It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Glad Christian Churches are closing?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I am sad,

but we will go back to meeting underground, in private homes, and in secret to avoid persecution, that is what is written.

Storm, Hey! Thanks for the thought!

You really think its that serious? That Christians will have to meet in homes? Underground?

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
From what I can gather, the church .ie the building type set up, large congregations scene will eventually fade, only to be replaced by what I consider REAL churches of fellowship.

Basically the church will go from a dead ritualistic practice, to a vibrant home brand gathering, small scale, like the early churches of the Book of Acts.

Why?

Because large ritualistic churches stifle the Holy Spirit. Not only that, they do not meet the true needs of the believer in the greatest aspect of faith, ie. Discipleship.

Make no mistake, the churches my be closing, but they will be replaced by home fellowship, which will result in tighter communities, a sounder base of doctrine, accountability and REAL people helping each other grow together, ie. discipleship.

Small group home fellowships can relate to the issues at hand. No more sitting up the back, hiding from view - slipping in and slipping out with no one knowing who you are and what your needs may be. Intimacy and one on one teaching means people will grow much more than sitting up the back listening to someone rattle on for an hour.

Its like private tutoring or small class sizes. The larger the group, the more those miss out. But if you shrink the class size, so pupils get one on one teaching, they learn more. This will be the direction of the future church.

Large congregations can be pretty much ritualistically dead. Going through the motions of "church" on a weekly basis, and people are looking for so much more.
I have often heard people ask "where's the church of old? the miracles, the disciples, like in the Book of Acts?" - "why do we come to church week in week out yet nothing like what happens in the Bible happens in church and in my life?"

A lot of that movement died and was replaced by an organized form of worship and more importantly, teaching. Large scale teaching, which lacks personal accountability, support, growth and true caring friendship.

But if this truly is the "last days" we are witnessing, as prophecy is being fulfilled before our very eyes, then God will equip his believers for the harsh times ahead, but more importantly, the Holy Spirit will have the freedom to work in peoples lives on a more personal level in a small group settings, where miracles, like the days of old WILL take place.

The days of playing church are coming to an end. They will be replaced by a more vibrant, REAL form of discipleship, growth and sound foundations. Bearing fruit, meeting the needs of real people, in real settings.

Am I glad churches are closing?

If it means we return to the churches of the Book of Acts - absolutely!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
reply to post by OldThinker

I think there is a direct correlation between the current meltdown and closing of churches. .....

As a general theme, religion to me is a series of fables woven together and galvanized over centuries across camp fires and battle fields.....

OK on point one....

No way on point two...no time now to "get into" it noe....but I'll be up for that early this week....if you would like?

There is more evidence the God is real and the Bible is true that ATS's got bandwidth!

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Any thoughts ATS-ers?

Maybe the churches are closing because more and more people are waking up to the fact that God does not exclude anyone based on their religion? Or, to put it another way: God is not prejudiced.

Fundamental Christian churches teach a doctrine of exclusivity and prejudice.

Prejudice and exclusivity begets hate and attitudes of superiority.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

[Most of the churches in my area do not offer such services.

??

Most perspectives are a by-product, so I'm gonna let that one go....

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Some churches are just as you say. Some use it as a social setting, wearing their finest clothes. I can scope out a church a mile away. The true intention is to benefit the believer. Many who attend church will not be saved. What is taught to children is don’t steal, kill, honor your mother and father etc. I don’t quite grasp what you have against good morals? Kids now days don’t have a positive direction in life and head to the streets to learn their values. Which is worse?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
When I see people make statements similar to the comments you quoted in your OP, I feel a level of sympathy and sadness because more often than not, the person posting such a thing is ignorant of the facts refuting their claims.

Yes, you know AshleyD...it hurts my heart...more than can be communicated by my 'lacking' writting-skills...I guess you are right prayer is the only way....

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
I heard quite the opposite. After September 15th when Lehman brothers were allowed to fail and the DOW dropped 777 points (does that number ring a bell) that church attendance increased two fold. Spam sales hit a record high, due to its 50 year shelf life. Survivalists kicked in to full gear. It is government fear mongering that controls the masses not religion, unless you want to run out and kill your neighbor. God only has a few rules. The word religion to too broad and has branched off in every direction; however there is only one God. You’ll never know if your mind is closed to the possibility. Churches may close however Church attendance is not required to believe in God. I’m a gun bearing ready to fight warrior, does that meet your criteria of being weak?

wooooo girl!!!

Good points!!!!

Nice eyes too

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I just realized I didn't answer your question: Am I glad that churches are closing?

I'm ambivalent about it. I tend to think that if Christ's teachings were followed that no church buildings would have ever been built. And, then, if his teachings had been followed, this earth would already be paradise.

But, since it happened that Christ's teachings weren't followed, and we are faced with what is... the only way that I can be glad is that there is less prejudice and exclusivity being taught.

At the same time though, maybe at least a little of Christ's message comes through as a result of attending church for those who may actually make the effort to read the words in red for themselves... and to FIRST seek the kingdom before doing and saying anything else.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Burginthorn
The days of playing church are coming to an end. They will be replaced by a more vibrant, REAL form of discipleship, growth and sound foundations. Bearing fruit, meeting the needs of real people, in real settings.

Am I glad churches are closing?

If it means we return to the churches of the Book of Acts - absolutely!

WOW!

Very good post....well thought through!

Days of the PLAYING church gone.....aahhhh, "on to something, I say there!"

Sorry for the Yoda impression...

I would like to discuss more of the meat of your post, I'm just trying to keep up right now....if I may I'll get back with you, ok?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
There is more evidence the God is real and the Bible is true that ATS's got bandwidth!

OT

But there is very little evidence to suggest which interpretation of God is right. (Hence my shpeel about right and wrong)

Im not saying there is no God, because quite frankly I've had experiences in my life which lead me to believe there is a creative force at work in the universe. What I am saying is that I do not believe we have the necessary faculties as humans to interpret what God actually is: whats its goals are, what its purpose is, whether it is an emotional being or one of strict logic.

Further, I do not believe Humans will ever understand God in such an intimate way because I do not believe that is our purpose here. Which is one reason i believe we have become so divided and jaded as a species.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
Some churches are just as you say. Some use it as a social setting, wearing their finest clothes. I can scope out a church a mile away. The true intention is to benefit the believer. Many who attend church will not be saved. What is taught to children is don’t steal, kill, honor your mother and father etc. I don’t quite grasp what you have against good morals? Kids now days don’t have a positive direction in life and head to the streets to learn their values. Which is worse?

ww,

????

Please say in your post...WHO you are addressing ok?

Who is against good morales?

Thank you

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Churches offering, or not offering, services to the poor is not a matter of perspective, its a matter of fact. The churches in my area, simply do not host such services. They may donate to other foundations that do offer them, but they are in no direct connection with the poor.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by L.I.B.

Any thoughts ATS-ers?

Maybe the churches are closing because more and more people are waking up to the fact that God does not exclude anyone based on their religion? Or, to put it another way: God is not prejudiced.

Please explain this post ok?

Is not TRUTH awfully predudice?

Is not TRUTH exclusive?

I dunno?

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

Yeah we are divided and jaded...don't have to be though...

In my many years...my faith experience....has been nothing but united and loving...and my head is not in the sand...

Thanks inspiteof!!!

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Just a quick thought, a wrench in the cogs so to speak; what if the God forces as we know it, created all organized religion, spoke to all of the prophets, and purposely sent them mixed messages, contradictions, and misleading concepts?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Of course we dont have to be so jaded, but we as a species are. Its part of the human condition we have created for ourselves. Its a point of definition, somewhere in between ruthless and cruel.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

That is an entirely different topic that would derail the OPs original question of Are You Glad Christian Churches are closing? I think, in respect to the OPs thread topic, such a question could have its own thread or maybe a PM to the OP.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

Originally posted by L.I.B.

Any thoughts ATS-ers?

Please explain this post ok?

OT

Hi, OT,

What is that you don't understand? How I see that there is exclusivity and prejudice promoted by fundamental Christianity? Let me know.

Is not TRUTH awfully predudice? Is not TRUTH exclusive? I dunno?

Truth is beautiful, simple, divine, and I believe, absolute.

I do not find it to be prejudiced or exclusive as the type of Truth that I am thinking of allows the existence of relative truths... that which might be found operating under the heading of free will.

Additionally, this Truth has a plan which allows all to come to it in their own time and under their own volition.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Just a quick thought, a wrench in the cogs so to speak; what if the God forces as we know it, created all organized religion, spoke to all of the prophets, and purposely sent them mixed messages, contradictions, and misleading concepts?

OK OK

Your questions warrant more time than I have right this specific moment....but I am honored to address them in a day or so...

Keep um coming...they are excellent!!!!

OT

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join