It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Glad Christian Churches are closing?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I spent half of my life as a Christian and currently subscribe to no religion. I have no particular belief in any religion. As I was exiting Christianity, I briefly studied any other religion that I could. I found no appeal from any and settled comfortably into non-belief. The label athiest fits me in a way, but I think I am different. I am still looking for something to believe in.

Anyways. I am not the least bit glad that Christian churches are closing. I know that many people derive their happiness and sense of purpose from their organized religion. Some churches do good for the community, such as feeding the poor and sheltering the homeless. Although I do not currently believe in anything related to a God, I stand by the right of others to do so and will support their rights to the extent that their beliefs are not forced onto me. I do feel a little sad that people are losing their places to get together and worship as they see fit.

On the other hand, I think differently about a decline in the numbers of Christians. I feel it is the right of any individual to believe in any diety they choose and even go as far to extend that to lack of belief in any diety.

I do not preach my beliefs, but I do enjoy a good intellectual debate with those willing to play nicely.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Thank you,
I hoped I replied correctly. I'm new at this posting stuff and usually just reply to post rather than members. I will catch on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however I have the need to reply to the God bashers or explain it isnt as bad as they think. Also to defend the fact that my beliefs do not make me weak but only stronger. I'm glad a few of us are on the same page.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
I do not preach my beliefs, but I do enjoy a good intellectual debate with those willing to play nicely.

Sweet!

That's what OT does best....

But no now...at least till later tonight!!!

Gotta go!!!!

LIB....yeah, let's talk about fundamentalism....later...the good bad and ugly!!!

Thx all!!!!!!

OT's got to change the oil

[edit on 14-3-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

Yeah...good job!!!!

You'll get the hang of this stuff soon enough...

OT

btw....my close relative is a sniper..eeekkkkk!!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Thanks for th tip. My post was to the person who is glad the churches are closing, doesnt believe in God and calls those of us that do weak. Told you I'm new at this. I'll work on that. I'm on your side Bro! OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld

Thanks for th tip. My post was to the person who is glad the churches are closing, doesnt believe in God and calls those of us that do weak. Told you I'm new at this. I'll work on that. I'm on your side Bro! OT

Very good....I could use all the help I can get here...the skeptics love an OT thread so they can POUNCE

I luv um!!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I am sad,

but we will go back to meeting underground, in private homes, and in secret to avoid persecution, that is what is written.

Storm, Hey! Thanks for the thought!

You really think its that serious? That Christians will have to meet in homes? Underground?

OT

Yea, the church as it stands was not the true way, maybe we can come full circle.

[edit on 123131p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

LIB....yeah, let's talk about fundamentalism....later...the good bad and ugly!!!

Okay. Just let me know when you'd like to. u2u me so I don't miss it, okay? I too can use a little help now and then!

Thanks

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I'd have to say I don't really care one way or the other if churches close. They are a business afterall, in my opinion.

I've experienced religion in various ways, having lived all around the country.

After having lived in the south, and experiencing church with Baptists, I can honestly say, I have never met a bigger bunch of hypocrits in my entire life.

The churches I experienced in the south, were social gatherings, to which people spread rumors about other members, and gossiped. I did not see them contribute to their communities in a healthy way, but only to villify other members. My experience nearly put me off of religion permanently. I saw lot's of backstabbing going on, and few people understood the gospels.

I was raised Catholic, and have found that religion is not keeping pace with modern times and guidance for it's members.

I find it more comforting to spend my time in prayer alone, or only with other people who are in the same mind set.

God will hear my prayers, whether or not I attend a church that does nothing for me, or the community, so why bother?

If people find it comforting to meet at a ridiculously ornate church, as a group to worship, listening to somebody else tell them what to believe, that is fine, but I am outa that scenario!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I think they can close all the buildings they want, and absolve all their financial assets as well, but the Church lives on with our beliefs.

I don't require a Church to believe and the more that close the more I'm convinced that Satan is working against us.

M't:18:20: For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

This thread is a Church.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by B.A.C.]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Appreciate your thoughts...

I, too, like like-minded folks...but

maybe...

you could have helped those hypocrits? Maybe that was YOUR mission....while you were there? I dunno?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by B.A.C.

Appreciate the friend designation!!!

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Yes and no.

Yes I am glad people are waking up to the falsehoods that have been sold in the name of Jesus. All churches will eventually fall.

But at the same time saddened because I know the "default" position from that point isn't the truth, but just another side of the same coin and there wasn't any real change at all. It is part of the process of "waking up" I suppose, and a path I took myself.

To start seeking, one must first stop accepting what is feed to them and look/ask for themselves, so that part is good. But I hope they don't stop searching for answers/truth.

It's kinda like putting a ball on the top of the roof. It has a chance of falling down the good side, and it has a chance of falling down the other side as well. Have to watch and see I guess.

These are people who have rejected what is said about Jesus, now it's a matter of if they come to truly understand what Jesus really meant and said.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

To answere the OP, for what reason would one be glad for the closing of any group or assembly that was truly doing the will of Jesus Christ?

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY

To answere the OP, for what reason would one be glad for the closing of any group or assembly that was truly doing the will of Jesus Christ?

Peace

????

Someone anti-christian???

Sorry I missed your point...

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Sorry I missed your point...

To reiterate:

If you are truly against the will of God, and against the teachings of Jesus Christ, then have you not clarified yourseld as an Anti Christ. You have openly, and publicly chosen to do so.

Do you take glee in this? There is a part of me that thinks more of this statement...

OldThinker, just stirring the pot again?

The answer is yes.

Peace

[edit on 14-3-2009 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by HIFIGUY

I'm sorry-quit the BS!!!

If you would like to contribute, do...if not, get off the thread!

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Peace

Deep breath!!

you asked..."for what reason would one be glad for the closing of any group or assembly "

I answered that question!!!!

I think you meant to ask something else...try again...

I never said I was glad! Are you assuming?

Can you write more? The drive-by posts don't help????

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

If you are truly against the will of God, and against the teachings of Jesus Christ, then have you not clarified yourseld as an Anti Christ. You have openly, and publicly chosen to do so.

???Me...Against the will of God?

???? Me...Against the teachings of Jesus?

Please!!!!!!

U ever visited me threads?

If you come to that conclusion, you the one stirring....a strong drink!

Please take a breath!!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

If you come to that conclusion, you the one stirring....a strong drink!

Self stirred brother..

You were the one who started the thread about being glad churches are being closed. You were the one who asked us if Old Thinker was stirring the pot again..

When you say...

Any thoughts ATS-ers?

Dont ask if you dont want my opinion. Its just that simple.

or...I could have just used your own words.

I'm sorry-quit the BS!!!

Take a look at the spec in your own eye when you start threads like this. For a believer, perhaps you would realize that this type of thread is neither productive or beneficial.

Its merely stirring the pot. An observation by a fellow believer.

My Apology for calling you a self labeled Anti Christ as I misunderstood the Anti Christian reference. But why fuel the Anti Christian? Why not fuel the will of God?

Peace

[edit on 14-3-2009 by HIFIGUY]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join