It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Nazis invent the Atomic Bomb?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajesticJax
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

So Hiroshima and Nagasaki were what?

Seriously, I'm not following you.

The city's had been being bombed for weeks before they dropped "the bomb"s on them.

Fire is what destroyed the Cities, not the blasts of New Clear Bombs. The city's look no different then did a village in Poland or France that had had bombing runs done on it. Air raid sirens were sounded shortly before 8:15am, but they shut them off when they only saw 3 planes...supposedly.

It would make sense if Nukes were real though that the Nazi's would of been first in line, after all, how do you think we made our big scary nukes? We gave their scientists two choices. Work for us or spend life in prison....easy choice....were it all real.

Enter Walt Disney who's brother ran the "top secret" hollywood studio that shot all of the "bombing" footage and then later all of the "moon" footage. Disney has been the biggest propaganda tool EVER and just so happens to be the first Conglomerate Corporation. They are literally their own country.

What really happened was just a business transaction. America needed presence and Japan needed money. The deals were struck long before the first dive bomber hit pearl harbor...We gave them a "sneek" attack on our PACIFIC FLEET HEADQUARTERS if they agreed to be the victims of such a Horrible Hoax.

You'll notice no avarice from any Japanese towards the Americans, but rather "Mankind". Americans, Namely Trueman, worked out that they (usa) would not be seen as evil, but rather the weapon.

Remember, leaders are just sitting at desks making deals...we are the ones dieing.

World War is too dibilitating for countries, as where regional wars are very profitable.

Peace

[edit on 13-3-2009 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
There are several historians in Germany and Austria that have been questioning Americas move towards the 'Alpenfestung'.
Patton was halfway up to Berlin, and was then ordered to turn around to destroy a supposed heavy Nazi fortification in the austrian Alps, that was more kin to gross exageration, and disinfo-propaganda by the germans.
None of the allied forces beleived in this bs, but Patton followed orders.
He never made it to the 'Alpenfestung'.
Common history told us, that he marched all the way to the Ens river, and then waited for three days, until the Russians arrived.
The non-mainstream historians did their research, and found out that apparently a small troop of americans crossed the Ens, and met a Nazi SS leader at a secret location now identified as the 'Quarz' Bunker in Roggendorf, by Melk.
Mainstream history has us beleive(?) that it was just another random bunker that was explosively sealed, but some evidence gathered by the 'crackpot'-historians led them to beleive that 'Quarz' was actually an industrial-sized heavy-water distillery. Cheap D2O
The Germans had several brigades stationed around this bunker that apparently had disobeyed orders from berlin. Fallen back to protect germanys' last hope.
What little evidence there still is, seems to point towards an agreement reached between the U.S. and the Nazis at 'Quarz' to go into U.S. pow-status, violating the agreement reached with the Russians (who were to own any pows south of the Ens river.

Now I'm off to find out if there is an english version of the book I read about this. I'm gonna edit my post to reflect the info, should I find it.

EDIT: austrian website, shows book cover with short description (german)
Amazon does not list any english translations

EDIT: english translation of above site

[edit on 2009.3.13 by Carlthulhu]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by spannera

not the fuel.. but more of "the piston" ..
the mercury is spun through a torus shaped tube and the static buildup from the mercury and the metal the tube is made of is harnessed and focused.

-

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The Nazi A-bomb story is discussed in some detail in a thread from the "View from Marrs" forum.

In the page I link to there is an embed of a video about the Nazi bomb.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by ipsedixit
Sources on the a-bomb story are quoted. The most impressive one is from a German pilot who describes something he saw while flying near a test zone of some sort. If you read the description, quoted in The Rise of the Fourth Reich, it sounds very like the familiar mushroom cloud like aftermath of an atomic detonation with the spherical shock wave, and wierd colored clouds.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Carlthulhu

There are several historians in Germany and Austria that have been questioning America’s move towards the 'Alpenfestung.'

The German “Alpenfestung” equals a national redoubt. Generally an area where the remnants of a nation’s forces can withdraw for a final battle. Generally in a region chosen for its favor of defense over offense. The defender’s hope to gain some concession from the conquerors before surrendering.

Patton was halfway to Berlin and was ordered to turn around to destroy a supposed heavy Nazi fortification in the Austrian Alps, that was more kin to gross exaggeration, and disinfo-propaganda by the Germans. None of the allied forces believed in this BS, but Patton followed orders.

Good generals always follow orders. But that should come as no surprise. Patton might have reached Berlin by early April 1945 but for this delay. OTOH, the Russians are said to have lost 500,000 men in the Battle of Berlin which the Soviets wanted to do by themselves. The US lost NONE. I cannot fault either the US, the Germans or the USSR on this one.

The non-mainstream historians did their research, and found out that apparently a small troop of Americans crossed the Ens, and met a Nazi SS leader at a secret location now identified as the 'Quarz' Bunker in Roggendorf, by Melk.

I could not find the “Ens the Americans crossed.” I did find the EMS River, in NW Germany. A river, 335 km long, rising in the Teutoburger Wald and flowing NW into the North Sea near Emden.
www.questia.com/library/encyclopedia/ems_river_germany.jsp

Roggendorf is a municipality in the Nordwestmecklenburg district, in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, generally north of Berlin towards the Baltic Sea.

Quarz Bunker. Hitler had grandiose plans for his bunkers. From 1940 to 1944, there were over 1,000 in Berlin. Included was an extensive network of underground tunnels, with one running from the government sector in Mitte to the airport in Templehof. The 7 km tunnel connected to the famous Führerbunker.
www.roadjunky.com/article/1055/berlin-bunkers-underground-germany

As to the meeting between US forces and SS representatives, I know not of that but anything is possible at that stage of the War. Hitler committed suicide April 30 and Adm. Donitz surrendered unconditionally May 7. Apparently nothing came of the meeting, if indeed there ever was one, and so it is just one more historical anomaly that meant nothing and cannot be verified. It's just another "what-if" story.

Aside: Karl Dönitz (1891 - 1980) was a German naval officer who served in the Imperial German Navy during World War I and commanded the German Navy (Kriegsmarine) during the second half of World War II. In the final days of the war, Dönitz became the President (Reichspräsident) of Nazi Germany. He held this position for about 20 days after the death of Adolf Hitler. After the war, Dönitz was convicted of war crimes at the Nuremberg Trials and served ten years in prison. en.wikipedia.org...

Non-mainstream historians are that - non-mainstream - for a very good reason. They do not meet ordinary journalistic requirements for sources, evidence or sustainable conclusions. Any non-mainstream historian can become mainstream by offering convincing proof what he is alleging meets the standard criteria required to be a mainstream historian.

Following World War 2, the National Police Gazette carried a number of stories describing how the high ranking Nazis had escaped to South America. It also featured stories about the Nazi sub that sank with a load of gold. The NPG was old, having been founded in 1845, but it fell on hard times and became mostly what is called a tabloid today. As in National Enquirer. It discontinued publication in 1982.
en.wikipedia.org...

There was the long running story about the submarine laden with gold destined to Sao Palo. It was supposedly sunk just after departing Germany. It may be the same sub which is the subject of Norway's government in 2009. The Nazi submarine is loaded with mercury - quicksilver - that sank off its shores in 1945 that poses an environmental hazard.

The U-864 German sub was torpedoed in the North Sea on February 9, 1945 by the British submarine HMS Venturer. All 73 sailors on board were killed. Broken in two, the vessel now lies on the seabed at a depth of 150 meters. The wreck has been leaking several kilo of mercury a year, an insoluble pollutant. We may soon learn if this is the fabled gold bearing sub.
www.toytowngermany.com...

What little evidence there still is, seems to point towards an agreement reached between the US and the Nazis at 'Quarz' to go into US POW status which violated the agreement reached with the Russians (who were to own any POWs south of the Ens river.

At the risk of repeating myself, you said it all with “what little evidence there is” and it turns out there is no evidence. Yes, the US was looking for anyone in Germany who worked in theoretical fields of all sorts. And looking back, we won that race with the Soviets!

Aside: The Yalta Conference was the last wartime meeting of the Big 3. It ran from February 4, 1945 to February 11, 1945 at the Black Sea resort, Yalta. Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin met there to draw the boundaries for post-War Europe. Roosevelt died on April 12, just 60 days after the end of the conference.

Yalta is a city in Crimea, southern Ukraine, on the north coast of the Black Sea. The Yalta Conference was held at the Livadia Palace. The population of Yalta was 80,500 in the 2001 census.
en.wikipedia.org...

The Potsdam Conference was held at Cecilienhof, the home of Crown Prince Wilhelm Hohenzollern, in Potsdam, Germany, from July 16 to August 2, 1945. Japan surrendered August 15, not altogether unconditionally as we say. The paper work was signed in Tokyo Bay on September 2. This was the last conference of the War leaders.

By this time Truman had replaced Roosevelt and in the middle of the Conference, Clement Atlee replaced Churchill who lost the election largely due to his opposition to the National Health Service. Mainly, Potsdam was intended to discuss the re-establishment of the nations conquered by Germany, primarily in eastern Europe.
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 3/14/2009 by donwhite]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
What I learned is...

Kind of. The Germans had the plans for the Atomic bomb but because of spies in the Axis, the US was able to steal the plans and use it to their advantage.

A bit like Star Wars IV: A New Hope if you think about it...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to
post by darkclaw1256

What I learned is...Kind of. The Germans had the plans for the Atomic bomb but because of spies in the Axis, the US was able to steal the plans and use it to their advantage.

You may enjoy reading about Admiral Wilhelm Canaris, Chief of the Abwehr, the military intelligence organ of Nazi Germany. His story is as exciting as you can ever find in real life. He was his own double agent. He was strongly anti-Nazi but fate put him in charge of the Abwehr which earned the reputation in WW2 as being effective and a good source fo intel to Adolph Hitler, the man Carnais hated.

Once Enrico Fermi explained it to us, anybody “knows” how to make an atom bomb. Uranium is a metal. You must have about 2 kilo of nearly pure U235, about the size of a golf ball. You carefully machine the ball in two separate pieces. Once you combine the 2 halves, you have the Critical Mass which is the source of a near-instantaneous chain reaction. In just a few thousand microseconds the entire golf ball size piece of uranium fissions and is consumed. This would produce an explosion equivalent to somewhere between 15 and 20 kilotons of TNT.

The trick in making the bomb is how do keep the 2 pieces apart until the moment you want to detonate the bomb. You must bring the 2 pieces of metal together fast enough to melt the surfaces of each so the two parts merge into one part. But, too fast, and the parts break up into pieces. No bomb. Or too slow, the parts don’t merge, but just sit there, side by side. No bomb. Oak Ridge produced the uranium but it was Los Alamos that “made” the bomb. And it was J. Robert Oppenheimer who was the PIC. Person in charge.

I really don’t think the Germans had the slightest knowledge how to assemble a working nuclear weapon. You don’t need that until you have several kilos of pure uranium. Germany never even tried to accomplish that. Yes, the German physicists knew what made an atom bomb, but not how to make it.

See HITLER'S SPY CHIEF: The Wilhelm Canaris Mystery (Cassell) (Paperback) By Richard Bassett.
www.amazon.com...=pd_bxgy_b_text_b
www.canaris.dk...
intellit.muskingum.edu...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
The mercury carried by U-864 bound for Japan was for the manufacture of (conventional) explosives. There may be a confusion here with U-234 which was captured while carrying uranium oxide to Japan. Interestingly, the sinking of U-864 is the only occasion where a submerged submarine has been intentionally sunk by another submerged submarine.
As to the German atomic programme, the scientists were hampered by several factors. They lost members of their team who fled Nazi persecution and ended up contributing to the US bomb programme and some others of their team had been drafted into the military. They suffered from underfunding as, under the bizarre system of Nazi ministries, they came under the ministry of Education. Also, Hitler had developed a pathological hatred of Einstein and what he called 'Jewish physics'.
'Thanks to the insane hate of the leadership we allowed ourselves to lose a weapon of decisive importance.If, instead of backing the - in the final analysis - ineffective rockets with hundreds of millions, we had devoted them to supporting atom research from the start, it would have been more useful for the war.'
- Albert Speer, 1953
Speer also pours scorn on the idea that Heisenberg deliberately slowed the rate of research for ideological reasons. Nils Bohr also doubted that this was the case after Heisenberg's attempt to 'recruit' him in Copenhagen in 1941.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
To be honest I think that the Nazis knew way more about alot of things, which we would not know of today if they wouldn't have leaked somewhere.
- Think about Stealth bombers. The specific colour, which absórbs radar waves, is something the nazis started exerimenting with during WWII. After the war Information about this experiment (including the scientists who worked on it) were shipped to the States under "Operation Paperclip".
- There are numerous Stories about so called "Motorstopmittel"
(More: Motorstoppmittel)
just to name a few.
Having these aspects of Nazi-warfare in my brain, I do think that they were capable of way more, than they are acknowledged for

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Another thought would not be the A-bomb but the development of their "Foo Fighters"

en.wikipedia.org...

Whereas the Mercury is needed in large amounts for the lift and propulsoin drives-

en.wikipedia.org...
[edit] Unified Field Theory research in WWII
Near the end of WWII the Nazi war effort was turning to ever more outlandish projects to provide a weapon that could turn the tide. One of these was the so-called Nazi Bell, located in an underground mine, with a ring of "heavy duty testing pillars" directly above [5][6](however later research has shown that these were simply supports for a cooling tower)[citation needed]. The device is reported to have been made of two stacked counter-rotating cylinders of mercury with bismuth alloy cores exposed to a high radio-frequency field. The scientists working on the device were trying to create a magnetic monopole based on the first incarnation of Albert Einstein's never-completed Unified Field Theory. Remnants of the testing rig and nearby power station solely used to power it remain to this day, however the Bell itself is gone. In an interview with John Dering, americanantigravity.com claims that SARA, a California-based defense contractor, successfully replicated the Nazi Bell on a small scale but subsequently shelved the project when major sources for funding failed to materialize. However the site also claims that it is likely 'Black Ops' in the US took the Nazi Bell in Operation Paperclip and recently used knowledge gained from it to create a triangular anti-gravity based craft known as the TR-3B[5]. This craft is supposed to work on a mercury plasma accelerated in a toroid and exposed to high radio-frequency fields but manages to negate only 89% of its mass and gravitational force. It is worthy to note that while a gravitational dipole (a bump in the gravity well) is said to be behind these effects it is unexplained as to why mass is also cancelled - but by the same token it has never been explained in conventional physics why gravitational mass and inertial mass are equal.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
My understanding is that German scientists grasped the theory behind A-bomb construction but were in reality extremely far away from actually building a bomb. Hitler spread out his scientists among too many projects and did not dedicate the money and resources to the project for a serious attempt. In contrast The Manhattan project was one of the largest scientific projects of all time, In a country with vast resources which was not being bombed on a daily basis.

What uses in war time would 67 tons of mercury/quicksilver have? Someone mentioned conventional muntitions. How so? Are there any other uses?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Pakd-on-mystery

To be honest I think that the Nazis knew way more about a lot of things, which we would not know of today if they wouldn't have leaked somewhere. Think about Stealth bombers. The specific colour, which absorbs radar waves, is something the Nazis started experimenting with during WWII.

I suppose we can assume white is more reflective than black. As to whether it is the color itself that is stealthy or the materials out of which the applied coat or cover is made is the real key to stealth, I’m in favor of the latter over the former. WW2 Navy planes were painted blue on the top and white on the bottom. But I think it is ANGLES that add to stealth. See F117A. en.wikipedia.org...

See also the B2 bomber. en.wikipedia.org...

There are numerous Stories about so called "Motorstopmittel" (More: Motorstoppmittel) just to name a few. Having these aspects of Nazi-warfare in my brain, I do think that they were capable of way more, than they are acknowledged for.

The Germans did have the first operational jet fighter plane in service in WW2. But that was no F16. It used 2 jet engines because A) the engines were of low thrust and 2) the engines frequently quit in flight. Having 1 to get home on was good insurance. All early jet engines of whatever country suffered from compressor stall. A condition brought on when any jet plane pointed its nose up or nose down or made a sharp turn. The sudden change - reduction - of airflow into the jet’s air intake lowered the air flow volume from the level prevailing in horizontal flight. The compressor was still spinning at a high rpm but not having a sufficient air supply. When the air supply failed, the engine flamed out. Early jets were not good at restarting while airborne. In other words, a working Messerschmitt Me262 was deadly, but most of them did not work much of the time.

The Brits argue the Gloster Meteor was first but it was not used in real air to air combat as the Me262 was. The Meteor entered RAF squadron service beginning in July 1944. The Meteor was no faster than contemporary piston-engine fighters at high altitude, but unlike them it retained its speed at low altitude, and so was pressed into service to intercept German V-1 flying bombs that summer.

Flying Officer "Dixie" Dean scored the Meteor's first kill, against such a missile, on 4 August 1944. Dean, his cannons having jammed, maneuvered his aircraft under the wing of the flying bomb to throw it off guidance and into the ground. Another Meteor pilot, Flying Officer J. Roger, shot down another flying bomb later that day with his cannons, and a total of 13 kills were scored with cannon fire into August, when the flying-bomb attacks ceased.
www.wingweb.co.uk...

Conclusion.
Let’s assume there were men with money backing Hitler from the beginning. I don’t have the dates here but shortly after he got out of prison he was able to either buy or take over the moribund political party named the National Socialist Workers Party. I have asked myself, “Why would Hitler buy or resurrect an abandoned political party rather than stating one of his own?” My answer to my own question is: Perhaps German law required the founders to identify themselves. To acquire an existing party might avoid the disclosure of names not wanting the publicity.

Every leader has people around him. They are usually a mix of politicos or astute political types, knowledgeable people who can offer insights quickly and reliably on issues and people who have money or who have access to money - remember money is said to be the “milk of politics.” I doubt this has changed since the time of the Egyptian pharaohs or the Persian emperors.

I’m saying a lot to say a little. Hitler and his advisors were pleasantly surprised at the ease and rapidity of conquering first, Poland (30 days) in 1939, and then France (6 weeks) in 1940. This led them to 2 major miscalculations that followed in 1941. First, that Germany could capture Moscow in 120 to 150 days.

Second, with hindsight we can see the Germans started Operation Barbarossa one year too soon. It is suggested by many observers that had the German invasion of the USSR started in mid or late May instead of June 22, the Germans could have pulled it off. Captured Moscow. That may be, but keep in mind the Germans used horses to pull a good amount of their artillery and to haul a lot of supplies in the Operation Barbarossa.

That was not very smart in 1941. I have argued horses have always been a net liability in any war. A horse must have 2 gallons of water and 10 pounds of food every day. Plus regular grooming and the stable must be kept clean lest the horse’s hoofs become sore. Napoleon’s wagon train from Paris to Moscow was 150 miles long. Half of the train carried supplies for the horses.
en.wikipedia.org...

Foot Note.
Motorstoppmittel The secret weapon of the 2nd WK WK

Motorstoppmittel Engine stop funding
We want to here with a German development during the Second World War, employing the so-top secret deals, that we are only after decades of efforts under difficult conditions and has managed some very interesting information about collecting. One should therefore not be surprised that in the literature so far nothing has been read. Some readers will be the term "motor stop means" maybe have heard somewhere, but many will not even know what they have to present below.

Starting point for the development were the considerations that moving targets, such as airplanes, cars and armored fighting vehicles, with only conventional weapons were insufficiently combated. To take a plane in order to avoid, often enough had a lot of cartridges is possible. And even if the "bird" had met several times, this is often not enough to make him really to crash. The planes were, apart from the ever-increasing armor, so constructed that strong damage to the fuselage or the wing and even the loss of a wing does not always have led to a crash.
translate.google.com...://www.bunker-ig.de/intro/start/waffen/motorstopp/body_motorstopp.html&ei=CM67Sb_TH5jFtge1yrD3 Cw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DMotorstopp%2BMittel%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX

PS. Look up the quantity of war materiel the US shipped to the USSR via Iran during WW2. It is amazing!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by drock905

What uses in war time would 67 tons of mercury/quicksilver have? Someone mentioned conventional muntitions. How so? Are there any other uses?

The mercury is used in primers for explosives.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by drock905

The fabled"Nazi Bell" for one-

en.wikipedia.org...
The device is described as metallic, approximately 9 feet wide and 12 to 15 feet high with a shape similar to a bell. It contained two counter-rotating cylinders filled with a highly radioactive, purple substance only known as Xerum 525[5], which has been speculated to be Red mercury.[6] When active, The Bell would emit strong radiation, which led to the death of several scientists[7] and various plant and animal test subjects
"The Bell" has become something of a legend among believers in zero-point energy, perpetual motion machines, anti-gravity devices, reality shifting, reanimation, and time-space manipulation.

www.geocities.com...
It has been speculated that the foo fighters and many subsequent aerial phenomena were and are associated with a Nazi secret project code named "The Bell Project" .
Sporrenberg is said to have given detailed information about a bell shaped device filled with a substance similar to mercury, which utilized huge amounts of electrical power. The Bell was said to be a hazardous anti-gravity experiment, which caused illness, and death in research subjects and researchers alike .

[edit on 14-3-2009 by geo1066]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pakd-on-mystery
To be honest I think that the Nazis knew way more about alot of things, which we would not know of today if they wouldn't have leaked somewhere.
- Think about Stealth bombers.

The Nazi's did have a protype of a stealth bomber. But thier intention was not directly stealth rather aerodynamics etc. The Horton bothers developed several all wing prototypes which by thier very nature has low RCS

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Osmoses

Thank you for mentioning the submarine U-234, a star for you.

We already knew that the Nazis had a nuclear bomb program because the U-234 was captured carrying tons of yellow cake uranium to Japan. Something that is very interesting is that the captured yellow cake was transfered to Oakridge and some of it was used in the uranium bomb that we later dropped on Hiroshima. So, the uranium that was intended to help Japan to develop a bomb and end the war, was used in a bomb that was dropped on Japan and ended the war. Ironic.

Did any of you watch the History channel program on a Japanese atomic bomb program? That program puts forward the idea that the Japanese had a uranium mine in North Korea during the war and that they located their atomic bomb research there, to avoid detection and to shield it from allied bombing. The program interviews a couple of Japanese scientists who worked on the program and shows documents that they had a bomb design. The program also explores the rumor that the Japanese detonated a test device in Korea a few days before their surrender.

It was a very interesting program to say the least.

The program also cliams that the Japanese had a heavy water plant in North Korea that was fully operational and that this plant supplied the USSR with heavy water well into the Cold War. This would explain the reasons for the Korean War and why the Soviets and the Chinese were so determined to prevent North Korea from falling into the hands of the US.

I think that there is a lot that we just don't know about the German and Japanese atomic bomb programs. I think that they were a lot closer than we give them credit for. This would help explain how the Soviets developed their own bomb so quickly. They got their design from their spies in the Manhattan Project, their scientists from Germany and Japan, and their materials from North Korea.

One other thing is certain, the history as we have learned it is wrong.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
One correction, the U-234 was carrying U-235 in metal form, not yellow cake. This makes the capture all the more significant because there would have been enough U-235 to make several bombs.

Here is a link to the Wiki article on the sub.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unterseeboot_234

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The history channel show on the Japanese atomic bomb are on U-tube, I was going to furnish a link but then I found this article that I think is much more interesting.

www.grunt.com/scuttlebutt/corps-stories/ww2/atomicbomb.asp

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by lunarminer

the U-234 was carrying U-235 in metal form, not yellow cake. This makes the capture all the more significant because there would have been enough U-235 to make several bombs. Here is a link to the Wiki article on the sub.

Based on the story referred to above, the U235 was not weapons grade. I don't think Japan had any nuclear weapon program. Even tody, any bombs the Japanese may have in secret would have been furnished to them by the US. This is my own speculation.

On 25 March, 1945 U-234 departed Kiel for Kristiansand, Norway, commanded by Johann-Heinrich Fehler. She was carrying a cargo that comprised technical drawings, examples of the newest electric torpedoes, two Me 262 jet fighters in crates, a Henschel Hs 293 glide bomb, and 560 kg of uranium oxide which was stored in her mine shafts, contained in about 50 9 inches (230 mm) lead cubes, with "U-235" painted on each.

The exact characteristics of the uranium remain unknown but it is thought that it was not weapons-grade material and was intended for use as a catalyst in the production of synthetic methanol to be used for aviation fuel.

On 16 April, 1945 departed Norway for Japan. On 4 May 1945, Fehler heard of the surrender of German forces in Europe. The following day, May 5, Dönitz ordered all U-boats to cease offensive operations and return to their bases or surrender themselves to the nearest Allied authorities.

They were to surface, fly a black flag, and report their position to the Allies. Fehler suspected a trick and contacted another U-boat (U-873) who convinced him that the message was authentic. Fehler decided that he would surrender to US forces, but radioed on 12 May that he would sail for Halifax, Nova Scotia to surrender to ensure that Canadian units would not reach him first.

In reality, U-234 set course for Newport News, Virginia. The two Japanese passengers, upon learning that the U-boat was to surrender, took an overdose of Luminal (a barbiturate sleeping pill), died in their sleep, and were buried at sea

Capture. The difference between Fehler's reported course to Halifax and his true course was soon realized by US authorities who despatched two destroyers to intercept U-234.

On 14 May 1945 she was intercepted south of the Grand Banks by the USS Sutton. Members of the Sutton's crew took command of the U-boat and sailed her to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, where U-805, U-873, and U-1228 had already surrendered. News of the U-234's surrender with her high-ranking German passengers made the surrender a major news event. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unterseeboot_234

The story is that there were 50 cubes of 9 inches on a side (230 mm) and weighing about 299 pounds each. Total amount of U235 encased in the lead was not given. Total weight of the 50 cubes, 14,900 pounds, about 7 ½ tons. Of lead and uranium.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by donwhite

Yes, the uranium was not fully enriched to the weapons grade needed to make a bomb, or at least that is what we are told. However it only takes a few kilos of enriched U-235 to make a bomb and the Germans were delivering tons of the stuff to Japan. In addition to the U-234 submarine we know that there were several earlier shipments of similar size. So, at the very least the Japanese could have made dirty bombs.

What I do find interesting though is that the transport method for the U-235 is the exact method that the US used to store and transport the nuclear pits of atomic bombs.

As I said before, the history of the nuclear weapons programs during WWII that we have been told is wrong. Both the Germans and the Japanese had advanced weapons programs. All of this information came out during the 80's and 90's well after most of the witnesses were dead.

I did a lot of study on WWII while in Jr. High and High School and I never heard of the German reactor, the Bell project, the German uranium shipments to Japan, the Japanese uranium mines, the heavy water plant in North Korea, the rumor of a successfull bomb test, a Japanese bomb design. All of this came out after I was in college.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join