It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOX News - UFO Biased reporting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Nice video on biased reporting on UFO's

This video is not about whether or not UFOs exist, it is about how the media portrays them. FOX is an example of flat out biased media, with UFOs being one example. FOX manages to mock and trivialize a phenomenon that, if proven to be true, would change mankind forever

What do you think??

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by nosmokinggun

Fact is, this is is how they want the public to feel in order to continue keeping their secret, well just that a secret. The MSM controls millions and millions of people's minds and they count on those numbers to remain in control. Of course their going to "downplay" and attack the witnesses and their story's and they'll continue to do so until their controllers tell them to do otherwise.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
To try and claim that we, humans, are the only intelligent life forms in this infinitely sized universe is not only close minded but plain absurd. There are A LOT of things on this planet and beyond that do not have explanations (AT THE MOMENT), but that does not give anybody the right to label well credited people as"crazies".

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by lastmanstanding
To try and claim that we, humans, are the only intelligent life forms in this infinitely sized universe is not only close minded but plain absurd. There are A LOT of things on this planet and beyond that do not have explanations (AT THE MOMENT), but that does not give anybody the right to label well credited people as"crazies".

Your right, but in their view the more the MSM does it the more believers will be looked at that way by the rest of the public.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Fox Network does undermine the possibility of ET UFOs. Witnesses are usually cherry-picked for the way they'll look on TV and it's then left to the audience to prejudge their credibility. Mockery is used and the term 'believer' has long been as pejorative as 'skeptic' is on ATS. It's really not worth taking too seriously. Murdoch's Sun newspaper has followed a similar path last year in the UK. Endless camera phone sightings of lanterns and Venus...

Despite being a skeptic, I'm fairly certain that ET or ID life has visited Earth, nevertheless a lot of 'believers' are undeniably a poor reflection on Ufology. The subject is rife with charlatans, liars and book peddlars. Of the genuine fans, many are so enthusiastic to see a UFO that they fall prone to misidentification and confirmation bias. Many more can be suspected of self-delusion or simply lying a la 'skunk works.' Some threads on ATS can hit 20 flags in a minute and be wholly based on a misinterpretation.

In amidst all the chaos of Ufology is a hardcore of focused men and women that are leading the way forward. Identify them and the shenanigans of MSM become redundant.

Edit= Whoops forgot to add the link to NICAP. Some of the information on this site would prove difficult to for Fox Network to laugh at

[edit on 15-3-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Thanks for your posts so far!!

I thought I would take a look at the BBC to see if they followed a similar track and actually they don't the reports I looked at on youtube were quite fair.

As the BBC is uniquely funded by taking money from the British people by law they have to be seen to be impartial otherwise there would be a lot of people up in arms.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
First, I think singling Fox out is probably unfair, CBS, CNN, NBC, ABC all save UFO reports for "silly season" and are mocking when they do present them. I have noticed local news reports usually treat the subject more fairly. Last though, have you ever been to a UFO convention? I've been to several and most of the people at them are just begging to be mocked. You'll find a few people there just out of curiosity but the majority are full fledged, completely around the bend, raging "woo woos". I can't tell you how many times I listened to some middle aged overweigt neurotic housewife breathlessly describe her own "abduction" experiences. I had a very pretty young woman describe how she watched small glowing blue aliens walk around the edges of the room at a lecture we both just attended. She couldn't believe I didn't see them too. Then her husband showed up and told me about his revolutionary new concept of physics that was going to allow FTL travel, time travel, free energy, and transporters. I told him that was cool but I probably wouldn't understand the math. He said he didn't know any math either, quit school in the 8th grade in fact, but he was working this all out in his head. I decided reality was calling and left them to their UFO watching. I'm certain they saw UFOs before morning.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Great video. S & F. I have ZERO respect for news media. I think it would be a good idea to collect some of the worst examples of this kind of 'reporting' and keep them in a devoted thread here, as evidence of their bias and obvious agenda.

HERE is a another example I posted a few months ago. The video has since been removed from youtube but I copied out what the 'reporter' actually said. It was a video about the release of some of the UK Gov's 'UFO Files' but which ended with the reporters comments that I mention. I initially thought these people were just morons, but unfortunately, I doubt it's actually that simple.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This video demonstrates more the editor's own bias and closed-mindedness than it does that of Fox News. He uses very selective-editing, defends known hoaxers and is offended by the mere inclusion of skeptics. Let's look at it bit-by-bit, shall we?

The first clip is with Jeff Peckman. If there is anyone in the UFO field deserving of mockery and derision, it's Peckman. Considering how ill-regarded Peckman is in the UFO community, one cannot blame Smith if he presented some bias in the interview.

The second clip is from Heartland with John Kasich, a political commentary show. The host giving his opinion on an opinion show should not surprise anyone, and can hardly be taken as an example of biased reporting.

The third clip is supposed to be an example of Fox interviewers, as the title-card put it, "interrupting them, preventing them from getting their point across." However, the clip is so short to tell why the speaker was being interrupted; it could be that the segment was ending, or the host was trying to move on to another speaker. Such things are common in cable news reporting, no matter the subject. And the clip is from Heartland; again, no one should be surprised an opinion show forwards an opinion.

The fourth clip is Peckman, again. See above. If this is supposed to be an example of the host interrupting so someone cannot make a point, it is a poor one; the host interrupts to ask a question. Peckman: "it's under agreement..." Smith: "Agreement with who..." Peckman: "...it make a documentary..."

The fifth clip, again from Heartland. All Kasich says is "okay" and "alright," before moving on to the next speaker.

Sixth clip, Peckman. "Friday fun house" is an accurate description of Peckman's antics. The fact this video takes him seriously, attempting to make him a martyr of media bias, speaks volumes about the editor's own judgment and bias.

In a segment that is supposed to show Fox "blatantly siding with skeptics," clips seven and eight are just skeptics speaking; it seems to the editor allowing skeptics to speak at all is an example of bias.

Clip nine is again from the Heartland show. The host says, "Good point, good point" to Bill Nye. However, we have no idea what he was saying good point to.

Clip ten is a variety of UFO videos, the first being a hoax from Mexico City, with the host mentioning the official explanation. However, the clip is so short we do not know what else she discussed. Much like the above example with the skeptics, to the editor, any mention of an explanation outside of alien craft is an example of bias.

Clip eleven is Stan Romanek, Jeff Peckman's cohort in the Denver alien video. Romanek is every bit as deserving of mockery and derision as Peckman. And again, the editor shows very poor judgment in who he tries to make a martyr.

Clip twelve is another skeptic and another example of how the editor thinks allowing a skeptic on is biased and unfair.

In what is supposed to be an example of a "mocking or...facetious" question, the host asks a what amounts to a "signal from noise" question, in clip fourteen. I suppose asking any question of a believer is bias.

Romanek again in clip fifteen (and mentioned in thirteen). This is ridiculous...

Fun at Romanek's expense in clip sixteen. Yes, they are mocking him and Peckman in this clips, but they are deserving of the mockery.

In clip seventeen, is what is supposed to be an example of a "mocking of...facetious" question, the host asks Peckman a very serious question, "Why aren't we allowed to see the video?" Again, to the editor, any questioning of believers is unfair and biased...

Clip eighteen...related to Peckman, again. See above...

Clip nineteen is a skeptic speaking. How dare Fox allow them on!

Clip twenty is not from Fox News, but a Fox affiliate. Clip twenty-one is just Bill Nye saying "could be military." In both cases, the editor accuses Fox News of just making up an explanation, when indeed some UFO sightings are of military craft. I find the use of the word "unproven" rather funny, considering the editor's own beliefs...

Next are a variety of clips of what the editor claims is Fox showing crazy witnesses to invalidate the UFO community as a whole. However, the clips are far too short to say whether this is what is happening or not.

Then the editor defends Romanek and Peckman, attacking Fox for putting quotations around "space alien" and "ET," in relation to their video of a supposed alien. In fact, Fox was right to do this, as even most in the UFO community consider this to be a hoax. In the same segment, the editor attacks Fox for stating the facts; most UFO sightings can be explained, only the most closed-minded believer will not acknowledge this.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram
I think it would be a good idea to collect some of the worst examples of this kind of 'reporting' and keep them in a devoted thread here, as evidence of their bias and obvious agenda.

Sounds like a very good idea, would also be a good use of time to see how the media from all over the world reports on the UFO Phenomena.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wasco
Last though, have you ever been to a UFO convention?

Not yet but I am looking at going to one in Watford, UK in May so will get back to you on that with observations.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Very detailed post SaviorComplex!! I can see how if you are not aware of who is in the video it can be very compelling evidence.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
When FOX is mocking a controversial issue, chances are it is true. The formula is simple - if you believe the opposite of what MSM is saying on any given issue, you will be correct 95% of the time.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Forget about Peckman and Romanek. When Fox News brought on Nick Pope of the UK's MoD, they were reacting to his statements in a seemingly biased attitude, and he was being completely polite and not selling or advocating any hoaxes, certainly not a charlatan. It's not so much that the MSM are biased.. it's that they rarely focus on this very interesting subject, and even the few times this is every brought up, they always treat it with a tone of un-seriousness. As Michio Kaku says; that if even one of these UFO cases is proven to be genuine in the ET-Hypothesis or otherwise intelligent beings other than human(perhaps ID), then it would be the greatest discovery in history, you simply cannot rule out or discount such a strong possibility. The evidence is overwhelming, the subject is of interest to millions in this world, why not give the topic the credit and coverage it deserves?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
the fact of endless reporting on "caylee" and the "octomom" and the dismissive and short-lived reporting on UFO's logically implies cover-up.
to not see this as such, is a lack of critical thinking skills.
when the government wants this to come out, they will release it. until then, they will not be challanged by any investigative major news media...period.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by jimmyx]

[edit on 15-3-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

You prove exactly one of the points the video is trying to make. That the Media loves to interview the jokers and the laughing stock of the UFO community.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DesmoSedici
You prove exactly one of the points the video is trying to make. That the Media loves to interview the jokers and the laughing stock of the UFO community.

From hours and hours of video, most of his argument centers around the treatment of Romanek and Peckman. The rest is the product of selective-editing to make his case.

One can hardly condemn Fox News for interviewing people like Peckman or Romanek, when the UFO community itself promotes charlatans and lunatics on a daily basis. However instead of mocking them and exposing them as the laughing stocks they are, many within the UFO community celebrate them.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majorion
When Fox News brought on Nick Pope of the UK's MoD, they were reacting to his statements in a seemingly biased attitude...

On the contrary, the hosts treated him with interest and respect, though being incredulous over one statement on the part of Pope.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex
On the contrary, the hosts treated him with interest and respect, though being incredulous over one statement on the part of Pope.

If you call respect; giving someone barely five minutes to speak, then go on to nit-pick over certain controversial wording, then you seem to be alright with this treatment. I need not look at the video again, as I recall, Nick describes some actual UFO encounters as dog-fights. Do we really need to get into yet other repeated debate over this Savior?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nosmokinggun

First of all, Stan Romanek does not do the UFO research community any favors by not showing his video. The interviewer was doing his job and asking why he does not show the video while making the claim.

The video basically shows clips from our morning breakfast shows. They are entertainment programs, with maybe a little weather and top stories thrown in. They are not hard news, and should not be taken as such.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join