It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your brain knows what you're going to do 10 secs before you are aware of it !?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
online.wsj.com...

Since the scientific method is far away from the TRUTH, I still think that we can change our realities, because I did it and I'm doing it.

I think that the body is just a mean for the soul. We can conciously make decisions, if we 'train' ourselves to do it and win the inertia.

Perfect pratice makes perfect.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Wow, interesting, S and F

I'm one of those people that believe everything in life is predetermined, and free will is just an illusion, i'm 90% sure about this, but everything changes.

I really enjoyed that article nice find.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I find this of interest in the context of "flow"; many important decisions I have made were seemingly spontaneous, and the majority of the time those decisions were met with positive outcomes. This also has resonance with the adage about how when you are angry to count to ten before saying or doing anything. Very nice find, S & F.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by infobrazil

you know i think this has some validity because sometimes when i'm listening to a song that i've never heard before i'm able to hum along with the words even guess them sometimes throughout it but only right before the words are said ...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this

I heard about this on Radio 4's "in our time" - about 8 weeks ago when the Melvyn Bragg was interviewing 4 neuro-scientists.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing and I have been scouring the internet ever since to try and find some reference to it.!!!!

I had just been reading about the holographic universe theory - which put forward a case that we are 2D holograms - potentially with a link to a higher 3D consciousness.

If every move is made without thought (the thought comes afterwards to suit the decision) we are just like SIMS in the computer game - every move being controlled by a higher being.

The implications of this could be massive !

Starred and flagged !! my imagination is well and truely fired up

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I agree, good post.

I can say that i have actually experienced this, although it's extremely difficult to put into words how it feels.
I know I'm going to do something before i do it....or i realize I've thought about doing something or a song or whatever it may be....then i do it or sing it or whatever.

As i said...too hard to explain

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

Rather than being controlled by higher beings, I think this shows we are lesser beings than we thought we were and controlled by lesser processes (although our self-consciousness, which we were once so proud of, now appears to be the lesser one). We go about our lives following our instincts, effectively making us no different from beasts. The only thing separating us from them is our delusion that anything we do is a choice we have any control over.

This does have some interesting implications of course. For instance, if free will is indeed implausible, should we then change our treatment of criminals?

Very interesting find, S+F. What a great time to be alive for brain enthusiasts like me.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Symer
reply to post by suziwong

Rather than being controlled by higher beings, I think this shows we are lesser beings than we thought we were and controlled by lesser processes (although our self-consciousness, which we were once so proud of, now appears to be the lesser one). We go about our lives following our instincts, effectively making us no different from beasts. The only thing separating us from them is our delusion that anything we do is a choice we have any control over.

I wouldn't go this far, to me it could mean anything. I would not be confident in any theory yet.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

I agree, good post.

I can say that i have actually experienced this, although it's extremely difficult to put into words how it feels.
I know I'm going to do something before i do it....or i realize I've thought about doing something or a song or whatever it may be....then i do it or sing it or whatever.

As i said...too hard to explain

Nope I don't think this is the same thing

This is about your brain knowing 10 seconds before YOU are aware. What your seem to be saying is that you are "aware" before it happens, which is something different right?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
This is old news actually, and there's a few threads and commentary about it here.

But what it really means is, that Ego is an illusion. And puts Freewill to question.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
It's probably the autopilot function of the subconscious mind they're talking about. The most stuff we do, we do unconsciously; which is based on the programming in our subconscious mind. I started a thread about it once.

Edit: Found it!

Almost all your decisions are made by your unconscious mind.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by TheBandit795]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I believe, that this thread ties into time travel. Many times in my life, when I was thinking about taking an action that would have unforseen, by me, bad results, my stomach would hurt. I would get literally physically ill. Unfortunately, I would headstrong'ly disregard, sometimes.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
That IS an interesting article. I'm not sure that I buy each and every claim, but...

It gives weight to the argument tat consciousness, by that I mean, the conscious thinking mind, is an epiphenomema of the brain.

If they can show clearly in even more subjects that they can predict a movement or choice by 10 seconds and an upcoming error by 30 seconds, it would be hard to refute the data.

So then the conscious "me" we experience, becomes like a monkey riding the back of a greyhound running down the track...

Hmmm.. not real pleasant, but then not all things are.

The claim that possibly making decisions on the spot may be better than ones thought about too much makes me think about "answers" that seem to arise, or pop out later after a person has given up or put off a decision. It seems that then the decision has an intuitive quality that possibly the brain did on its own.

This is possible and interesting.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I find this very interesting.

Romans Chapter 7:

14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

So that we know we shouldn't do, is the very thing we find ourselves doing. Even if the conscious mind is aware of it, we do it because the subconscious level has determined it to be done before the actual act? Am I getting this correct?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Could this be why we experience Deja vu? We are actually doing something that our brain already registered 10secs previously therefore when we eventually do the task it seems we have seen or done it before?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Nope I don't think this is the same thing

This is about your brain knowing 10 seconds before YOU are aware. What your seem to be saying is that you are "aware" before it happens, which is something different right?

As i said... it's too hard to explain.
My explanation didn't even say what i meant it to.

I think I'll leave it because I'll probably sound mental if i write the explanation i have in my mind right now... It actually sounds mental as I'm running through it in my head

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tizer
Could this be why we experience Deja vu? We are actually doing something that our brain already registered 10secs previously therefore when we eventually do the task it seems we have seen or done it before?

Do you think that, if true, this might show that we possibly are never in the "now" but lag behind reality by 10 to 30 seconds?

Because if true, it is possible that we live in a world of appearances BECAUSE we (meaning our brains) are filtering everything and not letting us know about it for a moment.

Hmm. It still seems that the "I" inside is still not explained. What we have is a viewer who reacts to what has already transpired unknowingly, not in a normative sense of "the cup is falling...Grab it!", but that the cups falling has already occurred and all we think about it (Grab it!) was already performed by the brain.

It seems that an explanation at that level contains absurd portions. So this probably is not the way to interpret it.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by akalepos]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Do you think that, if true, this might show that we possibly are never in the "now" but lag behind reality by 10 to 30 seconds?

The test carried out states that it was done using random letters moving across a screen in which the students would press a button with there right hand or left hand,so in reference to your above question maybe it is only the decision making part of the brain that works this way.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tizer

The test carried out states that it was done using random letters moving across a screen in which the students would press a button with there right hand or left hand,so in reference to your above question maybe it is only the decision making part of the brain that works this way.

Yeah, you might be right about that. Think about impressions and then perceptions as in the impression of stimuli to the visual receptors in the eye, the infinitesmally small time it takes to label the stimulus, and recognize it, then the time it takes forming further mental impressions that cause one to decide what letter to push the button on and when. Plus there would be lag time involved there subjectively person to person.

Doesn't it seem like we would notice it though? I can't see it taking ten seconds for me to think about (I mean use intention) to hit the "t" key, when I am sitting right here not only typing but also watching the result on ths screen.

So since it doesn't "seem like" it's taking 10 seconds and 30 for an error, then if it was true, then it still seems that my opinion that I am here typing this in "real time" is an illusion.

I think the empirical evidence to the contrary shows that ... possibly...
though the research does indeed show something, maybe it is their interpretation that is wrong.

Its not that they are not viewing "consciousness" at some level, but it doesn't seem like they are seeing "intention". THAT is what they would want to see.

Or maybe its only the way the experiment is set up. I'll bet that's it.

Because I am not sure that sitting here typing these words are producing the same mental states (or BRAIN states more properly) as preparing to push a button at a certain moment and then actually doing it by choice.

It sounds similar, but I would claim that typing leters in succession is not the same as pushing a button in response to a visual stimulus.

here comes that wittgenstein crampy stuff... I can feel it!

It still seems to me that if I accept this study, then somehow I am still stuck between the minutes.

Boy... this sure is a freakin puzzle!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I can well understand all the controversy that this issue raises, the only problem i would have here, is an "uber" fast reaction.

I played indoor cricket once, now anyone that has, would know it is very fast! The batter hit the ball, only a meter away, I caught the ball with my "dumb" left hand (arm extended), quicker than anyone could see where the ball went.

Not only was every one around me surprised that the ball was in my hand, but I was too!

What I am trying to say, is that my brain had less than a second to not only realise the ball was hit, but in what direction and then decide to catch the ball, calculate where it would be by the time my left arm was extended far enough to actually reach it and then grab onto it.

To me this signifies that the brain is capable of mutliple split second tasks, decisions and instructions, that cannot be forseen 10 seconds earlier, even less 30 seconds prior.

Its all relative to the test at hand IMO. (no pun intended lol)

[edit on 3/16/2009 by corvin77]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join