It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Arrest Priest For Filming Them!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Cops Arrest Priest For Filming Them!

www.cbsnews.com

(AP) A Roman Catholic priest who monitors law enforcement treatment of minorities with a video camera released footage that appears to contradict the police account of his own arrest.

A police report says the Rev. James Manship was confronted and arrested Feb. 19 because he was holding an "unknown shiny silver object" and struggled with an officer who was trying to take it from him. But a 15-second video released this week by Manship's attorneys shows East Haven police Officer David Cari asking Manship, "Is there a reason you have a camera on me?"

"I'm taking a video of what's going on here," Manship replies. "Well, I'll tell you what, what I'm going to do with that camera," Cari says as he approaches the priest. The tape then goes blank.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-3-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Doesn't look like the states is too far off of the UK with this type of draconian, Fascist nonsense.

It's okay for all factions of Big Brother to monitor and survey our every move, but it looks like when the tables are turned there is a giant double standard!

Worried about corruption / civil liberties violations being recorded, much?

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-3-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The police now Consider Ron Paul as a terroist.

I don't know what to add to these type of threads anymore.

I'm scared to type!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Here we go again is right! Lets blow one incident out of proportion. I get filmed all the time on the streets and so do MANY of the officers/deputies in my area. Its not a big deal. If you really have that kind of time to stand around and watch me do my job, so be it.

We don't attack the person filming or taking pictures. The only way I will even approach someone with a camera is if I thought they MAY have seen something or may have information. Has nothing to do with them filming my arrests or dealings with the public....

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This is a very sad story. I am a shamed that our police have to have the need to act like this. I know many people who have outdated vintage plates in there home or in there pawn store. Hell I see them in Applebee's but you never here them knocking down their doors and removing them. The priest is in the right I think. The only ones who can tell him to stop filming would be the store owners. I am sure the the priest has gone the way of the mayor, but sometimes official channels never work. These are legal immigrants trying to make a go here. It is horrible we treat them this way.

Where is Captain America to kick some butt when you need him.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
AS bad is this is, it is good that people are bringing it to us.
This way we can put this anywhere that it can be put to let the people know what is up.
And I would say that the priest will not have to worry about donations for the poor much longer. He will be able to feed and house quite a few people with the money he will get from this.
And I hope they are able to put the police officers in the very jails that they cheat and lie to put anyone who does not bend to there twisted laws.

This is going to come to a head all over the world in the next year or so. And then we will have our rights back.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

I'm scared to type!

Do not fret! You were already being watched. If the government has compiled a "Blacklist" most of us who actively participate in this forum are likely to be on it.

Look on the bright side though, if we refer to our screen names in the camps, we will find out how many friends we have with us in the gulags. I hope that is as reassuring to y'all as it is to me.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This is from the article linked in the OP. Take a look at the cop's attorney has to say...

Keefe criticized Manship for "creating controversy where none needed to be."

"You've got to conclude that he was out there with a video camera in an attempt, in my view, to provoke the police to do something,"

So by filming you are provoking the police now?!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
Here we go again is right! Lets blow one incident out of proportion. I get filmed all the time on the streets and so do MANY of the officers/deputies in my area. Its not a big deal. If you really have that kind of time to stand around and watch me do my job, so be it.

We don't attack the person filming or taking pictures. The only way I will even approach someone with a camera is if I thought they MAY have seen something or may have information. Has nothing to do with them filming my arrests or dealings with the public....

That's all well and good as a crisis control statement, but what do you have to say about the OP?
It appears to be becoming increasingly common.
As an 'insider' you must have some information you can share regarding this.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Well I think it's important that we start to come up with legislation about where and when people can be recorded in America, so there is no doubt about what is right and wrong - thus we can avoid these conflicts where paranoid persons abusing their authority such as this case.

I think for the most part when you step out of the privacy of your home it should be expected that you might be recorded - regardless of who you are.

There should be places we're recording should be against the law as in those places you should have an expectation of privacy. Like your home or anywhere on your property where you have put up a privacy barrier - such as a solid fence over 7 feet tall etc.

All public and private bathrooms should be recording free unless it is a private bathroom and everyone is aware or has been made aware that it is not. Another words if some business or private home wants to broadcast on the internet and people who use it know it's happening it's okay.

Also, dressing rooms should be off limits. Court rooms should really be public as they are public servants - unless they are attempting to protect minors the work of public servants should be public.

The idea that some people think they are pharaohs and above public scrutiny and thereby cannot be recorded in public is a moot idea.

There was a company that was going to equip all officers in one of my City's with wearable recording devices that are always on, but the police unions fought against them. Why because they couldn't control when they were being recorded and they couldn't erase or change the recordings it was being handled by another agency - thus it was out of their control. Most of these recordings would help the police do their job - as it would be easier to write a report or perhaps they wouldn't have to they'd just attach a clip and it would automatically be transcribed. Yet, rather than making their jobs easier they were more fearful of prosecution themselves and thus they see themselves as more important than the job they are paid to do.

I think one day we will all have wearable recording devices to enhance our lives and make learning and remembering things easier - I hate to see such a great technology wasted because police think they are above the rest of us when it comes to accountability.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Does anyone else see the irony in a priest attempting to protect youth? This would make a great Onion story.

brill

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

It doesn't surprise me anymore around here, but it is definitely illegal for the cops to lie on the priest like that.

This country is toast in who knows how long. You can't just keep tossing people in prison for nothing, because then you'll have everyone, or nearly everyone in prison. You can't just keep putting more laws on the books, because then eventually everything will be illegal. Folks will be able to arrest you for anything.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Another hard hitting thread, DD.

Glad to see that there is at least one cop that understands that this is unacceptable. Star to the po-po.

I agree with the cop though, this one DOES need to be blown out of proportion. It is important to get this information out so cops will be less tempted to behave this way in the future. Surely our resident cop understands this.
Whether the cops know it, understand it or respect it, it makes no difference. Cops are servants and it is high time they start realizing that.

"Filming the cop was an attempt at provokation?"

That is ridiculous. This thing won't even make it to court. They'll drop charges and if the Priest decides to sue, they'll settle out of court.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Idea. There are cameras that broadcast the video to a remote video recorder. If they take the camera the hidden recorder hidden somewhere will not be found. If they ask you how to access the recording, tell them you just bought the camera on ebay and you hope you did not get scammed with no way to record.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
wiredamerican,

You should check out that website called kopbusters.
They have some pretty cool stuff there.

But yeah, that is one approach. Live feed streaming video to a website.
If the cops realized you had something like that, there is no way in the world they would act this way. It is a quick way to the unemployment line.

More of this needs to happen to keep them honest. Don't let them go after the freedom of press, people.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
You do realize though that crooked cops have been a problem for a very, very long time.
This seems to be occuring more rapidly now because we all have cameras and internet hookup.
If the system doesn't correct itself, they will try to make it so that we cannot film them. We have already seen this in the UK. It will happen here unless there is more integrity in the system than I believe there to be.

I just don't see how they can make that a reality here without other changes occuring first. I mean, its not like they can blow up a building and blame it on video cameras. They'll be forced to just make it illegal. And NOBODY will go along with that one.
Unlike the people in the UK, I feel that Americans still know that this is OUR country, not theirs. This is the difference between a monarchy and a republic. It is a fundamental difference. They will never take away our guns or our freedom of speech. Not without a fight.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Well unfortunately for everyone else, its obvious not all police officers are as reasonable as you are. Common sense and a basic understanding of human nature tells me that most, not all, but most people only really look out for themselves. When put in a position of power or authority you'd be surprised how quickly people metamorphose into jerks. And calling them jerks is putting it lightly. But I understand if you are concerned about everone suddenly tagging EVERY police officer as one of the jerks merely because one jerk cop did the wrong thing. I think for the most part the police are doing their job, nothing more. I've delt with many cops, and for the most part they are like anybody else. Carrying a gun and badge will inevetibly give those who are already jerks or ego-maniacs even more of a god-complex than they already have. And jerks with guns and a god-complex will do anything they want to and get away with it, because they control the paperwork and the paperwork in our society is gospel, regardless of what actually happened. Obviously someone like that would feel threatened when being caught on camera being a bad cop.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Im not sure I understand the meaning of this statement. Isn't it a priest's job to ensure that the youth be protected, more so than anything else? I certainly hope you're not trying to lump all priests into one group based on what some have done. This type of thinking is not only primitive, but very dangerous.

OOPS didnt mean to x2 post!!

edited for double-post apology

[edit on 14-3-2009 by mostlyspoons]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Now a days with all the high performance cell phones in the market anybody can record anything.

What needs to be done is having everybody that has a cell phone with recording capabilities to start looking for all kind of police involved incidents and record them in their cell phones in case things get nasty for somebody.

This will keep the dirty cops on their toes.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

I'm scared to type!

I'll respond for you: Ron Paul for President in 2012, if it isn't too late by then.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join