away from masses like that as they will at LEAST throw your navigation off.

3) In a total emergency and if the crew were bat guano crazy a desperation maneuver like appearing suddenly in Earth orbit might be tried but it would be highly risky, probably result in the destruction of the ship, or at the very least massive damage would occur.

4) You would need precise scanners and navigation to avoid popping out in the same space as another ship.

5) Scanner distance is severely curtailed while in flight.

6) Since the ship is in another dimension it can't be hit with normal weapons. And is EXTREMELY difficult to detect. High energy blasts or explosions pretty much on top of the vessel itself can and would cause it to come out of Hyperspace whether the ship wants to or not doing damage to the drive system in the process.

7) as a rough guesstimate of how far out you have to come out figure about 2 planetary diameters for a safe re-entry into normal space.

8) Note that while masses of less than 1/4 of a Earth Gravity won't stop the drive it is still possible to run into the moon for example. Not good.

9) While "submerged" the ship would appear like a very ghostly and difficult to see vessel. That if you can find it.

10) Total time from standstill to entering hyperspace is roughly 10 seconds or so.

11) Navigation while "Submerged" is by a combination of sensors for close up things and dead reckoning. A skilled Navigator can do this without computer assistance but it's very difficult.

Well, what do you think?

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Deson]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Alrighty all, I'm back from my pseudo-absence and oh my god it feels good to not have to wait for a page to load. I could seriously go make coffee and come back to find it half done loading...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Scurvy

Good luck to you friend Scurvy.

It has definitely been a fun ride.

I certainly hope this story is still going by the fall too. That would be interesting to see. Especially on the off-chance we ever get any more writers involved.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
About my most recent post.

Though Studious says "Oh come on!" about being in the brig I'm loving it.

I've got a MacGyver style escape idea. The post only sets up them talking about trying to escape.

This way if anyone objects to it just let me know and the plot can be foiled without any edits.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Who wants to be the next Captain?

Cindy - what do you think of the idea that the crew takes over being *Captains* and use Ships *voice* in decision making (after we hash things out here in the working thread)?

With the bad luck the Yydryl is having with Captains maybe it's time to make Ship the Captain. (see Explanation please)

She can be a working (live) vessel that makes her decisions by collective input from the whole crew.

All of the crew can collaborate on what Ship *says* or *does* next - take turns acting as *Ships Voice*???

Example: (I hope this makes sense)...

Since Whisper is *head* of last posting section (Security Officer in a invasion scene) Whisper would incorporate Ships response into her post.

If the a health issue rocks the Ship - Antar would *voice* for Ship. (It would make sense Antar voices next for Ship as there are people in sickbay and she’s going to need to *heal* Ship).

Cindymars - In an instance when there are visitors aboard or the crew is taking R&R.(I would think then Cindymars turn to incorporate Ships voice in her post as we were all headed to a combined *dinner* between the two crews when the dust of battle settles).

Attendant to Ship? Only in doing business pertaining to the needs of Ship - like taking on or heading for supplies, etc.

The Whales - for navigation purposes - whoever wants to step up and take the post for the Whales *voice*.

Why can't we be a crew with no Captain, looking for our Captain (we all started out looking for Cadbury right)?

And after loosing all the other Captains it would make sense? Go without a Captain, use Ships *voice* as acting Captain and have input from all of us concerning the direction we take to move forward?

If you don't like that idea what about this.

Let's ask Scurvy if we can keep him alive.

Not make any earth shattering (no pun intended) moves with him, but keep him *alive* and working in the thread.

Like you did in your last post?

Telling the readers the "Captain is on deck doing thus and so"???

Do what you did in telling the readers what the Captain is doing?

Let's ask Scurvy - unless you want us to do it ourselves?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I do not recall a u2u but no bother, I did CRACK UP at your on spot decission to make us all the captain until someone else steps in to fill the position. That was brilliant and very funny.

I am here, really getting ready to go off on an adventure for about 2 weeks though in a few days.

If I dont get backasap, then place me at the hull reparing ship. Then I am off to the officers level lounge to work on the water levels of the whales.

I do want to make sure that the anestetic did not infiltrate the navigation systems. Meantime we should be getting hit with some radiation or something from the problems happening in the outer atmosphere or are we heading to find altantis to battle the dark Lord or something? it is hidden behind lush jungles right?

I dont know I am fried right now... Goodnight just wanted to wrap up the last scene and clear myself to dissapear for a bit without disrupting the crew. Love to you all!

new topics

top topics

<< 97  98  99    101  102  103 >>

join