It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guatemala: UFO experts amazed by Mayan panels just unearthed

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I am trying to recall if this particular culture was one that retrieved a great deal of their fresh water from gigantic flooded cave systems.

It would lend itself to easier credence to think of it is as a depiction of underwater cave explorations, which is still a stretch considering the breath control and lighting technology required...., I suppose.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I was really hoping to get a new revelation on the wheels within wheels

thing, very disapointed there. This whole thing reminds me of a

Rorschach inkblot test where it's just anyone's guess.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I found this bit at the end of the OP's source story link amusing;

don’t think the proof of the theory that civilizations were once guided by alien visitors could get any stronger. The only question is when will our friends from space openly return and give us some guidance, possibly more needed now than then.

LOL yeah they can enlighten us with their vast scientific knowledge while reinstating mandatory human sacrifice! Our leaders will get flying vermanas and advanced weaponry for the price of a virgin's heart sacrificed to "the gods" every day at noon. Sign up your daughters!

People say all the time how advanced these ancient civilizations were, but seem to overlook the disgusting and horrendous acts the leaders subjected their people to. Not to mention how they all lived in complete slavery.

I guess history repeats itself...

--back on topic, I've seen many pics of these ancient depictions of things which look like aliens and UFOs. It's hard not to come to the conclusion that we've been visited by them always. Why were they out in the open then, and not now? However we werent around at the time so everything we view from then is completely out of context. Who knows?

edited to make the post better

[edit on 14-3-2009 by mostlyspoons]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

for the price of a virgin's heart sacrificed to "the gods" every day at noon. Sign up your daughters!

No we just sacrifice our daughters by the hundreds every day to the US govt sponsored drug dealing industry

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mostlyspoons
I found this bit at the end of the OP's source story link amusing;

don’t think the proof of the theory that civilizations were once guided by alien visitors could get any stronger. The only question is when will our friends from space openly return and give us some guidance, possibly more needed now than then.

LOL yeah they can enlighten us with their vast scientific knowledge while reinstating mandatory human sacrifice! Our leaders will get flying vermanas and advanced weaponry for the price of a virgin's heart sacrificed to "the gods" every day at noon. Sign up your daughters!

People say all the time how advanced these ancient civilizations were, but seem to overlook the disgusting and horrendous acts the leaders subjected their people to. Not to mention how they all lived in complete slavery.

I guess history repeats itself...

--back on topic, I've seen many pics of these ancient depictions of things which look like aliens and UFOs. It's hard not to come to the conclusion that we've been visited by them always. Why were they out in the open then, and not now? However we werent around at the time so everything we view from then is completely out of context. Who knows?

edited to make the post better

Absolutely but what if...... The entities that allegedly came down and taught the mayans mathematics,language,astronomy what if... they had to feast on blood in order to survive. After they left maybe the mayans were trying to get them to come back by sacrificing people. From there it snowballed ?

Maybe their leaving the planet systematically changed the society of the mayans because they were so intent on trying to get the entities back?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Yeah it looks like some sort of scuba divers to me too. Doesnt seem like anything of alien type but who knows! Im not an expert.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I remember something from years ago that showed an alleged astronaught, but turned out to be a fisherman, I believe that one was aztec. I always enjoy enjoy any archeological digs and commentary and its a good post OP. I do have a problem with the Mr Cohen the article writer saying almost right off..
'As expected there was no mention of aliens or UFOs in relation to the find. Ufologists have been concentrating in particular on Mayan civilization and mythology for decades, probably more so than any other ancient civilisation. Its astronomy and myths of immortal beings arriving from the stars to give humans knowledge are well known."

First to me at least, its as if he is implying either they are too embarrased, or there is a gag order, or something along that line, that we would never know even if they knew. So its geared to a ufo audience, which would then hopefully be expected to nodd in agreement, yes thats it, of course they wouldn't. It's conspiracy by the mainstrean establishment doing the digging, , all those real experts, of course. Certainly in Greek and Roman, in fact almost any civilization even ours today we have plenty of interplay between gods and their toys. Stealing the secret of fire from the gods, one of the many myths, or pandoras box, releasing all that negative energy, except hoplessness, into our dimension, etc etc. Being that in all of these civilzations writing was done by an elite few, and everything else is done and reserved by and in the oral tradition, and even occasional grafitti on rocks by slave laborers.I am sure whatever history is carved, by who could afford it, was probably very slanted, and not very accurate, and prone to embellishment, to impart, an immortality or Godliness to the subject, and yes even to tell, a prehistoric fairy tale. The more in awae the audience, the more fearful or in control they were. Not too diffeerent than today. Just my thought on this thats all. Still great to read OP, and comment was at the article author. The find can stand without saying, look they wont say its UFO related, when no proof of such appeared to be happening .

[edit on 14-3-2009 by Sys_Config]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex
Here is what the Reuter's article has to say:

GUATEMALA CITY (Reuters) - Archeologists have uncovered carved stucco panels depicting cosmic monsters, gods and serpents in Guatemala's northern jungle that are the oldest known depictions of a famous Mayan creation myth.

The newly discovered panels, both 26 feet long and stacked on top of each other, were created around 300 BC and show scenes from the core Mayan mythology, the Popol Vuh.

On one panel, the twins are depicted surrounded by cosmic monsters and above them is a bird deity with outstretched wings. On the other, there is a Mayan corn god framed by an undulating serpent, said Hansen who worked as a consultant for Mel Gibson's 2006 movie about the Maya, "Apocalypto."

So what are "Cosmic Monsters"?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
"""The newly discovered panels, both 26 feet long and stacked on top of each other, were created around 300 BC and show scenes from the core Mayan mythology, the Popol Vuh.

On one panel, the twins are depicted surrounded by cosmic monsters and above them is a bird deity with outstretched wings. On the other, there is a Mayan corn god framed by an undulating serpent, said Hansen who worked as a consultant for Mel Gibson's 2006 movie about the Maya, "Apocalypto."""""

okaaaaay, i've seen the main two pics here and 2 or 3 others on the net. They seem to differ from each other in style and also do not seem to be 'stacked on top of each other' as the article claims. Also, I see no 'cosmic monsters,' 'bird deity with outstretched wings' or ' a Mayan corn god framed by an undulating serpent.'

I see two dudes swimming, (or floating in cold space with no protection, as some of you think) they have possibly found an ancient ruin under water??
I do believe in ET's and maybe, as i'd like to believe, they did see UFO's. As cultures through history far and wide have apparently recorded. Possibly for our speculation in 'modern' times. It could be a downed UFO, or just part of their creation myth. But i still can't quite perceive what it is.

just found this pic now, look carefully behind the dude, there's a mirror image of the apparent ufo. think i found my cosmic monsters, if thats what they are.
www.javno.com...

The other image, however, could be saying quite a lot. The dude with the awesome nose piece (heck knows what that is! stargazing equipment?) is holding what looks like some primate. in front of which seems to be a stylized wave, tsunami. The orbs therein i do agree seem to be planets. The Mayans were great cosmologists, they seemed to know what was what in the heavens. I have to ask, was there a conjunction/alignment of planets that lead to a catastrophe that they experienced, or was this a forecast of things to come. Or both?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I have made an color overlay for better viewing:

[edit on 15-3-2009 by coolism]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolism
I have made an color overlay for better viewing:

[edit on 15-3-2009 by coolism]

Thanks for that coolism its appreciated

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
The great thing about attempting to decipher mayan art is that it is so abstract, that just about anyone's interpretation has some validity.

Early on in the thread, dreamingman and aggie man pointed out what I feel is a fantastic recognition of the planets Mercury, Venus, Earth (with moon) and Mars inside the curl of the serpent. The serpent in Mayan culture usually has to do with the Sun, or Great Clock. The planets inline are being ushered close to the head of the serpent. Inside the serpent's belly, you can see 3 other 'planets' if you will. Could this mean that the 'Serpent' has devoured these in the past? Lots of fun trying to decode this... especially with what looks to be an alien creature observing or manipulating the event.

On the other side, the Mayan, or "Human" looks to be observing with something which might be interpreted to be a telescope of sorts.

Notice that today, most telescopes come with long flexible adjusting cables with knobs on the ends so you can change Right Ascention and Declination. More sophisticated telescopes have even more flexible shafts used to engage or disengage a motor axis or focus the lens. This looks pretty close to what we see in this picture. Not exactly, but close. The Mayan seems to be aiming whatever it is by manipulating some kind of flexible control shafts. I think this panel will be scrutinized for a long time. What a fantastic image it is.

O

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by coolism

Thanks, appreciated

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

they were far more advanced then us and it must have been real important to them so they engraved it

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by k3456789

They might well have been more advanced that modern humans, certainly some of their medicine was.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Catching up on this thread and these posts caught my attention:

reply to post by Melissa101

Yes I KNOW that aliens are a figment of satan’s imagination

And I KNOW that satan is a figment of christian imagination! Do some reasearch on that.

"Originally posted by DREAMING MAN
reply to post by franspeakfree

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to worry Fran.

You have one supporter here... for I believe. You can not let Group B drive you mad. The human mind is simply what it is, an organ to sort things out.
I respect those who tend to differ with me. I only wish Group B would respect my view. To be human is to suffer, right?

There are so many anomalous artifacts scattered across the globe, but the problem is that no "scientific" group will step forward with the "Golden Common Denominator," for fear of loosing their paycheck. Period.

We can only hope, & continue to search & dig. "

As I am on dial up (directions to my house include the phrase" turn off the paved road"
) I haven't been able to open all the links provided here, (see the skelaton leaning over the computer!!) however,I do enjoy the conversation both pro and con. It streches my mind and gives me new things to consider. I too believe in the prophecies.

Thank you for bringing this here.

charlyv love the telescope idea

[edit on 17-3-2009 by Curiosityrising]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

They do appear to be swimming

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
You look at this and ask.. What if?

If we really had UFO activity in the ancient world similar to what we see today then you would expect to see some sign of that activity in all cultures throughout the world. That is exactly what we see though right?

www.kindastrange.net...

www.crystalinks.com...

Take all this for what you will..But this bizarre artwork and heiroglyph stonework has been discovered throughout the world. That is what we would expect to see if the UFO phenomenon was, in fact, real. It also brings up the possibility that these people simply saw time-traveling, future versions of us. Or they are completely extraterrestrial in origin. That's my opinion on all this. And when you consider all of this that has been discovered and has yet to be discovered that seems to point to worldwide UFO activity throughout history, it would only make sense that this newly discovered mayan panel all ties in.

Not sure if you guys have seen this. It was featured on last weeks episode of "UFO Hunters". These perfectly aerodynamic gold ornaments/jewelry were discovered in ancient ruins in Colombia I believe.

www.world-mysteries.com...

On last week's episode of UFO hunters they actually built an exact scale model of one of these out of foam I think. It seemed to be an excellent glider and it was able to create lift like a conventional aircraft. Pretty interesting when you tie that all in too.

All I'm saying here is that we don't have all the answers and to assume we do at this point would be lying to ourselves. But what you will pretty much always find within the scientific community is a bunch of mainstream scientists who scoff at the idea that these are representations of UFO's or aliens. Sure, we don't know that. But we don't know what they are either. "Occums Razor" is always really important to keep in mind when you are looking at this kind of thing. But when you see how everything seems to correllate when you consider the possibilities, its pretty remarkable I think. For some reason people think that science has already discovered everything there is to discover. We've barely scratched the surface!

-ChriS

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Absolutely, you have hit the nail on the head.

It makes me laugh when I read posts on this site from people that say, "If aliens come I will grab my gun and teach them a lesson"

I mean its as if these people believe that we, HUMAN BEINGS, are the centre of the universe and everything revolves around us
the more I think about it the more funnier it is.

These beings have been around for alot longer than us and will indeed still be around after we destroy ourselves. To say that these lesser mortals are indeed not as advanced as us in technology and wisdom, is just pure ignorance. The same we can say for the people that believe the mayans were nothing special.

The fact is anything that we can't explain by OUR science, gets buried and people pretend it doesn't exist. For example, the construction of the pyramids, the iron clasps, the astrological alignment in conjunction with Mars Egypt and Africa. The mortice joints of the pyramids, the weight of the stones that were used in the pyramids, stone henge e.t.c e.t.c

We have so much to learn about our history! if only 'the powers that be' would release their documents and show us the missing link to what we are all searching for. Yes it would abolish religion, yes 'they' wouldn't be able to control the population with their lies and deceit but the world would be a better place for it.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

You are absolutely right. When you consider the current age of the universe compared to how long human beings have existed on this planet it's clear that any other intelligent civilizations out there would likely be, statistically speaking, much more advanced than we. Also, any intelligent beings out there capable of building a spacecraft advanced enough to travel around to other star systems is obviously going to be much more advanced than we are.

We've even discovered the building blocks of life inside asteroid fragments that have landed on earth. It could have come from anywhere (including earth in the distant past), but the fact is that if there is one there are probably trillions of them (at least) floating around the cosmos.. And this one was just one we happened to discover. Who knows? If Genetic material and possibly even micro-organisms are in asteroids and comets, then maybe life really is everywhere. Given the right factors, some of this life might land in the ocean of a planet somewhere, thrive, and then evolve into more complex organisms. We know that organisms have evolved to thrive and multiply in the harshest environments on our own planet. It's possible that these same organisms might thrive on other planets too if the conditions are right. Some scientists think that the only reason life exists on earth is because of this "life-seeding" idea that one planet can seed another planet light years away in an entirely different star system. We know that comets are extremely numerous just outside our own solar system. Where did all that water come from? Other planets? And if so, did those planets have life? IF so, its quite possible that the building blocks of life are commonly found in comets. We just don't know yet. But from what we've been able to scientifically confirm, the building blocks of life CAN remain intact within comets and asteroids. And that begs the question of how many asteroids, comets, or meteorites out there contain these same chemical compounds and amino acids (maybe even micro-organisms) that are essential to the creation of primitive single-celled organisms (much like the single-celled organisms scientists believe eventually evolved to form us on this planet).

-ChriS

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join