It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Adventures at DMV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Before you ask yes this post belongs right here in "War On Terrorism"

So look I have a CDL with TX endorsements... That means I'm not just licenced to drive a semi truck but also to pull tankers loaded with HazMats. Gasoline etc...

Anyway I've had my CDL since before people were required to have them. I've been driving so long they grandfathered me into the program rather than make me take a full CDL exam. the one thing I've always had to do is every time I renew I have to take the written test for the hazmat part...

Last month I went in to renew the first thing was the written part, (I got a 90 you need 80 to pass) then the lady comes out and Say's "come this way so we can take your fingerprints"!

Cool machine by the way...kind of looks like a copy machine as you place your fingers on a glass screen.

Anyway I asked the obvious,"Why do you need my fingerprints"? "to get your HazMat you first have to pass a background check". Puzzled but with nothing to hide I replied, "Okay I guess but who's doing this check"?

TSA does the check but the report goes to home land security. So now its official. not only am I part of the new national ID system every time I drive threw a port of entry a computer will log who I am where I'm going what I have on-board the truck and thanks to the satellite tracking systems we now have in some trucks, they can follow me in real time and know everything I've done...

Just something for you all thinking of getting your CDL's to keep in mind. of course if I didn't do it I'd have to give up working... Side note it took 30 days to get my clearance papers

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
In my 29 years of life on this planet, I am still amazed at the different horror stories that come out of D.M.V.'s across this great nation. These places are birthing grounds for stories on our eroding civil liberties and our constant citizens struggle against mad state bureaucracy.

This specific story reminds us that we are all like so many frogs in a tank of water, slowly but surely reaching the boiling point. Some of us notice the uncomfortableness of our current position and comment, others are sure it is fine and chastise us for complaining. We are being attacked on so many fronts that it truly is mind-boggling. Good post, and thank you for raising awareness.

edited to add: I had to place my hand on a similar machine that you spoke of just to get my last drivers license in Austin, Texas. I wonder if that was going to H.L.S.?

[edit on 02/21/09 by daeoeste]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Im not surprised. When i became a nurse in 1993 I had to get fingerprinted and now they are making nurses go back and fingerprint themselves again if they cannot be scanned or they were not requred too in the first place.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I spend my summers working as a campground host in campgrounds around the country for the Nat. Forest Svc, Nat Park Svc, etc. This year I've noticed that most of these positions now suddenly require all applicants to submit to fingerprinting and extensive background check. Note that these are not paid positions - I am a Volunteer. Something very fishy is going on...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Ya know I can see why I had to go through it... after all there have been times when I pulled a tanker full of poison gas... bad people could do very bad things with that so yes I understand the need to know who's hauling dangerous good across the nation....however...

Why a nurse? Why a forest Volunteer? what next Ice cream vendors?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Mechanics, thats who.
Im a certified emissions inspector, and safety inspestor.
Every 2 years itake an emissions "refresher" to get re-certified.
The test for the state is this..."would you like to renew?"
Weve been told in the coming years, they will phase in "cards" that ensure the required inspector is testing the vehicle.
Ask whats in the card, go head.....
Rfid chips.
And a fingerprint on the back.
I just stopped by my shop to do some work on my stang, and right in my inbox of the office.... my application for the new lic.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by guinnessford]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm glad my Drivers license isn’t due to be renewed until 2012. I have a problem with that RFID chip inside the card, that now also holds your social security number. Next I expect all my medical and banking info on it, as well. Kind of scary.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This makes me happy that my license won't expire
until 2046!!! Arizona is pretty dang cool sometimes

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
You’re very lucky. I worry Arizona won’t be exempt for the upcoming chaos, in the event of a possible crisis. They may heard everyone up to get the RFID chip and bag drivers licenses all together to cut back on paper work, so they say. I still like the Arizona renewal date.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Ya know I can see why I had to go through it... after all there have been times when I pulled a tanker full of poison gas... bad people could do very bad things with that

The fact is if you decide to be bad today you can still take that tanker and create havoc.

I mean we have a sexual predator website for people who've been convicted of deviant sexual crimes in the past - thus they are more likely to commit another - that doesn't really make people any safer from all the sexual predators who haven't been convicted yet.

So, basically what I'm saying is now we have a website for CDL drivers, who've never been convicted of a terrorist act, but just in case we'll treat them like potential terrorist without actually stopping them form doing a terrorist crime - as we can only act legally after they commit a crime. Well I guess we can act like they committed a crime before they do - right?

Perhaps there's a few people that have been convicted of certain crimes that will not be allowed to get that license, but for the most part anyone can still get the license and nobody is any safer because that license is much stricter.

In fact the person with the license is less safe, because now he is subject to the whims, mistakes and wrath of unruly undereducated government workers.

The fact is we're all being cataloged like sexual predators, in order that we can be controlled with controlled movements like prisoners in a penitentiary and some of us will be given more privileges than others unless don't fully comply with our orders.

While I think it's a good thing to have a license to carry large amounts of hazardous materials the facts is - If anyone wanted to do a quick crime the refineries are easy to find and it's not that hard to take out one trucker and steal his truck at any gas station in America.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
They require a thumbprint for a State ID as well.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by very low frequency

there is another way to look at... As I've just learned ...my new license also acts as a free pass at TSA checkpoints, AKA Airports...
So while the rest of you are subject to search and seizure I have no such travel restrictions...

In other words quite soon if you want to move around in this country they will force us all to comply...Wonder how long before you need these new licenses just to get on a city bus or subway?

the world is a changing my friends

[edit on 14-3-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
They require a thumbprint for a State ID as well.

Are you going to penalize yourself for a one liner? Same standards should apply across the board.

Mod Note: Please stay on Topic – Review This Link.

Note: One-liners are fine if they "add ... to the flow of discussion."

[edit on Sat Mar 14 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Its getting more and more common for such printing to be done, in my county of residence to obtain your CCW you must submit to finger printing. It really is quite redundant however because I already have full prints on both hands on file with either the FBI or the DHS as part of my job yet when I go to renew my CCW they will no doubt want to print me over (and probably with terrible old technology that requires the black ink instead of modern hardware).

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
So this was just for the renewal of your CDL and so you could transport Hazmat in a tanker.Good old Home Land Security working at its finest. (Though they can't seem to keep those pesky illegals out.)

HAZMAT Endorsement Threat Assessment Program

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by calcoastseeker
So this was just for the renewal of your CDL and so you could transport Hazmat in a tanker.Good old Home Land Security working at its finest. (Though they can't seem to keep those pesky illegals out.)

HAZMAT Endorsement Threat Assessment Program

You know what was the real kick in the pants...?
Not only did I find myself victum of this new "HAZMAT Endorsement Threat Assessment Program" it cost me $129 on top of the cost of the Lic...

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
it cost me $129 on top of the cost of the Lic...

That's really what it boils down to isn't it. The power to separate your money from you. No different than the jack offs working at the airport that have run up the airport fees and taxes so they can pretend make us safer by making granny take off her shoes. It's just more jobs for worthless people the produce nothing tangible.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
That's really what it boils down to isn't it. The power to separate your money from you. No different than the jack offs working at the airport that have run up the airport fees and taxes so they can pretend make us safer by making granny take off her shoes. It's just more jobs for worthless people the produce nothing tangible.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by verylowfrequency]

Amen Brother... Still I find it odd how at every turn the USA PATRIOT Act H.R. 3162 creeps into and invades every aspect of our lives. I guess George Orwell's 1984 was a few decades late in coming? maybe TSA made it wait for a permit?

By the way Thanks calcoastseeker for the link it answered a lot of disturbing questions, it also brought up a good deal more like how many people will go find something else to do for a living rather then go through the process?

[edit on 15-3-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Wish me luck everyone... today Monday March 16th after 30 days of waiting I finally have all my papers in hand and will go back to DMV... you see through all of this I still don't have my renewed lic... But now that the TSA has deemed me worthy I get to take my dozen or so letters back to DMV and with luck, I might... Maybe...Hopefully... get my new Lic...

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The one thing that occurred to me from this thread was perhaps the process at the airports is supposed to aggravate the passengers to the point where they can offer you this rfid card as a means to avoid the hassles of boarding a plane. Most will gladly get fingerprinted and background cleared to avoid being looked upon as a potential threat by the TSA.

What I cannot understand is the false sense of security this instills.
All bad people had a jumping off point where they were not yet bad.
What are the chances of 'recruits' already having this card and then carrying out the wishes of their group? The terrorist of today seems to be a one shot deal ending with their death as a result of the terrorist act. If they are going to commit a crime against the masses, would the card really have prevented this?

new topics

top topics

join