It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two arrests over NI police murder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Two arrests over NI police murder

news.bbc.co.uk

Leading republican Colin Duffy is one of three men being questioned about the murder of two soldiers at Massereene Army base last weekend.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 3/15/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
No verification yet over the reasoning for arresting the chap but he's a known dissident and opposed to the peace process... apparently.

Wonder how he PSNI managed to find out so fast...

(Thats some impressive police work there Lou.)

I would say that its good that the people responsible are being brought to Justice but I've just been seriously brought up short by something.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/15/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
like i have said on another forum which i was flamed for, i understand were duffy is coming from, the whole idea of IRA, the republican army is to be republic from any other country occupying it, all this started centuries ago, only by vote of Ireland its self did they give up northern Ireland so they killed Micheal Collins because he agreed with the British regardless what the people thought, i support a united Ireland but if they is no support for that to happen then i don't support it, republic of Ireland are not bothered about northern Ireland and they can not do anything about it anyways because they are not as strong as the British force, the Irish government is were it is now because of the irish rebellion in 1916. scotland and wales would of been called england if they did not get their own way because i think even those countries should be apart of england because it is one island but so is ireland and therefore should be untouched

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Ireland is a place of strange attitudes to a large degree yes, but I'm sorry.

I really cannot see what you are referring to.

Can you try to break that down for me?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Absence of Self

No verification yet over the reasoning for arresting the chap but he's a known dissident and opposed to the peace process... apparently.

Wonder how he PSNI managed to find out so fast...

(Thats some impressive police work there Lou.)

I would say that its good that the people responsible are being brought to Justice but I've just been seriously brought up short by something.

Even amongst people who want to see a 'united Ireland', this kind of ugly approach is no longer supported or wanted. I wouldn't be surprised if people or communities who would have been willing to keep schtum or turned a blind eye in the past were more less reluctant to come forward with information now.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by deathpoet69
like i have said on another forum which i was flamed for, i understand were duffy is coming from, the whole idea of IRA, the republican army is to be republic from any other country occupying it, all this started centuries ago,

scotland and wales would of been called england if they did not get their own way because i think even those countries should be apart of england because it is one island but so is ireland and therefore should be untouched

Yes, it did all start centuries ago. Unfortunately, if you look back to the reality of 'centuries ago' rather than misty-eyed nonsense you'll see that your second half of my quoted post makes absolutely no sense and is, to be blunt, a load of #.

Cambro-Normans (who weren't British or English despite the idea being unpopular with the modern-day 'oppressed Irish' &c, and it's the indigenous English who become the first victims and the first colony in all this) are invited by an Irish minor king to get his throne back and they go over with the Catholic Pope's blessing. That's how 'it' all starts.

A few centuries down the line, a bearded king of England and Wales - who happens to be a mix of Welsh and French-Norman - starts the plantations. These are then later continued by a Scottish king who happens to be king of Scotland and England. So, when the beastly English were doing all this oppressing and stealing and so on it's not actually by the English at all. Then later on there's a voluntary coming together of England and Scotland which creates a British union, and it's been since that union emerged that the modern day conflicts have arisen.

Throughout the last 1000 years the English have been ruled by various foreign families and lorded over by an aristocracy that's rooted in and tangled across most of Europe. Yet, somehow, it's always the #ing "English" that are to blame.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
That would be a turn up for the books but its not what is surprising to me.

The thing is that the barracks hit smacks of organisation as opposed to opportunity and for an official police investigation, well they seem to have gotten a result unusually quickly.

Communities have little to do with it since there was a lot more than a single geographic community involved.

The army base is in Antrim, Duffy was in Lurgan and the police also arrested guys in Derry.

And thats scatter shot; all of whom are NI.

Yet, the actual 'IRA' consider these people to be traitors and all a traitor to the IRA has in their future is a wire bath.

Apologies, given my current line of thinking there is more to this than simple 'neighborhood watchdogs' who would never give information to the PSNI in the first place, if you know what I mean.

new topics

top topics

join