It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration open to taxing health benefits

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Oh yes, a massive tax on middle class skilled workers, particularly those who have their healthcare because of their unions, is just what a democrat should be doing during an economic crisis.

Obama should run away from healthcare screaming and not look at it again until his second term. I really think he's flirting with the one and only potential failure big enough to make a one-term president out of him. He stands to bring another Republican Revolution down on himself when the Republicans really should be on the skids for quite some time longer.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
This makes all of you irate? How about this one:

Senators slam plan for wounded vets to use private insurance.

Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance.

I'm guessing that they'd still be covered by the government if they didn't have private insurance, but its still disgusting that they're even mentioning it, quite frankly. It would force them to pay for their injuries through insurance premiums, which, of course, would skyrocket if this idea were ever to become law.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
I just love being right!
Strange how the all of the Obamatrons have virtually disappeared from this site. There used to be a day, about 6 weeks ago, that you couldn't criticize "The One" without a virtual torrent of defenders coming to his aid - deriding those of us with intelligence as "racists, bigots and haters."

Basically the only thing that you can take to the bank regarding Barry is that if his lips are moving, he's lying!

Yea the Obama defense team has been getting quiter the last few weeks.

They bashed Bush for 8 years and once their guy starts screwing up the majority shuts up or goes to threads that bash Rush or Beck. I guess they find its easier to be on the attack rather then on defense.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37 So I ask you - what difference will it make if we do complain?

Well, it sure as hell won't make any difference if you don't!

You guys cannot contact your government and tell them that you don't like what they are doing in your name?

You can't sit on your hands and them complain about how it's all going wrong...you know, "better to light one candle..." and all that.

Of course...the way of the pajamahadeen is simpler.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
i]reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I'm really having a hard time understanding your questions.

And I still don't understand what they have to do with Obama taxing
health benefits. It's him driving the train.

Please rephrase. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Oh..I guess we can add this to the Cap and Trade program...which will result in taxes to all of us.

So much for that 13 dollars a week right guys?

You know...Obama is nothing but a damn liar....just like the President before him.

He always says one thing..then does another.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
i]reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I'm really having a hard time understanding your questions.

And I still don't understand what they have to do with Obama taxing
health benefits. It's him driving the train.

Here...you got a beef with the government, you let them know. If enough people share that beef, the government has to take it into account or they get their butts tossed next election. 'Course right now, we could do a 'vote of non-confidence' and toss them anyway if need be.

My question is simple...can one not influence Congress to get the President to do the will of the people? President is just the point man, right?

Like, one can actually complain about policy and have their voices heard?

And if so...why aren't more people doing it rather than mewling on-line?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Am I the only one who actually read the whole article?

It's a hit piece with the truth in the details...

...you do realize that most Democrats are against this and Obama has said he won't propose taxing healthcare benefits?

What Obama has done, true to his word, is say bring any and all ideas from either side of the aisle. Since this idea was birthed by Republicans he has been careful not to slap it down out of hand.

From the OPs article

Now that Mr. Obama has begun the health debate, several advisers say that while he will not propose changing the tax-free status of employee health benefits, neither will he oppose it if Congress does so.

Republicans, like Mr. McCain and former President George W. Bush before him, tend to favor taxing the benefits to finance other incentives for people to buy their own insurance. But given Mr. Obama’s use of the issue in his campaign, Republicans are unlikely to support a change unless the president himself proposes it, a senior adviser to Senate Republicans said.

Many Democrats, especially House liberals, , are opposed..

SO...Obama has not and will not propose taxing health care benefits, and while GW and McCain did propose it, now the Republicans won't support it unless Obama proposes it? and he has already said he won't and the democrats are against it?

Dr. Christina Romer, chairwoman of the White House Council of Economic Advisors discussing Obama's position on taxing Healthcare Benefits
www.politico.com...

"He is still opposed to it," Romer said during an appearance on NBC's "Meet the Press." "He certainly was very critical and very skeptical of it [during the campaign]. It is certainly not in our [budget] proposal. We have proposed other ways to deal with health care and to fund it. So it is not something he supports."

But go ahead and have at it and keep on with the whole Obama wants to tax health care benefits thing. I expect nothing less from the spin crew here.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by maybereal11]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join