It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whispers/Voices- The Mystery of The Forest/Jungle

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Whispers in the Forest. I am sure that many of you know or possibly have heard whispers in the forest. If not here are some videos taken from the TV show LOST which depicts excellent whispers in the Forest/Jungle.

Here are the videos:

Whispers 1

Whispers 2

First hand story accounts told to me seem to have many commonalities. For instance:

1) Commonalities

-Usually happens when a person is by him/herself.
-The whispers are rarely understandable, either very faint or very loud.
-Seems to be in a very odd language.
-The whispers either surround the person or come from one direct area.
-Whispers are often quick or very slow
-Sometimes happens when a person is near death, lost or in a dire situation.

2) Brief of: What does Mythology say?

The Cherokee Legend- THE UKTENA
SOURCE

For days, and then weeks he traveled, until one evening, near the mountain called Gahuti,
He raised his eyes toward the setting sun, and saw the
barren rocks on the mountain's crest.
A chill touched the shaman's heart.
Without knowing why or how, Aganunitsi sensed that his search
was ended.
It was growing colder now,
and as the shaman climbed through the wind and flying leaves,
he felt a chill that had nothing to do with the dying year.
He moved through flickering shadows;
heard the whispers of the invisible ones, the Nunnehi, who are
always with us.

Nymph tale:

Nonnus, Dionysiaca 42. 386 ff :"How the daughter of Ladon [Daphne], that celebrated river, hated the works of marriage and the Nymphe became a tree with inspired whispers, she escaped the bed of Phoibos but she crowned his hair with prophetic clusters."
SOURCE

Occurence At Owl Creek:

Peyton Farquhar's experience in the woods shortly before death, "The wood on either side was full of singular noises, among which - once, twice, and again - he distinctly heard whispers in an unknown tongue." An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge

I could not find a whole lot of stuff on the internet concerning these events, but luckily I have been told, by different people, there experiences of voices in the forests/jungle. But the question is what are they?

3) What are the voices?

Perhaps they are wandering spirits, the trees, the forest or jungle itself, Nymphs, gnomes, or some other creature entirley. Lets go ahead an analyze things:

Gnome

A gnome is a mythical creature characterized by its extremely small size and subterranean lifestyle
SOURCE

Would a gnome risk being seen? Captured? Hurt? or even worse would a gnome try and harm a human? I personally do not think gnomes would do something like that and I personally do not think that a gnome could project his/her voice loud enough to be heard, even for a whisper. But then again, I have never seen one, so I cannot say this for certain.

What about the trees?

The Greek Talking Elm: Philostratus spoke about two philosophers arguing beneath an elm tree in Ethiopia which spoke up to add to the conversation.

The Indian Tree of the Sun and the Moon: Told the future. Two parts of the tree trunk spoke depending the time of day the question was asked; in the daytime the tree spoke as a male and at night it spoke as a female. Alexander the Great and Marco Polo are said to have visited this tree.

Oracular Trees are sometimes attributed with the ability to speak to certain individuals, especially those gifted in divination. In particular, Druids were said to be able to consult Oak trees for divinatory purposes, as were the Streghe with Rowan trees. To what extent these trees could "talk" varies from story to story.

In Ireland a tree may help you look for a leprechaun's gold, although it normally doesn't actually know where the gold is.

In Dante's Inferno, the protagonists (Dante and Virgil) speak with committers of suicide who have been turned into trees in Hell.

The Forest of Fighting Trees in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz attack the Scarecrow. In the 1939 film version trees grab Dorothy and the Scarecrow when she picks an apple from one of them.

Perhaps it is the trees that are doing the talking, maybe they can whisper to eachother and in certain cases people can even hear them. Is it possible?

Nymphs:

In Greek mythology, a nymph is any member of a large class of mythological entities in human form. They were typically associated with a particular location or landform. Others were part of the retinue of a god, such as Dionysus, Hermes, or Pan, or a goddess, generally Artemis.[1] Nymphs were the frequent target of satyrs. They live in mountains and groves, by springs and rivers, also in trees and in valleys and cool grottoes.
SOURCE

Maybe......

The Spirit of the Forest/Jungle

Perhaps it is the spirit of the forest/jungle. The spirit if the forest/jungle has one, could in theory attempt to talk to the soul of a human. Perhaps this is why people do not understand the language and could very well explain why the voices could surround the person.

Very plausible.

What about lost or wandering spirits:

Perhaps lost Spirits of humans who died there in the past, wandering spirits, or perhaps an imprint of an event of old times.

A spirit like this one:

Spirit of the woods

While this is not a whisper or voice in the woods, it shows that when a victim is in danger something seems to always show up in the forest/jungle.

Continued on next post.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Fairies

One common theme found among the Celtic nations describes a race of diminutive people who had been driven into hiding by invading humans. They came to be seen as another race, or possibly spirits, and were believed to live in an Otherworld that was variously described as existing underground, in hidden hills (many of which were ancient burial mounds), or across the Western Sea.

In old Celtic faery lore the sidhe (fairy folk) are immortals living in the ancient barrows and cairns. The Tuatha de Danaan are associated with several Otherworld realms including Mag Mell (the Pleasant Plain), Emain Ablach (the Fortress of Apples or the Land of Promise or the Isle of Women), and one of the most well known Tir na nÓg (the Land of Youth).

Perhaps they are fairies.

Angels

Angels have spoken to many biblical and other non- biblical characters throughout history. Usually an angels will talk to only one person, but on occasion is documented to have spoke to a group of people.

Demons

Demons are highly possible, what better way to tempt or torture a soul then when it is by itself and vulnerable. Its possible and the king of the demons Satan or Lucifer (whichever you may prefer) tempted Eve when she was by herself into eatting the fruit.

God or Satan

It could be possible that God or Satan was the ones talking. As documented and told; God usually speaks in whispers (or at least I believe so), when talking to present day man. Perhaps Satan does the same thing to seem like God, after all we cannot see what we are hearing.

4) So are the voices good? or are the voices bad?

A relevant question. But I would assume that the answer would depend on what the voices were. For instance other scenario's of the voices could be angels, Demons, Satan and even God, its difficult to say. That is up to you.

5) Other theories

Psychological

Well, the first "other" theory should be psychological. When a person is by him/herself there mind could and often will play tricks on you. If you are dehydrated, scared, adrenaline flowing (which increases senses drastically), lost which can lower your hope and spirit, which makes you sort of hallucinate or a small sense of shock.

Other unknown psychological illnesses can cause this and a psychological position (especially stressful ones) could cause other unwanted psychological issues.

Other people

Of course! The most Obvious! Hunters, poachers, and other hikers or journeymen could be the voices being heard, that is almost certainly a possibility. But then why, would no one approach someone who is screaming for help in the middle of jungle, woods, or forest? Poachers actually love prisoners (and not in a good way), hunters are always helpful to those who need it and a fellow hiker or journeymen would help, unless they are cruel. Its possible.

Unknown Creature/s

Its certainly possible that some sort of bug could be prodcuing voices or whispers, much like grasshoppers or even beatles. Its a possibility, but I'm not sure, while it sounds like a very sound theory, it just does not seem right.

The whsipers

Are they good? What are they? Why do they occur?

I hope this helps those who were interested in this type of event. I also hope that this has opened a new doors in other peoples minds to become interested in this type of event. Its a very interesting phenomena that deserves its own respect. So simply put, what are they? That my friends is up for you to decide.

Also please if you have your own theory, POST it, don't hesitate and think twice about it.

Peace,
~TheMythLives

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Perhaps a sound bleed over from one of the 11 dimensions that ajoin the one we reside in.

Sort of like hearing the neighbors talking from next door.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Sound bleeding very interesting, could be a possibility. I have never heard of that before, thanks for the added knowledge.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Wow ...nice digging there Myth ..you never cease to amaze me with the amount of homework you do .

I have a true story about plants .I have always been able to hear people or the thoughts of others (what they arnt saying) ....but one time I had plants all over the house (I do not have a green thumb so this was my first plants) ...I never watered them .And after about two weeks without water ..when I passed by them everyday I would swear that I heard them begging me to feed them.And this was not in my mind because it would even happen when I was busy and not even noticeing the dying plants .I would water them and a few weeks later I heard them again .....It was creepy ...and I did not like the fact that I could hear them pleading for me to water them ...it made me feel so guilty ..

I know that every thing is a LIVING ENTITY ...and they all have their own language like we do ...and we really are all connected to eachother (all from the earth) like we are spiritually to God .... so it would not surprise me one bit that plants can talk and sometimes we humans are spiritually open to hear them ......

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
At another message board I had a conversation with vegetarians ...I eat meat and we even butcher our own (we live in texas) and they could not understand how we could kill something to eat it .I brought up to them that even vegetables have been killed to be eaten because they are like an animal (a living entity) and how do they know that plants dont have feelings too and can feel pain etc ...I asked them to imagine how much that would hurt to have their head chopped off or stalk ripped out of the ground ...etc .......I said how do you know they are not screaming in pain as that happens ...and how is killing to eat vegetables any different than killing and eating meat ...

They did see my point ....but
It almost made them not want to eat meat or vegetables ever again lol ...
I felt the same way after even thinking about it ....

Scripture says if we didnt praise God ..the rocks would cry out and praise him ....even rocks are from a living cell from the earth (dust) .....so it has life too .

[edit on 13-3-2009 by Simplynoone]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Thank you for bringing this up. I have experienced this before on a few occasions, and yes it was always very isolated, and I was alone. I always chalked it up as my mind forming the"whispers" from the wind or breeze through the leaves and such. I also would experience this in my grandmothers house, at night when there was virtually no background noise or sound pollution. Always very quiet and still. And was as, like you said, hearing someone in another room, or a group of people.

I always felt that house was haunted as well.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
"The Secret Life Of PLants" by Peter Tompkins is an excellent book giving information and experimental evidence about the consciousness of plants. Showing that infact they do show signs of environmental awareness and even being used as a lie detector. A very interesting booked backed up with lots of evidence pointing to the fact that they are very much alive and conscious.

A link to the book on Amazon

www.amazon.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
WOW, very interesting and you have obviously put a major amount of time and effort into the thread! I am impressed with your compiling of lots of various information!

I have never thought about whispers of nature before....... and had never heard of that before.

It is an interesting concept.............. again very impressed with your OP and the time you took to put it together for all of us, to consider.

S and F for you

[edit on 14-3-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
You can't understand the whispers because they're spoken in reverse, and they are from dead spirits. That's all I'm going to say.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
When I was a young girl I used to spend hours, alone, in our local woods as it was somewhere I felt really safe and secure.

I had a favourite tree that I used to c limb and then lie on a branch, hidden amongst the other branches and leaves. I used to hide up there for hours just watching any passers by and I loved when they stopped and looked all around - they could feel me watching them but had no idea where I was and no-one ever looked up.

I loved being in that particular tree and I used to talk to it, tell it secrets, etc, and I swear it used to answer me. Not in a conventional sense of speaking out loud but just that I could feel what was being said. Sometimes I used to play games and ask it to move a particular branch if it was really the tree speaking and most of the time that particular branch would move. I also used to try and hear messages as the leaves moved in the breeze.

I didn't hear whispering but I knew I wasn't alone - as a child I thought it was the fairies and I was always very careful not to upset them. I used to bring them ribbons and things and I always said thank you for sharing their tree, when I left.

Sounds crazy now, as an adult, but that tree and those woods did make me feel safe and secure and I just knew everything there was alive and I suppose I fed off that energy. By the way, my friends used to hate going to the woods because they thought they were scary and dark but to me it was a magical place. As a child my friends often called me weird and strange. Adults used to say I had an over active imagination! I experienced lots of different things as a child and they never scared me but scared people around me, if I spoke about them.

Now as an adult I take my children and dogs to local woodland and it's still like stepping into another world. Sometimes I get quite frustrated that I can't 'hear' the trees anymore and often ask them to prove that it wasn't my imagination when I was a child. I wish I hadn't grown out of what I used to experience but it seems the trees won't talk to me now or maybe it's just that I can't hear them now.

Your thread has made it all come back to mind in vivid colour and I'm feeling quite nostalgic now. If I remember more I'll definitely post the information here.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Much thanks to everyones kind words and thoughts. I also appreciate the news theories of plants and I will be sure to have a look at those books. Much thanks to everyone who has and will contribute.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

Awesome................ how wonderful that you have had such a "major" connection with the Earth.......... if only all of us.... would sit back and connect.

I know I love to go barefooted on the Earth.... it is a direct contact..... I also love to take my daughter camping (rustic) and we hike into the woods. The woods are very calming to me..... they do feel magical.... I am teaching my daughter to appreciate nature... and the beauty and wonderment of it!

Very very nice post! Star for You!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Perhaps next time you go to the woods, meditate with her and see if you can here anything or if you want just take a slow walk and keep those ears open, perhaps nature will contact you.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Wow very interesting post. Starred of course.
I really enjoy reading these sorts of things because it really gives you the tools to imagine what our world could really consist of, or how it came to be.

Thanks for posting this.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Very interesting thread!

I've read people were running away from a forest not so far from where I live. They claimed they heard voices, whispers. Some people went there with their dogs for a walk - when they heard the whispers, the dog was scared - was barking and looking at something that just wasn't there.

I'm planning to investigate this area as soon as possible. Any tips on what I should do? Take photographs, record a few movie clips, record sound and ask questions (like "is there anyone here who'd like to say something?")... is something like this safe?

edit - there's another thing these people reported: a feeling someone was following them...

[edit on 14/3/2009 by relu84]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
dude nice post!
Iam a big fan of lost btw

but back to the topic,it all may be psychological,just in the head ,caused by tiredness and all that other stuff
might also be the demon/angels weird spirits
might be souls of the people who've died there,and aint put to rest
But thanks for the post

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I always thought the sounds were the wind and squirrels. I am glad that my house plants don't talk to me - or rather scream at me out of desperation.

Seriously, my grandmother, an old Choctaw, always told stories of things like this. I still go into our woods whenever I need to think or "get away from everything".

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by relu84

I'm planning to investigate this area as soon as possible. Any tips on what I should do? Take photographs, record a few movie clips, record sound and ask questions (like "is there anyone here who'd like to say something?")... is this safe?

Photos, Movie clips and all the above. Start by just walking around and listening and then take it from there. Good luck to ya!

Let us know what you find even if it is nothing.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
double post~deleted

[edit on Mar 14th 2009 by TheMythLives]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join