It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists a step closer to 'reading minds'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Scientists a step closer to 'reading minds'

www.ft.com

A machine to read the mind came a step closer on Thursday, when scientists at University College London released the results of an experiment in which brain scans revealed the location of people moving around a virtual reality environment.

Demis Hassabis, co-author of the study, said it was “a small step towards the idea of mind reading, because just by looking at neural activity we were able to say what someone was thinking”.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.livescience.com
www.livescience.com

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This, combined with recent research on memory and modification of “bad” memories, points to a “Brave New World” in which mankind loses a little of its humanity and freedom. We are even able to peer into dreams with new methods and devices that were only dreams themselves (or nightmares) a short while ago.

Pictures you are observing can now be recreated with software that uses nothing but scans of your brain. It is the first "mind reading" technology to create such images from scratch, rather than picking them out from a pool of possible images.

Last year researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, showed that they could tell which of a set of images someone was looking at from a brain scan.

To do this, they created software that compared the subject's brain activity while looking at an image with that captured while they were looking at "training" photographs. The program then picked the most likely match from a set of previously unseen pictures.

Now Yukiyasu Kamitani at ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories in Kyoto, Japan has gone a step further: his team has used an image of brain activity taken in a functional MRI scanner to recreate a black-and-white image from scratch.

How long will it be before we are manipulated and monitored without our knowing it, or worse yet, against our will?

www.ft.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I really don't want scientists to be able to read minds. It scares the bejesus out of me as to where that train of research might be heading.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Thats INSANE!!!!!
I hate the whole thing!

no freedom anymore

thanks for the post

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TLMOE
reply to post by Locke 23

What about medical uses for 'comatose' patients who have brain activity?

No need for torture or other extreme measures in the case of POWs.

There can be quite a few uses for such tech that we don't even envision yet. Think of the leap from x-rays to MRIs and PET scans.

deny ignorance

jw

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

You are right but considering the track record of humans if may be used for good at first then turn bad like dynamite that was never intend as a weapon but to aide with construction of buildings but people have used it as one.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply topost by jatsc

Sure, most anything can be turned to a bad purpose, but we shouldn't fear it. Even water it turns out, can be misused for harm.

jw

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
How long will it be before we are manipulated and monitored without our knowing it, or worse yet, against our will?

It's closer than you think. Remember that technology usually outpaces public knowledge by a considerable amount of time...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I think memory shocks' statement rings quite true. We only hear about advanced technologies such as this, years after it's been developped and sometimes years after some agency has been using it.

It's amazing they will write stories about the kind of thing that could potentially lead to even more erosion of our Human Rights. The media today is going down a slippery slope with all of the "revelations" they have been making lately.

I think this idea could potentially make for some wondrous results if applied correctly in the fields of law and medicine, but if developped and put in to the places of TPTB, this could be very dangerous.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
How many of us already carry "smart cards" that reveal much of our private lives without any action on our part, or active consent?

How many cars have RFID tags that allow passive tracking?

We got "there" a long time ago under the guises of "convenience" and "service.'

jw

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Do we really think something like this wouldn't be used for bad?
Really?
Perhaps if we make that quantum spiritual leap that we need to make happen -
but otherwise - it's a dangerous proposition. And is likely already in use.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
[reply to post by spinkyboo

If it's being tested, it's being used. Whoever sponsors these programs always gets first rights to develop and market.

Or, keep them secret.

jw

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
This is utter bull they have been reading my thoughts since 1992, fact since i was at school in london. This is a fact.

These press reports are useless. They have been doing this for years.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I hope they've only read happy thoughts.

Are you worried?

How do you know?

Who are they?

new topics

top topics

join