It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL RIGHT!!! an extra $28 on my paycheck today!!! Thanks Obama... time to stimulate the economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Although my company is starting to lose some clients, which means there might be a few layoffs... And my name could be high on the list.

I'm starting to get a little worried.

I'm also starting to make a few sacrifices...

But anyway... anybody else notice a difference in their paycheck?
I'm not exactly thrilled (if you couldn't detect the sarcasm in my title), but I guess it's better than nothing.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It is better than nothing. Any tax break no matter how small is nice and you didnt have to be an investor or big corporate tycoon to get it. Now if we can just get the government to shrink spending that would be another issue.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by mybigunit]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
it is nice until next tax time. According to the payroll clerk here, they just adjusted people's tax brackets. So if you normally get money back from taxes, you will get less. If you normally pay each year, you will pay more. This is only moving when you pay the money to the Gov. You will pay the money either way.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Relax. Every time you get that 28 bucks, go buy another 15 shares of citigroup. Eventually you'll be so screwed that the government will have to bail you out too.
I've been thinking about doing the same myself, but I actually kinda need the 28 bucks right now.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Yay!! My wife had an extra 16 dollars that weren't confiscated this week. Now we decided to save this money for the next 9 months and then go out and purchase a green vehicle from GM. Yeah, right.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
After carefully reviewing my taxes, I adjusted my W4 to give the IRS back the silly $7. I found if I didn't I'd probably wind up owing.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Actually I did, and I was wondering where it was coming from, my husband gets pay weekly and I did notice an increase but it doesn't seem like much when is divide by 4, now that you mention let see . . .98 dollars more a month.

Hey if you have not told me this I would never had it figure out as my husbands check gets so many deductions that is not funny.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

While it seems odd, 28 bucks can make a difference. Normally don't have money left over? now someone may catch a movie, or dinner.

Those empty restaurants might have a few more people in it.

Or someone will get those shoes they need.
While it may not seem like much, every little bit helps.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Ive got some xtra cash in my paycheck starting last week. I like it yes, but...property taxes are going up where i live here in southwest CT, a good $545 more..and for those reading about all these unfavorable taxes going up, obeisity tax on non diet beverages, carbon tax, city taxes ect ect ect what good does the extra money really do? It will still leave you right where yuo are now in debt: (

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Yeah it's just compensating for the lovely inflation that's on it's way.

YAY 2 cartons of cigarettes now cost a freaking 100$.

One. Hundred. Dollars.
1...0...0...$
That's Four Hundred Quarters!!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Maybe this will explain extra money in paychecks

"Folks are going to see their withholding lowered, starting around April 1, for the rest of this year, as part of the Making Work Pay Tax Credit, and that's a brand new credit you'll claim on your '09 return when you file it next year," said Dan Boone of the Nashville IRS office.

www.wsmv.com...

Making Work Pay Credit: The stimulus bill will give a $400 credit per worker and a $800 credit per working couple. Almost everyone will receive this. The full credit would be paid to people making $75,000 or less ($150,000 per dual-earner couple). A partial credit would be paid to those making above those amounts but no more than $100,000 ($200,000 for couples). The credit would also be refundable, which means that even very low-income families who don’t make enough to owe income tax would be able to claim it. For most working individuals, the credit will be paid over time at roughly $15 per period, assuming 26 pay periods in a year. People who are self-employed can adjust their quarterly tax filings to account for the credit.

www.biblemoneymatters.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

That's funny, I was just going to say something along the lines of it being there so people can still afford cigarettes and pop when those taxes go up.

[edit on 3/13/2009 by numo16]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Just did my taxes and my buddies. Our incomes havent changed.

Yet we both owe over $400.

Thanks "Making Work Pay!"

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
Yeah it's just compensating for the lovely inflation that's on it's way.

YAY 2 cartons of cigarettes now cost a freaking 100$.

One. Hundred. Dollars.
1...0...0...$
That's Four Hundred Quarters!!

Wow, seriously, that is cheap.

Here in NJ (and its even worse in NY), its $148 for 2 cartons of smokes.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Yeah, I noticed last pay day that my check was $9 less.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Maybe you should just stop smoking then?

This part isn't directed at you but I really do get pissed when I see people moan about taxes and money problems and then they spend 200 bucks on cigs or drinks while they soak up money from the state.

If people are on unemployment it would seem to me thats a great time to lose your vices that cost you a bunch.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
$28? BIG DEAL!!! Food alone has risen in cost over the past year, a good 50 cents + thats adds up! $28 will not cover the cost of heating fuel, a comforter to keep warm, or even a good pair of shoes or pants. How about he defelcts some of that money he canceled from NASA, AIG returned money to the general populous? this is america for christ sakes, and it an make anyting happen...let that anything, be all uf us screwed over american citizens/tax payers for once* Its long overdue, we all get a small taste back of what AIG and the others stole form us.

being americans, most will prob go out and stupidly spend it anyways, tha would be good for wall street n stocks, and maybe even the auto industry!

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
reply to post by Tentickles

Maybe you should just stop smoking then?

This part isn't directed at you but I really do get pissed when I see people moan about taxes and money problems and then they spend 200 bucks on cigs or drinks while they soak up money from the state.

If people are on unemployment it would seem to me thats a great time to lose your vices that cost you a bunch.

If you spend $200 on cigarettes, only $77 of that actually goes toward the actual cigarettes. the other $123 is all tax and goes to both state and federal government. So those people living on state checks are just throwing 2/3 of their money back to the place it came from.

Think of it that way, next time you get mad about it.

Tobacco tax is 158% for reference.

[edit on 28-1-2010 by SlasherOfVeils]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
They give you money in one hand and take it out of the other. People will still be in debt.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Hmm.. $11 a movie ticket = $22.. $6 will buy me ... a box of Goobers.

Thanks US Government .. It's appreciated. Although, I gotta say, not wasting our money on nonsense projects, giving it to banksters, spending it on pointless wars, not gambling with it, not buying mortgages with it, in fact, not doing anything with our money would have been o so much better. At least, the price of everything would stop shooting through the roof.

new topics

top topics

join