It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public co-ed bathrooms? Huh?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
Statistically speaking more women are harmed, raped and murdered by men than the other way. So to jump on that generalization is alarming to me, when I'm expressing, that if faced between the choice of wetting my pants or using a bathroom where a strange man could barge in, I would wet my pants, as I have experienced violence.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by mystiq]
I understand you have experienced violence, as have I, but to continue to use "man" as if it includes all men is offensive to me as a woman, and I am sure to many men. Excluding the masses of men because you are afraid of the bad ones is not fair nor wise.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

By the way, most women don't report violence or sexual assaults either, only the tip of the iceberg gets reported.

I'm pretty sure the fact that it goes unreported precludes the notion of anybody having a statistic that states who did what and in what proportion. Of course, I doubt it would be enough of an outlying statistic to throw off the numbers that we have from the actual reports. You're still assuming something that isn't proven.

Also, since we're playing a statistics game, 78% of all rapes are committed by non-strangers.

So, statistically speaking, you are actually safer with a stranger in the bathroom than with your own kin and or friends.

[edit on 3/15/2009 by eNumbra]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
He's right again. And "some strange man" could be the one who saves you the next time.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark
And really why shouldn't it be so? Don't women's restrooms have stalls?

Well, not all. For example a local public park in my area. The men's and women's bathrooms are so close together (they are outdoors bathrooms) and the signs for each are impossible to see. I walked into the women's restroom by accident. Neither the men's nor the women's stalls have doors on them, so anyone can watch you doing your business.

But as I mentioned in my first post I understand exactly what this bill implies, and whether it is a good idea or not obviously depends on society's moral values. So obviously in today's day and age, it would be a bad bill to pass the way it is written. If they spell it out a little clearer, like I did in my post, I don't think the bill poses any real threat.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Well, if they are going to pass a restroom bill, then I have a few things I would like to add besides doors on all stalls and locks. I think the government should supply mace dispensers and sani wipes. Outdoor diaper pails, and extra flushing capacity for female laziness. Shoe scrapers for miscellaneous toiletry items left on the floor, and piped in air freshener along with drum music for gaseous noises. Anything else?

I was just kidding about the government part....

[edit on 15-3-2009 by seagrass]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
In Calif at state highway rest-stops men and woman are allowed to enter the restrooms of the opposite sex if they are assisting a disabled person of that sex.

Its posted right on many of the facility doors.

They might as well have co-ed restrooms.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I think there a many women, and men for that matter, who feel vulnerable in any setting. It does not matter whether they are in a unisex washroom or waiting in a bus station, there will always be people who, for whatever reason are physically uncomfortable in surroundings when the ratio of male to female, or vice versa is apparent.

Add to this feeling of vulnerability the sexual fiends who lurk on park benches, behind trees, crouching behind cars, slipping a mickeyfinn into a drink at a bar. How about the nice guy at work who offers a ride home and then pounces? How about the date raper? Unfortunately the setting is irrelevent. Rape is everywhere.

I do not like the thought of using a unisex washroom because some men are just filthbags and are devoid of any toilet etiquette., like piddling all over the seat an being too ignorant to clean up. I also think men would prefer to have men only washrooms.

Why bother to change a system that works?

res
Ok ...probably gonna get flamed now

[edit on 15-3-2009 by resistancia]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

And I would have to say that mandatory doors on the stalls would be a primary issue, in my opinion. Not only for privacy but the assumed safety concerns.

But I don't think it's likely to happen. People seem quite adamant about maintaining a certain distance (and in my opinion a disparity) between men and women.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
Well, if they are going to pass a restroom bill, then I have a few things I would like to add besides doors on all stalls and locks. I think the government should supply mace dispensers and sani wipes. Outdoor diaper pails, and extra flushing capacity for female laziness. Shoe scrapers for miscellaneous toiletry items left on the floor, and piped in air freshener along with drum music for gaseous noises. Anything else?

While you're at it, why not ask them to rid the world of violence and hunger? And of course, give the citizens the bailout money instead of giving it to the corporations.

Wet wipes in restrooms would be great. My butt always itches unless I use them. (I guess you really didn't need to know that.) Funny thing I've noticed, I know of lots more people from the east coast that use wet wipes than those who are from the west coast.

[edit on 3/15/2009 by pjslug]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia
I do not gthe thought of using a unisex washroom be some men are just filthbags and are devoid of any toilet etiquette. I also think men would prefer to have men only washrooms.

I'm not going to flame you, but having cleaned quite a few public toilets in my time I can say that the womens restroom was always, without fail, dirtier than the mens. I know this is in dispute with the claims of a certain amount of women who live with men, but I think it's the difference between public and private restrooms.

Seriously, there is a reason for males to keep a public restroom tidier. I don't want to start an evolutionary debate, but it leads in that direction.

As for women, I actually get it. If I had no choice but to sit on a seat that an unknown number of other people has sat on, I'd likely not fully sit either without several of those nice paper liners. But the fact is, it leaves a bigger mess.

Though, for the record, a toilet seat is generally cleaner than your toothbrush.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by pjslug

Originally posted by seagrass

While you're at it, why not ask them to rid the world of violence and hunger? And of course, give the citizens the bailout money instead of giving it to the corporations.

Wet wipes in restrooms would be great. My butt always itches unless I use them. (Funny thing I've noticed, I know of lots more people from the east coast that use wet wipes than those who are from the west coast.)
That's because it still takes a few years for the west coast to catch on. You guys get everything first. We just got a Krispie Kreme like a year ago..
I only use them for specific reasons and never noticed the itch problem. Ignorance is bliss?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I detest ever having to use any public washroom. I carry in my handbag a pack of alcohol wipes and a pack baby butt wipes so that after I have wiped the seat with the paper (if there is some) I then clean the seat with the alcohol wipes. After washing my hands, I use the baby butt wipes to grasp the doorhandle on the way out.

I am actually more afraid of germs and icky things than I am of being raped.

Yes, perhaps I am a little eccentric and yes women's washrooms are sometimes an abomination.

the eccentric but experienced
res

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
In Calif at state highway rest-stops men and woman are allowed to enter the restrooms of the opposite sex if they are assisting a disabled person of that sex.

Its posted right on many of the facility doors.

They might as well have co-ed restrooms.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

I do live on the west coast, in Los Angeles. I am originally from the east coast though, Miami.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by resistancia

That doesn't sound so much as eccentric as it does obsessive compulsive. But that's okay, we all have bits of compulsive behavior.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Yeah some might say it is OCD. Actually, it it just good sense to assist in guarding oneself against the real nasty bugs, particularly if one has an impaired immune system...as I do.

cheers one and all
res

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

If this politician was around my neck of the woods he'd be having some very strong action and protests. As a politician, he is very much aware of statistics and is well informed, so what he is doing, is deliberately trying to increase violence against women.

I just want to clarify one point: John Sununu, the politician I mentioned in the OP, is not the pol that sponsored this. In fact, he is waging a campaign to stop it from passing. The bill passed the NH House along party lines; I won't mention which party was in favor of it.

Back on topic: This bill would also apply to public dressing/changing rooms, like the ones at beaches. Now, in my experience, those are not as private as restrooms; many times they do not have locking doors. People of varying states of undress are common in them.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Oh yuck. That's what I want to do, go into a restroom and see men. I don't really care to do my business with men in there either. If you are a transgender, then go into the restroom for which you qualify, or hey, if you are confused about what you are, then don't make everyone else have to put up with it. Alot of stores here have "family" restrooms, which is just a large restroom in case a man has to take his daughter, or vice versa, they have a changing table and plenty of room for wheelchairs or strollers. But, as the door has a lock, it is one at a time.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
How many people here have been to a concert? Ever see the line for the women's restroom? Ever even see a line for the men's?

Every time I have been to a concert I have seen women rush into the men's room to use the bathroom as the line for the women's restroom is usually huge.

I think this bill can have the effect of creating huge lines at men's rest rooms at concerts. Clogging up the men's room with women. It's just not right I tells ya!

Guys don't spend a whole heck of a lot of time in the bathroom. Women on the other hand...

Don't clog up our toilets with women!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join