It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl Sues for Right to Wear Tux to Prom

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I recently graduated. Our school had us pay 90 dollars each, 70 dollars for couple tickets.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

My daughter or son wouldn't be going to Prom if I had to pay that much. I think she is compaining about the wrong thing.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Let them cross dress, but keep the tradition. Make either Tux or Dress mandatory, but not contingent upon sex. Gender identity is a social phenomenon that is compatible regardless of the chromosomal character of any individual. If they are being larks, they should be frowned upon. Also, we can count on rational behavior to make sure people aren't going to go crazy. If people expect to made fun of, they won't go through with it. I wouldn't go in a dress, but that's just me. Otherwise, if they expect to be accepted just to make a political statement, then they're just being weird, but so's life. I wouldn't want to be remembered as the guy that just wanted to make a statement and ruin everyone's night on the one occasion that all your friends will probably hold dear for the rest of their lives... it would be incompetent, not to mention awkward. The socialization of males is also much more less forgiving. Don't be gender blind. This isn't going to open a pathway for guys to start wearing dresses. It will probably never occur.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by cognoscente]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
She should be allowed to dress however she wants to, provided nothing is hanging out! (LOL) Seriously, how is it going to affect anyone at school, I am sure she is well known as a lesbian already, I don't think expressing herself is going to damage the rest of the students.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I think she is just wanting to cause a scene, and force everyone to HER way of thinking.

It was either Jefferson or Franklin (can't remember) who said "In matters of style, be as the river. In matters of principle, be as the rock". (paraphrased)

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I don't see an issue with her wearing a tux.

It's acceptable, if not expected, that women wear suits in an office environment. I don't see why she can't do the same for prom.

It's all about keeping the schools dress code in line with business dress code... that's where they're expected to end up.

No it's not acceptable for men to wear a dress to work, so if you use the business dress code, that won't be a problem in school.

But it is quite often expected that women wear a suit instead of a dress in office environments.

Formal is formal. In a prom it's just a fancier version of formal. Instead of office dresses, there are prom dresses. Instead of suits, there are tuxes. Women can wear suits in the work place, so let them wear tuxes to the prom.

I've seen it done here in Canada at a prom... nobody cared. And no, we don't have boys dressing in prom dresses.
I fail to see why it's so controversial to Americans.

Heck, I remember the prom registration on the women's side of the paper asking what color their dress/tux will be.
On the men's side it was only tux.

We joked about men in a dress, but nobody ever got serious about it.

But on that topic. Would you be offended if a scottish/irish student at a local high school wore a kilt to prom?

I'm sorry if this girl wearing a tux doesn't fit neatly into your christian view of the world... but lets face it... not much does.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
To say "their dance, their rules" doesn't fly. It doesn't work when concerning citizen rights in the US, shouldn't work for this. It's like saying "Government can do what it wants to you, I mean you are living in their country".

I think she is just wanting to cause a scene, and force everyone to HER way of thinking.

Same with protesters too, they don't care about the causes they fight for, they just do it to cause a scene and gain attention
She is forcing everyone to her way of thinking? lol, so telling her what to wear isn't forcing her into a their way of thinking? Applying gender stereotypes isn't forcing a certain mindset? I find that comment funny because by nature they're forcing students to use their way of thinking on dresscode.

What exactly is "her way of thinking"? Gays that want to marry are probably doing it just to force people into their way of thinking, yeah right.

Like I mentioned before, if you look like a man, can you wear a tux? What if you're a female, but look like a man. Hypothetically, you could have two identical people that have male characteristics. Exactly the same outward physical traits except one has female parts, but besides that they look exactly the same. How exactly does having female parts affect anyone when its all hidden under clothes and the outward appearance, in this example, is the same? If you can't answer those questions, which no one will be able to, then you don't have the foresight to have an opinion in this case. It's impossible to differentiate because when it comes down to it, gender and one's perceived gender doesn't matter and NO ONE has the right to force a gender on someone.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I think they should be allowed to wear whatever they want, maybe with the option of being able to demand that it be "formal"....
hey if this girl wants to wear a tux, let her, if the boy wants to wear a dress to the prom, well, let him. tell, ya what guys, all of you wear a dress to school or work one day...and come back and tell me if you would do it again or not!!

by sticking to the enforcement of dress codes, all we do is make obstinate teenagers want to dress out of the norm. take away the dress codes, and well, let peer pressure to the job, and the kids will learn quite quickly why one should try to stay within the norm.
as for me, I will dress according to comfort everytime. and will buck anything that demands I do differently. seldom wear a dress, and well I would be contacting the lawyers myself if you tried to make me wear high heels!
heck, I took an "F" on a college assignment for just this reason....you have no right to dictate how I dress! be glad that I do dress!! even this seems to be a problem for some in our society!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
take away the dress codes, and well, let peer pressure to the job, and the kids will learn quite quickly why one should try to stay within the norm.

Ain't that the truth. Get out of line with dress and someone will shoot you in the . twice for being who you are. I'm sure the other kids will look at little Larry King and remember to never step outside the societal norm.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

ya, well, there was a time when peer pressure wasn't so violent...
the cause of all that violence is another issue altogether and needs to be looked at separately!!! AND ACTED UPON!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

I'm not sure if all highschools are like this, but my school prom is completely the responsibility of the junior class. The class is responsible for raising all of the necessary funds for the entire event to cover the venue, decorations, etc...and if the class decided to have the prom at the school instead of some other venue, the class paid for the use of the school that night. The only thing my school provided was chaperons, basically to make sure the students weren't out having sex on the dance floor. Also, all of these chaperons were strictly volunteers, no tax dollars in that figure

For instance, my prom we had at a local university's ballroom. We collected class dues in previous years in addition to other fundraisers to accrue the funds to rent this for the evening and pay for all of the decorations to go along with our theme. Ticket prices were $65 a couple to cover any additional costs. As you can see, this was the STUDENT's prom in our case as we had covered everything. In all honesty, I don't think my school would have had a problem with a girl wearing a tux, though. A guy in a dress on the other hand, they probably might have had a problem.

No tax dollars in our prom.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

The thing about "Their property, their rules" is that not only is everything paid for either through the junior class, or through the senior's tickets, but most often, the prom isn't on school property.

So they're paying for it, they're off school property, and yet they still have to abide by their homophobic rules?

[edit on 13-3-2009 by sadisticwoman]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join