It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rise From Your Grave!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
If you read that and the voice in your head sounded like the guy from Altered Beast at the beginning of the game, you win. Congrats!

I recently realized something, and the more I've thought about it, the more it's bothered me. In First Corinthians 15:12-18, it is pointed out that if Christ was not risen, Christians are to be pitied more than any other people (click here for the full passage).

That's not what bothers me, though. What bothers me is this: When have you heard a message on the resurrection of Christ at church that wasn't on Easter?

Everyone I have asked that of, myself included, has thought about it, and no one has said they've heard one they can remember outside of Easter. Yet, that is essentially the foundation of Christianity. Yet, when we do preach on it, it is on one of two days a year where most people who never go to church show up. As a result, Easter services are typically dumbed down for people who know very little as to why they call themselves Christian. How can this be a good idea?

Has anyone heard a message that was theologically deep, on the resurrection of Christ and the ramifications of it/evidence for it that didn't take place on Easter? It seems that most of the sermons recorded in scripture all revolve around it. Yet today, we seem to think that it's too obvious or known to waste our time thinking about. I will tell you, I knew all there was to know about David and Goliath until I actually read and studied the passage and realized just how much was in there. The same with Jonah. Those are well known stories that we know so little about because we assume we know everything about them.

So, my question is, why am I wrong in thinking the resurrection needs to be preached a lot more and studied a lot more? I can't be the first one to notice this, so why hasn't this started to happen?

join