It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart looks to Hispanic market

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Wal-Mart looks to Hispanic market

www.ft.com

Wal-Mart plans to open its first Hispanic-focused supermarkets this summer in Arizona and Texas as the largest US retailer continues its drive to expand its dominance of the US grocery business.

The pilot stores, named Supermercado de Walmart, will open in Phoenix and Houston in remodelled 39,000 sq ft locations occupied previously by two of Wal-Mart’s Neighborhood Market stores.

The retailer said that the stores were in “strongly Hispanic neighbourhoods” and would feature a “new lay-out, signing and product assortment designed to make them even more relevant to local Hispanic customers”. The staff will also be bilingual.

Wal-Mart’s Sam’s Club warehouse store also plans to open a 143,000 sq ft Hispanic-focused store called Más Club in Houston this year.

Several leading regional US supermarket chains already operate Hispanic store brands, including Publix in Florida, which operates three Publix Sabor markets, and HEB in Texas, which opened a Mi Tienda store in Houston in 2006.

The markets include elements such as cafés serving Latino pastries and coffee, and full service meat and fish counters.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I dont know what to say about this without blowing a gasket.
So I am gunna try to keep cool. (&*%! Walmart!!!
We are trying to get rid of Illegal Immigration esp the illegal Immigration comming from Mexico, cause thats where the majority of the illegals come from. So why Put up special Wal-Mart stores just for spanish speaking only? Am I wrong for finding this move Un-American?
All of this going on during this whole mess with Mexico. Is this the right time to be dropping this on the American people?
Or do you really care? Im starting not to care anymore myself.

www.ft.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Loko at it this way.. it will most liekly attract other illegals and gang members anyways, become all graffitied up, and be amonsgt the most usanitary of plces to hang. Forgive me for soudning shrue, but every male latino, BY majority ive ever known, msotly from Guatemala, has NEVER wiped his behind after leaving the toilet, and has made a mess of the parking lot or floor where he works. Look at the brighter side of things

But yes, for walmart to do this, i am DEF ordering offline now, and from NON walmart and associated stores

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
ordering online* my bad

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Wallmart figures, a dollar's a dollar they don't care where it comes from how it was obtained or who gives it to them. They are constantly changing their product base to reflect the "needs" of the shopper. They do this same thing in China and other countries. After years of secret market research(camera's did you really think they were there to catch shoplifters?) they formulate ways in wich to make consumers feel that they "need " most of the products they sell.

So with them piloting an ethnic specific store, how long do you think they have been researching the spending habits of latino's? I reccomend you go to a wallmart store in an upper class mostly caucasian area you'll notice a big differance the second you walk into the door, you'll also see higher prices compared to those of the same product at a different location.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

If illegals are good for Wal Mart, then they are here to stay. I am waiting for the new re-designed dollars to be printed with a Walton family member on each bill and a Wal Mart coupon on the back.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
At least now they can tear up their own store, I hate tripping over stuff that 6 year old Spanish children just leave laying around. I try to yell at them and they don't even know english. It's seriously BS though, I think Wally world knows something we don't...

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
This kind of specific targeted marketing to the Hispanic communities was already well underway throughout the southwest.

I have said it before, and I will say it again...they want their territory back that was stolen from them....and they are going to use the system in various ways to accomplish that goal.

Retail is not the only arena that is saturated. Local, and state government, law enforcement, emergency services, even telecom services.

Just try calling a business down there, see which options are first on the menu.

It wont be english.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
and what is wrong with an ethnic store? The only ones making this an issue of illegals are you guys.

Why don't you google and see how many Mexican Americans live in those communities?

I think it is good that there are stores finally realizing that the Hispanic market has its own taste and are catering to them.

Smart business decision on Wal-mart behalf.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
and what is wrong with an ethnic store? The only ones making this an issue of illegals are you guys.

Why don't you google and see how many Mexican Americans live in those communities?

I think it is good that there are stores finally realizing that the Hispanic market has its own taste and are catering to them.

Smart business decision on Wal-mart behalf.

There is nothing wrong with it.

But..here is the deal...see how fast a white group opening up their own store, gets shot down before it even opens and be declared racist.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

But it that a reason to blast Mexicans. This is a Wal-Mart decision.

And they are doing to take away market share from HEB and Fiesta. Stores that are currently catering to Hispanics in Texas.

.see how fast a white group opening up their own store, gets shot down before it even opens and be declared racist.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
leisuredrummer

True that man.. Just the other week I got rammed in the side by a gang of run away 7ish year old mexican kids pushing a cart full speed down an aisle. Had a baby in a car seat in it as well and they where going nuts. Was a grocery store not a wal mart, but I wanted to find that mother and 1. Smack her in the face for breeding, and 2. pay to have her fixed.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by leisuredrummer

I hate tripping over stuff that 6 year old Spanish children just leave laying around.

and you are going to tell me that no other race has kids that do the same thing.

All kids of all colors do things like that. Hell I even see adults do it.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Mmkay jam we all apologize for not being PC enough for you.

Ah, just pulling your leg, I don't apologize.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
lol. ok kids, dont make me take your toys away and stick you in the tampon section.
2 lines.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by Common Good]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Part of the issue is that the wallyworld chains are forcing the closure of many home grown businesses, not just the grocery stores. 90 percent of the stuff walmart sells is not even made in the US. With added stores, specific to an ethnic group or not, is not helping local economies.

People think that a wallyworld store opening up in their city is good, but all that profit money does not even stay in that community, it goes to wallyworld corporate world. The only money that stays is the payroll.

Now here is another painful fact with walmart.

Count the ethnic diversity within any typical walmart store in any city or town spread out in the southwest.

You will be quite surprised to see the incredibly tilted scale, and it is not equal.

I personally dont have a problem with wal mart opening up a specific ethnic store. But it doesnt exactly send a good message to the entire nation when wal mart was supposed to be a store for the people. When they start siding with a specific ethnic group, that clearly sends a message that they are not for the whole, but for the specific.

One poster got it spot on. They will have their own store to trash up and have their own store to toss their nasty dirty diapers in their own carts and isle.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Yes "&*%! Walmart!!!" 1st they want to have Mexican children(along with many other children) make their products, and now have Mexicans buying them. &*%! Walmart!!!

Did you think this corpratation would side with you? Really?

So now lets hate anyone speaking spanish! Maybe after we build a Berlin...I mean a Mexican wall, we can put these spanish speakers in consentration camps. I'm sure that sounds great to you.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

90 percent of the stuff walmart sells is not even made in the US. With added stores, specific to an ethnic group or not, is not helping local economies.

How is it not helping communities? Does Wal-Mart not collect taxes off their sales?

Buying products to fill their store is a total separate issue and something that many major business across our nation are doing.

Now if WalMart denies any race entry into those stores, then I could see this as being a big problem.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Wall mart's a predatory business plain and simple, they do not count on profits from wealthy customers they count on middle and lower class spending habbits. They will put a store anywhere that has a large "working class" population or just on the outskirts. Will these new latino wall marts be anywhere near a carniceria, or any other specific latino shops probably, because the goal is put them out of business by driving the prices down and selling in quantity.

Notice how they keep the prices just low enough to capture a good customer base and then they slowly raise them back up when all of the other stores have closed their door's? Now they want to experiment on a hispanic community by opening up these pilot stores. Soon (if they work) you'll see more ethnic specific products in areas with higher populations of any ethnic backgrounds,

And the worst part is, people will be ok with it "because Wallmart does it" so it must be ok.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

reply to post by RFBurns

90 percent of the stuff walmart sells is not even made in the US. With added stores, specific to an ethnic group or not, is not helping local economies.

How is it not helping communities? Does Wal-Mart not collect taxes off their sales?

Explain then why so many local businesses close down and also explain why after 25 years of this practice, why the US manufacturing and industrial job base is so shot. If it was such a good thing for the entire country's economic base, the entire country's economic base should not be in such shables as it is.

When was the last time you bought a television, a stereo, a blanket, a set of dinner ware, a coffee pot, a toaster, a microwave...made in the USA?

Also, those sales taxes are subsidized through the tax break given to wal mart to locate in that town or city in the first place.

Buying products to fill their store is a total separate issue and something that many major business across our nation are doing.

The only reason why the products are bought from overseas is becasue there is no where else to get them domestically. Seems pretty logical that you have to buy wholesale from where the sources are located.

Now if WalMart denies any race entry into those stores, then I could see this as being a big problem.

Its probably unlikely that would happen. However, lets see how they do with the hireing end of it.

Something tells me that we wont see any race problems with entering the stores, but most likely a problem in the job section.

Cheers!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join