It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart looks to Hispanic market

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

They are very on top of it here actually -
There are likely very few restaurants that are not compliant with the law.
They get checked and they get turned in. And the employers have become paranoid.

Most of the legals do not speak fluent English.
It isn't the illegal population.
It's the legal Hispanic population.

It's not the same in the building industry - (like your fathers)
but most of that has stopped due to unemployment -
We are in fact losing Hispanics at the moment due to unemployment.

Like I said - we are looking at 2nd and 3rd generation.
I know. I've spoken with them and worked with them.
They are not newbies. They live here and they are legal here.
They are here to stay.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Originally posted by kazike

Originally posted by Common Good
So why Put up special Wal-Mart stores just for spanish speaking only? www.ft.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Where in the article that you posted is stated that the store is for Spanish speaking only?

Quote: "The staff will also be bilingual."
As far as I know bilingual staff means both English and Spanish speaking, and thats a big difference to Spanish only...

OH so it being bilingual means its okay.

You are missing my point, when someone is starting a thread here the least that I expect is to stay true to the info/evidence that is being posted, not to try to change the content to fit their point of views.

Round them up and lead them to slaughter. I hope that is what they are planning.

I hope not

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kazike

The bi-lingual issue is a real issue for English speaking people.
I'm not talking in regards to Wallmart -

On a general note -

The problem in America at this time - is if there is a job available -
and a Hispanic is not a fluent English speaker (but can speak enough to sort of get by) - they will get the job -

But if an English speaking person isn't bi-lingual - they will not.

Because the Hispanic population is so high - this situation serves businesses best.
And many of the business are now run by Hispanics.

It's an English speaking country - so certainly people can understand how
frustrating this is for people from this country. When your own language becomes redundant - it changes the culture of the country.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by kazike

I hope to God they round them all up and send them packing. It would be a differant story if they were legal American citizens. They have rights that must be followed.

Illegals have no rights at all. I would not feel bad at all if they get rounded up and forced to walk back across the desert into Mexico like an old fashioned cattle drive.

Putting them on a bus and shipping them back is a waste of good gasoline.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
reply to post by jd140

They are very on top of it here actually -
There are likely very few restaurants that are not compliant with the law.
They get checked and they get turned in. And the employers have become paranoid.

Most of the legals do not speak fluent English.
It isn't the illegal population.
It's the legal Hispanic population.

It's not the same in the building industry - (like your fathers)
but most of that has stopped due to unemployment -
We are in fact losing Hispanics at the moment due to unemployment.

Like I said - we are looking at 2nd and 3rd generation.
I know. I've spoken with them and worked with them.
They are not newbies. They live here and they are legal here.
They are here to stay.

If they are here legally and are trying to learn the language then help them learn. Its the ones who aren't trying that I am talking about. If they aren't trying then make life for them hell. Make them wish they were back in Mexico.

Report them over and over again until they make the effort. Do not make it easy on them. Force them to learn english.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
reply to post by kazike

Because the Hispanic population is so high - this situation serves businesses best.
And many of the business are now run by Hispanics.

It's an English speaking country - so certainly people can understand how
frustrating this is for people from this country. When your own language becomes redundant - it changes the culture of the country.

I agree with that. And if you look at the amount of businesses that will be owned and operated by Chinese people in the coming years because of all the current economic problems it could be worse, is a potential flood of Chinese workers with working visas, learning Spanish is piece of cake compared to learning Chinese I believe...

[edit on 16-3-2009 by kazike]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   

We are trying to get rid of Illegal Immigration esp the illegal Immigration comming from Mexico, cause thats where the majority of the illegals come from. So why Put up special Wal-Mart stores just for spanish speaking only? Am I wrong for finding this move Un-American?

www.ft.com

I don't see what is so bad in this. Really. They are catering to customers depending on the areas where they have stores. It is not Wal-mart's problem if it attracts illegal immigrants, that is the government's problem.
Look for example at the Hialeah area in Miami. Lots of cuban-ized stores in the area. Little Italy? Tons of Italian products. Chinatown? Well...you get the idea.
I honestly do not see anything wrong with it.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I agree with that. And if you look at the amount of businesses that will be owned and operated by Chinese people in the coming years because all the current economic problems it could be worse, is a potential flood of Chinese workers with working visas, learning Spanish is peace of cake compared to learning Chinese I believe...

Aha - good point! China does own us after all.
The world is a melting pot - and no one is immune -
so I suggest we all try to work together...

[edit on 16-3-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kazike

I find the Asian population (from my expireance only) are eager to learn english. How many Asian buisnesses have you been to where they don't speak english? Espeacially 2nd or 3rd generation Asian families and buisnesses.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by haika

We are trying to get rid of Illegal Immigration esp the illegal Immigration comming from Mexico, cause thats where the majority of the illegals come from. So why Put up special Wal-Mart stores just for spanish speaking only? Am I wrong for finding this move Un-American?

www.ft.com

I don't see what is so bad in this. Really. They are catering to customers depending on the areas where they have stores. It is not Wal-mart's problem if it attracts illegal immigrants, that is the government's problem.
Look for example at the Hialeah area in Miami. Lots of cuban-ized stores in the area. Little Italy? Tons of Italian products. Chinatown? Well...you get the idea.
I honestly do not see anything wrong with it.

It is a problem because they know that it will cater to the Illegal population. Your saying this is okay because some have accepted other problem areas as okay.

None of those places you listed is okay for us to accept. I want Immigration to round up ALL illegals. Raid every last one of them. If they do not come here legally and learn english then round them up and make it to where they do not want to come back here illegally.

I will go one step further. If someone comes here illegally then they do not get the chance to come back here as a legal citizen.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Nothing wrong with the enforcing of migration laws, if you feel the need to cooperate with that proactively go ahead, really, but just want to point a collateral effect and put it on the discussion table, if all illegal work is eliminated and those jobs will then be given to citizens then you should expect to pay higher prices in virtually all goods and services, because no citizen will work for the same wages and lack of benefits than those illegals, and at this moment most people is not willing to pay more money at all for anything...

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

It is a problem because they know that it will cater to the Illegal population. Your saying this is okay because some have accepted other problem areas as okay.

So basically what you are saying is that every store that caters to Hispanics is really trying to draw in illegals?

As stated in previous posts, walMart isn't the only one doing this. What these companies are trying to do is to shut down the small businesses who up to this point have taken care of the Hispanics needs and have made a good living doing so. Now the big boys are looking for a piece of the pie..

Why do you insist on making this thread about illegals? And since when is talking English mandatory?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by leisuredrummer

All of you who don't live in the south, you don't realize how great it is to not have illegals stealing jobs, running up to your car everytime you drive into the parking lot of a Home Depot, or have them run you off the road due to the fact that they have no drivers license or idea of how to drive in America.

As I said before, it is the government's duty to take care (meaning, see what to do with the problem of illegals taking jobs of legal residents and citizens, and plain simply, the problem of them entering the USA). There should be more pressure from people to make the gov. take action, otherwise, the situation will not change.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kazike

At this point a citizen will work wherever they can get a job. I will not okay illegals working here because it keeps the price of my milk down. There are plenty of people who are unemployed who would love to have the job an illegal has.

We give them a chance to come here legally already, we cannot compromise any further.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

[
OH so it being bilingual means its okay.

How about the problem is that it has to be bilingual. How about they are opening these stores because of the non english speaking population that is out there in an english speaking country.

How about we have immigration raid these stores and see what percentage that is shopping and work there are legal.

Round them up and lead them to slaughter. I hope that is what they are planning.

Ever gone to absolutely ANY mall/shopping center/restaurant/store in South Florida? They're all bi-lingual, catering to the mostly South/Central American residents that have flocked to that area of the country and also to the thousands of Spanish-speaking tourists that go there every year legally, from Mexico all the way down to Argentina and Chile. I used to like in Boca Raton, and there were a lot of areas in South Florida where basically only Spanish is spoken. And it is not barely a Mexican immigrant area: mostly Venezuelans, Colombians, people from El Salvador, Honduras, and a fairly large community of Brazilians who spoke only Portuguese in their neighborhoods, barely a word of English was spoken there as well.
Funny thing was that almost nobody seemed to mind.
Boca Raton was different though, mostly New York Jewish retirees.
Boring as hell!

I can't believe you would say that. It is totally inhumane.

[edit on 3/16/2009 by haika]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by jd140

So basically what you are saying is that every store that caters to Hispanics is really trying to draw in illegals?

As stated in previous posts, walMart isn't the only one doing this. What these companies are trying to do is to shut down the small businesses who up to this point have taken care of the Hispanics needs and have made a good living doing so. Now the big boys are looking for a piece of the pie..

Why do you insist on making this thread about illegals? And since when is talking English mandatory?

I am against any that make it easier for the illegal poplulation to function. Always have been and always will be. I do not care what nationality it is.

This thread is about Wal Mart catering to a group of people that are huge problem as far as immigration is concerned and for them to do this is in fact catering to the illegal population and we all know it.

Our national language is English. I lived in Germany for 2 years and I went to German language classes 3 times a week for a year so that when I went to the local buisnesses I could communicate. If I did not know how to say something then I pulled out my English to German dictionary. I did not expect them to speak english because I was to lazy to learn.

I expect the same from any that comes here to live.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I agree with that. And if you look at the amount of businesses that will be owned and operated by Chinese people in the coming years because of all the current economic problems it could be worse, is a potential flood of Chinese workers with working visas, learning Spanish is piece of cake compared to learning Chinese I believe...

[edit on 16-3-2009 by kazike]

You're right! So instead of learning Spanish, a lot of business people I know are doing the smart thing and starting to learn Chinese, because they will be needing it in the future.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Why dont we just change our Country's name to Mexico why were at it

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by haika

Originally posted by leisuredrummer

All of you who don't live in the south, you don't realize how great it is to not have illegals stealing jobs, running up to your car everytime you drive into the parking lot of a Home Depot, or have them run you off the road due to the fact that they have no drivers license or idea of how to drive in America.

As I said before, it is the government's duty to take care (meaning, see what to do with the problem of illegals taking jobs of legal residents and citizens, and plain simply, the problem of them entering the USA). There should be more pressure from people to make the gov. take action, otherwise, the situation will not change.

No! We have to pressure the government to enforce these laws because they are being pressured to rewrite these laws. If the government hears only one side then they have to assume the other side does not care.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by haika

As I said in earlier posts, I am against any that make it easier for the illegal population to live here. That includes neighborhoods that do not speak english. We start to tolerate that type of thing and they will want more. As can be seen in the last year or two.

Remember the hispanic population in California marching for our rights while waving the Mexican flag?

I meant it when I said "round them up and lead them to slaughter". They are criminals and I feel no sympathy for them at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join