It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone Cameras

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
One thing I hear a lot anymore, from skeptics in particular, are why no photos are taken. Everyone has cell phones! They call have cameras! Snap a photo for cripes sake.

Well, I have to say, they are absolute junk for taking photos. I tried to take a photo of a UFO today, and there is nothing in the frames I took, I can't even see the thing.

What did I see? Just a white dot in the sky. I had my sunroof open while in a drive-thru, and was watching a jet flying west (over Denver), and thinking ironically of chemtrails (which no, I don't really believe in), and then as I looked back along the line of the contrails, saw a white dot seemingly quite a ways up in the sky, almost motionless. I watched it for several seconds before pulling out my rather new Blackberry Curve, and snapping some photos. I watched it for a bit, it was moving very slowly eastwards, and slightly erratic. This makes me think it was a balloon, and probably a weather balloon, since it was so light colored (white pretty much). I watched it for I dunno, a good 8 minutes while I waited forever to get through the line of cars.

But I tried to aim the lens directly at it. I held it as steady as I could, using the sunroof edge to keep it still. I got nothing (far as I can see, will upload to my PC and zoom in some), it was utterly useless.

I do own a camera, but I keep it at home. I don't keep a camera in my car at all times, I don't feel like getting it stolen, nor toting it around everywhere. So... perhaps folks should ease up on the cellphone camera angle. They are just about useless for real photos. Especially for any object any distance away, which ufos typically are.

Just making a small case for folks who claim to have no photographic equipment handy when encountering the unknown.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Either the story is bogus so taking a cell phone picture is obviously out of the question, or the one telling the story was so overwhelmed by the sighting that they simply did not think of taking out the cell phone and getting a picture.

Most UFO sightings occur unexpected, so unless your specifically looking to catch one on video, chances are quite good that many sightings go un-recorded onto video or in pictures.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
say you do see a ufo racing across the sky. in order to get a cell pic of it, its going to need to be close (a 2mp camera with 3x digital zoom is just going to provide a picture of a couple of blurry boxes), thebpn you have to take out your phone, either press the camera button (if your phone has one) or navigate through menus to get the camera feature working. by the its been a good 30 seconds. Most ufo sightings only last mooments.

And if its night time (as most sightings are) then even if it were right over your house, your still going to get a blurry picture of dark shades.

taking a cell phone pic of a ufo is a terrible idea.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Either the story is bogus so taking a cell phone picture is obviously out of the question, or the one telling the story was so overwhelmed by the sighting that they simply did not think of taking out the cell phone and getting a picture.

Most UFO sightings occur unexpected, so unless your specifically looking to catch one on video, chances are quite good that many sightings go un-recorded onto video or in pictures.

Cheers!!!!

Or, just like in my case, it was a perfect clear day, the ufo was moving very slowly, I had plenty of time to steady my 'camera' and snap shots.. but cell phone cameras are such crap, nothing came out at all.

The aperture, resolution, focus ability and other issues with a cell phone camera make them not much better than once of those little boxes you made in high school, where you uncovered a hole to get an image on a piece of film inside. They are just terrible for taking photos.

As 'common' as video equipment has become, to be quite honest, most people do NOT have a decent camera on their person at all times. I don't take my camcorder with me. I doubt many do. I don't lug my nice camera all over the place. And clearly, cell phone cameras are pretty much crap.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
If you are not willing to take your camcorder with you don't complain about any effort made by others with just a cell phone camera. At least they had something. All you have is whine.

I used to carry a digital camcorder with me whereever I went and was rewarded with a UFO and an airplane in the same footage. Now I carry a lighter digital camera that has a 12X optical zoom. I'm always ready and it's no skin off my back to carry a camera.

The Boy Scouts got it right with their motto: "Be Prepared"

Originally posted by fleabit
-snip-
As 'common' as video equipment has become, to be quite honest, most people do NOT have a decent camera on their person at all times. I don't take my camcorder with me. I doubt many do. I don't lug my nice camera all over the place. And clearly, cell phone cameras are pretty much crap.

new topics

top topics

join