It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got kicked out of bar for political beliefs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I was in downtown Denver tonight and drinking a few brews with the friends. There was a marine dressed in full colors that came up to our table and wanted to sit with us (keep in mind this is unwarranted by the marine corps). He sat there talking and I brought up the question whether or not he believed Obama was a legitimate president (e.g. not a puppet). Immediately, he becomes defensive and starts yelling at me. I ask him if he believes everything the government says. He responds by saying he follows the President's orders and the constitution. I tell him I disagree and that Obama has lied many times since his inauguration. This agitates him further. He begins to insult me, calling me anti-American. I tell him that I love this country, but not what it has become. Furthermore, I ask his opinion on Ron Paul and constitutional militias, which I'm interested in joining in Colorado. He becomes irate and calls me anti-government and anti-American. He says Ron Paul is a terrorist and implies that anyone who follows him will be "fired upon" if there ever was a civil war. I end up getting kicked out of the bar for being a Ron Paul supporter and supposedly anti-American. I'm downright disgusted. Thought I'd vent.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
So he's saying him and his friends will shoot you if there's a civil war?

Who kicked you out? The marine?

[edit on 15-3-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
It is sort of funny because by nature if you're pro-american, you'll be anti-government. But the average person has no idea that's the case.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
He pretty much got up and threatened to kick my butt because he said I was a terrorist and anti-American. He said all militias are terrorists and the marines would fire upon them in it came down to it. Granted, he had been drinking, but I've never been called so many names in my life. Everyone in the bar called me anti-USA for following Ron Paul and questioning Obama.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The moral of this story is this:

Don't drink with Marines, because they can't handle their liquor, and it always turns into a fight.

Same sort of thing happened to me a couple of decades ago. I was at a kicker bar in Texas one evening, knocking back a few and shooting a little pool. This guy shows up, lays down his money to challenge the table, and I ran the table on him — he didn't even get a shot.

So he immediately started yelling, and the only way to shut him up was to buy him another beer. He sits down with us, drinks about 3 more beers, and we learn that he's a Marine on leave. It was obvious to everyone that this guy couldn't hold his alcohol — he was abrasive, easily offended, and we could tell he was itching for a fight.

About this time, he suggests trading punches, you know, taking turns short-punching each other until somebody cried uncle. My buddies chose not to participate. However, I was (and am) pretty stout, so I decided to humor the guy. He allowed me the first punch, and I hooked him hard enough in the ribs to stagger him. He returned the favor — I was pleasantly surprised to find that I couldn't even feel it.

Well, this went on for a bit until the barkeep approached us with a billyclub in his hand and told us to get the #!¢©? out. My buddies and I were still relatively in control of our faculties, and we complied without argument; but the Marine started bellowing again, raising hell, and he was arrested very shortly.

Next morning, I got up to shower, and I was stunned to see my torso and biceps positively covered in black & blue contusions. Looked like I had crashed through a brick wall. I called one of my buddies and asked what happened, and he explained that the Marine was actually punching me four or five times for every single punch I gave him.

Sheesh, I wasn't even aware of it. But it was more than apparent that the jarhead had worked himself into a frenzy, probably because I was laughing at him as he used me for a punching bag. The bartender finally intervened, thinking the Marine was going to kill somebody.

Anyway, I went into work that morning, and my supervisor (an ex-Marine himself) noticed my bruised-up biceps and asked what the hell had happened. I told him, and he just shook his head in disgust. His sage words to me:

Don't drink with Marines, because they can't handle their liquor, and it always turns into a fight.

— Doc Velocity

:w::w::w:

[edit on 3/15/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
No offense OP, but trying to talk high-stakes politics is never a good idea under the influence.

Bringing it up with a drunk Marine is an even worse idea.

Yeah, you probably believe passionately in what you were saying... but it's not worth the trouble when the person you are telling is too drunk to remember anyway.

Discussing politics with sober people is dangerous enough.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr

Discussing politics with sober people is dangerous enough.

LOL good point!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bthomson

I'm surprised the young marine did not clean out your chronometers! I am a veteran and know what the marine was stating, as we take lawful orders from all officers (that includes our Commander in Chief) and defend the Constitution.

Also, instead of being nice, it does seem like you were trying to pick a fight.

I was (and still am) friends with many marines, and I do know about their drinking and getting into fights. Their sergeants and other NCOs encourage them to blow off steam. A few days in the brig for a bar fight is like a badge of honor. Still, they were my fellow brothers in arms, and I would take a bullet for them.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I want to state that I am not against you for your politics or right to speak your mind. I do think doing so in a bar with drunk people is not wise, just like some other posters are commenting.

I did like Ron Paul for being who he is. I happen to disagree with him most of the time, but it is nice to have a politician be himself and not what their advisers want.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
OP...I may be the only one to say this...but it almost sounds like flaming in real life...

the man sits for a stiff drink and to relax and you bust in with...do you really trust Obama? They way you describe (and there could be some you didn't mention) is like you YOU were looking for a fight or shock value...that's just me though

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
You shouldn't have brought it up when you were drunk...

Just my $.02.

Political discussions in real life are worse than online.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
One more thing about Ron Paul... I've followed this guy's career since the 1980s, and he's never changed his tune. Paul has always been into fringe politics, making absurd proposals that nobody took seriously.

I mean, I was in the audience at the 1988 Republican Caucus in Houston, where the speakers included Bob Dornan, Pat Robertson, and Ron Paul — these guys were throwing their hats into the presidential race (with the exception of Bob Dornan, who was speaking on behalf of George Bush Sr.). Pat Robertson spoke first and, make no mistake, Robertson is one hell of a public speaker, he had the audience on their feet. Bob Dornan was next, and Dornan was like a pit bull snarling at the end of a chain, but the audience gave him a standing ovation also.

Then came Ron Paul.

I swear, it was the rudest audience response, but they all laughed at Dr. Paul and his preposterous political promises. Abolish the IRS? The crowd howled.

But I understood why they were laughing. They knew that Ron Paul, even if he was somehow miraculously elected, could never deliver on any of his promises, simply because a president can't do anything without a friendly Congress behind him. And Congress is never going to cooperate with a crazy man who wants to eliminate Congressional pay raises and abolish the primary source of Congressional revenue, the IRS.

It's absurd. Electing Ron Paul as president to work with a thoroughly hostile Congress would be like hiring a Klansman to coach an all-black professional basketball team. There would be no cooperation, no accomplishments, no nothing but seething controversy. Ron Paul's problem is that he locks onto these fantastical "solutions" to the nation's problems, and he never lets go of them. He doesn't compromise, he doesn't even try to bridge the gap. He's singing the same tune today that he's been singing for nearly 30 years, and it's still utterly laughable.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
He's singing the same tune today that he's been singing for nearly 30 years, and it's still utterly laughable.

— Doc Velocity

Laughable?

That only shows that he is one of the most honest politicians out there, a shady politican will always change his tune,( a sign of a liar) always show his fake smiles and fake compassion, to get power and control.

Ron Paul shows signs of a respectable, honest man, who puts himself out there with no obvious agendas.

It's not laughable, it's respectable how much will power this man has, how he keeps fighting even when everyone laughs at him. A sign of true real man, doing what he thinks is right.

People have a choice of voting for honest looking guys like Ron Paul, or voting for shady looking guys with fake smiles. It's a shame that people vote for the shady guys all the time.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008

I'm surprised the young marine did not clean out your chronometers! I am a veteran and know what the marine was stating, as we take lawful orders from all officers (that includes our Commander in Chief) and defend the Constitution.

Also, instead of being nice, it does seem like you were trying to pick a fight.

I was (and still am) friends with many marines, and I do know about their drinking and getting into fights. Their sergeants and other NCOs encourage them to blow off steam. A few days in the brig for a bar fight is like a badge of honor. Still, they were my fellow brothers in arms, and I would take a bullet for them.

Not defending either side of this story, if the marine was truthful on following the constitution, he would not have said he would fire upon a militia, since we are entitled to that protection in the constitution.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Getting drunk and getting into barfights doesn't sound like blowing off steam to me, sounds more immature than anything.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I would like to hear from any other people who are serving in the USMC, or have in the past, as to the code they abide on drinking in public, in uniform... and discussing politics.

My husband is active duty in the Navy and to my knowledge he is not allowed to wear his uniform off base and drinking in it is only acceptable at a military function. So if he was to do something like this it would mean big trouble and discussing politics IN uniform alone could mean a dishonorable discharge.

Can anyone clarify this ?

I don't mean any disrespect by any means but this marine's actions seem unprofessional. To state all that he did to you, speaking as if he does so for the USMC as a whole is not his place IMO.

But yeah, I agree with the overall consensus that discussing politics in a bar with strangers, and a uniformed one no less, is never a good idea lol

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

When one wears the uniform, it represents the whole service and not just them. They cannot attend any political event in uniform, and if they do go into a bar, they cannot get drunk in uniform.

From what I gather by the story, it seems that the young marine was new and showing his pride of the uniform. Going into the bar was not against any regulation unless the bar was on a list that the military cannot patronize.

If one gets into trouble while in uniform, then there will be hell to pay with the unit commander.

Your husband should be able to wear his service dress uniform off base. The maintenance uniform (BDUs, fatigues, or other non service dress uniforms) are not allowed to be worn in restaurants unless on a lunch break. Some areas may be dangerous to service people, so they may not be allowed to wear their uniforms as they make targets. That is usually for some overseas areas, as I have not heard of that for CONUS bases.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

It is an unwritten code. I am not saying I agree with it, and other services discipline their members more severely for that type of conduct. It is more to do with the marine way of life.

BTW, they are usually not in uniform when they get into such fights, but you can always tell they are marines.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Thank you for your reply kidflash, and for clarifying this for me.
We are currently stationed overseas and I understand why uniform is not allowed off base when we are.

I still think he, and others, should be careful of what they say, and how they say it, when in uniform and commenting on things of this nature.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

You are correct on that one, but many of the marines, airmen, soldiers and sailors are young and can be stupid. Eighteen and nineteen year old men and women can get pretty emotional and sometimes do not think. The services take that into consideration when problems arise.

Good luck to you and your husband. Enjoy the areas you go to when possible. (Try going to Europe as I did not get the chance but my brother did and loved it!)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join