It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researcher Faked Data for 21 Studies Involving Vioxx, Celebrex and Other Drugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Medical journals have been asked to retract 21 studies that touted the benefits of Vioxx, Celebrex and other drugs. According to The Wall Street Journal, Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Mass. is asking the journals to make the retractions because its former chief of acute pain, Dr. Scott S. Reuben, had faked data used in the studies.

In addition to Vioxx and Celebrex, some of the 21 studies involved the fibromyalgia drug Lyrica and the antidepressant Effexor XR. Reuben’s study claimed to show that these drug worked well as painkillers, the Journal said. All of the studies were published between 1996 and 2008.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Researcher Faked Data for 21 Studies Involving Vioxx, Celebrex and Other Drugs

Hello, not sure if this has been posted yet, did a search and apparently no. I've never posted anything here before but I find this news to be absolutely appalling. If it's true it'd give people even more reason to distrust the pharmaceutical and medical industry.

This may be why Vioxx was found to cause increased risk of heart attacks and stroke and was withdrawn in 2004. Because the information about its risk/benefits were fraudulent to begin with.

On September 30, 2004, Merck voluntarily withdrew rofecoxib from the market because of concerns about increased risk of heart attack and stroke associated with long-term, high-dosage use. Rofecoxib was one of the most widely used drugs ever to be withdrawn from the market. In the year before withdrawal, Merck had sales revenue of US$2.5 billion from Vioxx.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 13/3/2009 by mandrake]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mandrake

Well that's just great man. 2 more meds that I have taken this past year on the sh*t list, I already scrapped lipitor after numerous side effects, started drinking plain ole orange juice and my cholesterol is great. I have been taking celebrex for about a year now, I am wondering what some of the side effects are now that may not be listed, because I have other conditions now that are being treated!!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The same idiot that said my knee was fine (after seeing my kneecap on the side of my leg) wanted to put me on celebrexx long term for pain (despite saying I was fine he wanted me on pain meds). I told him thanks, took the prescription and promptly shredded it. I had already heard the stories about ulcer problems among others from short term use of it, and decided there was no way in hell I was taking it long term.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
While I am in generally great health (Hardly ever get sick), I suffer from debilitating back pain due to Scoliosis. My doctor gave me a ton of Celebrex capsules for the pain, I took them for about a week and it had no effect on the pain but I had a TON of side effects which include:
Acne
Muscle Pain
Headaches
Sleep Loss
Water Retention
and Nausea

Then it turns out I'm allergic to NSAIDS, which Celebrex is one. So that throws most painkillers out the window for me.
Just to make it all better I'm also allergic to Tylenol, Astemetiphine, and most of the newer pain killers.

I'll go back to my good ol' Aspirin, thank you.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I found the following,

This is actually not the first time the integrity of studies involving Vioxx have come into question. Last April, we reported that an analysis of court documents uncovered in the course of Vioxx injury lawsuits found that Merck & Co. employees worked alone or with publishing companies to write Vioxx study manuscripts and later recruited academic medical experts to put their names as first authors on the studies. According to the analysis, which was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, Merck’s involvement in producing the data wasn’t disclosed in many cases.

to be quite telling, although I couldn't find the article they refer to on their website.

[edit on 13/3/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
One of the biggest problems with healthcare costs is these rip-off big pharma companies. My husband has a pain pump implanted for severe, inoperable degenerative disc disease. A side effect of having this pump is that it lowers testosterone. My husband was tested and his levels were extremely low, so the Dr. prescribed testosterone. The cost for ONE month supply was $212.00. I work in the same building with a pharmacist (thank God for this guy) and he suggested that he could compound this for us with approval from his Dr. Well, the cost of a month supply now is $10.00, yes I said $10.00!!!! The pharmacist told me that most of the cost was the stupid dispenser they marketed the drug in. This is just one example of how greedy, corrupt and stupid these companies are. I could go on and on but I don't have all day.
This guy that lied should have charges brought up against him since his lies have KILLED PEOPLE!! What a PIECE OF S _ _ _!!!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

You should do some research on these cholesterol drugs, you wouldn't believe how bad they are for you. I read an article (I'll try to find it) that said that those drugs deteriorate your muscles, and they do!! I work with a man that has hardly any leg muscles left, they are practically just bone. He said that he use to be a very muscular guy until he started taking that drug.
Well, guess what your HEART IS MADE OF, MUSCLE!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

join