It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the U.S. on the verge of a modern-day 1960's era?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I've been thinking/reading a lot lately, and it seems like the U.S. is setting itself up to repeat history. There has been plenty of talk on here about protesting, even revolts, and we all know that ATSer's aren't the only ones with these thoughts. The economic meltdown I know is not Obama's fault, but the fact that the U.S. is possibly on the 'brink' of war with Iran, & North Korea, and already involved with many other military 'ventures' including Iraq, is bound to get plenty of outrage from Americans if they were to go to war ....

www.opednews.com...
www.cbsnews.com...

And also the fact that the legalization of some drugs are becoming an ever increasing media spotlight could possibly boost it to the standard it was back in the 60's ... I was not even a thought though in the 60's, this could just be rambling, but I think it's quite possible if things continue like they are ...

Thoughts?

[edit to add] This is not meant to be a drug discussion, so please don't turn it into one ...

[edit on 12-3-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I wasn't even a twinkle in my parents eyes in the 60's and don't know much about it, but to me it seems like we could be heading to a similar movement. Although it isn't going to be to the left like in the 60's it is going to be to the right and more conservative.

I read the other article you posted and I agree with what he said about the nucleus being there. The foundation is beginning to form and this time it isn't going to be an anti-war movement but it will be a anti-big-government movement.

I see almost everyone I talk to is fed up with the government so the support is there it just needs time to build.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well I am just pointing it out...

The 60's and other such movements have tended to be LIBERATING movements and were intended to destroy or uproot the status quo.

lib·er·al (lbr-l, lbrl)
adj.
a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
c. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.

While typically it has been conservatives who...

con·ser·va·tive (kn-sûrv-tv)
adj.
1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.

Anyhow it could happen I guess -

What would be the motivating factor to get your face kicked in by grumpy cops -
and what is the goal?

Y'all need a goal that is universal and CAN INCLUDE everyone or you will never garner the support needed to effect change.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

yeah that's what i'm kind of thinking ... that it will start off on kind of a small scale anti-war movement, then escalate into a nationwide anti-government as more people get involved ...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I believe so... SUMMER OF LOVE 09

THey are trying to invoke fear and panic and cause riots, this will ensure they can bring the NWO in.

Peaceful demonstraions people.....Let the Summer of 09 begin!!

Peace and love to everyone.

-Kdial

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Nah, I remember the sixties I was a child, people didn't look like the way they look now, they were slimmer and in better shape and didn't have not problem camping without their amenities under the weather.

Now people are heavier and slower the protest better be in the spring because in the summer it will be too hot and people are too comfortable with their air conditioners at home.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
60's?

I look at the 60's as being the defining moment of the US takeover.

JFK assasination,
Vietnam,
Banking & Wall St Rise

The 60's was the last decade in which Americans ran the country, and when the last real president existed.
Since then, its been a corporate, military industrial controlled nation of consumers.

I wish I was born in the 20's,
To be in WW2, to see the moon landing, to witness the change in the western world.
So sad being around today, watching greed destroy such a good thing.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

i agree that it has tended to be liberating in an essence, i think conservative's will get involved just because they want it to go back to the way it used to be, don't asked me how it 'used to be' because i have no idea ... obama's whole campaign is for change ... i think that's enough for the conservative's to get involved ... and also i think the liberals will get involved as well because no one likes giving a lot of their money away to fund corrupt businesses ... i'm not sure what the goals would be, but as a guess they'd probably involve the u.s. focusing more on the u.s. and not trying to pick fights with other countries, to stop the wars, to legalize drugs?, and i could even see the extremist's getting involved ...

as a side note ... not too many people, in my opinion, who will go protest really will classify themselves as liberals or conservatives ... they will classify themselves as one equal movement ... i.e. the 1960's movement ...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Agreed, people want their freedom back. With constant leaps in technology people are starting to wake up to a Orwellian type 1984 scenario. The government is starting to become so blatant with what they are doing they aren't even trying to hide it.

I think this movement is going to thoroughly tick the left off. We are going to be even more divided once it starts to gain steam. Which is fine with me. I'd love to have the government out of my daily life.

They don't need to know when I open a bank account, they don't need to have access to my medical records, they don't need to know how much money I make. They don't need to know a lot of things that they have managed to but their noses into.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

haha that would definitely make it an interesting summer ... it's just a thought it just seems to me like it's pretty likely

reply to post by marg6043

good point ... i was not around in the 60's, i'm just going off of what i've learned about it ... it just seems to me like there's been a lot more talk of people getting upset with the federal government in general and it's decisions .... i agree though i don't know if people are actually going to be willing to leave the comfort of their homes .... that's why i posed the question ...

reply to post by Agit8dChop

well i have no idea what the 60's were like ... i only know from what i've learned ... i was thinking more along the lines of the whole 'hippie' movement, not sure what years those occurred ... obviously it wouldn't be the same as it was then nowadays, but close (obviously it wouldn't involve all 'hippies'), if anything would happen ...

[edit on 12-3-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
We might be heading for a new version of the 60s.

Just wont be the 1960s, it will look more like the 1860s...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

wow interesting point you bring up ... i just saw the thread about the states proposals for seceding ... never thought about it like that ... possible imo

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Nah, I remember the sixties I was a child, people didn't look like the way they look now, they were slimmer and in better shape and didn't have not problem camping without their amenities under the weather.

Now people are heavier and slower the protest better be in the spring because in the summer it will be too hot and people are too comfortable with their air conditioners at home.

Couldn't have said it better myself marg. The 60's are not going to be repeated, but some of the mistakes are I am afraid. The war in the Middle East for instance, I'm guessing that is America's new Vietnam. The only thing missing is the draft. Time has proven again and again, the only way to beat a recession down, is start a war.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic
The war in the Middle East for instance, I'm guessing that is America's new Vietnam. The only thing missing is the draft. Time has proven again and again, the only way to beat a recession down, is start a war.

i agree ... that's why i'm thinking a new movement is almost here ...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I'm not sure excatly why but the verse below sprang to my mind after reading the thread title. From those poets of the cult of the blue oyster..

This Ain't the Summer of Love - Blue Oyster Cult..

This ain’t the garden of Eden
There ain’t no angels above
And things ain’t what they used to be
And this ain’t the summer of love

We may be in for quite a summer. But, I'm thinking it won't be a summer a of love..

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

nice ... i figured it would not be the same as the how the 1960's were exactly ... i.e. a modern day 1960's era ...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Considering the music today is just as bad as it was in the '60s, you may have something there.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by SphinxMontreal]

new topics

top topics

join