It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Nazis invent the Atomic Bomb?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The "Berliner Zeitung" posted an article reporting that
the Norwegian Government has Found the wreck of a German WWII subamrine on the cost of the Island Fedje.
When the Submarine U-864 started for Japan on the 7. of Febuary 1945 in Bergen. It was sunk by the british Submarine "Venturer". You are probably thinking that this doesnt sound like anything "special", but the "SPECIAL" aspect about this story, is that the U-864 had 67 tons of Quicksiver.

link:Pressemitteilung- Bergung der U-864 (sry its German, but i couldnt find any english ones
)

Now my question:
- What exactly were they doing with 67 tons of quicksilver on board?
- Why on the way to Japan of all places in the world?
- Where the heck did nazis hack 67 tons of quicksilver from?

[edit on 13/3/2009 by Pakd-on-mystery]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
anyone know about the spiecial forces team in norway who sunk the boat of 'heavy water' which was the last thing the nazi's needed to make an atom bomb? I think ray mears made a docu about it.- they skied for weeks eating only moss and twigs or something, totally epic story.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I have done quite a bit of reading ont he subject. Despite their access to alot of heavy water D2o which they would need to moderate a sustained nuclear reaction. They simply did not progress far enough. A crude reactor pile was found in a cave byt US Forces, but they never progressed beyond that. The relentless US and UK bombing campaign made it very hard to get the materials and research they needed.

The rumors of a sub filled with what they had is quite possible however. For example they did give jet technology to the Japanese and Japan did have research the construction of a bomb, but never got very far for the same reason.

This is evidence that Werner Heisenberg the nazi bomb designer (Thier Oppenheimer) stalled the progress of thier bomb with the intent of keeping it out of the hands of Hitler.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
After reading a book called 'Reich of the Black Sun' by Joseph P. Farrell, I'm beginning to think that the Nazis were more involved in the development of the atomic bomb than the allies would have us no.

This evidence that you've brought fourth has only strengthened my belief in this idea.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Germany was very close to having an Atomic bomb, but their scientists said that they were too far behind the US, and were slow working on it. If things had gone on much longer they might have finished developing one and used it.

They were also working on a bomber that could fly all the way to the US and drop one on New York and other targets on the Eastern Seaboard.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
The sunken submarine had 67 tons of mercury on board

From the translated page HERE

At the 9.Februar 1945 the German submarine U-864 was met by a torpedo attack of the British submarine HMS Venturer. The U-864 sank about two nautical miles west the island Fedje, somewhat north of mountains. All 73 humans on board died. The load of the submarine contained among other things about 67 tons of high-poisonous metallic mercury. Since the U-864 on an employment was, it in addition a full load had weapons on board. The ship wreck is regarded as potentially lasting threat for the human health and for the environment.

No mention of atomic weapons and no mention of quicksilver.

What is quicksilver anyway?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Barla Von

They never were able to enrich uranium nor get a working reactor beyond the crude pile discovered in a cave by US forces. I dont think they got far.

It not thay lacked the brain power rather the material and time.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

They never were able to enrich uranium nor get a working reactor beyond the crude pile discovered in a cave by US forces. I dont think they got far.

Actually, they lacked the Hollywood know how. None of it is real...But it fooled everyone into the "cold" war....brrrrr! Oh no NEW CLEAR BOMBS ahhh....seriously though....it's not real.

Peace

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Mercury is referred to sometimes as Quicksilver actually. So it's pretty much the same thing.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I agree with you that in the long run it was the resources and time that caught up with nazi scientists. I know that it is incredibly hard to enrich uranium, not to mention time-consuming.

You're definitely correct in saying that the german scientists did not lack the brainpower. Project Paperclip is evidence of this. The americans and soviets knew the german scientists were very intelligent.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Makes sense.

I didn't think mercury was used in making atomic bombs though, so I'm still a little doubtful over this claim.

having said that though, my knowledge of atomic bombs is limited.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

That was my first thought as well

Anyway, I looked up mercury and atomic weapons on google and I got this site, where people seem to be discussing the same thing:

forum.keypublishing.co.uk...

Some of them seem to think that the Germans were mixing uranium oxide in with the mercury, to hide it.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Pakd-on-mystery

Did Nazis invent the Atomic Bomb? The "Berliner Zeitung" posted an article reporting that the Norwegian Government has Found the wreck of a German WWII submarine on the cost of the Island Fedje. When the Submarine U-864 started for Japan on the 7 February 1945 in Bergen . .

YES! The Germans actually managed to make 2 atom bombs. In fact, the Germans were so angry and disillusioned with the Japanese they sent two of their super secret long range Junkers Ju 390s which had six BMW jet engines, from a hold-out secret base in Argentina to atom bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August, 1945. The rest is history, as they say!
www.ww2aircraft.net...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think that if Nazi Germany have gotten atomic bomb - they would certainly use it. Because they were loosing, and because Hitler spoke so much about wonder weapon that is going to win the war. Atomic bomb is pretty much this wonder weapon - as US showed.
So i am sure that they did not have it (at least until it was too late).

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

So Hiroshima and Nagasaki were what?

Seriously, I'm not following you.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to
post by ZeroKnowledge

I think that if Nazi Germany have gotten atomic bomb - they would certainly use it. Atomic bomb is pretty much this wonder weapon - as US showed. I am sure that they did not have it (at least until it was too late). Signature. A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. Sir Winston Churchill

I agree with you in part, Mr Z/K. They would have used it if they had it. But more likely on Moscow than on London.

The US was lucky. We had surplus electricity both in the Tennessee Valley and in the Columbia River valley. Oak Ridge was built in Tennessee to take advantage of that. Hanford was built in Washington to take full advantage of the Grand Coulee Dam on the Columbia River.

It is widely reported the Manhattan Project - the secret program to produce an atom bomb - consumed TEN PERCENT (10%) of all the electricity in the US! We refined uranium at Oak Ridge and processed it into plutonium at Hanford. We assembled the bombs at Los Alamos in New Mexico.

Based on our experience, the Germans did not have enough electricity to have diverted enough power to make a bomb. To do that would probably have required 40% of all German electric power. We managed to make only THREE bombs by August, 1945. I have heard we were refining enough uranium to make 2 or 3 bombs a year at that time. Later, when we learned how to mutate the U235 natural element - as opposed to the bomb making radioactive U238 - into plutonium, we were able to make a total of 75,000 atom bombs and hydrogen bombs over the years.

All bombs are now made and re-charged at Amarillo’s Pantex Plant operated by a consortium including Halliburton.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Germany was very close to having an Atomic bomb, but their scientists said that they were too far behind the US, and were slow working on it. If things had gone on much longer they might have finished developing one and used it.

They were also working on a bomber that could fly all the way to the US and drop one on New York and other targets on the Eastern Seaboard.

Exactly, The were working on creating one at the same time as us. They were not working on it as hard as we were though, and as you said they felt they were to far behind us.

I must say that it is good they didnt get one built because that very well could have changed the way the war went....

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Actually they did lack the brain power as well. They had some good brains, but the USA had far more---many of them Europeans (including many Jews) who of course were driven out by Nazi ideology and invasion.

Heisenberg was smart, but the USA had 20-30 people at his level. The A-Bombs required not just theory but immense amounts of practical engineering, chemistry, metallurgy and experimental insights and achievements. Plus materials and money.

One of the primary issues was that Enrico Fermi figured out a key problem with graphite and neutron scattering.

Both the USA and Germans had figured out that the way to create a nuclear reactor from natural uranium required either heavy water or, better, graphite. This was from theoretical computations. But when they tested it, both sides found problems with graphite that they didn't understand. So the Germans went to heavy water which had other effects.

Fermi was sufficiently secure in the computations and had an experimentalist's practical experience to investigate further---it turns out it was a small chemical contamination from the typical way used to produce graphite which caused the nuclear problem. Once he got new graphite which was made extra-pure, then everything worked.

Probably from the German command's point of view, the A-bomb was seen (rightfully from their side) as a long-term far off project, maybe paying off 20 years in the future. If they weren't victorious before that, then it would all be irrelevant, so rocketry was emphasized more.

Captured German scientists heard about the US bombing of Hiroshima. They totally disbelieved that the US had actually constructed a working A-bomb by then, they were sure they had been in the lead when Germany fell, and they were pretty far off.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
i was under the idea that yes pre-nazi germany was working along the lines of atomic weapons.When the nazi's came into power fully and started genocide on the jews,that alot of german/jewish scientist came to america and russia to excape genocide and help on the project.I cannot recall where the main sceintest that worked on the manhatten project where from but i dont think they where american.oppenheimer coms to mind,i think for sure i spelled his name wrong.Einstien wasnt american,his name sounds strangely like ukrian,or germany.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
www.spacewar.com... According to this article the germans were way off making a A bomb and i tend to believe this. Funnily enough i think that the mercury was actually a fuel for a type of revolutionary type of craft which is commonly called a ufo. The proof these things were flying such as the reports about foo fighters is in my opinion overwhelming. I suspect mercury was a component of a new type of ion engine which electically vaporised this element. This is just a hunch and i was hoping somebody with a technical knowledge might give an opinion as i believe that the nazis were developing these types of craft.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join