It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sir David Attenborough and the Yeti

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Sir David Attenborough believes there is ‘very convincing’ evidence that yetis exist.
Speaking on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross, the revered wildlife expert said: ‘I’m baffled by the Abominable Snowman - very convincing footprints have been found at 19,000ft.

‘No-one does that for a joke. I think it’s unanswered.’
The yeti is an ape-like creature said to inhabit the Himalayan region of Nepal and Tibet.

A photograph of a mysterious footprint, rumoured to be that of the yeti was taken in the Menlung Basin in the Himalayas in 1951.

Couldn't find anything whilst searching, so I thought I'd bring it up here.

Cryptomundo

[edit to put in the ruddy link]
[edit on 13-3-2009 by TheOmen]

[edit on 13-3-2009 by TheOmen]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I find it interesting that Sir David Attenborough - a renowned broadcaster and naturalist, would come out with this.

He has countless hours of footage and experience with wildlife across the globe and I would believe him if he told me they existed!

What is everyone else'e opinion on this?

Better than a thread on Vamps I'm sure

tO

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
From what I recall, he also helped with the BBC April Fools Hoax to do with the flying penguins (a classic lol). If so, then I'd say this could be getting ready for the next april fools joke from BBC.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I think it could be more than that.

Seems a bit pointless, and harsh to do something like that.

Flying penguins were good, but I would expect something similar to that rather than the possibility of a Yeti.

Although I'm not discarding your idea

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I seen the show when David Attenborough was on it and by no means was he joking, He talked about the Loch Ness monster and said he did not believe in her (how could he not!)
When asked about the Yeti he said there was very convincing evidence, It was no joke.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
He's right. People can fake footprints on the edge of forests but noone goes up 19000ft into the Himalayas to plant a fake footprint that coul quite possible never get found or covered up by snow within hours.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOmen

My instinct is that the Yeti is a mix of ancient Himalayan mythology and telling Western travelers what they want to hear. These areas are extremely poor when compared to the West. Tales of Yetis encourages tourism and the expeditions pay Sherpa for guidance. During the warmer season, Westerners boost the local economy. Outside commerce is intrinsic to their quality of life.

The footprints are never supported by any other evidence. Scalps and hairs have been analyzed and been found to be either monkey or human.

Sir David Attenborough is an extraordinary man who's lived an extraordinary life. I believe he'll be seen as a major 20th/21st century figure in the history books of the future. He's unique. Like Arthur C Clarke's 'glass worms' on Mars, Attenborough's ideas of Yeti will be seen as a misinterpretation of evidence. His legacy will outshine this minor example.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I don't think that there is anything that the lovely Mr Attenborough could say that I wouldn't believe, I was practically weaned on him, love every bone in his body. If he says the Yeti is a possibility, then the Yeti is a possibility. And why not.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout
I don't think that there is anything that the lovely Mr Attenborough could say that I wouldn't believe, I was practically weaned on him, love every bone in his body. If he says the Yeti is a possibility, then the Yeti is a possibility. And why not.

I Love your style!

I grew up watching his documentaries, and know that he is an expert.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liamoville
He's right. People can fake footprints on the edge of forests but noone goes up 19000ft into the Himalayas to plant a fake footprint that coul quite possible never get found or covered up by snow within hours.

Yes they would that would be the whole point. Make a fake print, take a photo of it, the snow will cover it so it will never be found again - impossible to be proved or unproved.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by andre18]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
if sir dave says its real then its damm well real
case closed yetis real move on folks nothing to see hear

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
It's kinda cool that he has decided to attach his reputation to something that is still unproven, but I think if he says there is a possibility that the yeti exist, then he's really taken the time to investigate it and thinks that it's worth commenting on. There must be so many things that we've never seen or experienced yet...we can't just rule it out.

And my favourite Sir Dave quote?

"Why should i retire? I'm only 81."

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOmen

Well if the yeti exists there, there must be a breeding population.
And for a breeding population to exist, there must be enough food to support a breeding population.
To the OP, I ask, is there enough food to support the hypothetical population?

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that an ape-like creature could exist as man did survive an ice age.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Unless of course whomever took the photo of the prints or saw the prints, were the hoaxers...
Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
reply to post by TheOmen

And for a breeding population to exist, there must be enough food to support a breeding population.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that an ape-like creature could exist as man did survive an ice age.

I know what you mean, and it's the only thing that gets me. I by all means am certainly no wildlife expert, and I don't know the animals that live in the himalayas. But I would think that there is some plant life of somesorts up there, and maybe that would be enough to support a small population. As I said I'm no expert so don't quote me on anything!!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Unless of course whomever took the photo of the prints or saw the prints, were the hoaxers...
Just a thought.

Good thinking...

But unless they're up there for that reason, I don't think they really would.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOmen

reply to post by TheOmen

I know what you mean, and it's the only thing that gets me. I by all means am certainly no wildlife expert, and I don't know the animals that live in the himalayas. But I would think that there is some plant life of somesorts up there, and maybe that would be enough to support a small population. As I said I'm no expert so don't quote me on anything!!

Doesn't have to be a herbivore, surely there are small mammals and birds up there.

Actually upon looking, it seems quite diverse;

www.iloveindia.com...

There are even big cats, which tallies with the Yeti being a biped. Gets more and more reasonable the more you look at it and it kind of follows with Convergent Evolutionary theory. Especially if you think about the evolutionary timeline in relation to India crashing into the continent, isolation and subsequent evironmental adaptation. Could be a distant relative. Hmm?

I like it even more, but when has Sir Attenborough ever let me down *sigh*.

Edit: Poor etiquette, correction from Mr, forgot about the Knighthood.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by KilgoreTrout]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Just a thought.

Good thinking...

Maybe they were on a climbing expedition and thought that finding a yeti print might be a nice story to tell around the fire. Just speculation of course but I could see it happening.
On the other side of things, there are so many area's of our planet that still are not thoroughly explored so anything is possible.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Yeah I totally agree.

It is definaitely a possibility, not one I would hope is true mind.

But I can see people doing that.

tO

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

i think they would. just for something fun to do while there. and there would be more tracks than 1 if something actually walked there. maybe they were too lazy to make more than one ;P

top topics

join