It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Glad Christian Churches are closing?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Why are churches dying?

= = = = = =

“Religion is for the weak!”

“Religion is to control the masses!”

“Science disproves God because there is no proof!”

“The Bible is full of errors!”

I read each of those statements here on ATS…and with the recent survey here… religions.pewforum.org...# … could the church as we know it be dying?

Does that excite you or disappoint you? Other news from this survey indicate that…

More from the link...

More than one-quarter of American adults (28%) have left the faith in which they were raised in favor of another religion - or no religion at all.

Also...

The survey finds that the number of people who say they are unaffiliated with any particular faith today (16.1%) is more than double the number who say they were not affiliated with any particular religion as children. Among Americans ages 18-29, one-in-four say they are not currently affiliated with any particular religion.

Heck I saw they are closing FOUR dozen churches in one American city alone....4 dozen! See... www.woio.com... unchPageAdTag=News%20-%20Hard%20News&activePane=info&rnd=30602414

And what's up with Glen Beck's fearmongering for Christians? This atheist website says he's an idiot and that GOD IS FOR SUCKERS!

Link: gods4suckers.net...

A lil' blurb...

This guy has to be one of the biggest asshats on the planet, and is interviewing another superstitious asshat, Jim Dobson. Dobson’s take on the constitution is outrageous! Our “rights”, he says, come from Gawd, not government because he says Gawd doesn’t take our rights away, but the state can. Beck says that atheists are “stealing America” and that even though (he claims) 90% of the country believes in a magical sky boss, we atheists are “pushing around” Xians and “forcing our beliefs on Xians”. Boy does this dude have things ass-backwards! And while we atheists and secular humanists are merely upholding the Constitution and the Separation of Church and State, he says that we are the ones “boo-hooing” about god beliefs being expressed in public. Beck conveniently leaves out the fact that judges who are god botherers who understand the laws of the land are the ones upholding the Constitution and the ones making the rulings in favor of Separation of Church and State, as they should

As a believer should I be scared? Or did OT have too much Popa John's last night?

OldThinker, just stirring the pot again?
or maybe that ole' fisherman Peter was right when he said, "knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of Jesus' 2nd. coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.” 2 Peter 3:3-7

hmmm??????

Any thoughts ATS-ers?

[Mod Edit - profanity]
Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14/3/2009 by Sauron]

[edit on 14-3-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
people will pray again. the crisis is coming!!

and seriously,does it really matters that they do belive or not? I am happy cause I do. and they have to decide for themself. peace

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Also, I found some other statistics about church closings... here... www.goodmanson.com...

Here's an excerpt...

American church statistics1 have reported:

· In America, 3500 – 4000 churches close their doors each year

· Half of all churches last year did not add one new member through conversion growth

· Churches lose an estimated 2,765,000 people each year to nominalism and secularism

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by czacza1
....does it really matters that they do belive or not? ....

Hi czacza1,

Welcome!

What do you mean by this question? Are you sayings an individual's belief can't change the future events? Or its no big deal what people believe?

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Churches hardly represent the global religious feelings of the worlds citizenry.

Am I glad they are closing? No, that means less solace offered to desperate people in a desperate time. But I'd rather see a communities church close, than the homes that make up said community become property of a bank.

I doubt this will be the end of organized religion. Though it would be nice to see the people of the world take on a more personal approach to spirituality.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
Churches hardly represent the global religious feelings of the worlds citizenry.

Am I glad they are closing? No, that means less solace offered to desperate people in a desperate time. But I'd rather see a communities church close, than the homes that make up said community become property of a bank.

I doubt this will be the end of organized religion. Though it would be nice to see the people of the world take on a more personal approach to spirituality.

inSpiteof....

you mention the financial crisis many are experiencing....and it is sad for sure...you think the church closings could be more financial-based, than a changing world view of spirituality...or the other way around?

Probably not either / or right?

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Very recent survey/results here... from the BARNA Group... www.barna.org...

Highlights include...

Overall, the current research revealed that only 9% of all American adults have a biblical worldview.

Only 9 percent????

Thoughts?

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm not a Christian but I'm sad to see Christian churches close. Many of them, even modest ones, are beautiful pieces of architecture. Over the years, where I live, I've seen some lovely Georgian and Victorian buildings close their doors and then be demolished. Sadly, one particularly ornate example was demolished to make way for the gaudiest mosque imaginable to serve the increasingly large local Muslim population.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Christianity is a fabricated religion. I can recommend some good reading on the subject; The Crucifixion of Truth by Tony Bushby.

That being said however, there are good things associated with believing in a religion. It's difficult for a person when they find out that the religion that they and their ancestors have followed is a sham. I'm not sorry to see some of these churchs close, but I am concerned about what they are being replaced with. In many cases the government replaces religion and that is frightful. In other cases secular humanism or environmentalism becomes the person's new religion. It appears that other hoaxes are taking the sheep now. It is unclear where we are headed now but many think that removing religion is a goal of the One World Order conspirators.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
I'm not a Christian but I'm sad to see Christian churches close. Many of them, even modest ones, are beautiful pieces of architecture. Over the years, where I live, I've seen some lovely Georgian and Victorian buildings close their doors and then be demolished. Sadly, one particularly ornate example was demolished to make way for the gaudiest mosque imaginable to serve the increasingly large local Muslim population.

Great point there!!!

The church has contributed to Architecture in great ways...see... www.oldandsold.com...

Thanks for your thoughts...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by enragedmaniac
Christianity is a fabricated religion. I can recommend some good reading on the subject; The Crucifixion of Truth by Tony Bushby.

That being said however, there are good things associated with believing in a religion. It's difficult for a person when they find out that the religion that they and their ancestors have followed is a sham. I'm not sorry to see some of these churchs close, but I am concerned about what they are being replaced with. In many cases the government replaces religion and that is frightful. In other cases secular humanism or environmentalism becomes the person's new religion. It appears that other hoaxes are taking the sheep now. It is unclear where we are headed now but many think that removing religion is a goal of the One World Order conspirators.

Dude!

Not sure where to begin....your post is a reflection of your name bro...

I'll check out the link....although it would take a few earthquakes to change OT's belief...check out profile man!

As to the rest of your post, you make some deep, wise comments....would love to hear them fleshed out sometime...

There is a lot going on in the head of yours....btw....welcome to ATS!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

I see your point, and yes, I do belive that the personal belifes can change the future global events.

but frankly, I do not have big hopes for a future of our civilazation. and what I meant was that I am not going to teach others what they should or should not belive. missions are accomplished.

greetings amigo

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

OldThinker, I have to admit I haven't done the research, but I would certainly question that only 9% of Americans have a Christian worldview.
As you know, surveys can be skewed according to the way the questions are framed. So it depends on who you ask, how you ask, even the mood of the person being asked.
What a lot of posters on ATS who are agnotstics or atheist don't realize is that a church is more than a place for people who share common beliefs to come together to worship. It is a community, a group of people who are there for each other, and for those less fortunate. Churches do outreach work to the larger community, offering a place for kids to come after school, or to provide relief to the poor.
When whe had the devestating ice storm recently, several churches in my town opened their doors to provide shelter for those who had no heat, no lights, and no way to prepare food. These communities within communities provide valuable support in a thousand varied ways.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
....Many of them, even modest ones, are beautiful pieces of architecture. Over the years, where I live, I've seen some lovely Georgian and Victorian buildings close their doors and then be demolished.

Art and Music too Merriman Weir...

The influence of Jesus on art, music, and literature is enormous. For example, the Christian faith has influenced literature in such Christian writers such as Dante, Chaucer, Donne, Dostoevsky, Shakespeare, Dickens, Milton, etc.

Had Jesus never been born, music would likely sound very different from what we're used to. There may never have developed the cantata, the concerto, or the symphony. Handel, Vivaldi, and Bach were Christians who worked to honor God with their work. Bach, for example, signed all his works with Soli Deo Gloria ("Solely to the glory of God").

Art has likewise been magnificently impacted by Jesus. While much modern art seems to debase the human spirit, classical Christian art tries to bring out the best of mankind--pointing us to a higher plane. This is certainly a tribute to Jesus.

And think of all the incredible architecture through the years. Especially noteworthy are the beautiful cathedrals in Europe.

link: www.faithfacts.org...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith

OldThinker, I have to admit I haven't done the research, but I would certainly question that only 9% of Americans have a Christian worldview.
As you know, surveys can be skewed according to the way the questions are framed. So it depends on who you ask, how you ask, even the mood of the person being asked.
What a lot of posters on ATS who are agnotstics or atheist don't realize is that a church is more than a place for people who share common beliefs to come together to worship. It is a community, a group of people who are there for each other, and for those less fortunate. Churches do outreach work to the larger community, offering a place for kids to come after school, or to provide relief to the poor.
When whe had the devestating ice storm recently, several churches in my town opened their doors to provide shelter for those who had no heat, no lights, and no way to prepare food. These communities within communities provide valuable support in a thousand varied ways.

SWEET!

I knew that number would get some interest!!!!

Please go research the Barna Group....they are an extremely credible reliable pole organization....

Maybe it is a matter of degree on the term WORLD VIEW, huh?

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith

That post deserved a second look!!!!!

You are right....CHURCH is a group of PEOPLE...

Not a BUILDING, huh?

After all JC said .... "I dwell not in temples made with hands!" Sorry for the King James

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Why people should be glad Churches are closing?

I am not, why should I be, Church is a choice I don't attend church but I am not going to tell somebody else not too.

Why should I, while Churches help in a way feed the soul for those that need it, obviously I don't but is many people that hope for their soul is all they have, why take that away from them?

Like somebody said people will always pray.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
the real deal is more people are spirtual nowaydays then they are relgious,and rember god dosent have a religon just a spirt.relgion is the rites and rituals that man likes to do not god or jesus,jesus came to teach the spirit and do away with the ritual of religon.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

marg6043,

Excellent balanced point there! "To each his own," I think you're posting?

OT

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
You nail it on the spot my friend, Old thinker, I think the topic is quite interesting and debatable.

I am not a believer of organize religion but I would never tell others either how to exercise their right.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join