It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Glad Christian Churches are closing?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
You were the one who started the thread about being glad churches are being closed. You were the one who asked us if Old Thinker was stirring the pot again..

[edit on 14-3-2009 by HIFIGUY]

Yes???

I asked the question...so....you think I'm glad? I am seeking information from others...is that OK?

And yes OT will stir the pot with non-believers bro...is that OK?

I'm sorry you typed before you thought/read/searched...

no biggie bro we all have done it...

wooosaaa!!!

No speck, no log....

OT

[edit on 14-3-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
People turn away from God now. Some because they can't be bothered, others because they think it is cool and others still who believe that they are so in control of their lives they do not need God. But when they are suffering because the credit crunch means their lives are spiralling out of control or if they are suddenly hit by a car, have liver failure and don't have long to live :bash: etc. they will go straight back to God and beg for forgiveness. Because that is what people do. They fool themselevs into thinking they do not need him but then the day comes when they do need him they expect to be taken straight back. They are lucky he is so forgiving.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cauch1

Excellent points there....I agree we should do it before things go bad....because a relationship with him makes all good things worthwhile...

Thanks for stopping by!

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
....For a believer, perhaps you would realize that this type of thread is neither productive or beneficial.

Its merely stirring the pot. An observation by a fellow believer.

My Apology for calling you a self labeled Anti Christ as I misunderstood the Anti Christian reference. But why fuel the Anti Christian? Why not fuel the will of God?

No problem!!!!

== = = =

There you go!!!

Thanks for taking the time to look things over...

Now, if you would like to discuss/debate how a believer should relate to the world/speak of his message and interact as light in darkness....I'd be glad to....

Watch the Lord Jesus...the Apostle Paul...others...neither shed from conflict...remember the job of light IS TO DISPERSE DARKNESS...note this can only be done IN darkness...otherwise it's pointless...

Ever thought about the implications of John 13:34 and 35 with regard to this? Maybe our conversation on this particular subject should have been private???? but you let the cat out...now we'll have to do this civilily/openly...ru ready?

OT
Phil 1:3

[edit on 14-3-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
Ever thought about the implications of John 13:34 and 35 with regard to this? Maybe our conversation on this particular subject should have been private????

Enough so to change my entire view of the world...

As for our conversation...enough said.

It is in such a manner, that the unbeliever reads scripture, taking a bit here, and a bit there out of context, and making an arguement not of the original context.

It was of this trap, that the unbeliever presents in quoting scripture in parcel, that I errored in responding to your OP OT.

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by HIFIGUY

These types of presentations and conversations are the TYPE that Christ used....to me atleast on how I interpret scripture...

Parables, object lessons, using the scene around him, to make a biblical point...agree?

Paul went into the GREEK philosopical world and used philosophy...

OT's going into the conspiracy world using creativity to gather some attention/questions/etc...

If you could see the type U2U's I get every thread...you'd be convinced this is of pure motives...and I pray of God!

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Cauch1

People turn away from God now. Some because they can't be bothered, others because they think it is cool and others still who believe that they are so in control of their lives they do not need God. But when they are suffering because the credit crunch means their lives are spiralling out of control or if they are suddenly hit by a car, have liver failure and don't have long to live etc. they will go straight back to God and beg for forgiveness. Because that is what people do. They fool themselevs into thinking they do not need him but then the day comes when they do need him they expect to be taken straight back. They are lucky he is so forgiving.

I hate to rain on your parade, but perhaps your statement has no factual basis. When I first discovered disbelief in Christ, I was at my lowest financial point and afflicted with a disease that threatened my life. Maybe these circumstances you speak of can drive people either to or from religion.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
What a tough question to answer....well OT...you and I have debated and talked several times. I usually enjoy what you have to say and ask and this is not really any different. Now most of us here know I am a Pagan so we won't even bother starting that. I am truly amazed this hasn't blown up into the typical "God doesn't exist battle"

Now then...am I happy that churches are closing? Well...from a personal perspective...yes. In the same way I am happy if most Pagan churches close. Belief, faith, trust, adoration and love for your deity is more personal than any relationship you will ever have with a spouse (so long as it is true)

Now I know a bit about Christianity and one thing I feel somewhat confident in is that God didn't want his flock to necessarily congregate how they do today. I always viewed a congregation as a small setting of people coming together socially, in the name of God of course, and working on the bible or doing some teaching in the same way the Greek philosophers would sit on a stone tablet and talk.

That's the thing I think some forget about me...

I don't want people to believe in Paganism or Isis...I just want people to believe something((psssst...even if atheism is their ultimate choice)

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

I believe it would be a huge shame to lose churches and belief in god in general, that is until we can create another system through science that can bring with it such good ethics and values.

Currently I cannot conceive a way in which we can make a scientifically based document that people would agree to subscribe to.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
....discovered disbelief in Christ...

What an interesting choice of words...

Could you elaborate?

OT

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero
I don't want people to believe in Paganism or Isis...I just want people to believe something((psssst...even if atheism is their ultimate choice)

-Kyo

Hey there...

Wouldn't it be fair to say...this is already happening?

OT

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAnonUK

Earth is thy mother, Universe thy father, the book of science the only book of revaluations thy require or desire.

That mofos going on my sig

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAnonUK

Hey!

Quit talking to yourself on my thread!

What's the quote mean to ya?

OT

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

I have spoken to chaplains who have served on battlefields and to doctors. People who were atheist before hand suddenly turn to God (although Christian, Jewish etc. doesn't seem to matter) when they are suddenly hit by a bullet or car and aren't going to live as long as they expected.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

Originally posted by KyoZero

-Kyo

Hey there...

Wouldn't it be fair to say...this is already happening?

OT

I could agree with that...it's a horrid shame when people don't have any belief...they just float ignorant...not of religion...of the world itself...their environment..anything

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
I'm not a Christian but I'm sad to see Christian churches close. Many of them, even modest ones, are beautiful pieces of architecture. Over the years, where I live, I've seen some lovely Georgian and Victorian buildings close their doors and then be demolished. Sadly, one particularly ornate example was demolished to make way for the gaudiest mosque imaginable to serve the increasingly large local Muslim population.

"Hey preacher leave those mosques alone" lol

Have to agree, I find it very saddening to see some really lovely stonework ripped down.

I have a laminate floor in the house and I made the edging strips with my router,out of some old flooring boards from an old chapel.

When I cleaned the almost black timber up, from eons of dirt and varnish, it was a gorgeous deep almost red color.

I have echos of probably thousands of pious footprints in my home, kind of ironic really, given my opinion of religion.

What I do find totally ugly is the new square type churches that seem to be popping up with a great big ugly cross chucked on the front.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Very good....I could use all the help I can get here...the skeptics love an OT thread so they can POUNCE

Whatever gave you that idea big boy ?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Here is an interesting thought. The church in christianity is the church of Jesus Christ as allegedly directly handed down to us by Jesus' through his followers, the 1st of those being Peter. If Jesus existed and wanted to start a new religion, then why did he not write anything down? (for example as Moses did the Ten Commandments). The only writing of Jesus that is know is when he would scribble in the sand. Something just does not pass the smell test. I think many are awakening to this. This is why we've got a "church bubble" and many are now folding.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by enragedmaniac
Here is an interesting thought. The church in christianity is the church of Jesus Christ as allegedly directly handed down to us by Jesus' through his followers, the 1st of those being Peter. If Jesus existed and wanted to start a new religion, then why did he not write anything down? (for example as Moses did the Ten Commandments). The only writing of Jesus that is know is when he would scribble in the sand. Something just does not pass the smell test. I think many are awakening to this. This is why we've got a "church bubble" and many are now folding.

That's Roman Catholics you are talking about, by no means does it include ALL churches that believe in Christ.

Do some reading would ya?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman

Very good....I could use all the help I can get here...the skeptics love an OT thread so they can POUNCE

Whatever gave you that idea big boy ?

OT's got big shoulders you know!!

Keep um comin' moo...you know you love it!

Thanks for postin here...

OT sleepy!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join