It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS Proposes U.S. Gun Laws to Fight Mexican Drug Cartel Violence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The drug cartels will surely be cheering for the passage of such a bill.

Do our handlers even think for a minute?
The US is not the only nation that manufactures firearms.
The gun laws are more stringent in Mexico,I say the US should tell Mexico to enforce their gun laws, and police their own citizens, lest the citizens of the USA are unleashed across the border to take care of the problem at the root.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Hmmm.....

Either those fellas over at DHS have absolutely no idea what the American firearms climate is like (meaning you cant walk into a shop and buy grenades and automatic weapons have been severely limited since the 30's) or they just dont give a flying F how they do it they just want to impose more bans on the public.

They're either incredibly stupid or laughing it up right now and paying out of the office pool to the guy who came up with the winning idea "to save Mexico from drug cartels."

I was just thinking this the other day. I had also read somewhere that they were using automatic weapons. Not at my local firearms dealer.

Another thing is, I don't believe that anyone could get a bulk amount of automatic weapons without going un-noticed. If so then the ATF isn't doing there job properly.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Unfortunately, the reason Mexico comes to the U.S in the first place is because their country as such a strict gun laws. Now, I don't doubt for one minute that grenades and such are provided by international arms dealers, but considering the amount of "average Mexicans" involved in the drug wars-Yes, the easiest way for them to get guns is through loopholes in our system.
Let's look at the latest report from the Brady Center:

To stem the violence in Mexico, we need to prevent criminals and traffickers from buying
guns in the U.S. by plugging loopholes in our gun laws and strengthening law
enforcement’s ability to crack down on corrupt gun dealers. This crisis is not happening
because our border is loose; it is happening because our gun laws allow unlicensed sellers
to sell guns without Brady background checks, military-style assault weapons to be freely
sold, and corrupt dealers to thrive. Making our borders less porous will take years, and will
not stop the imminent Mexican crisis.
2) The same legal loopholes and corrupt gun sellers who arm Mexican criminals also arm
American criminals. While we should heed the call of Mexican officials to help stop the
violence there, we also should heed the call of the majority of Americans who want to stop
the violence in their communities.

www.bradycenter.org...

Makes sense to me.
In fact, the entire Brady report makes perfect sense.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
So does anyone still think that individuals with reason and the ability to think through a problem are hired by the US government. The first of what may well be many end around moves.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
It seems to me the persons behind this proposal should be named and their faces should be posted all over the Internet as Enemies of the Free Peoples of America.

So, lets begin by doing an expose of those behind this proposal - I think it would be best that we all know who our enemies are that walk amongst us.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Damn those democrats.
aholes.

(note;no Im not a republican) so save yourself the time by trying to insult the republicans to piss me off, it wont work =)

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Man, what the hell are the people proposing these bills thinking?

Either way, the Cartels are GOING to HAVE guns, and there we are with no defense. This just amazes me how they think this could be a good decision.

Maybe they should Disarm our troops in Iraq, then theyll be safer.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_awoke
Unfortunately, the reason Mexico comes to the U.S in the first place is because their country as such a strict gun laws. Now, I don't doubt for one minute that grenades and such are provided by international arms dealers, but considering the amount of "average Mexicans" involved in the drug wars-Yes, the easiest way for them to get guns is through loopholes in our system.
Let's look at the latest report from the Brady Center:

To stem the violence in Mexico, we need to prevent criminals and traffickers from buying
guns in the U.S. by plugging loopholes in our gun laws and strengthening law
enforcement’s ability to crack down on corrupt gun dealers. This crisis is not happening
because our border is loose; it is happening because our gun laws allow unlicensed sellers
to sell guns without Brady background checks, military-style assault weapons to be freely
sold, and corrupt dealers to thrive. Making our borders less porous will take years, and will
not stop the imminent Mexican crisis.
2) The same legal loopholes and corrupt gun sellers who arm Mexican criminals also arm
American criminals. While we should heed the call of Mexican officials to help stop the
violence there, we also should heed the call of the majority of Americans who want to stop
the violence in their communities.

www.bradycenter.org...

Makes sense to me.
In fact, the entire Brady report makes perfect sense.

From reading the crap that spews forth from the Brady Center, I would have to conclude that they view the 2nd Amendment as a 'legal loophole'.

It seems everything I see from them uses misinformation and half truths to push their agenda, such as using terms like 'military style assault weapons' to give people the image of fully automatic machine guns when they are really talking about semi auto AR style guns which are no more military than many hunting rifles.

You mention that Mexico has such strict gun laws. They are working well I see. I suppose they also forgot Mexico has a souther border. Those central american countries couldn't possibly be a source for many of those guns.

They also fail to mention, though I'm sure they realize themselves, that a corrupt gun dealer is already breaking the law and therefore a criminal. Why would they believe making more laws will stop them.

If they want to stop the flow of drugs and guns across the border, stronger gun laws are not the answer. The open border is the problem. Fix that first.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by Primordial]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
There's no doubt in my mind that private ownership of firearms in the United States will come to an end this year or the next. Obama, and the liberal elite that backs him, have made it clear that dissolving the 2nd Amendment is on their agenda. I also don't have any doubt that the 'majority' of the United States citizens will be supportive of banning guns, and that those that wish to keep their arms are in the minority. That's just how it is in a country that has become so ideologically bankrupt that it is willing en-mass(sp) to give up freedom for the perception of safety.

Don't being to think that things can be turned around. We're on the road to hell without even so much as a rest stop. They will tax ammo right out of the market, they will mandate that all rounds be serialized, they will mandate that all brass be made in such a way that it cannot be reloaded, they will play on the fears of the public, and there's not thing one that you can do to avert any of those developments. Not even the NRA can stop these things.

The fearful will always say that you don't need a gun of any type. It's up to us, the gun owners, to convince them that there is a place for citizen owned and held arms in our country. Even better if they can be convinced to arm themselves. It's up to us, the gun owners, to make sure that the statistics aren't misrepresented. Even if a firearm is peripherally involved in a crime, even a traffic stop (by simply being stored in a vehicle) the 'crimes' goes into the books as a 'gun related' or 'firearm related' crime which disingenuously pumps up the 'gun related' crimes (I found this out by talking with a police officer I consider trustworthy).

There are going to be dark days ahead, even without the current financial meltdown.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Seems like a fair trade off to me.... They get killed by our guns. Americans die from their drugs.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
If you think for one minute that full auto weapons are cheap, Check out this one item..the opening bid is $14,000. The last one I saw went for $36,000. That's not something I would take to the streets to play with the Mexican cops and have to throw away so you don't get caught!!

gunbroker.com...

Zindo

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Primordial

Oh, I'm aware the open boarder is a problem.
And I pointed out that their strict gun laws were probably the source of the problem.

But also, our lack of regulation is enabling the smuggling to take place.

Mexican cartels often pay U.S. citizens to purchase assault rifles or other guns at gun shops, then sell them to a cartel representative at a U.S. gun show, where registration rules are much less stringent and the gun sale can't be easily traced.

The Brookings Institution has estimated that 2,000 guns enter Mexico from the United States every day.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.cbsnews.com...

The gun laws in the United States allow the sale of multiple military-style rifles to American citizens without reporting the sales to the government, and the Mexicans search relatively few cars and trucks going south across their border.

What is more, the sheer volume of licensed dealers — more than 6,600 along the border alone, many of them operating out of their houses — makes policing them a tall order. Currently the A.T.F. has about 200 agents assigned to the task.

Smugglers routinely enlist Americans with clean criminal records to buy two or three rifles at a time, often from different shops, then transport them across the border in cars and trucks, often secreting them in door panels or under the hood, law enforcement officials here say. Some of the smuggled weapons are also bought from private individuals at gun shows, and the law requires no notification of the authorities in those cases.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.nytimes.com...

So those regulations should not be strengthened? You don't think there are people in this country who, if offered an obscene amount of money (and they are), they would purchase these guns for the cartels?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Yeah, I guess United States gun shops are to blame for the Mexican Cartels use of RPG-7's, M203's, Frag and HE Hand Grenades, C-4, Machetes, Fully Automatic M-16's and M-4 Carbines, Fully Automatic AK-47's, Fully Automatic .50 Cal Browning M2's, MIL Grade .50 Caliber Barrett Sniper Rifles, Silencers, Fully Automatic UZI's, Armor Piercing Rounds, etc.

Yeah, the Citizens of the United States cannot even own ANY of the aforementioned firearms without ATF Licensing, and Non of the explosives regardless. The Knives and Machetes are the only items which American Citizens even share in common with Mexicano Cartels.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
A few random thoughts to bear on this issue:

1) If you look at the pictures and video coming out of this conflict, you'll find that a sizeable proportion of the "US Made" firearms in play are actually Chinese type 56 assault rifles, same as were used by the Viet Cong in Vietnam. They look a lot like AK47's, but there are subtle differences. Why would Chinese arms dealers feel a need to route their weapons to drug cartels via the US? I'll bet you'll find damn few with "made in America" stamped on them. Another well-represented group is German G3's. I think those were made locally in Mexico, and at one time used to equip their army.

2) a "military-style" assault rifle is nothing more than a deer rifle with a flashy paint job. It's a scare phrase intended to provoke an emotional reaction. By contrast, a true blue assault rifle is, by definition, capable of selective fire, and there are damn few of 'em in the US already, and the ones that are here are pretty jealously guarded, as they are expensive and strictly controlled by the government already, being classified as "machine guns".

3) Can someone on the opposition team point out to me what type of US made gun the cartels are using to cut people's heads off with? If you think they might be using knives for that sort of thing, when will DHS decide to confiscate our steak knives to "protect the border"? What about the Chinese steak knives?

4) Maybe, if the US DID pump tons of guns into Mexico, and armed the innocent citizens that are being shot at, so that they could shoot back, the cartels would suddenly find themselves too busy dodging angry bullets to bother our borders all that much? Oh, yeah, guns are alleged to be ILLEGAL in Mexico already... I guess that won't work...

Yup, that's my very own "semi-automatic military-style assault weapon" in the avatar. In other words, it's just a deer rifle with a flashy paint job. Not my deer- hunting cammies, though. Used them cammies for other hunting.

Note to government types: please don't come to molest my poor little "semi-automatic military-style assault weapon". I just don't have enough bullets to make it worth your while. I wouldn't be scary enough. It depresses me...

nenothtu out

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by tac109
Seems like a fair trade off to me.... They get killed by our guns. Americans die from their drugs.

Beautiful, absolutely Beautiful

You have an amazing sense of Logic and Justice, and for that I applaud you.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Either our politicians are THAT stupid...or there is something more sinister as to why they want to disarm the American populace.. I guess an unarmed ppl are easier to push around vs. an armed populace...And let the fearmongering begin!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Why don't they just come out and say what they mean:

"No individual on Earth may be held accountable for their own behavior, with one exception; when an individual attempts to defend their own Creator-bestowed life and liberty from harm, the full weight of the DHS and Department of (In)Justice (known terrorist organizations) shall be brought to bear.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The drug cartels want the US disarmed.
Why? So that the drug users in the US can steal more to support there habits.
There cartel people would be able to cross the border armed with out worrying about getting shot by someone.

Also the drug cartels can get plenty of guns from Cuba, Hugo Chavez in Venezuela, From other parts of the cartel in Colombia South America, Iran North Korea all of them would sell to the cartels.(If they are not allready)

They have so much drug money they could start there own gun factories.

it is imposable that 95% of the guns in the hands of the drug cartels are coming from the US full auto AK47 are not sold in the US.
here's how that 95% story got started.
www.latimes.com...
Last year, 2,455 weapons traces "REQUESTED BY MEXICO" showed that guns had been purchased in the United States.

This means the Mexican cops very likely got a lot more guns (10 to 100 times more?????)from the cartels, But knew they had not come from the US so did not have the US make a check on where they came from.

Mexico only requested a trace on guns THEY knew LIKELY came from the US. But may not even been taken from the cartel people but may have been taken from people in Mexico that had smuggled them in for protection FROM the cartel.

THIS is but a small percent of the guns that were taken from the cartels.
and likely just the cartel people that got caught UNDERARMED when the Mexican cops nabbed them.
(The ones that had the AKs and RPGs likely killed the cops.)

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Oh, yeah! I willingly give up my right to own firearms so the Mexicans won't be killed by their own brothers. NOT! What would I have to defend my homeland with after La Raza attempts to take over the South West, or when the Golden Triangle or the Gulf Coast cartels decide to invade and set up business in my neck of the woods?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Well between the two governments we'll all be dead in no time flat.
Fu&#ing morons can't even pay they're own damn taxes.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join