It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart Took Down CNBC and Jim Cramer - Hard Hitting - Awesome - Best

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Alright watched the unedited full interview on Comedy Centrals website. That is the type of interview people on CNBS should be giving to:Ben Bernanke, Dick "short killer" Fuld, Thain, Jaimie Dimon, Tim Giethner, Alan Greenspan, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Richard Shelby, Phil Gramm, and many many others.

I did notice in the unedited clip that Stewart shared my view of Mark Faber as a legitimate financial reporter. If you want to see what CNBC was like most of the time when this mess started, you should watch on a day like today. The female anchors late in the afternoon will most likely be near orgasmic if the rally holds.

It's sad that one of the best interviews of this entire crisis to date has been done by a comedian to a TV Host/commentator, not by a journalist interviewing a politician/financier.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by jefwane]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
A few more people in the thread get it. It's just a show. They are trying to pacify the fringe audiences, the people who know what is going on, by throwing them a bone.

It's not enough. It's not substancial. It's a comedian grilling a market analyst. Reminds me of the kids in the back seat: "Are we there yet?".

No, most definately we are not "there" yet.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by Zepherian]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
My point is it's all about perception, BH, and you damned well know it.

I didn't know it and I don't really care about perception. This isn't about the NETWORK, it's about one specific interview.

Comedy Central doesn't exactly pride itself on being an outlet for things that should be taken seriously.

And no one is asking you to take Comedy Central seriously. Someone has asked you several times now if you've seen the interview, though.
Because this isn't about CC, it's about an interview where Jim Cramer got absolutely NAILED!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
Damn it I dropped the ball on this ( I intended to post it last night ), glad you did, however...

This thread should get a million s+f, Jon Stewart made all other JOURNALISTS look like
a house full of moistened bints IMHO! It was fantastic and kind of uncomfortable at the same time.

s+f for you!

GO Jon Estewart!

Okay I have to ask... what's a "moistened bint?"
It sounds hilarious whatever it is, lol.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Don't you people have jobs?

If all of you were working instead of spending all this time posting, the markets would be soaring to the stratosphere and Cramer would be a god!!! hahahahaha

Does someone that calls themselves "an investor" really listen to this quack Cramer?

They deserve to lose their money if they make their investment decisions based upon what "he" says.....

Their server must be burning up cause I can't get the thing to play right now. Bet the main stream media won't be showing TOO much of this video. They will have rioting in the streets from all the yuppy guppies that looked at their ipod and texted their broker to "buy" cause they heard Cramer say something.

The guy is like a demented southern baptist preacher on crack. What an azz.

JMHO

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
No, we are not 'there' yet..but its sad when you have to go to what should be a comedy show to get the 'real' story, that CNBC should have been reporting all along.

The clips he showed of Cramer in 2006 are priceless!! I hope that alone opens a lot of peoples eyes.

Maybe this will hit a lot of people that watch the show, that do not normally follow financial blogs and web sites (like Denninger, or even ATS). So to say or imply that having this aired out on Comedy Central isn't very effective may not be true. It may be the RIGHT place to call these people out. Do you think people that watch Larry the Cable Guy are watching C-Span? Maybe some but...

Also made Yahoo news just a few ago.. Stewart vs. Cramer: Winner Take All

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
here's the most humorous part of this whole situation (more pointedly, the conversations that have transpired from this thread)

The people who are supporting these big bad bankers who have tanked the economy are now lashing out at Jon Stewart saying "his show is just a comedy show"

No kidding it's just a comedy show, Comedy Central and Jon Stewart himself have never said otherwise. They make jokes about their own show. Because it's a fart joke type of show that points out the ignorance and overwhelming stupidity that the larger networks won't cover.

but it's a show that appeals to a massive audience that consists of the real people who make this country work.

Big bankers wouldnt have big dollars if it weren't for middle-class american's.

It's another classic double-standard. It's hilarious to watch these filthy rich businessmen and women backpeddling to push blame off on other people. I love how Jon wouldn't let Cramer worm his way out of lies, he grabbed him by the throat and threw him back in that hole that Cramer himself had dug.

It's not about journalism. It's not about politics. It's about Jon Stewart being the voice of the real middle class, not as a front, not as a ploy, but as a real sound voice that echoes most arguments that we've been posting on blogs and websites like ATS.

If you fail to see it that way - i truly feel sorry for you.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by Fremd]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Yeah it is pretty sad when we have to resort to watching comedy central to get informed. Sure it has a slant like everything else but there is more truth in that show than all of the MSM. Plus its nice to laugh alittle considering the day to day doom and gloom we hear everywhere else.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
thedailyshow.com video episodes are not viewable in the UK although the Daily Show is broadcast on Channel 4 freeview: www.channel4.com...

Edited to add:

These links to the unedited Dailyshow interview are viewable outside the U.S.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

YouTube embeds:

10th March

10th March

11 March

11 March

11 March (CNN)

11 March

11 March

12 March

13 March

[edit on 13-3-2009 by EvilAxis]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
**Disclaimer: I have not viewed the interview yet, It is at home on my DVR so I will be able to enjoy it tonight.

With that said, I did see the lead-up to this interview and was very skeptical about it. My gut was telling me that it was going to be another one of those staged pundit battles... sounds like I was wrong.

BUT, to those that are saying that this is not credible and that Jon should not be listened to etc... here is the deal:
Comedy Central started The Daily Show way back in 1996 with Craig Kilborn. Yes, the show was a comedy show where they made fun of the news. In 1998 Jon took over and the format continued but started to turn toward political issues and the national media. Sometime in the 2000's people started to "clue in" to how manipulative and fake the MSM is, so TDS started to exploit this. It was really a giant exercise in irony.

MSM is supposed to tell the news and conduct hard-hitting interviews of political figures and industry experts.
TDS is supposed to make fun and satirize current events.

The MSM is failing miserably in all aspects of real journalism and it is becoming a laughingstock of entertainers with bells and whistles to lead the sheeple however they wish. The MSM over the decades had built a level of trust and integrity but that eroded quickly when they sold out to the corp greedsters that wanted to exploit the trust that MSM had generated over the years..

Meanwhile, the various comedy shows saw this happening, so TDS took it upon themselves to call out the MSM for not doing their jobs. TDS decided that they would do some of the heavy lifting that the MSM was afraid to do. Cramer was just an example of some of the hollow agenda-driven "reporting" that the MSM is doing these days. The purpose of TDS is not to bring us the real news, but MSM is failing so badly at this that TDS had to pick up the reigns.

I am sure TDS would rather go back to pure satire if the MSM would only grow some darn stones and start doing real reporting. Instead we have all of these MSM talking heads from Fox to *NBC to CNN just spewing corporate propaganda and the masses are starting to navigate toward comedy shows to get real news. That is how sad the state of affairs are here in the US.

When I want world news, I usually go to the BBC (although they are getting questionable now) and when I want national and political news I go to TDS. That is just sad.

I would not have a problem if Fox, *NBC, CNN were categorized as 'fluff' channels, but they are supposed to be 'news' channels. They deserve every (snip)punch that comedians, actors and real journalists can give them.

Incidentally, I am waiting for Brian Williams to go on a rant on national tv. He is actually very good friends with Jon Stewart and I think that lately he has been growing sick of the weak journalism out there too. It is high-time that journalists with integrity start saying "NO!" to the agenda being pushed to them by their corporate bosses. It is really interesting when you do some digging and find out who owns the major networks... just remember, the best way to control the people is to make sure they see the world the way you want them to.. That is called propaganda, my friends.

Mod Edit: Please Do Not Evade Automatic Censors

[edit on 3-13-2009 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Great post OP S&F.

The best thing about this is that it demonstrates what news reporting should be.

Have any of you ever noticed that during interviews, the interviewee is never surprised? Its as if the entire interview is scripted, which I am sure it is.

This was totally opposite of your typical interview. Cramer had no idea what was coming. You can tell by the fact he is completely taken off guard by many of the questions. Even 3/4 of the way through the show, he is still totally unprepared to give an answer.

This is how an interview is suppose to look like. Wouldn't it be nice if when you were going to a job interview, if they gave you a list of all of the questions before hand, so you could have prepared answers? Of course, that would defeat the purpose of the interview itself. BINGO!

What this video has done for me is to iterate the point to the American people that NOTHING is real on television. It is all a scripted event, done in the exact image of the big screen; scripts, makeup, and direction. Live television or interviews are nothing more than big screen productions complete with scripts, done in real time. And of course, if something goes wrong, it can always be edited before broadcast.

Frankly, I am shocked that this piece ever even made it to the television. This is a complete eye opener to the public at how even a live interview is not real. This is what a real interview looks like!

Every once in a while you will see a reporter in the press room ask the president a question he is ill prepared for, and almost always, he will just avoid the question. You cannot do that in an interview, thus scripting.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I can't wait to see the video. Crammer is a worm like Madoff, Milkins and a host of other high level crooks in the Market and our government.
Unfortunately these guys somehow are able to squirm away with the dough. The biggest problem facing our society is accountability.
Will we go the way of Rome before we get it back.
Demand accountability!
God bless Jon

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Please, PLEase, PLEAZE!!!!! watch the 'unedited' versions in 3 parts. Jim Cramer says something about not being entirely a homo sapien mid way through part 1!
www.thedailyshow.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

My point is it's all about perception, BH, and you damned well know it.

I didn't know it and I don't really care about perception. This isn't about the NETWORK, it's about one specific interview.

Comedy Central doesn't exactly pride itself on being an outlet for things that should be taken seriously.

And no one is asking you to take Comedy Central seriously. Someone has asked you several times now if you've seen the interview, though.
Because this isn't about CC, it's about an interview where Jim Cramer got absolutely NAILED!

That's where the disconnect is. I'm not talking about this one interview in particular and you are. I'm talking about Jon Stewart's show and the fact that it's on Comedy Central and the fact that Jon Stewart's show historically is nothing but making fun of news events serves to cast doubt when he actually has something to say.

The point is - people will talk about the interview and the conversation may go something like this:

Person A: "Did you see that interview on Jon Stewart last night?"

Person B: "No."

Person A: "Man he did great. He really exposed Jim Cramer!"

Person B: "Isn't that a Comedy show on Comedy Central?"

Person A: "Yeah. But last night was different."

Doesn't matter what Person A says from that point on - if Person B isn't too familiar with Jon Stewart then credibility has already been lost because it's been established that it was from a comedy show on comedy central. Person B does the whole stereotype thing and decides it's probably not worth the time to watch unless he has a vested interest in seeing Jim Cramer go down.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by arcnaver
Its all over drudge.

LOL! 'Cmon guys!

OK OK, I relent. Stewart is now a News Source, he made the Drudgereport!

I stand Corrected.
Throw me to the Wolves.
Take my first born.
Spank my bottom.

All in the name of comedy!

Keep in mind, that it is the comedians who are the only ones who can say what we all really want to say and get away with it.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Z.S.P.V.G.
reply to post by questioningall

Please, PLEase, PLEAZE!!!!! watch the 'unedited' versions in 3 parts. Jim Cramer says something about not being entirely a homo sapien mid way through part 1!
www.thedailyshow.com...

i'm trying to, but it won't let me watch them, keeps asking for login information for comedycentral.com when i click on one of those undedited video links

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I'm not talking about this one interview in particular

Well, you SHOULD be if you're posting in this thread. Check the title: Jon Stewart Took Down CNBC and Jim Cramer - Hard Hitting - Awesome - Best

I'm talking about Jon Stewart's show and the fact that it's on Comedy Central and the fact that Jon Stewart's show historically is nothing but making fun of news events serves to cast doubt when he actually has something to say.

Well, on THAT subject, I watch his show every night and he actually does a lot more than "make fun of the news". Limiting Jon Stewart's contribution to being just a comedian is like saying the (old) Simpson's was just a cartoon. They took on political issues in a satirical way that was sometimes very enlightening. As does Jon's comedy. There's more to his message than comedy for comedy's sake.

If your point is that Comedy Central has no credibility for news, well, ok. But in this particular interview (which IS what this thread is about) Jon did an outstanding and scathing take-down and the network's credibility for news is NOT an issue, except maybe for people who love and sympathize with Jim Cramer OR those who haven't seen the interview.

In either case, I don't really care about some hypothetical discussion between 2 people and as far as I'm concerned, this is a red herring and has nothing to do with the subject of the thread, so this will be my last post addressing the network credibility issue.

I hope you see the interview. I'd be curious what you have to say about it.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

What is your point?

That some people will watch and some wont?

Isn't that like saying if it rains you might get wet, but if you are standing under an awning you might not?

Sounds like a distraction from the actual topic if you ask me.

Here it is in a nutshell...

Cramer tries to make finances entertaining.... Jon says "That's great... but it's not a game! millions of people have lost a lot of money because they listened to CNBC... what personal responsibility does CNBC have to it's viewers to call the liars liars when they are lying? Namely the Paulsons, the Fluds, etc.

Keep in mind, Jon's biggest issue with CNBC is the same issue he had with CNN during the buildup to the war... namely that they were not grilling our government.

Jon would like to see CNBC do the same thing with the financial hierarchy.

Jon's sentiment is summed up in his last few words of the interview...

"If you guys did that, then I could go back to making fart noises and silly faces"

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

That's where the disconnect is. I'm not talking about this one interview in particular and you are. I'm talking about Jon Stewart's show and the fact that it's on Comedy Central and the fact that Jon Stewart's show historically is nothing but making fun of news events serves to cast doubt when he actually has something to say.

He might makes jokes about absurd things in the US government...but just because Jon Stewart says things in a way that make people laugh doesn't mean his points are less worthy. Points can be made by using comedy itself. He regularly shows clips of politicians saying one thing and then saying the opposite at another point in time...if he then makes a joke about that, does it make it less credible? His show isn't made up news...it is jokes about real news.

And historically, Jon Stewart has "owned" many people on their own shows on different networks. I've personally seen 3 or 4 occurrences, and I wouldn't doubt there have been more.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by Nickmare]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Great points, and to add to that, Jon is doing to Cramer what he did to those baffoons that used to host "Crossfire" (remember that?)

he's calling it like it is.

Some in this thread are trying to discredit Jon Stewart as "just a comedian" and yes, he is a comedian, but as Benevolent Heretic points out, he has an undeniable and extremely intelligent glow beneath his silly fart jokes.

To those who are writing him off as "just a comedian" all you are doing is masking your guilt with a spin trying to say ol Jon isn't reputable and reliable because he's a comedian.

Hmm.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by Fremd]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join