It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico blasts Forbes for putting drug lord on list

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Mexico blasts Forbes for putting drug lord on list

news.yahoo.com

MEXICO CITY – Mexico is decrying Forbes Magazine's decision to include the reputed leader of one of the country's most violent drug cartels on its list of billionaires.
Forbes ranks Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, with an estimated $1 billion fortune, at No. 701 — between a Swiss oil-trading tycoon and an American chemical heir.
Guzman, Mexico's most-wanted fugitive, is believed to head the Sinaloa cartel.
President Felipe Calderon said Thursday that "magazines are not only attacking and lying about the situation in Mexico but are also praising criminals."
Mexico's Attorney General Eduardo Medina Mora said Forbes is defending crime by "comparing the deplorable activity of a criminal wanted in Mexico and abroad with that of honest businessmen."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Well...look at what we have here!!

We should be proud of a drug lord's insertion into the list of wealthiest people in the world!

He is worth 1 billion dollars of drug money.

Makes me proud.

Snort a line...make a criminal who beheads people rich.

We are great at doing that in this country aren't we....you know...making the corrupt rich....

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Classic.

Why would they do such a thing? Could it be something as simple as pushing the issue of ending prohibition? Or something more sinister as in hey everybody go deal drugs.

I don't know but that is pretty low. Maybe Mexico should take a hint that they should do something about it.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Yeah, it could be that.

I was also thinking that they wanted to pool him in with the rich...since everyone hates the rich nowadays.

Make him look even more evil than he already is....or it could be just to make him famous...bring it to more people's attention to what is happening.

Who knows.

ooooh..

This could also be payback for Mexico calling our government corrupt a few days ago.

Which..of course...is completely true.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Two very valid points too.

It is still crazy though, I mean I use to think Forbes was a respectful publication after this I'm not so sure.

It could also be cluing people into how much money is finding its way back into Mexico through the black market.

I don't know.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Personally, I do feel like Forbes sent the wrong message.

Basically, tells people that crime does pay. I also feel there was an ulterior motive for putting that guy on the list. I would also like to know how they calculated his worth. Last time I checked, one couldn't buy stocks of illegal drugs on the stock market.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

It very well could have been.

This is the first time i've heard of the guy..or seen someone's name in print.

It almost seems like a mark has just been placed on the guy because of it.

Could he be the new Bin Laden?

YOu are right though...strange that Forbes would include him in this list. Why didn't they add all the corrupted bankers as well?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I would also like to know how they calculated his worth. Last time I checked, one couldn't buy stocks of illegal drugs on the stock market.

Good point as well. Now that has me thinking....did they make up the numbers?

or

Did Forbes get some inside information?

Strange indeed.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

That issue would be longer than the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act!

I'm at a lost with this one. Some things just don't have an explanation.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

lol..no doubt about that....the numbers would be staggering as well.

People would flip if that were to happen.

If this guy ends up being our next Bin Laden...this would be the start.

Edit: After looking over post...edited for lameness.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by David9176]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Maybe next year they can add other drug lord billionaires from other countries.

The report noted "a significant and growing illegal drug problem" in Cambodia. It praised the country for destroying seized drugs and stiffening penalties for drug use and trafficking but said corruption hampers government efforts.

The State Department called the scope of the drug problem in the Philippines "immense," despite law enforcement efforts to disrupt major drug organizations. Still, the report said, the government had some success enforcing counter-narcotics laws.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

What is the deal with the US criticizing all these drug producing countries as of late?

The CIA must be losing out to their competition.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

hmmmm....

It also could be propaganda to show that we could keep all this money here by legalizing.

This is weird....they've been doing this stuff for years...and now they start picking out names.

I"m glad they are doing it with Mexico...something needs to be done about it...so i can't complain.

They are putting a face on the enemy. What do you guys think?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Now,

"To the best of my knowledge", the requirements to be listed by Forbes is have a lot of money.

I don't believe it matter if you earned it, inherited it or are a king/prince...., it only looks at the money they have or are estimated to have.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Speaking of CIA they should have put them on the list.

That is probably what it is. The black budgets aren't as heavily funded anymore, so now the drug war is bad. Because our guys aren't the ones getting all the profit.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people getting murdered are CIA operatives.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Well is he the first drug dealer to be on the list or only one?

I would find it hard to believe that there isn't another one out there who would fit on the list.

Anyone know?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Forbes had another drug lord on list in 1989

For Escobar, it at first paid off spectacularly, with Forbes magazine ranking him among the world's 10 richest men in 1989, when he was in his thirties.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Guzman has a 5 million dollar bounty on him.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

ah...i remember that guy. Mostly because of the movie "Blow." (which is a great movie btw)

It pays to be corrupt. Maybe Obama will appoint him to a treasury position...I wonder if he pays his taxes?

Couldn't help it....

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
There is no harm in stating a fact. It is plain truth that he is one of the richest in the world. It is not glorifying him to say so and telling people he is rich does not encourage them to do or deal drugs.

Sin isn't caused by knowledge, just as virtue isn't caused by ignorance.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Maybe it was the opposite comparison they were making rather than the one we are assuming.

Maybe Forbes couldn't discriminate and NOT include him since "some" big businesses are seemingly becoming AS corrupt as a drug lord - what with all the bailouts and consolidation of wealth that is becoming passe news. How DO we define wealth by criminal activity these days? tsk tsk.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

A little know fact here I guess. Unfortunately if you don't get caught and pay off the right people crime does pay.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join