It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Your Mind's Eye do you worry when you pull the trigger? What if its your own kid shooting at you

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
If someone menacingly attempted to kill anyone in my family I wouldn't hesitate to send them back to the Father.

We as humans on this earth need to respect life and rights of others and those that threaten one and kill will be emboldened to do it again. Send them back to the Father to judge.

If it was my own kid (was that the question?) my own kid? That wouldn't happen unless he lost his marbles like being drugged. He would be disabled and told to never pull a gun on family again.

Never pull a gun or other weapon on someone unless you plan on using it. If you do, you better damn well make sure you hit the target.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by backyard guru
All these shootings that are taking place, scare the living crap out of me.

It might help ease your mind to know that "all these shootings" are actually very few and very far between. There is no epidemic of gun-related death in America, although the American Medical Association and Centers for Disease Control have tried to convince lawmakers that such an epidemic exists.

Please keep in mind that our American press also sensationalizes gun violence far beyond any actual threat to the population. If you want a more objective perspective on gun-related death in America, you need look no farther than the U.S. Census, which compiles many arcane and interesting statistics on death in this country.

According to the U.S. Census, only about 1% of all fatalities (deaths due to mishap or assault) can be attributed to firearms. That's not 1% of the entire population, that's 1% of those who die by other than natural means. So, of all the people who are accidentally or intentionally killed every year in America, only 1% die by gunshot.

Here's where the U.S. Census puts things in perspective: Only 1% of fatalities in America are due to firearms. You are 5 times more likely to die by suffocation with a plastic bag over your head. You are 40 times more likely to die in a car wreck.

So, do plastic bags scare the living crap out of you? Knowing what you know now, will you stop driving your car? Well. Of course not.

Like airplane crashes, gun-related deaths get a lot more press than they deserve, and the hysteria-driven press is intended to frighten you. That's because those kinds of deaths are at the extreme end of our imagination. That's what makes them newsworthy, because they are so sensational and out of the norm. I mean, as horrific as a jetliner crash may seem, flying is still the safest way to travel — a hell of a lot safer than driving your SUV down to the grocery store, in fact. So, like airplane crashes, gun-related deaths are blown out of all proportion in the press, creating the illusion that the threat is far greater than it actually is.

But hold on, let's take this a step further.

Do you realize that over 80 million Americans legally own some 220 million firearms? That's 220,000,000 guns, emphasizing the zeros. This is a greater number of firearms than many, many combined military forces. The United States military doesn't have even a tenth of that firepower.

A tenth of that firepower — only 22 million guns — could overthrow all of Central America and Canada in one afternoon, if the guns were all pointed in the proper directions. We are talking about American citizens privately owning the largest arsenal that the world has ever seen. American citizens, if sufficiently motivated, could overthrow whole nations by force of arms.

Yet. Yet, only 1% of all fatalities in America are gun-related. How is it possible that a population so heavily armed is at greater risk of suffocating with plastic bags over our heads??

The answer is simple — the vast, vast majority of American gun owners are intelligent, educated, and tolerant. We know our firearms, we know our rights, and we respect the law. We're not hot-heads, we're not trigger-happy, we're not hicks and racists and hillbillies and all the other pejorative terms thrown at us by the anti-gun movement.

We are going to be the last ones standing, I can promise that — not because we own and use guns, but because we have backbones.

— Doc Velocity

WTG! Doc

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Way to go about the guns and stuff. I started looking this stuff up on the internet and everywhere I went the same thing poped up. Doctor's kill more people than guns, guns were at the bottom of everylist.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Yeah, swimming pools kill more people than guns. But a gun-related death is extraordinary, and the press will milk it for days.

So, when you see the sensational, screaming headlines about some guy going nuts and blowing away everybody on his hit-list, remember that this has been going on all throughout human history, long before guns were ever invented, and it goes on today in nations where private gun ownership is banned, also.

One of the least publicized and most grisly massacres that ever occurred was in gun-free Japan, just a few years ago. Guy went nuts, charged into a school armed with a paring knife, okay? He murdered 8 children and injured 21 other children and adults. With a paring knife.

For sheer savagery and horror, the paring knife killer blows away the gun massacres on school campuses in the West. The only way it could have been more gruesome would be if he had chosen to murder all those kids with a baseball bat or with cinder blocks.

See, the issue is not about the weapon, it's about the intent of the human mind. Take away the gun, and the killer grabs a knife. Ban the knife, and he grabs a golf club, and so on.

The problem is the mental decay fostered by city living — see the research done with rats, simulating an oppressive urban environment — and the ineffectual rage of humanity against The System. That is the problem, not the weapon du jour.

Now, having ranted off-topic and having pushed your kind patience to the limit, I'll actually answer the OP's original question: Could I Pull the Trigger?

Yes, I could pull the trigger on a bad guy, and I wouldn't stand there and deliver a soliloquy before dropping the hammer, either. The less said, the better. Engaging the bad guy in conversation only deteriorates your resolve. As far as I'm concerned, once you make that decision to employ deadly force, all the thinking and talking are done. By the time you have a loaded weapon, with a round chambered, pointed at a living human being, you had damn well better already know what you're doing and why you're doing it. That's called clarity and focus.

If it was a kid threatening me with a firearm, I'd just aim lower.

If it was my kid holding a firearm on me — well, this is an absurd scenario, on the face of it. My kid would know what I'd do if he drew down on me, and he would never place himself in that position. If he went against what he knew and pointed a gun at me, then I would know he was really, really screwed up in the head. Then I would have to make a decision about which shoulder to shoot to disable him — keeping in mind that my insurance has to cover his medical — and then I'd pull the trigger.

Point is, if you draw the gun, you use it.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/13/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Anyone who carries around a gun without the intention to go hunting is a damn fool.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wisen Heimer
Anyone who carries around a gun without the intention to go hunting is a damn fool.

Sounds like a future victim.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/13/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk
reply to post by backyard guru

Shoot the bad guys, ask later

But if it was my kid, I'll happily take the bullet. I probably deserved it for keeping the gun within a child's reach. That's irresponsibility for another life on my part, the child could've accidentally killed himself/herself

This isnt about youngsters accidently getting your gun.
its more about assuming a survival situation, where its a matter of life and death, i.e. last bit of food, blah blah.
not my 6 year old found my gun stash.
I could understand the feelings you have, but thats not really what this ones about, my friend.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This is about your kid coming after you and your family as in the shooting in alabama, it isnt about a kid getting your gun on accident or playing around. In the alabama shooting a son shot his mother and other family members. The question is as this, if your own child is going to shoot you or your other family members, do you shoot them, do you let them shoot you, do you shoot to wound, what do you do in this case? How they appropiate a gun in this exersize would be either by own purchase as they are of age and not underaged, or as a teenager off of the street, not any of your guns, you have done nothing wrong in this exersize, your guns are secure.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I pull my gun - it’s to pull the trigger, period.
If it was my child shooting others, out of control, freaking out and I had to choose to let my child shoot me or go on hurting others - I would hope I would be string enough to take out my own child.
If need be who better to do it than the Mother.
I would feel his/her pain, and, a my own responsibility to have not done something right that led to my child killing in a spree.
Or, my child would be controlled by MK Ultra - in other words - would be better off dead.
Am I that strong?
I don’t know.
It’s not a test I want to take.

peace

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: I have absolutely no worries or concerns about killing anybody including myself as I'm Professionally INSANE! RE: Highly functioning Psycopathic Sociopathic Paranoid Violent Schizophrenic for past 20 years on Government pension! [No its NO JOKE!
]. I just spent 3wks in a local asylum due to homicidal tendencies [onset of acute prodromal stage of my illness due to issues to do with medication and all triggered by the Arsonists who started fires in Victoria [my g/f lost many friends and she herself had to double her depression medication and take 2wks off for stress leave!
]] and I was seriously going to hunt and take down my targets with extreme prejudice [think along the lines of flaying somebody alive with a blunt wooden spoon!] and this would of resulted in suicide by cop as I'm never going to prison ever! Luckily I called the cops on myself before I went all tropical.

CAVEATE: I must have a [IMO] VALID reason [i.e. it must be easily explained and follow a high level of logic but it can be completely unreasonable from the POV of HUMAN laws...I operate at the level of UNIVERSAL LAW that sez HUMAN LAW "DOESN'T PROTECT YOU AT ALL...IT JUST PUNISHES THE ""CRIMINAL"" AFTER THE FACT!"...care to dispute this?

For example....I hold that BOTH my parents have MURDERED ME ALREADY by their actions in creating me as both mortal [death sentence] and vulnerable [callous disregard for me personally] and this is a FACT created by them both when they both SHOULD have know BETTER [university trained DAMNIT!!!]...Now I could hold this against them and previously I have and have acted on this with deadly intent as I chased my mum around the house at age of 15yrs old with a large butchers knife and a meat cleaver with the aim of slaughtering and eating her! So killing anything for me is easy peasy. I just need a really good reason! Please don't give me one OK!

Personal Disclosure: I seriously don't advocate that anybody follow my example! But if you do then please be a real man and call the cops on yourself like I did. It can do wonders for your machismo!!!

Edited to Star and Flag the OP.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by OmegaLogos]

Here is an example of what could be on your kids mind when he is knocking on your door at three in the morning, of course that is if he doesn't have a key of his own to come in, I have keys to my parents house, but in no way want to kill or eat them, I would protect them against my brother who does act alot like the above forementioned who I might add doesn't have a key.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I will go one step further with this, I have actually warned my kids that I love them with all my heart and would take a bullet to save them from a death from a bad person, but at the same time I have interjected that I would not let them take my life, and GOD help them if they were to try. Being a parent in this modern messed up world full of gang shootings, school shootings, church shootings, domestic shootings, should I go on ...
is rough, my kids know I will protect them from others, but if they gun for me they will lose,
bottom line...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by backyard guru

Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: I'm glad that I my post registers as an example. Thanks for the kudo's.

Personal Disclosure: To disambiguate my previous post a little, I must disclose that my mum is still alive and I haven't chased anybody around with knives for over a decade. Also I take my medication very seriously and very regularly and I attend fortnightly counselling sessions with my case manager and I see my psychiatrist every 3 months. [NOTE: I called the cops on ME and this is purely because I take both my mental health and the well being of my community very seriously!]

P.S. SORRY TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE BTW but needing a key to get to "YOU" is NOT REQUIRED when $5 worth of burning petrol at both your front and backdoors [at night while you're sleeping] will do the job nicely because when someone is waiting outside to cane you in the head with a trench shovel [or worse] as you flee in terror! , then the effectiveness of your locked doors is sorta bunkum! Seriously!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Edited to remove double posting!

Personal Disclosure: sorry about that!

[edit on 13-3-2009 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

First if they are burning the doors wouldn't neibors be alerted? My neibors are pretty crazy and would stop that. Second, a fire atracks police and fire fighters, "no get away for the crook, and third if the doors are on fire I am leaving out a window so there goes your plan right there.

After you started the first fire that should wake everyone up and one of the things I would grab on leaving would be my gun, documents are in a safe but can not replace that. Another one is petro does not burn like stuff like you think it would. It would take some time to get the house to catch with 5 dollars worth, if it did not put itself out by the time you got the next door it would go out as soon as I hit it with a fire extinguisher thinking a poo bag had gone wrong.

Rethink your plan if anything, a little oil at the top of a glass bottle with the petro through a window or on the door will burn longer and hotter, through the window and it will spread very quick. On the door it still my put itself out. I have steel doors but through my window is carpet couch magazines you see my point.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by bcroper

Explanation: I feel your post is sorta off topic but I will answer your post directly....Here goes....

1] Burning doors and alerted neighbors....3 am in the morning and most people are dead asleep [no pun intended] and its more likely that the victims own smoke alarms would alert them 1st and they would be thinking "escape the fire" and NOT "escape my child who wants to kill me with extreme prejudice!". As to the rescue services attending? Well a little distraction created by timed device would take care of that because they just don't have the no#'s to combat multiple simultaneous disasters in my local area and my distraction would target important community infrastructure!

2] Escaping via a window vs the doors. I would be fully aware that my parents [or any other victim/s targeted] would most likely prefer to escape without getting burned and would go the windows. So there they are trying to carry a loaded weapon and all their important info and begin climbing out the window [I would most likely hear it being flung open] which is uncomfortable and ungainly at the best of times let alone when the pressure of fear is pumping through your veins and bang, like a shot I would be on them with my preferred weapon of choice [i.e. trench shovel as its got over 4ft of reach!]. and how hard is it to line a window sill with barbed wire [or broken glass etc] before any fires are started.

3] Any flammable liquid will do!!! Have enough and give it a 2ndry fuel source [lets say a small square of carpet] and BOB just could be your UNCLE! Also while the victim goes the fire with the fire extinguisher I will be going them.

4] Why would I go a Molitov cocktail through the window when most doors in Australia are wood and 2ndly I don't want them to burn [well not at 1st]...I would want to cane them in the head...personally and savagely as I look into their terrorized bewilded eyes! Its not just about killing the target but how you want them to suffer!

Personal Disclosure: Yes I do see your point and its extremely valid but all your post did was prove my point that locked doors don't protect you from a determined intelligent aggressor. They can make you come to them!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Hmm. Well if it were my child I know that I could never pull the trigger on him even if he were to kill me. If it were someone else? Yeah I could probably pull the trigger. Not to kill, maybe just in the leg to hopefully imobilize him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join