It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration: Excess of Fear Must Be Broken

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Top economic Advisor Summers: 'Excess of fear' Must Be Broken

www.google.com...
Headline News ~ Obama Advisor - Summers; Excess of Fear Must Be Broken.

President Obama's top advisor is in the news saying that the financial crisis has led to an excess of fear, and that must be broken to reverse the downturn.

The idea here is that fear begats fear...what do the readers of ATS think? Is this a signal that the current administration has got it wrapped up, recovery is on it's way...and now they just need to get us to realize that?

Or is this another ploy, an attempt to manipulate the populice and dupe us out of our careful ways?

Lets hear it!

President Barack Obama's top economic adviser says the crisis in the financial sector has led to an "excess of fear" that must be broken to reverse the economic downturn.

Lawrence Summers, the president's director of the National Economic Council, told a think tank gathering Friday that "fear begets fear" and that "is the paradox at the heart of the financial crisis."

He said an abundance of greed and an absence of fear precipitated the excesses that led to the meltdown that froze credit.

Summers said it was "modestly encouraging" that consumer spending appears to have stabilized after collapsing during the holiday season.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Isn't it amazing how "Hope" and "Change" were such appropriate descriptors of the attitudes less than 100 days after inauguration.

Like, "I Hope we make it through this." "I Hope it doesn't get much worse."

And, "Can you spare some Change." "Sorry, all I have is Change in my pocket."

There is a level of fear in the air, for me personally it's only intensified since my fear that the Obama administration would either over-reach early, or underestimate the severity of the issues we face. I was prepared for one, that they have done both has worsened even my original gloomy view.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by jefwane]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Obama has been the biggest propagator of this fear since the beginning!

He is the one who has been out bashing the markets and using the word "crisis" a billion times in every speech.

This man takes every citizen of America for an idiot, and thinks we won't notice.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
geez...first it was TOO MUCH hope, now it's TOO MUCH fear. the GOP must have an entire building and staff dedicated to undermining this president on an everyday basis. maybe this is why it seems that people just ignore the right.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I agree, and that's why some people's attitude really grates on me.

This place is filled with fearmongers and doomsayers, who WANT a complete collapse. They WANT riots, starvation, death... it's disturbing really. They will promote a calamity even on the most feeble of proofs. A slight indicator that there may be trouble brewing, and better buy 100 years of long shelf life food, pull all your $$ out of the bank, grow a garden, buy 'shotgun shells' (how many people really own a shotgun btw??), and so on. It's laughable imo, and fearmongering in the extreme, and does not help the situation.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Summers, a Harvard professor is considered one of the most brillant economic minds around...a quote from his remarks:

Our single most important priority is bringing about economic recovery and ensuring that the next economic expansion, unlike it’s predecessors, is fundamentally sound and not driven by financial excess.

Complete Update including Summers full remarks here:

www.boston.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

They are just asking the President to make up his mind. Up until a few weeks ago everything he said was doom and gloom. Now he says doom and gloom is hurting our economy.

You can't really blame the GOP for this one. The President is the one spreading the message.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Last time I checked there is a large group of people that still think 9-11 was an inside job... I'm one of them.

The economy is not what I'm worried about, if you catch my drift.

He wants us to stop being afraid... then start a new investigation on 9-11.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

I remember a thread about you sayin you were done with 911.....

Welcome back, your passion was missed

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Interesting angle there you are on to...
Maybe his message has a deeper meaning, you think?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

So many people are disenchanted with our government because of the corruption and dishonesty we've seen in the last 20 years or so, and it's been getting increasingly corrupt and dishonest.

Obama has come along, making the claim that he's going to change the direction. Naturally, some people are highly skeptical of him and his message. Some of us, on the other hand, refuse to judge the president until we have something to judge. I won't judge Obama based on George Bush or Bill Clinton.

Having said that, Obama is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't right now. We have been facing a real financial crisis and he warned us that it might be pretty bad so we'd have a real idea that we might have to sacrifice. He was called a "fear-monger", even though the issue was real. Then, when things start to look up a little and his people tell him that he has to present a more positive outlook so the people's confidence will grow, he's said to be wishy-washy and they criticize him for not being able to make up his mind.

But the truth is that an economic crisis is something to fear, but we have to temper that fear with a positive outlook. It's not black and white. It's somewhere in the middle. We just need to act responsibly, not freak out, keep a level head and get through this thing.

NO ONE knows if the ride is over or where we are on it. NO ONE. Not Obama or Larry Summers or Ben Bernanke or ANYONE. So, baby let's cruise.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The economy is going to get MUCH MUCH worse. (bear with me while I explain.)

Our food safety system was trashed in 1995 by Sec of Ag Ann Venman (Board member of Monsanto) She appointed Dan Amstutz (VP of Cargill) who wrote the World Trade Organization Agreement on Agriculture. (WTO AoA)  Unlike GATT, WTO has major clout from trade sanctions and control of 90% of the international trade. Since 2000 we have already lost 25% of our manufacturing jobs due to "free Trade" (WTO)

"Aims to ensure that governments do not use quarantine and food safety requirements as Unjustified trade barriers.. It provides Member countries with a right to implement traceability [NAIS] as an SPS measure." WTO AoA

In other words the WTO did away with "quarantine and food safety requirements" that gave us "the safest food in the world" and is graciously going to allow Farmers to track AND COUNT the world's livestock for them instead. Now HR 875 and a FDA release indicate All food will be tracked and all food producers will have "written safety plans" Food Czar inspections and the threat of fines up to $1,000,000 a day will eliminate all the independent farms that have acted as a check on Corporate AG.

These Ag corporations are interested in one thing, PROFIT.  American Farmers and farmers around the world have been feeling the squeeze caused by big Ag eliminating competing middle men who would buy their product.  In the USA there are only five big slaughter houses left. After WTO AoA was ratified, the USDA (under Sec of Ag Venman) immediately changed the regs and eliminated over 100 independent slaughter houses in one state alone.  Now the Ag corporations are going to complete the elimination of all their competition. 

In reading the bill HR 875 I notice a very frighting thing. The Animal Welfare Act specifically excludes livestock and pets.  This bill does not list ANY EXCLUSIONS! On the contrary it specifically states

"..facility owned or operated by a person located in any State that processes food or a facility that holds, stores, or transports food or food ingredients."

Notice it does not say a person SELLING food, it says a person holds, stores, or transports food or food ingredients.

This is very scary given Ag Sec. Venman's "

September, 1995, USDA's Food Safety & Inspection Service presented a 600-page document Farm-To-Table - control of every step in the food chain from production to home preparation. " FSIS - USDA

HR 875 also includes this.

"in any action to enforce the requirements of the food safety law, the connection with interstate commerce required for jurisdiction SHALL BE PRESUMED TO EXIST."

The fact you are growing veggies for you and friends does not exclude you!

This means Americans will be forced to buy food from international Ag business without any other option. No more buy local.  What is more the multiplier effect for farm dollars is seven according to the PEW report. This is because independent farmers spend their money within the rural community. Factory farms on the other hand remove money from the rural community instead. Eliminating independent farmers not only will put them out of work, it will have a trickle down effect to the other businesses supporting farming and the families of farmers.

Everyone knows about Monsanto, so here is info on Cargill.

This is Cargill in action in the USA
Cargill Knee deep in blood
Cargill unethical practices

I am nuts right? Here is one Lady's recent brush with the Authorities.

"Today a state Ag inspector and two county officials show up and scare the bee-jesus out of me. First they accuse me of selling products and milk, then explain that even "giving milk products away" is illegal in California... They explained it was even ILLEGAL to give it to my own children if they did not live under my roof! I can't even take a lasagna dish to my grown sons home without risk of being fined, arrested and or jailed! This is OUTRAGIOUS!!!!" (note: this is pasturized products NOT raw) Donna Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:37 pm Against NAIS

American Vegetable Grower Magazine: Under Federal Marketing order as per the Fresh Produce Safety Act of 2007. All produce growers will be subject to inspection under guidelines set forth by Wal-Mat, McDonalds and Walt Disney Co. They include “cameras, employee identification,fences with locked gates, security guards, area patrol, unathorized entry signs, etc. All for a lack of management caused by the faliure of gov agencies to control wildlife. This will do for the small produce grower what NAIS will do for small livestock producers.

".....On food safety, Obama said he has ordered the Agriculture Department and the Health and Human Services Department to work more closely and develop better procedures, after a salmonella outbreak traced to peanut processors in Texas and Georgia. The nation needs "better warning signals" from food producers and an ability to track contamination more quickly, he said....." © 2009, The Dallas Morning News.Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Is it any wonder farmers locavories, organic consumers and those who jobs depend on farmers are worried?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I find tis statement he made, selfish and propogandal, and pretty low to be honest. how about the tent people over in LA, no ones helping them. They were hard working americans layed off by a system saving money to pay its CEO's and fovrs sweatshop labor mroe or less. Governemnt could easily decalre martial law(it wa supposd to ahppen if the first stimulus package wasnt issued as a reminder) in congress last year, and a decaying system taht sends money overseas to help thier citiznes, but dosnt do anyting for those here...not a penny.
How does this break the fear? Most know this and is only adding fear!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Anyone else being reminded of the ol' Bush Speeches?
Only talk of the good, walk around the real problems.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

But the truth is that an economic crisis is something to fear, but we have to temper that fear with a positive outlook. It's not black and white. It's somewhere in the middle. We just need to act responsibly, not freak out, keep a level head and get through this thing.

Great Post! I want to think this meltdown can reverse...keeping your cool is always a plus!

I am wondering about this angle...actually that this is President Obama's top financial advisor saying this...I need to hear it from President Obama.
We will see...

[edit on by bts]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

This means Americans will be forced to buy food from international Ag business without any other option. No more buy local. What is more the multiplier effect for farm dollars is seven according to the PEW report. This is because independent farmers spend their money within the rural community. Factory farms on the other hand remove money from the rural community instead. Eliminating independent farmers not only will put them out of work, it will have a trickle down effect to the other businesses supporting farming and the families of farmers

Agreed, and great post. That shoud strike some fear into the hearts of some. I love buying local. Keep up the good work on that...I read and posted in your recent column.

Yea and what do we need a food Czar for? And what is with the "czar" name? Sounds foreign...like from Yugoslavia or Russia?

How deep is the message?

Did Summers forget to inform the Wall Street Journal?
We Need to get Peggy Noonan on board too...her column yesterday
titled: "Six months after the collapse, a "pandemic of fear."
in the WSJ is all doom and gloom...about bank runs, guns, survival preparation...etc etc!?

But today, "the dread is chronic. . . . Tom Wolfe's Masters of the Universe were supposed to be invincible. The pillars of media were supposed to be there forever. The lawyers were supposed to feed through thick and thin. Not anymore." He quoted Ecclesiastes: "The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning; but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth." We are worried, he said, "about a way of life, about the loss of upward trajectory."

online.wsj.com...

[edit on by bts]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The man is realistic about the current economic crises in the short term and his a fear mongerer! Although he tries to be more positive as fear is a major component to this economic crises and all of sudden his down playing the crises. I mean this from the same conservatives we said "what crises" not too long ago.

Bush has butter coated everything for 8years and conservatives never gave a damn. This bickering from the right on an administration we are yet to see the effects of over 4years need not cross the line of partisanship.

How do you be realistic about the economic crises but at the same time be positive about it? Especially after the mess the last administration left? Brother.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Hold on wasnt it too long ago Obama was accused of fear mongering? What am I missing here?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Having said that, Obama is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't right now.

You know I really think that should be the motto for the dissolutioned conservatives on here.... "damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Obama SHOULD be talking up the economy. He's the President of the United States.

I'm not going to go into why he changed his tactics on it.

Bush did the same thing after 9/11.

As many of you know...i've only been following politics for maybe a half year or so...i knew Bush was corrupted....just didn't know how much.

It's so much worse than I thought. And it's not him....it's damn near everyone....all over.

Congressmen, Businessmen, Wall Street...it's absolutely insane what has happened.

It's almost impossible to fathom how we have all been lied to...and continued to be lied to...about so many things that have happened within our country and abroad.

I don't know what to think anymore. I can't put trust in this stuff anymore. They all have agenda's with business...even Obama does...someone will benefit from his green agenda...like the CEO of GE who is an economic advisor to his administration.....yeah..GE just happens to own NBC and all of it substations...including MSNBC.

This should immediately throw up red flags to anyone that has seen this.

Our problem is that we want so badly for the person we voted for to succeed...that we are willing to defend them....to all ends.

This happened with Bush...and it will happen with Obama.

Never....never for as long as i live....will I ever give a President the benefit of the doubt...not when they can make one decision in one day and change the entire country...or hide things from the public.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by David9176]

[edit on 13-3-2009 by David9176]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join