It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your brain knows what you're going to do 10 secs before you are aware of it !?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by suziwong

I had just been reading about the holographic universe theory - which put forward a case that we are 2D holograms - potentially with a link to a higher 3D consciousness.

If every move is made without thought (the thought comes afterwards to suit the decision) we are just like SIMS in the computer game - every move being controlled by a higher being.

If every one of my decisions is being made by some higher being playing my life like a video game than I want to have a word with this higher being because he's not doing as well as he should be

This whole ten second brain thing could easily fit with instinctual reaction, the decision is made in the brain before the consciousness and mind have a chance to interpret it. It really comes as no surprise that my brain knows what I'm going to do before I have a chance to analyze said action independently. However many times I spend minutes or even hours before making up my mind, how does that fit into the theory. I suppose the brain doesn't force us to run with its early warning decision making, as though it is acting on a purely subconscious level, likely low level reptilian brain instinct matters of survival and Fight or Flight. It definitely makes the argument that consciousness is something not entirely part of the brain but a separate function meant to weigh decisions more carefully on a cognitive level (because usually going with that 'gut' instinct impulse isn't a good thing)

One thing though, what about when I'm really confused and uncertain of what to do, does this mean my brain was confused ten seconds before my decision making dilemma or is does my brain know just what to do and I just happen to be ignoring it? The way I see it this is no way proof of lack of free will after all free will already has a sworn nemesis, determinism.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

As i said... it's too hard to explain.
My explanation didn't even say what i meant it to.

I think I'll leave it because I'll probably sound mental if i write the explanation i have in my mind right now... It actually sounds mental as I'm running through it in my head

That's because your brain told you it was mental 10 seconds before that, you gotta fight back, take control!!!!

P.S Did you mean after it happened, you "realised" became "aware" That you knew it was going to happen somehow before it happened. Haha sounds confusing. Is this what you meant?

[edit on 16-3-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
That's because your brain told you it was mental 10 seconds before that, you gotta fight back, take control!!!!

P.S Did you mean after it happened, you "realised" became "aware" That you knew it was going to happen somehow before it happened. Haha sounds confusing. Is this what you meant?
[edit on 16-3-2009 by _Phoenix_]

It's honestly impossible to explain...

It's like a mental version of the "liquid spears" that come from the chest of people in Donnie Darko... it leads people without them realizing it, like it's predetermined.

We'll just forget it man.... It's actually impossible to explain as i said...

I'll post this.... it kind of goes someway to explaining it.... but not really...

Free-will...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The problem with this study is that it monitors neural firings in the brain preceding the conscious decision without consideration for the Cardio ♥activity that accompanies this early neuronal brain activity.

If the researchers also monitored the corresponding heart reactions they will see that changes in cardio activity is causing these early firings and spurring the eventual decision 10 sec later or whatever.

[edit on 3/17/2009 by MyXlog]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
The following is why i think the joke is entirely on the 'neuroscientist' who think distinct brain areas are required at all:

ScienceDaily (July 24, 2007) — The unusual case of a man with a tiny brain caused by massive ventricular enlargement, who has led a normal life, is studied in a clinical update in The Lancet.

The man was 44-years-old at the time, married with two children, and worked as a civil servant. He went to hospital after suffering mild left leg weakness. He was treated by Dr Lionel Feuillet and colleagues, Hôpital de la Timone and Faculté de Médecine, Université de la Méditerranée, Marseille, France, who authored the clinical update.

Analysis of the man’s medical history revealed at the age of six months, he had had a shunt inserted into his head to drain away hydrocephalus (water on the brain), of unknown cause. At the age of 14, he had complained of unsteadiness and left leg weakness, which cleared up after the shunt was revised. His neurological development and medical history were otherwise normal.

www.sciencedaily.com...

French doctors are amazed that a 44-year-old civil servant with an abnormally small brain has led a normal life with a slightly lower than normal IQ, according to a report on Physorg.com.

Doctors said the father of two went to the Hopital de la Timone in Marseille with mild weakness in his left leg. He was given a CT scan and an MRI, which showed that his cerebral cavities or ventricles had massively expanded, according a case history to be published in Saturday's Lancet.

"The brain itself, meaning the grey matter and white matter, was completely crushed against the sides of the skull," Dr. Lionel Feuillet told AFP. "The images were most unusual... the brain was virtually absent."

www.foxnews.com...

www.alternativescience.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Frankly there are far too many choices that are made in less than ten seconds ( do i decide to laugh ten seconds before i hear the five-second-to-tell joke ? ) that could easily mean result in you not even having ten seconds to reflect on why your dying. I am sure there are far more mundane explanations for these findings ( unless their entirely random and you have the information already) and that we thus do not have to consider that there isn't such a thing as free will. In fact i decided to respond to this thread , with the no brainer links, seconds after i saw it. Admittedly that might just prove that ATS was created years ago so this thread could exist so that my brain were expecting it and could start making a decision about how to respond before i even saw it.

And to think they managed to get published.

Stellar

[edit on 17-3-2009 by StellarX]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
so maybe its another bogus experiment

or

they simply interpret the data in a way that fits their assumptions

But as you can see it has problems, so they need to do more work.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join