It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Righteous

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Christian opinions wanted

There are many verses in the bible, which stand out or are beautiful, wise, thought provoking, amazing and even baffling.

In your personal opinion, what is the most righteous verse in the entire bible? If you could pin it down, too just one verse.

You may choose more than one if you wish but try to give a reason for your first choice.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

I believe these two laws are the most righteous of all, because Jesus tells me they are the greatest.

M't:22:36: Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
M't:22:37: Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
M't:22:38: This is the first and great commandment.
M't:22:39: And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
M't:22:40: On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
rev 22:[17] And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Isaiah 32:17 (King James Version)

17And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Of course this could ultimately apply to the verse that Miriam quoted.
The real righteousness was the work of Jesus and by trying to be a follower of Christ and following his example, we will have that thing she mentions, to share in the kingdom.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Well, this is my favorite verse. The entire chapter is good and describes the process of being "born again".

John 14:20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

That is in itself is one of the most true things of the bible, and the understanding I gained that made me even look at the bible to begin with. That single verse made me go - omg, i had no idea the bible talked about such things.

Most righteous chapter is a bit tough. But I think I'll have to go with proverbs 8.

www.biblegateway.com...

Hard to highlight any particular verses. But here goes anyway.

5O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.

6Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things.

7For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.

8All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.

9They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.

10Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold.

11For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.

12I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.

13The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

14Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength.

Gonna skip the bottom of the chapter now, for the part that Jesus talks about. I say Jesus, but of course with Jesus it was only the father speaking through him.

32Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways.

33Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.

34Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.

35For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD.

36But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Personally I cannot pin it down to just one verse. To say that one scripture is "most righteous" seems to give the connotation that there are those that are "less righteous". Every day that goes by and with every situation I encounter, I find another scripture that fits perfectly whether it be via an answer to a question, instruction, direction, guidance, nourishment, comfort, sheer beauty, or a host of many other things. Therefore they are all most - or equally - righteous in my mind.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joecroft
Christian opinions wanted

There are many verses in the bible, which stand out or are beautiful, wise, thought provoking, amazing and even baffling.

In your personal opinion, what is the most righteous verse in the entire bible? If you could pin it down, too just one verse.

You may choose more than one if you wish but try to give a reason for your first choice.

My first choice, for the most righteous verse would be found in the exchange of words between John the Baptist and Jesus - at Jesus' baptism. Realizing who is standing before him, John immediately wants the baptism Jesus would end up giving but Jesus knowing all - knew that for all righteousness to be fulfilled he had to undergo the baptism God sent John to give us.

"Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. But John tried to deter him, saying, 'I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?' Jesus replied, 'Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.' Then John consented." Matthew 3:13-14

For myself, the above is the most righteous but as for a personal favorite, there is nothing quite like the promise Jesus has made to every single person who follows his simple commands: "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

For the Christian who has yet to experience Christ actually coming to them, this is where their hope lies. For the unbeliever who would only give him a chance to prove he's the real Messiah - why not meet him half way? What do you have to lose compared to that which you could gain? Then there are some who already know him and spend their time seeking his face. Righteousness is found in all of these; hoping, meeting him half way, and seeking his face.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron
Personally I cannot pin it down to just one verse. To say that one scripture is "most righteous" seems to give the connotation that there are those that are "less righteous". Every day that goes by and with every situation I encounter, I find another scripture that fits perfectly whether it be via an answer to a question, instruction, direction, guidance, nourishment, comfort, sheer beauty, or a host of many other things. Therefore they are all most - or equally - righteous in my mind.

I understand what you are saying ReginaAdonnaAaron and maybe the phrase “most righteous” was not the best way to word my question.
I agree with what you said in that there are always going to different situations that have a unique solution or piece of scripture that is right for a particular moment in time.

Question to ReginaAdonnaAaron:

Try looking at my question this way:

Imagine your with a close friend who is not a Christian, and he/she is about to board a train and you may never see them again. Let’s just say they have about 2 or 3 mins before leaving time. Suddenly and unexpectedly they ask you about God and Jesus. What would you say to them? I think that naturally you would want to start with something from scripture and because you do not have much time, you would want to start with the best, most important or “most righteous” verse. Where would you start…

Which verse would you start with?

Thank you everyone so far, for your replies…

I understand that it's the complete teachings of Jesus, that are the most righteous/important, throughtout the Bible and that having to just choose one, would not normally be required, unless you were in a situation similar to the question above.

I am still trying to decide myself and I am torn between three verses…
I will try to decide soon and post it onto this thread.

- JC

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Question to ReginaAdonnaAaron:

Try looking at my question this way:

Imagine your with a close friend who is not a Christian, and he/she is about to board a train and you may never see them again. Let’s just say they have about 2 or 3 mins before leaving time. Suddenly and unexpectedly they ask you about God and Jesus. What would you say to them? I think that naturally you would want to start with something from scripture and because you do not have much time, you would want to start with the best, most important or “most righteous” verse. Where would you start…

I completely understand the objective of the question but for me personally I still do not think that it would be possible to narrow it down to just one verse! I'll explain why...

Because this friend is not a Christian, there are actually two things that I would feel the need to relay. Those two things are that it takes an acceptance and belief in Christ as Lord and Savior as well as a good heart to obtain eternal life. If I were to provide one without the other, I would feel that I was failing Father in preaching the full 100% truth that I have been charged to do in my service to Father and Christ Jesus.

So, I've narrowed it down to three verses. One that speaks of believing Christ to be the source of eternal life, one that speaks of having a good heart that is the second condition of obtaining eternal life, and the third, a warning to guard his heart from the evil that wishes he should lose the hope of eternal life.

John 11:25 "Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in Me, even if he dies, will live."

Luke 8:15 "But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop."

Proverbs 4:23 "Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life."

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron
I completely understand the objective of the question but for me personally I still do not think that it would be possible to narrow it down to just one verse! I'll explain why...

Because this friend is not a Christian, there are actually two things that I would feel the need to relay. Those two things are that it takes an acceptance and belief in Christ as Lord and Savior as well as a good heart to obtain eternal life. If I were to provide one without the other, I would feel that I was failing Father in preaching the full 100% truth that I have been charged to do in my service to Father and Christ Jesus.

I completely understand and I feel your intentions, are in a sense the most righteous (no pun intended) approach to my second question.

In my first original question in my OP I stated:

This additional sentence above in my OP, makes my complete question slightly more open ended and I was interested in a persons first choice rather than getting them to narrow it down to just one verse! Aslo a persons first choice is there own choice and does not imply that it is above or is more righteous than another verse.

In my second question I stated:

In my second question, again I was interested in a persons first choice and not that you had to choose only one verse.

The phrase "Which verse would you start with" implies that you could use more than one verse.

The point of my second question and to some extent my first question, is that you may have 5, 10 or even 20 verses in mind but you would have to start somewhere and I would assume you would want to start with your best foot forward, so to speak. Where you start maybe the most important in my second question because you may not get another chance to mention the other verses, due to time running out, even though your intentions, come from your heart. Maybe in my first question it is not important where you would start (i.e. all verses are equally righteous, depending on the situation) but in my second question, I felt where you would start, was important.

You have of course answered my question by starting with the verse John 11:25 "Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in Me, even if he dies, will live."

Incidentally John 11:25 is one of the three verses I am torn between for being my first choice.

Thank you for your reply, I feel the other verses you mentioned were very wise considering the situation in my question. I hope you never find yourself in a similar situation to my second question but if you do, at least you have had some time, to think about what you might say in advance, by replying to this thread.

- JC

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I guess I do better with "situational" type questions.

What are the other two verses you're considering?

[edit on 16-3-2009 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

These are the three verses I was considering:

John: 14:6 “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one can come to the Farther except through me.”

John 14:13 “You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, because the work of the son brings glory to the Farther”

John 11:25 "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in Me, even if he dies, will live."

I have decided to go with the verse John: 14:6 as my first choice.

- JC

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Myrtales Instinct

Thank you for your reply...

Originally posted by Myrtales Instinct
My first choice, for the most righteous verse would be found in the exchange of words between John the Baptist and Jesus - at Jesus' baptism. Realizing who is standing before him, John immediately wants the baptism Jesus would end up giving but Jesus knowing all - knew that for all righteousness to be fulfilled he had to undergo the baptism God sent John to give us.

Mathew 3:13-14 is an interesting choice and I would probably say it is one of many righteous acts that Jesus did that stands out in the bible.

The only other verse I can think of that comes close too or is similar to Matthew 3:13-14 is John 13:6-8 where Simon Peter protests to having Jesus wash his feet, because in a way he probably felt it was a very unrighteous act (similar to how John the Baptist felt) for Jesus to do, until he realizes that Jesus is trying to set an example to his disciples.

- JC

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

The only other verse I can think of that comes close too or is similar to Matthew 3:13-14 is John 13:6-8 where Simon Peter protests to having Jesus wash his feet, because in a way he probably felt it was a very unrighteous act (similar to how John the Baptist felt) for Jesus to do, until he realizes that Jesus is trying to set an example to his disciples.

- JC

Jesus did tell his disciples that he was setting an example for them, and that we should do this for one another. But there is way more to this passage than at first meets the eye. There is a hidden mystery here that most people never realize.

In verse 7 Jesus told Peter you don't understand what I am doing now but later you will. There would have been no need to say this if he was going to completely explain himself within the next couple minutes.

What say you, Joecroft? Do you know the great mystery at work here?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Myrtales Instinct

Originally posted by Myrtales Instinct
Jesus did tell his disciples that he was setting an example for them, and that we should do this for one another. But there is way more to this passage than at first meets the eye. There is a hidden mystery here that most people never realize.

In verse 7 Jesus told Peter you don't understand what I am doing now but later you will. There would have been no need to say this if he was going to completely explain himself within the next couple minutes.

What say you, Joecroft? Do you know the great mystery at work here?

The new living translation version:
John 13:7 Jesus replied, “You don’t understand now why I am doing it; someday you will”

New international version:
John 13:7 Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand”

This seems potentially very confusing because the word “later” could mean presently or at some other point in time i.e. “someday”. Where as the word “someday” can only mean one thing. The word “later” leaves it open to interpretation but the word “someday”, clearly does not leave it open to interpretation.

From what I can gather most versions have the word “later” and most people seem to think, this directly correlates to verse (John 13:12). Where Jesus explains why he has washed his disciples feet. I can see your logic though, why would Jesus say, you will understand later, if only a few moments later he was going to completely explain it. Jesus was responding directly to Simon Peter, so maybe he meant that he (Simon Peter) would only understand it, at a later point or at a later date in time and possibly he wouldn't understand even after it was explained until much later.

I’m not an expert on the Gospel of John, so I guess I’m going to have to go along with what most bible scholars believe, in that Jesus was referring to the word “later” to mean his explanation in verse (John 13:12).

I find the new living translation version using the word “someday” as strange, I personally think it should be left as the word “later”, which at least leaves it with two possible meanings. If Jesus did mean “someday” then it is a mystery to me what he meant by it, unless he meant it specifically for Simon Peter i.e. Simon Peter would only understand what Jesus meant, someday.

- JC

[edit on 18-3-2009 by Joecroft]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Maybe this will help you.

Psalm 82

5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

Also of note, from Proverbs 8 that I quoted earlier.

8All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.

9 They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.

10Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

Maybe this will help you.

Psalm 82

5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

Also of note, from Proverbs 8 that I quoted earlier.

9 They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.

What are you trying to help me with exactly?

Are you connecting and tying in the above verses with John 13:12 or John 13:7 or both.

Reply to Myrtales Instinct

Roughly the same question to you Myrtales Instinct

What mystery are you alluding too?

Is it Connected too one of the following:

(1) What the word “someday” might mean in the verse John 13:7 ?

Or

(2) What Jesus meant in his explanation in verse John 13:12 ?

or a combination of both.

- JC

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Roughly the same question to you Myrtales Instinct

What mystery are you alluding too?

Is it Connected too one of the following:

(1) What the word “someday” might mean in the verse John 13:7 ?

Or

(2) What Jesus meant in his explanation in verse John 13:12 ?

or a combination of both.

- JC

Well, I'm not coming at this from a scholar's point of view but from experience. I mentioned Jesus' baptism by John and when you made mention of Jesus washing his disciples feet it cracked open the door of opportunity for me to discuss this. This is only one of many mysteries contained within the Gospel of John and I wouldn't mind discussing any and all of them with you or anyone else, but at the same time I realize that when a person claims direct experience, there is always going to be the possibility of unbelief, skepticism or severe critique. It's obvious I do want to talk about these experiences or I would have kept my mouth shut. I guess you could say, I'm sincerely looking for people who are having similar experiences.

Without going into too much detail - I went through a whole bunch of little experiences over the years, which ended up culminating into one huge event, and I had no idea what was happening to me. I looked to the Bible for answers and it was just a few years back, that I realized that the Gospel of John is an actual template to the mysteries we are all supposed to experience as the Messiah resurrects in us - which enables us to be a beloved disciple too just like the author of John.

As corny as it sounds, one mystery began in my foot. It felt like a small current of electricity - similar to the lightness of how a bee buzzes. This one mystery lasted over three months and later when I read John 13:7, where Jesus told Peter 'you do not realize now what I am doing but later you will understand" everything fell into place because I had done went through it. You see the reason Jesus washed their feet was to show them the "full extent of his love" and what happened at the end of that three month mystery I went through proved it to me - that's why he said "later you will understand."

Paul very nicely expresses what begins to happen next, after this wonderful union with God, through the Messiah takes place in 1 Corinthians 2. He speaks of God's secret wisdom and there is some info on it in Proverbs too.

As a side note, I searched the internet high and low to find someone who had possibly experienced what I had and found an old Eastern Orthodox Saint and poet named Simeon the New Theologian. He wrote this about a 1000 years ago:

We awaken in Christ's body

We awaken in Christ's body
as Christ awakens our bodies,
and my poor hand is Christ, He enters
my foot, and is infinitely me.

I move my hand, and wonderfully
my hand becomes Christ, becomes all of Him
(for God is indivisibly
whole, seamless in His Godhood).

I move my foot, and at once
He appears like a flash of lightning.
Do my words seem blasphemous? -- Then
open your heart to Him

and let yourself receive the one
who is opening to you so deeply.
For if we genuinely love Him,
we wake up inside Christ's body

where all our body, all over,
every most hidden part of it,
is realized in joy as Him,
and He makes us, utterly, real,

and everything that is hurt, everything
that seemed to us dark, harsh, shameful,
maimed, ugly, irreparably
damaged, is in Him transformed

and recognized as whole, as lovely,
and radiant in His light
he awakens as the Beloved
in every last part of our body. Simeon the New Theologian

"I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?" John 3:12

Jesus came to reveal God, through Spirit and though we live in tough times, we should treat each day as a new and wonderful mystery unfolding before our eyes. He is the bridegroom, who God sends out to redeem us on an individual basis.

It all comes down to "knowing." If the path is narrow and so few find the truth...... what does it mean "to know" Jesus?

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Myrtales Instinct]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Because it resonates deeply with me and sums up my spiritual beliefs totally.

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalm 139: 7, 9-10, 23-24)

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Because it resonates deeply with me and sums up my spiritual beliefs totally.

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalm 139: 7, 9-10, 23-24)

That's a nice one - and resonates deeply within me as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join