It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you could go back?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I am somewhat obsessed with the subject of time travel. I ponder it, every day. If you or I had an individual reverse machine, would I meet my young self? Or would doing that, cease her existence? Or would I not meet her, because going back would automatically shift me into the next parallel dimension over? Have you all gave way to scenarios about, as to if you would approach your young parents? Or a romantic crush who was the one that got away, because of something wrong that an ignorant you did? Do you sometimes daydream about the things you would do if you were stuck in the 1950's or '60's or 1970's, like go buy record albums that are hard to obtain now, or go into a concert or event that you didn't because you were too young? I would like to go into Studio54 in NYC and dance in it. Or attend a baseball game that was --legendary--? Today, it occurred to me, that I would like to sit in front of a TV all day and night, for one day in 1970, or thereabouts, and especially pay attention to those commercials. EVEN THOUGH I otherwise HATE advertising, such an experience would be hillarious!!! Then check out the Johnny Carson show before nitenite.
On a tremendously more somber note, would you try to stop 9-11-01? Or would a DIFFERENT terrorist attack on a different day, be in the offing, just because you went back? Would I be able to thwart the JFK assassination? See, my thoughts can go on and on and on like this.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by simonecharisse]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I too think about that kind of thing constantly. There are so many "what ifs" in life and this time machine would appear to be a cure all. Unfortunately, thinking about this too much could lead you to discontentment as you might focus on regrets and the fantasy that you could go back and change all of your mistakes.

Having said that, my selfish fantasies include going back to the 15 or 1600's with modern knowledge and technology and becoming king. Then there's the lottery of course. I would also meet my young self and teach him the things I have learned in life so I wouldn't make the same mistakes. I have absolutely thought of stopping the J.F.K. assasination too!

Nobody really knows the answer to this time paradox but it would seem that the only workable theory is the multiple timeline one.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I re-watched the movie 'Somewhere In Time' with Chris Reeve and Jane Seymore, on 2-14, and I am fascinated with a concept in there, where the hero's Professor describes to him the technique of being in an environment representing only the era you wish to inhabit, then putting your mind there. I wonder where they got that idea, or just made it up for the movie?
Yes I am -highly- -dissatisfied- with present time, for sure. We are all in the middle of an unhappy transition in 2009, and it makes me feel anxious and depressed. But perhaps on a positive note? If numerous outcomes and possibilities are ahead, --because-- of parallel dimensions, (including our current 'fixed' course) MAYBE if everyone does something different which veers around instead of into, apocalypse, then......no apocalypse?
Do you LOVE as much as I do, all those Star Trek (Next Generation, Voyager, etc.,) scenes, where the crews from different times, encounter their future selves, (Warff and Deanna Troy -married- !).......

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Probably would have told Richard Bay not to make Pearl Harbor. That and somehow sabbotage every single attempt to pass the federal reserve act.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
If I could go back 20 years, I would use all the knowledge I have gained on mind control (given how simple and effective it is) and start a cult and have thousands of worshippers who will obey my every command.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I've always been obsessed with dinosaurs, especially as a child....
so I would probably live out my childhood fantasy and go back to the age of dinosaurs. Of course I would have to be very well armed!!! But man that would be awesome to see how these creatures really lived firsthand!
I want to ride a diplodocus!!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I would DEFINATELY go back to the 80s's......

Hell Yeah

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
What has happened has already happened.

This is only an example (which never happened, but lets say it did for this sake). If I wanted to go back in time to stop a guy from tripping over me and breaking my leg when I was a child, and go back only to find I tripped over a child and broke his leg. I can't change the past, because what has happened has already occurred; if it didn't occur, then you wouldn't have a reason to go back in the past.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Simonecharisse maybe you should ask this guy. He might be able to shed some light.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Butter Cookie
I would DEFINATELY go back to the 80s's......

Hell Yeah

Worst Decade Ever!!!

(in my best Comic Book Guy voice)

Seriously tho - that decade was a sheeple love-in...

Just Say No to about everything - and people ate it up!

What a bunch of Suckers!!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I would love to see something Natural occur, something really out of the norm. Something bigger than a volcano erupting yet more pretty than the lights int he sky at the pole. Not sure what could qualify though...

Fox

top topics

join